Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #5,026 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
ok. to keep it simple, if you like bass, monsters are a good option. If you like mids, go for spider voice. Can you at least tell me what part of music you like? Bass is for drums and bassguitars. They have impact. Mids are vocals or string, and highs are cymbals and high pitched instrument. Does that help?

What if he/she just likes the music and all that of which it entails.   What if he/she wants an IEM that reproduces the music as it was initially intended by the producers and engineers?    Isn't it true that if you get an IEM that favors a particular instrument, that it will, more than likely, not favor another one?

That's what I don't understand when people suggest a particular IEM for a particular genre of music.   If an IEM is an accurate reproducer of what is recorded, won't it be accurate across all genre's of music?

OH!  Well in that case, then he/she should get the JH13 Pro Freqphase Edition!  Easy, piece of cake! 
smile.gif

Okay, now that we're back in the real world, where not everyone can spend almost $1,500.00 USD, let's accept the fact that concessions have to be made.  And one of those concessions is a difference in sound signature... because not every manufacturer in the world has got a lock on how to make the perfect IEM driver/housing combination... much less do it affordably.

May 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #5,027 of 5,364
Quote:

OH!  Well in that case, then he/she should get the JH13 Pro Freqphase Edition!  Easy, piece of cake! 
smile.gif

Okay, now that we're back in the real world, where not everyone can spend almost $1,500.00 USD, let's accept the fact that concessions have to be made.  And one of those concessions is a difference in sound signature... because not every manufacturer in the world has got a lock on how to make the perfect IEM driver/housing combination... much less do it affordably.

Does one really have to spend that kind of money to get an IEM that doesn't favor one instrument over another?

I've heard many reviews on IEM's, such as the RE-400, that states that it's an IEM that goes well with just about all genre's of music, and that's only 100 bucks.   It obviously won't do it as well as a JH-13PRO, but does it not get closer to what the engineers intended than an IEM that is designed to favor one instrument or musical genre of another?

I mean, I totally get that there are many that like to salt and pepper their music, but there are many others who want to get as close to the original intent of the engineers and artist as possible and I would hate to think that the only way to even approach that is to have to spend 1300 bucks.

May 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5,028 of 5,364
Quote:

What if he/she just likes the music and all that of which it entails.   What if he/she wants an IEM that reproduces the music as it was initially intended by the producers and engineers?    Isn't it true that if you get an IEM that favors a particular instrument, that it will, more than likely, not favor another one?

That's what I don't understand when people suggest a particular IEM for a particular genre of music.   If an IEM is an accurate reproducer of what is recorded, won't it be accurate across all genre's of music?

If that is a case, everyone should get ER4P or a UERM. Those IEMs are tuned perfectly flat, meaning that it has no boost in any frequency, giving the most accurate sound from a recording. However, many people prefer coloration to their music. I even sometimes prefer colored SE535 over UERM. Again, it's all matter of preference. For example, people like rock with forward mids and aggressive highs and rap with boosted bass. UERM doesn't cover all music, although it can cover most.

May 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #5,029 of 5,364
Quote:
If that is a case, everyone should get ER4P or a UERM. Those IEMs are tuned perfectly flat, meaning that it has no boost in any frequency, giving the most accurate sound from a recording. However, many people prefer coloration to their music. I even sometimes prefer colored SE535 over UERM. Again, it's all matter of preference. For example, people like rock with forward mids and aggressive highs and rap with boosted bass. UERM doesn't cover all music, although it can cover most.

Yes, that I totally understand and I think I mentioned that in the post above in regards to personal preferences.

May 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,030 of 5,364
Quote:

Yes, that I totally understand and I think I mentioned that in the post above in regards to personal preferences.

Whoops. Sorry about that. I should read more recent post before posting. But if you like flat sound and are on a budget, Etys are pretty good for its 250 price tag. Heir audio also sells Tzar line, which are designed to be flat as well.

May 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #5,031 of 5,364
Quote:
The Shure se215 have my eye and seem to match what I'm wanting I think.

~$100 price point.
Over-the-ear design for working out and being active on my ipod.

Three questions I have...
1) Are these good for electronic music (ambient, psybient, psychill, downtempo)?
2) Any other over-the-ear IEM's at this pricepoint I should consider before buying?
3) How big of an upgrade/difference will I notice between these and my current inexpensive M6's?

1. I don't know. SE215 bass edition would probably fit better.
2. SE215 bass edition, GR07, GR07 Bass edition.
3. First, isolation improves a lot. Then, clarity and detail will be much better than M6. I would recommend upgrading.

May 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #5,032 of 5,364
Hey guys!  

I am thinking of getting myself a graduation gift (lol) and I'm looking at the Shure SE215CL's or the Creative Aurvana 3's.  I'm looking for the more balanced and detailed of the two and one thing I MUST have is NO SIBILANCE.  I really don't mind if the treble is rolled off a bit or if its just really clear, i just need non straining treble at all costs.  I actually am a treble head myself, but any sibilance, as I have said, is a deal breaker for me... 

If anyone who has heard both or even just one tell me what the best pick would be, that would be great!

A graduating audiophile,

S3V3RI7Y

May 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #5,033 of 5,364
The GR07's are a little more than what I am willing to spend at this time.

Quote:
1. I don't know. SE215 bass edition would probably fit better.
2. SE215 bass edition, GR07, GR07 Bass edition.
3. First, isolation improves a lot. Then, clarity and detail will be much better than M6. I would recommend upgrading.

Quote:
The Shure se215 have my eye and seem to match what I'm wanting I think.

~$100 price point.
Over-the-ear design for working out and being active on my ipod.

