Buying Sony MDR-E888's from www.themercantiletx.com? Has anyone bought from there?
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

therealfinale

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if the Sony MDR-E888LP headphones here are genuine: http://www.themercantiletx.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&language=en&products_id=475

Has anyone had any experience buying from this website?

I have been looking for these particular headphones for the past month or two, and it seems within the past week this website obtained a new stock of these headphones. I was pretty excited and bought them without a second thought, but now I'm worried if these will be genuine or not.

Although it states shipping is 5-7 days, I'm pretty sure these are being shipped from China, considering that the tracking website is Chinese (http://www.gotrace.cn/gotrace/searchCategory?lang=en) and that the tracking number has "CN" at the end.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 3
One of the most counterfeited headphones of all time... Google "e888lp counterfeit". When yours arrive inspect packaging very closely. If packaging looks authentic i would next google that seller to see if they have any www history selling counterfeit sony cans.

Weigh all the data and then make a decision on what to do next.

Sorry i dont have any first hand exerience with that seller

May 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, just as an update to the Sony MDR-E888LP earphones I purchased from themercantiletx website, it was completely fake. You can see here pictures of fake and real versions of these earphones, and the ones I received resembled the fake ones in every way. Regarding the actual quality, all I can conclusively say is these at least sound better than the MDR-E828's, as I haven't had experience with the other models.

I canceled my credit card transaction due to this.

In case anyone reads this, I'll inform you on my experience and how to determine if a website is genuine or at least ostensibly fake.

-themercantiletx did not reply to any of my emails (one even typed in Chinese) or phone calls over the course of several days
-the website's layout is unprofessional and "looks" fake...although some legit websites that are managed badly look like that too
-the website itself uses strange third-party payment verification that takes several days to verify credit card information, which I've never seen before (and I've bought numerous things online from numerous websites over the years)
-this website and some others use low prices to boost website visits from Google AdSense (Google name of product, and its link to the website shows up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back