Buzz/hum coming from Yamaha HS80M's when hooked up to PC
Jul 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mva5580

New Head-Fier
Having an issue I'm hoping I can get resolved.  

So I've got Yamaha HS80M speakers + Yamaha sub hooked up to my PC via an XLR to 3.5mm adapter (I have a Soundblaster Zx) and I've got this hum/buzz that I'm trying to get eliminated. It's not like unbearably horrible or anything....but it's there and I'd like it to go away. I know the PC source is the issue because 1) When I turn off the PC the sound goes away and 2) When I use the same XLR to 3.5mm adapter to go into my turntable preamp, I don't hear it.  I've tried using the onboard sound instead of the Zx, same result.  I have also hooked up the speakers with the same adapter to a laptop I have....no noise.  So it is certainly something involved with that PC. 

Does anyone have suggestions on things I could do to solve this problem? I'm not against changing out my sound card, if need be. 

The speakers sound incredible by the way....I mean holy crap.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Guessing you have a ground loop.
Guess there is a signal traveling between the PC's power cable and the Yamaha's power cable.
Are they all plugged into the same surge protector/power strip?
Plug the PC and Yamaha power cables each into separate wall plugs.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 6
They were initially all plugged into the same power strip yes, and I did try moving 1 of the speakers and the sub to a different power strip, but the same thing happened. If I kept 1 speaker in that same strip would it still have the same impact? Or would it potentially go away from the speaker that I moved?

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 6
They were initially all plugged into the same power strip yes, and I did try moving 1 of the speakers and the sub to a different power strip, but the same thing happened. If I kept 1 speaker in that same strip would it still have the same impact? Or would it potentially go away from the speaker that I moved?

You want to PC's power cord plugged into a socket separate from the both speakers and the sub-woofer power connections.
Like get a separate power strip and plug the power strip into a wall socket away from where the other power strip is plugged into the wall socket.
PC connected on one power strip and the Yamaha's plugged into the other power strip.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Well I did try it with 1 speaker and 1 sub in 1 power strip and the PC in another, and I'm getting the same sound out of the 1 speaker that I have plugged in/turned on.   It's just a long stretch for the left speaker to go to that other power strip, that's why I'm not adding that in for this test.  But with 2 of the 3 plugged into a different strip than the PC....same result.  

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 6
So I moved all 3 of the speakers to an outlet across the room via an extension cord/power strip....and problem solved.  Guess the other outlet that was close to the original was on the same "run" or something.  

Now I guess I just need to decide what I'm going to do long term to have one hooked up to the outlet closest to the PC, and 1 going long distance to the other outlet.  I haven't tried the speakers on the close outlet and the PC on the distant outlet though, if the buzz is still gone with that I imagine I'll run the PC on an extension cord around the edge of the room.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back