Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #5,102 of 5,364
Looking for a good pair of in ears for Rock/Metal up to £100, isolation isn't a huge worry, just good quality. Want something well built as had a couple pairs of Soundmagic now and they don't last long.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

May 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #5,104 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a good pair of in ears for Rock/Metal up to £100, isolation isn't a huge worry, just good quality. Want something well built as had a couple pairs of Soundmagic now and they don't last long.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Brainwavz M2, JVC FX500, EX600(if you can find one for that price).

May 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5,105 of 5,364
Quote:
No. +1 means that he agrees with me that xb500 is comfortable. Sounding artificial means that the sound is unreal and not natural.

Finally I tried the XB500, they are not bad at all, with many songs with bass of them are good, while others are a bit more where it feels a little dry, and gives me the bad emotion that I get with earphones serial Creative Zen .

For the volume to the max I would say that we're here, is higher than the akg K518.
But I feel that the XB500 can give more, I think we need to resort to an amplifier type Fiio those, it seems to me that the E6 is more appropriate, so as to add a name ulteriroe bass boost when needed.

What do you say, I buy the XB500 (which all in all I liked) or take the Jvc ha-s500?

May 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5,106 of 5,364
Quote:
Finally I tried the XB500, they are not bad at all, with many songs with bass of them are good, while others are a bit more where it feels a little dry, and gives me the bad emotion that I get with earphones serial Creative Zen .

For the volume to the max I would say that we're here, is higher than the akg K518.
But I feel that the XB500 can give more, I think we need to resort to an amplifier type Fiio those, it seems to me that the E6 is more appropriate, so as to add a name ulteriroe bass boost when needed.

What do you say, I buy the XB500 (which all in all I liked) or take the Jvc ha-s500?

If you like XB500, and you have demoed XB500, go with the XB500. No matter what we say, trying them before buying is the safest bet.

May 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #5,107 of 5,364
What IEM would you suggest for me?

Budget: Around $250

Genres: Electronic (Trance i.e Armin Van Buuren, Tritonal, Dash Berlin, ect)

Current IEM: JVC-FXT90

Device: iPhone 5

Preferred: Straight down, I can't stand over the ear IEMs.

I really feel like that FXT-90s do not have nearly enough bass or kick to them for the big drops in the songs I listen to. I want something with more punch but not over powered or fatiguing. What do you guys suggest?

May 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #5,108 of 5,364
Quote:

Budget: Around $250

Genres: Electronic (Trance i.e Armin Van Buuren, Tritonal, Dash Berlin, ect)

Current IEM: JVC-FXT90

Device: iPhone 5

Preferred: Straight down, I can't stand over the ear IEMs.

I really feel like that FXT-90s do not have nearly enough bass or kick to them for the big drops in the songs I listen to. I want something with more punch but not over powered or fatiguing. What do you guys suggest?

W3, Triple Fi, HeirAudio 3.ai

May 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #5,109 of 5,364
Budget: Preferably around $50, willing to go to $100 max if there is something a lot better at that price point for my criteria

Genres: I listen to a wide range of stuff, but emphasis on electronic (Trance, dance, etc)

Current IEM: Klipsch S4I

Device: IPhone 4S

Preferred: Straight down and comfortable (something I can sleep with). Never tried over the ear but would be open.

That being said, I don't want a lot of bass, something sufficient without being too booming if that helps? A balanced sound similar to that of the UE 500's.On amazon and eligible for Prime shipping. 

Models I'm looking at
-Westone UM1
-Shure 215 (What is the difference between the K live sound monitor, and the CL sound isolating?)
-something from Etymotics? 
-UE 500 (had then lost it, wouldn't mind buying again)
-Some of the Cosmic Ears and Heir Audio's I've seen referenced here look interesting, but if I was going to get one of those, free and quick shipping would be needed.
- HiFiMan RE-0 (Unavailable on Amazon)

Any other recommendations? 

A question about sizing for headphones: I recently bought Klipsch Image One's that are supposed to be on ear. I have a big head, and although the fit is comfortable enough, the bottom of my ear lobes stick a little from the bottom of the headphones. Is this ok or does it mean that they're too small? 

Thanks for the help! 

May 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5,110 of 5,364
Quote:
If you like XB500, and you have demoed XB500, go with the XB500. No matter what we say, trying them before buying is the safest bet.

