Buying Wire to Recable E2C's
Dec 31, 2010 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zhouf

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

This is my first time attempting to recable anything... I know nothing about it, and I just took my old e2c's apart with an exacto knife (and cut myself ~40 times in the process).

I was just wondering what kind of wire people could suggest I buy, and from where. Preferably, I'd like to be able to walk into a store and buy it, but if not I'd like to get it on a site that ships quickly...

I'm a college student, and I'll be going back to school on the 11th, where soldering and materials are not easy to come by... Suggestions?

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 9
well at least it was a cheap mistake. thats about the worst wire you could have chosen for an IEM cable i'm sorry to say. cheap, but soooo microphonic its not funny. so microphonic you would swear OTHER people can hear it

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 9
yep, truly incredible it is and I feel pity every time I see someone buy it, because of so many recommendations here. cotton may help, but I fear even that will not be enough damping to stop the wire vibrating within and against itself. worth a try though and still good experience. perhaps really thin cotton around each wire would work, but that would make for a pretty impractical IEM cable

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 9
This actually brings up something I have been curious about, after giving up on building a cable to run my Etymotic ER4 balanced.

Can anyone think of a better wire as far as microphonics are concerned? I haven't tried many, but if there is something better Id certainly give it a try.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 9
NVM

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Looks like this thread is coming back to life. I actually failed at recabling my e2c's... so I just bought another used pair. The cable is coming apart again, and I'm replanning to give recabling another shot.

On a separate not, I just bought some Grados off of a fellow Head-Fi'er and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some inexpensive recabling cable for the grados? I'm also hoping to make the cables detachable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back