Buying UK parts
Jan 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ross1

100+ Head-Fier
I decided I will take the plunge into the world of DIY headphone amps, and want to build my first CMOY.

Anyway, the tangentsoft page suggests RS components is a good place to buy parts, but I was wondering if any UK users had any other suggestions.

Also, buying a soldering iron. Is there a good cheap model to start out with? That can be bought from the same place as the rest of the components?

I see that I might need to purchase a breadboard separately, but it doesnt seem to expensive from here: Multipurpose Pc Board - T2 Enterprises UK.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Ross,

I get most of my parts from HTML Code:

Code:
[left]http://www.rapidonline.com[/left]

Their website can be a bit quirky, and their range is limited, but they're
fast.

Depending on what I'm building, though, it's often more cost-effective to
order from people in the US and elsewhere.

Enjoy your builds ..... it's costing me a fortune
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 5
I tend to order from Farnell, they offer free next day delivery but in the last year or two they have put their minimum order up to £25.

Maplin can be good, and you might well have one locally. They're more expensive, carry much less stock, and their website is awkward, but no minimum order.

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 5
FWIW, unless its heavy to post, I just go straight to mouser for nearly everything. Crazy, I know, getting stuff from the US when RS is only a few miles away, but the prices are much much less. A lot of projects here will often quote mouser part numbers which make life much easier on the DIYer.

RS are only worth it to me now for stuff thats heavy, like say a transformer.

Fran

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 5
another vote for farnell, they have a student based site where everything is cheaper again just ring up and say u are at ur local uni and they give u like another 10-15% off, i am a student but they only asked the uni name!

Farnell - world-leading distributor of electronic and maintenance, repair and operations products.

but if u are a student it is useful

ill recommend antex irons cheap and i have built cmoy alien dac and a millet max with mine just order a smaller tip for the alien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back