What does mean "demoed"?

As I said I tried them, and for the amount of bass are good for the songs that have already lots of bass, but with other songs that have little bass, the few remain low, it is not like your home stereo amplifier that pressing "loudness "takes the magic.

To increase fullness of sound, I need to buy the FiiO E6 or is money poorly spent?

May 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #5,111 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, 

Finally registered here, after lurking for years. I'm kind of debating about what to get myself for my travel setup (planes etc.) I listen to a variety of music (from classical to current rap). I would like something that is also a portable closed headset. This is for a Nexus 7 as a main player, which has not so good built in audio so I plan to get a portable DAC to run through. Here's my dilemma. They have Amperiors on Amazon for a great price and they happen to be the headset that has what I am looking for in a headset. If I decide to snatch those at that price I will have to hold off on the DAC, since I will be priced out of my budget. Is there anything else out there that gives a similar sound?

I have also looked at :
V-Moda M-80
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Beyer DT1350

The M-80s are the only option really that will allow me to stay within my budget with the DAC ( of those I have looked at)

I want to add that I do already own JVC sa400s. 

I just have that itch 
frown.gif

My Amperior order was cancelled so I am back to the drawing board. I have pretty much narrowed it to the M-80 and DT1350. Versatility(Music), comfort (long flights) and isolation is what matters most. All opinions welcomed. 

May 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5,112 of 5,364
Quote:
W3, Triple Fi, HeirAudio 3.ai

Thanks for the feedback, but the W3 and TF10 are both around the ear and the Heir is way to expensive considering I have to use an audiologist to get them fit correctly.

May 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,113 of 5,364
Hey, I've specially registered here to post this. I need help in choosing the IEMs. I live in Poland and some of Your recommended IEMs could be unavailable here. Thanks for replies and help! Hope that will help. I couldn't afford myself for experimenting with IEMs and it would be better if the recommendations include the postage costs (around 5$ in Poland).

Budget: Around $25-30 (as I live in Poland, it's 100 PLN), really 20-25$ (the missing 5$ is the shipping cost).

Genres: Electronic (not the modern spawn-offs like dubstep or so, I love Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk and appreciate the music of Depeche Mode, Vangelis, Radio Massacre International) and Metal (Slayer is my favourite but I also listen to Metallica and Iron Maiden), Rock (favourite: Beatles but I am discovering the music of The Rolling Stones and sometimes I listen to Pink Floyd or Mike Oldfield (this guy should be listed by me even in Classical - he did (nearly) everything during his career).

Current IEM: quite cheap Panasonic IEMs (around half of my budget, paid for them 50 PLN and they were my first IEMs)

Device: iPod 5G, 80 GB, rockboxed (would love to have the 120 GB one :p)

Preferred: Straight down, I can't stand over the ear IEMs (never tried them :)). Would love the good isolation (as I am using IEMs for commuting). I have a small ears (had to use S-sized tips with my IEMs).

May 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5,114 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, but the W3 and TF10 are both around the ear and the Heir is way to expensive considering I have to use an audiologist to get them fit correctly.

Ok. You don't want around the ears. Also, you don't need to see an audiologist for 3.ai, as they are universals, not customs. Then, my suggestion goes to JVC FX500/700. Also, if you don't mind little lack of isolation, sony EX600 are good as well.

Quote:
What does mean "demoed"?

As I said I tried them, and for the amount of bass are good for the songs that have already lots of bass, but with other songs that have little bass, the few remain low, it is not like your home stereo amplifier that pressing "loudness "takes the magic.

To increase fullness of sound, I need to buy the FiiO E6 or is money poorly spent?

Demoed means that you tried them. Also, E6 might be worth having if you don't have any headphone amp, but there won't be a big improvement in sound.

May 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #5,115 of 5,364
Quote:
My Amperior order was cancelled so I am back to the drawing board. I have pretty much narrowed it to the M-80 and DT1350. Versatility(Music), comfort (long flights) and isolation is what matters most. All opinions welcomed. 

Purely SQ wise, no portables come close to DT1350 imo. Isolation is better on DT1350, but comfort is slightly under decent. I can wear my DT1350 for 1-2hrs. M-80, on the other hand is bit bassy but it has decent comfort with so-so isolation. Sound wise, DT1350 is neutral and M-80 is more warm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back