Buying ps3, which one should I buy?
Apr 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying ps3, it seems there are some ver. of the console. The newest one seems to be a dumbdown ver. Which ver. of ps3 console is the best one?
Any ps3 games recommendation? I'm going to get the soul calibur 4 for $10 in bestbuy.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 15
If your not huge in playing old PS2 games on a PS3, then get the PS3 80GB. You recently just missed out on Dell's $300 PS3 deal. It expired 1-2 days ago, I believe.

I got my PS3 with the MGS 4 Bundle a while back. I'm happy with it. It played all the PS2 games I threw in it, ie Dynasty Warriors 4 and Final Fantasy 12. It's a great multimedia center, which is what I use it for. I upgraded the 80GB hdd to a 400GB and I'm already out of space :p. I uploaded a bunch of DvD rips and 720p/1080p HD rips. I also stream over movies with Java PS3 Media Server and upload movies with HFS+ (http server). You can also use the PS3 Web Browser and visit streaming sites like Hulu.com and etc. Which is always a nice feature. For all this you may want to use a wired connection for a more stable and faster speed.

Games I would recommend are: Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Burnout Paradise, and Killzone 2. Scroll to the bottom and click Highest Rated

The cons for the PS3:
No mkv support, so you have to transcode everything. PSN isn't as good as Live!, but it will get there eventually. Sony releases firmware updates every once in awhile. Pretty much all my gamer friends only have a 360. So it does get lonely when you own a PS3 and everyone you know friends and family have a 360, but I also have a 360. I'm mostly a PC gamer anyways, so I only get on the consoles once or twice a week. My brothers play the consoles more than I do.

EDIT: If your going for HD audio as well here is a guide to set it up. I don't own a HDMI receiver so I can't put any input on it.

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 15
MGS4 and Burnout Paradise are good recommendations. I also like Fallout 3 (only if you like RPGs), Little Big Planet and GTA IV. I have Killzone 2, it's a good game but the controls are horrible. The first two acts of MSG4 might be the finest video game experience (sound, graphics, control, difficulty) you'll ever experience. The game drags a bit after that but definitely well worth the price of admission.

The hard drive is *very* easily upgraded so don't let the larger sizes tempt you into spending more money. I have a 320 GB drive in mine as I had filled up my 40GB with game installs and saves. I mostly stream video and music from my PC (very easy to set-up) so I don't fill the PS3 drive with media.

May 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 15
Keep yourself posted on deals @ Slickdeals.net and CheapAssGamer.com (I think HomeDepot has a deal on PS3's) , I picked out some awesome deals on their. I recently got an HP G60-230US for 480 shipped and taxed and it's amazing. I'm typing on it right now.

2ghz Dual Core
300gb hdd
3gb memory

Works like a dream and I "Mac-ified it using VistaOSX09 (Google it if interested!) I personally love it, but I'm coming from a Linux platform.

Also, some good games are: GTA IV (if you're into that), Call of Duty 4 (COD WaW is a waste of time, don't buy it), LittleBigPlanet, Left For Dead, The Orange Box, Rockband, (Insert final fantasy game),

May 4, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 15
If you're into strategy, check out Valkyria Chronicles. Fun game, if not a bit frustrating at times. Not quite controller-flinging, but a couple of the missions took me 4-5 hours to finish and I happen to be someone who prides himself on strategic ability. In any case, the demo is on PSN and I highly recommend giving it a shot.

As for the model to buy, I'm happy with my 20GB. Suck a 320GB HDD in it, works like a charm. Mostly use it for streaming music to a proper sound setup and for PS2 games though. If you're not going to play PS2 games on it, you should just go for whatever is cheapest; the emotion engine hardware or software emulation functionality is what's propping up older generation prices, and if you're not going to use it there's no sense in paying for it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaughterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 60GB model is the best one, but if you want to buy the best new model, go with the 80GB MGS4 bundle.

the 60gb is said to be the best cause it has a full ps2 inside it unlike the 80gb metal gear ps3. i would seriously look at those two and like others said the hard drive can be easily upgraded later on if you really become hardcore about it.

i bought my 60gb at game stop months back but i only play GTA4 on it, actually i dont really even play the game..more like i just kill people in the game. something about beeping at a hooker to get her to come up to the car then capping her in the head is so weirdly interesting...
ph34r.gif

check on the wiki of ps3 for model comparison, then call game stops or look on ebay/CL for a used model.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 15
Go with the 40/80GB model and then just install a larger HDD in it. Or, if you need PS2 compatibility, go with the 20/60/80(w/Motostorm model)GB.

