Buying Sony MDR-E888's from themercantiletx (website)? Has anyone bought from there?
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

therealfinale

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a pair of Sony MDR-E888's for the past month or two, and a website (themercantiletx) seems to have just gotten a new stock of these headphones within the past week or two. I bought them on impulse for $70, but now I'm wondering if they might be genuine or not.

I received a tracking code ending in CN, and the tracking website is a Chinese one ending in .cn.

Has anyone bought from this website before or have any experience with Sony MDR-E888's shipped from China?

Thanks in advance for the help.

May 8, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 7
im actually on this site right now, i'd like to know if you got your cans(it takes about a month to deliver, 've recently ordered some random earphones for work and it took a month...). however, on their shipping page, it says 2-7 days free shipping, so i am not sure. what to expect. i'm looking at the ath-m50s right now. please reply!

May 8, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi, don't do it. This was my reply to my other thread about this:

Well, just as an update to the Sony MDR-E888LP earphones I purchased from themercantiletx website, it was completely fake. You can see here pictures of fake and real versions of these earphones, and the ones I received resembled the fake ones in every way. Regarding the actual quality, all I can conclusively say is these at least sound better than the MDR-E828's, as I haven't had experience with the other models.

I canceled my credit card transaction due to this.

In case anyone reads this, I'll inform you on my experience and how to determine if a website is genuine or at least ostensibly fake.

-themercantiletx did not reply to any of my emails (one even typed in Chinese) or phone calls over the course of several days
-the website's layout is unprofessional and "looks" fake...although some legit websites that are managed badly look like that too
-the website itself uses strange third-party payment verification that takes several days to verify credit card information, which I've never seen before (and I've bought numerous things online from numerous websites over the years)
-this website and some others use low prices to boost website visits from Google AdSense (Google name of product, and its link to the website shows up)

May 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 7
We advice all of you to buy from authorized sellers and if you're looking for deals, there's a thread where you could subscribe and check periodically for legitimate deals.

I updated the counterfeited headphones' list 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/691594/counterfeited-headphones-list

May 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 7
OK thanks for the heads up.  I think I posted this a couple weeks ago in the other thread, but the MDR-E888 is one of the most commonly faked and counterfeited headphones of the past decade.   There are old HF threads going back to ~2005-6 on the topic... IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back