Three questions I have...
1) Are these good for electronic music (ambient, psybient, psychill, downtempo)?
2) Any other over-the-ear IEM's at this pricepoint I should consider before buying?
3) How big of an upgrade/difference will I notice between these and my current inexpensive M6's?

May 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #5,034 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, pretty much what he said (except for the perfectly flat part). 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

Does one really have to spend that kind of money to get an IEM that doesn't favor one instrument over another?

Yes and no.  There's no such thing as truly flat or neutral.  It's all about how close we can get to that mark.  And of course, the closer we want to get, the more it will cost.  I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of diminishing returns, well the same applies here.

Quote:
I've heard many reviews on IEM's, such as the RE-400, that states that it's an IEM that goes well with just about all genre's of music, and that's only 100 bucks.   It obviously won't do it as well as a JH-13PRO, but does it not get closer to what the engineers intended than an IEM that is designed to favor one instrument or musical genre of another?

The RE-400 is a very good balanced IEM, especially for $100.  In fact, I recommend it quite often.  However, it is not perfect, not even close.  And for certain types of music (especially bass-heavy music) it is most likely not going to reproduce what the artist/engineer intended.

Um, you've heard them right?  When you hear them, you'll understand what I mean.

Quote:

I mean, I totally get that there are many that like to salt and pepper their music, but there are many others who want to get as close to the original intent of the engineers and artist as possible and I would hate to think that the only way to even approach that is to have to spend 1300 bucks.

Perfection costs.  That's not a Head-Fi axiom, but it really should be now that I think about it.  Anyway, there are a few of things you should keep in mind.

First of all, not everybody hears the same way.  It's quirky I know, but genetic diversity means that many of us have different ears.  So even if there is one perfect and standardized piece of kit out there... what people ultimately hear might be different.  So if someone has a sensitivity to treble, what sounds perfectly fine to you may in fact be painful to them (or at least different).

Secondly, yes people like coloration.  This is especially true of people that listen to a select range of genres.  Frankly, some might not be interested in something that really brings out the higher registers of a harp if it means that they gotta sacrifice the sub-bass that they need to massage their brains.

And finally, the search for audio transparency, neutrality, and ultimately purity is not an easy or cheap quest.  Many of us here will spend a lifetime in pursuit of our unicorn rig, and ultimately die without ever having heard it.  We accept this, albeit reluctantly.  But whether we reach audio nirvana or not, we all understand that there will be a hefty monetary cost.  If you've found a better solution... post it.  I can assure you that it will be the most popular Head-Fi thread of all-time if you're right.

May 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #5,035 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys!  

I am thinking of getting myself a graduation gift (lol) and I'm looking at the Shure SE215CL's or the Creative Aurvana 3's.  I'm looking for the more balanced and detailed of the two and one thing I MUST have is NO SIBILANCE.  I really don't mind if the treble is rolled off a bit or if its just really clear, i just need non straining treble at all costs.  I actually am a treble head myself, but any sibilance, as I have said, is a deal breaker for me... 

If anyone who has heard both or even just one tell me what the best pick would be, that would be great!

A graduating audiophile,

S3V3RI7Y

Sadly, SE215 does have a little bit of sibilance. I really don't know a treble head iem with 0 sibilance. I think Etymotic HF5 would fit you bettter. Only little sibilant, but with great extended treble and supreme clarity for ~$120.

May 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #5,036 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3V3RI7Y /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly, SE215 does have a little bit of sibilance. I really don't know a treble head iem with 0 sibilance. I think Etymotic HF5 would fit you bettter. Only little sibilant, but with great extended treble and supreme clarity for ~$120.

Oh, just wanted to chime in here for a sec.  The UE600 I just got is remarkably sibilant proof to me, which is surprising since the highs aren't tragically rolled off and still have a reasonable amount of detail. 
smile.gif

May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,037 of 5,364
Quote:

Oh, just wanted to chime in here for a sec.  The UE600 I just got is remarkably sibilant proof to me, which is surprising since the highs aren't tragically rolled off and still have a reasonable amount of detail. 
smile.gif

Really? I found the highs to be bit harsh. But my claim isn't fair because I only demoed for 15mins and compared it against my UERM. But it did have fine detail and rather good clarity.

May 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #5,038 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

Really? I found the highs to be bit harsh. But my claim isn't fair because I only demoed for 15mins and compared it against my UERM. But it did have fine detail and rather good clarity.

eek.gif
  Wow... hmm... perhaps I've gotten too acclimated to my UE700 then.  BTW, if you've heard the UE700, then you'll know that what I just said was pretty freakin' funny. 
biggrin.gif

EDIT:  Also, I wouldn't say the highs are smooth or particularly refined, and they can get a little grainy at times tapering off into a soft splashiness.  But they don't ever cross that sibilant threshold for me.  They might flirt with it, but they know I'd kick its ass.  OTOH, my UE700 are braver than the average IEM, and apparently not afraid of death.

May 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #5,039 of 5,364
I don't know...  I'm really leaning toward the Aurvana's just because there are two BA drivers in there...  as far as the shures are concerned, they are a no go now i guess...
To give a bit of back story on the treble thing, i had a REALLY bad experience with a pair of sony XBA-1's that were just painful to listen to...  As far as the etymotic HF5's are concerned, they seem to be only on BA driver...  Anyone here ever listened to the Aurvana 3's???

May 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,040 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm really leaning toward the Aurvana's just because there are two BA drivers in there

Wait, just so you know, the UE700 is a dual BA... and it will icepick its way right into your brain at a moment's notice.  Double the pain.  Just sayin'... dual BA isn't always good. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back