buying stocks and shares
Jan 10, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone advise on good places to buy stocks? I have about 10K that I want to put into stocks for a couple of years. Something balanced like index trackers would be ideal. Looking for low fees and annual charges. Anyone willing to share any wisdom here?

Cheers

CSMR

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 14
Take a look at Vanguard. I haven't checked recently but their index mutual funds are highly regarded and they have low service fees. I have an account with them btw.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 14
it depends on your time horizon and your feelings about potential risk. Give me a bit on that and I may be able to help you out. Fair warning that the markets (United states specifically) are in a statistical downcycle despite the DJIA's (Dow Jones) rising points, so the markets numbers are quite decieving to the naked eye.
Also, do you have any prior investment experience?

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Take a look at Vanguard. I haven't checked recently but their index mutual funds are highly regarded and they have low service fees. I have an account with them btw.

Looks good; thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I may have difficulties with them as a non-US resident, but I will see what's possible. (I am in the US on a student visa.)

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
it depends on your time horizon and your feelings about potential risk. Give me a bit on that and I may be able to help you out. Fair warning that the markets (United states specifically) are in a statistical downcycle despite the DJIA's (Dow Jones) rising points, so the markets numbers are quite decieving to the naked eye.
Also, do you have any prior investment experience?

Moderate tolerance of risk, and it's a short term investment, possibly only for a couple of years. I don't have much experience with investment but I do have some small investments (from when the UK allowed a certain amount of tax-free investments).

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 14
Well Vanguard does have some good stuff, but now may not be the time to jump in as I alluded to earlier. From an American stock point of view things, I am fairly certain to turn sour for a bit fairly soon, though may well recover quite quickly. From a world point of view there is plenty of money to be made especially in india and japan being that those countries are booming (ewj and ifn are two examples). Historically speaking the US market dips right in-between elections (2006), but this is not a bad thing if you buy at that time instead of freak out and sell everything and come out with two pennies to rub together.
I think that investing takes time and lumps to learnbeing that it is a combination of Micro-economics, Macro-economics and an abundance of awareness (which is why brokers are paid so much and good brokers and paid even more). I would think it best for you to find a good broker that isn't intrenched in a huge institution as I was recommended to quite an honest fellow a couple years ago and have learned as I went along. If you don't know much about stocks and economics (and, often times, even if you do) you are bound to find people giving you very broad suggestions like Vanguard or very specific and volatile ones.

Another factor you might want to consider is wether you wish to check up on your stocks on a daly basis or you are more of a cruise control type of fellow as this really determines quite a bit of investment strategy.

To sum up, find someone who knows a lot more than you and is honest
biggrin.gif

And don't commit if you are in doubt. Hopefully someone you know at least knows a decent broker, try a friendly lawyer that you know or older family members or friends. Of course, these strategies might just end up getting you into trouble if you ask the wrong people for help.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Moderate tolerance of risk, and it's a short term investment, possibly only for a couple of years. I don't have much experience with investment but I do have some small investments (from when the UK allowed a certain amount of tax-free investments).

If you're only in it for a short term and have no investment experience on top of that, I'd be very hesitant about putting money in the stock market.

Like Gigabomber says, if you really want to invest, find a good adviser.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 14
I find the US too dangerous to invest in right now for many reasons. There doesn't seem to be enough reward for the risk you are taking.

That's why, being a canadian, I have focused my portfolio 100% on canadian stocks. Especially resource companies.

We are in a ~10 year cycle were the US stock market should do nothing or go down where commodities rule.

Canada has all the commodities many countries need.

I suggest you visit blog and read about some of the small resource companies I'm recommending.

I invest my own money in what I recommend and I am doing great this year.

FYI, I like uranium and silver small caps the best for 2006.

Browse around my site for a while and make sure you paper-invest before you put up real money.

You have a great head start for a young guy. Make sure you know what you're doing before you commit.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
http://game.marketwatch.com

Since I started "virtual trading' I've lost $100 virtual dollars.
tongue.gif
On new Years it actually went all the way up to $10,180

That's the next step after paper trading :p

But I have to warn you, you will trade differently when you start dealing with real money but try it anyways.

Virtual trading=I 100% money-back guarantee you won't lose any money
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 14
Do not touch mutual funds in the current market place; you will get burned.

None of the sectors are performing admirably...I'd recommend investing in the horses and ditching the scrubs that most mutual funds invest in (COUGH COUGH, GM; to think that they invest in GM but not Altria...).

If you don't know any better, invest in the sin stocks through your ROTH and you will be sitting pretty.

-Matt

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Do not touch mutual funds in the current market place; you will get burned.

None of the sectors are performing admirably...I'd recommend investing in the horses and ditching the scrubs that most mutual funds invest in (COUGH COUGH, GM; to think that they invest in GM but not Altria...).

If you don't know any better, invest in the sin stocks through your ROTH and you will be sitting pretty.

-Matt

if you think the market is lousy now then it is precisely the time to buy and accumulate shares. anyways the best strategy is dollar cost averaging over a lifetime. i have been pumping money into the market and will continue to do so. as the real estate market cools perhaps the stock market will pick up although with the retirement of the baby boomers alot of money may be potentially leaving the market. i actually like mutual funds because they spread out the risk.
about the advisor, i am torn. i recently got an advisor but he charges 1% of assets and there are sales loads on the funds...but i decided he will manage my employment accounts and i will do my own after tax accounts and we will see in 5 years if he earns the right to keep managing my money.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 14
I've never invested but id say chinese textile industry. They make HUGE profits.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
If you're only in it for a short term and have no investment experience on top of that, I'd be very hesitant about putting money in the stock market.

Like Gigabomber says, if you really want to invest, find a good adviser.

Ditto this.
Wait until you have a better idea as to what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back