Buying the Cambridge S30 bookshelfs
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
i've decided to sell of a few cans to get me started on a speaker set up. currently running a pair of insignia bookshelfs powered by a SI T-amp. though i am very happy with this set up(at times i prefer it to my HD650's and Corda Opera) but, i can't help but want more.

im relatively set on a pair of Cambridge s30's for around 260. i was also looking at a pair of av123 x-ls's in a wood finish which would be about 100 dollars more or a pair of audioengine a5's for the same increase. However, i feel like i can get a little more bang for my buck in a component system and the cambridges are so cheap that i wont feel bad about upgrading later on.

i was planning on driving the s30's with my T-amp until i step up with an audiomagus piece or a cambridge integrate amp. also planning on picking up a DAC or turntable after selling off my NAD 521 BEE.

does anyone see any problems with this plan or have any alternative speaker ideas?

thanks a lot guys
-jason

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 17
Look around, too, you may find it a tiny bit cheaper. I thought I saw it for $220 (not including shipping) one time.....

Another option is the KEF IQ-1, check out Accessories4less (THINK that's right), they have open box specials for I think $260 shipped, too. My friend has a higher model in the IQ series, they seem pretty nice.

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 17
Ya the s30 are pretty nice, for a little bookshelf they sound real good.

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 17
I got my X-LS Ninja Elites for $340 shipped. Used but man alive that is a great speaker. Have not heard the cambridge though.

Still, the bass, mids, treble on mine? All there.

av123 has a forum with used speakers...cough

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 17
spliff: i had read your thread about your ninja's. very nice OP. head-fi needs more fine work like yours. and thanks for the heads up - i had no idea there was a forum for used equipment. i will keep an eye on it. (the x-ls's would be my #1 choice if i could find them a little cheaper.)

teapot: i dont *think* im gonna be going for monitors just yet. when i move out from my parents house - maybe, for computer speakers - but i may be an old man by then
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 17
i found a pair of dali ikon2's on audiogon for $750 a while ago. i've always wanted a pair of dalis, and even though i REALLY shouldn't buy these(college student) im seriously tempted here guys. i was thinking of pairing them with a T-rex from audiomagus.com at some point. man... i know i shouldn't, but....
AH!

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 17
lol

when I was a student I had the most $$$ to spend ever. I was making $75k at a fancy pants resteraunt and not paying any bills b/c I had a scholarship and my parents were kind enough to provide me with everything but food. Awesome times. Too bad I was ignorant of high end audio then. Well, there were too many girls to spend $$ on anyway lol.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-LS (Classic) BS Square Grills - AV123.com Forum

X-LS for under $200. Pass that up! lol

Even better deal IMO is the clearance of the "classic" X series. An X-CS (MTM arrangement, can be used as an L-C-R kind of speaker) for $99 each! Or a floorstander X-MTM for $300 a pair.

Awesome deal IMO, if you have the room....

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even better deal IMO is the clearance of the "classic" X series. An X-CS (MTM arrangement, can be used as an L-C-R kind of speaker) for $99 each! Or a floorstander X-MTM for $300 a pair.

Awesome deal IMO, if you have the room....

Yeah. I really thought about posting that. Great deals. No upgrades for me though really. I need a new pre amp bad.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 17
i just listened to a pair of audioengine a5's at school. its true what they say about the bass, but MAN were they veiled. smooth mids, but my god, the highs were terrible. maybe it was the environment i was in... but i am fairly sure i am not going to be purchasing a pair of these. my insignia's actually sounded better!

this has gotten me thinking, instead of buying the new speakers first, as i had planned, i might pick up a new integrated amp instead. i was thinking the T-Rex at audiomagus. the line has gotten some good reviews, and i am in need of a decent DAC. plus i will probably have more money for speakers later.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 17
T-Rex is good. Emotiva BPA-1 is a steal too. I am getting two to use as monoblocks.

Dac? Lite Dac Ah modded = good sound for under $300. Maybe the best of class truly. Modded Zhalous are sweet too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back