Buying Tubes and Live.com CashBack...
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mourip

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok. This is a tad peripheral but could make a fellow headphone amp tube roller pretty happy...

I have been laying behind the log on the Microsoft Live.com Cashback thing for a few weeks. I have watched a bunch of folks post about great savings on EBAY and I also have a buddy who just bought a MacBook using it. Currently the program offers 30% cashback on EBAY if you do a BuyNow from a US seller and use PayPal to pay for it. I poked around for quite a bit trying to find the loophole or catch but have not seen one yet. You do need to register for Live.com but there is no credit card information taken and so I do not see how there would be a hidden charge involved.

Yesterday I decided to plunge. I was looking for a backup pair of 2A3's for my Tektron integrated amp. I found a posting for 3 NOS JAN RCA 2A3's for $300. This seemed like a somewhat high price plus I only need two tubes and wanted to get more of a deal. I combined an EBAY holiday 10% off with the MS 30% off to get a price of ~$180 for the three tubes. Assuming that I do indeed get the 30% off, I can sell the third tube and come out with a very good price for the pair I need. Time will tell...
popcorn.gif

Does anyone have experience or more information regarding the Cashback program? It sure might be a good time to stock up on tubes if it really is as good as it seems...

Best,

Paul

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 8
It is 100% legit, and works perfectly. i just got the first of my rebates credited to my paypal account a few days ago

mind that you can only use it something like 12 times, and the max cashback per item is $200 (meaning anything more than an $800 purchase wont see extra benefits). other than that, good luck
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not supposed to use any other discounts with the Cashback offer. They might cancel it since you used the 10%.

I tried using the 10% off and the cashback, but when I hit 'Next', the screen reappeared and took off the 10% coupon since it could not be used together.

I noticed there are two types of cashbacks. One says you are 'eligible' for a cashback and the other is an 'Instant' cashback. I made several purchases yesterday and received both types.

Eligible - you will receive the cashback after 60 days via live.com. After the 60 days are over you can transfer it to your Paypal acct. They hold onto it in case you buy something and then return it.

Instant - you receive a payment back to your paypal account. I received the payment back to my paypal account within 5 minutes of paying for the item.

They work!!

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Instant cashback seems to be hit and miss... My uncle has had it once, all of mine are 60 day waiting period; its completely at the discretion of PayPal
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Is this for anything on ebay? How do you know for sure if an item qualifies? This could be awesome if I knew what qualifies? Thnaks

James

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this for anything on ebay? How do you know for sure if an item qualifies? This could be awesome if I knew what qualifies? Thnaks

James

I believe that the item has to have a BuyNow option and the seller has to be in the US. I think that the buyer might have to be in the US also...

It is somewhat limiting but if you find the right sale it is pretty cool. The email I recieved from Live.com said that after 60 days the money would be automatically put into my PayPal account...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back