In terms of games go with: CoD4, UFC 2009, Bioshock, Oblivion, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted(every gamer needs to play Uncharted), and GT5: Prologue.

Also take a look around the Playstation Network Store which offers great, shorter games for a lot cheaper. My favorite are Fl0w (really cool concept, no buttons, only motion sensing, really relaxing and immersive) and Super Stardust HD (really fun and addicting).

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying ps3, it seems there are some ver. of the console. The newest one seems to be a dumbdown ver. Which ver. of ps3 console is the best one?
Any ps3 games recommendation? I'm going to get the soul calibur 4 for $10 in bestbuy.

The 60GB and 20GB models had hardware compatibility with the PS2, meaning the backwards compatibility was 100% perfect. Needless to say, Sony stopped making those. You can sometimes find an old 20GB for a reasonable price, but for what most 60GB PS3s go for, you might as well get a new PS3 and get a PS2 for the PS2 games. The hard drive size doesn't really matter...the hard drive's replaceable with any SATA laptop hard drive. The 20GB does lack Wifi, though. Both these models also have SACD compatibility (which I guess us audiophiles care about).

Next best is the old 80GB; it had software compatibility, which in my experience pretty much always works. Like the 60GB & 20GB, it plays SACDs too. However, it's kind of hard to tell from the new 80GB, which doesn't have any kind of PS2 compatibility or SACD playback. You can tell the difference by their model numbers, but it's easier to tell by what they're bundled with (the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle was the last PS3 with backwards compatibility).

If you don't care about backwards compatibility or SACD, just avoid the 40GB. They all have Blu-ray playback; that's required since the games are on Blu-ray. All the backwards-compatible ones and the new 80GB have four USB ports, but all the newer ones only have two (you can always recharge controllers on your computer, though...it's a standard USB > mini-USB cable).

As for games, I was a big fan of MGS4, and, off the PS Network, Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Echochrome. Mirror's Edge was fun, but not worth the price. Check out the Dark Sector demo...the Galaive is awesome with the sixaxis.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaughterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 60GB model is the best one, but if you want to buy the best new model, go with the 80GB MGS4 bundle.

Isn't it better to buy the regular 80gb version for 400$ and then buy MGS4 separately for 40$?

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it better to buy the regular 80gb version for 400$ and then buy MGS4 separately for 40$?

The MGS bundle was the last PS3 produced with PS2 backwards compatibility...if you can find a new MGS bundle, then $500 or so is a real steal, since you know you're getting a backwards-compatible 80GB, while just getting an 80GB you probably won't.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 15
FWIW, I found the software compatibility of the MGS4 80GB w/PS2 games very hit and miss. I think we ran around 50:50 as to PS2 games that were playable - some slowed to a stand still in action intensive scenes, others just froze. Some played fine though.

As a result we just built up our PS3 game collection quickly and skip most of the PS2 games now...

I'd check out inFamous and Killzone 2 from the '09 releases, but a lot depends on what games you like - lots of good ones out there for the PS3...

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I found the software compatibility of the MGS4 80GB w/PS2 games very hit and miss. I think we ran around 50:50 as to PS2 games that were playable - some slowed to a stand still in action intensive scenes, others just froze. Some played fine though.

As a result we just built up our PS3 game collection quickly and skip most of the PS2 games now...

I'd check out inFamous and Killzone 2 from the '09 releases, but a lot depends on what games you like - lots of good ones out there for the PS3...

Which PS2 games were you playing? Everything I tried with the MGS bundle PS3 worked perfectly (then again, I didn't have that many PS2 games).

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 15
id stick with the 80gb thats out right now, although there is going to be a proce drop soon.

definately get killzone 2 and resident evil 5

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 15
oh ya, you'll definately want to invest in a controller charging system if you want 2 controllers. the way they have you do it out of the box is kinda crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back