Buying Stax SR-009 From PriceJapan.com??
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

gtiboy

New Head-Fier
Hi all, has anyone here successfully bought headphones from PriceJapan.com?  I see the prices of Stax SR-009 is over a £1000 cheaper once you do the currency conversion into pounds. My question is will you be charged VAT and import duty? or is it like any normal package coming from abroad and slips by customs?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 88
Yep, bought mine from them. Worked like a charm. No extra cost if you tell them to mark it down.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 88
When importing, just be prepared to be stung with VAT and breathe easy if you don't. I have bought audio gear imported into the UK, under the value of £500 and so far have been lucky. 

I did note that when I got my DAC from Audio-GD, the box had been opened before, I should think by customs. No problems though. Not sure whether anything changes if the prices is higher (relatively). But as above poster has proven so, you should be fine. Just be prepared. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 88
I am in NZ and everything that has a higher commercial value than 400.- NZ Dollar will be taxed.
So I usually tell sellers to mark the price down,which also means that insurance only covers that value.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 88
Do you have to email them before they ship it out, to tell them to mark down a false cheaper price of the product to escape customs or am I misunderstanding? Did you ship via EMS? reading other threads they seem to be good at not getting caught my customs as opposed to DHL.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 88
Yeah, just email them and tell them to mark it down after you place the order. I shipped with EMS which is what they recommended.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 88
About a hundred usd iirc. Just remember that if it gets lost you're pretty much screwed ;P

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 88
Yeah pricejapan add the insurance cover on top of all the other charges required including shipping. Just wondered how that would affect the insurance on the product if there is a false price on the box just to escape customs. Most people that have bought items from pricejapan.com live either in the US or else where, have not seen anyone buy from the UK and their experience with UK customs?

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 88
Please also ask to put the mark-down price in the invoice or not to put the invoice with full price into the box.

My experience with other purchase was the shop showed me mercy to mark down the price on the declared slip, but inserted full price invoice into the box. The custom randomly picked up my box to inspect and bingo .... Sigh -_-"

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 88
Quote:
Please also ask to put the mark-down price in the invoice or not to put the invoice with full price into the box.
My experience with other purchase was the shop showed me mercy to mark down the price on the declared slip, but inserted full price invoice into the box. The custom randomly picked up my box to inspect and bingo .... Sigh -_-"

Who did you ship yours with?

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 88
PriceJapan is fairly decent  place to order from Japan other then warranty/service...the process is lengthy and cost additional dough.
another place I`d recommend is  musicaacoustics.com. Name of owner is Dimitris. Very reliable service and also price was good. I have not seen Stax brand on the site but I ordered several items from them that were not listed there.
I do recall Dimitris commented about VAT charge is high unless declare as gift with low value. Check with Pricejapan or Musica to make sure you dont get slammed with VAT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back