Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4,891 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
It's not quite there... but have you had a chance to audition the RE-400 yet?  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

ordered them the other day, should arrive next week. what about ba200?

Oh cool, looking forward to your thoughts on them.  I jotted down some notes in the RE-400, but I'll be honest in that it's been months since I've heard it.  Would be nice to hear a fresh perspective on it.

As for the BA200, haven't heard it. 
frown.gif
  Though, having grown up in the 80s, I do have a fondness for TDK.  If I get a chance to audition them, I'll PM you some impressions.

May 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,892 of 5,364
Hello there, thanks for the reply!

I actually missed out on a V-moda M80 auction on ebay yesterday for $52 used.........

I was so so so mad because I was bidding it at $51 and my laptop LAGGED at the last sec!!!!! My god.

May 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4,893 of 5,364
Quote:

I used to own some Xtreme Xplosivs before venturing into the hifi world. If you liked those, then from what I've researched you should love the M80/V80. I have not heard it yet but am contemplating on giving it a try, myself. I keep hearing great things about it, especially for the price. I've been told it may not be my cup of tea but from what you are saying it may be perfect for you. Wait and see what warren has to say.

If he agrees, then I might be actually be getting good at this...
biggrin.gif

Hello there, thanks for the reply!

I actually missed out on a V-moda M80 auction on ebay yesterday for $52 used.........

I was so so so mad because I was bidding it at $51 and my laptop LAGGED at the last sec!!!!! My god.

P.S: Sorry for the double post, I didnt figure out how to quote someone at first.

May 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,894 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I have not auditioned any of the units you mentioned.  If you feel so inclined, would you be up for describing the signature that you are looking for?  Feel free to cite any models we have had in common (check my profile).  I understand if you don't want to do that as it may add another model to the list under consideration. 
biggrin.gif
  In which case, we just gotta wait for someone else to jump in here.

Thanks for the reply, Warrenpchi. You have an impressive collection! I'm afraid that the Westone UM1 I mentioned losing in my post was my one and only. I fear that everyone's jaws are now wide open. 1. Yes, only 1 IEM. :)

In terms of signature, I am looking for good instrument separation and equal balance/representation - not overly analytical but not overly accentuated in any one frequency range over another. One step from analytical towards lively and warm, not a leap.

All of that, of course, coupled with good isolation and build quality for an active lifestyle in a noisy city (London).

Any ideas in my price range besides the two I mentioned?

First, before I forget, welcome to Head-Fi. 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif
  Thanks for the kind words.  Although my collection simply pales in comparison to many a fellow Head-Fier, I'll take the compliment anyway! 
wink.gif
  Okay, I've looked over ljokerl and ClieOS's threads to see if I can dig anything up - and well, here's the thing...

If I go by Clie's description of the BA200, I would say that you should get the UE600 instead to save a bit of money.  That's a pretty easy call.  But if I go by your comments about being "one step from analytical towards lively and warm, not a leap," then I would say the Grado GR8 is good for you. 

Now, while the UE600 easily fits into your target budget, the GR8 lies quite a bit outside it.  However, others here have pointed out that the Ortofon EQ-5 shares the same moving armature driver as the GR8, and unlike the GR8 it does fall within your target, so I would take a look at that. 

Just to be clear, I have NOT heard the EQ-5, but I also have no reason at all to doubt those that have recommended it.

I hope that helps! 
smile.gif

May 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4,895 of 5,364
Quote:
Any suggestions for iems that can be used while running, have a wide soundstage/bass and aren't muffled? Preferably durable since I don't take great care of my earphones. My price range is up to $30 but would like to spend no more than $20. Anyone recommend the Sony MDREX58Vs, Klipsch Image S4i, or Klipsch Image S4i- IIs? Or would the Sony MDRZX100 headphones work better for what I'm looking for? I was considering the Monoprice IEMs but I don't like how they look and since I'll be using these outside, I'd like them to look somewhat decent. Thank you!

Wow, that is one difficult set of requirements there.  I can tell you one thing, in terms of sound quality, I was less than impressed with the Monoprice 8320 so I would rule that out right away.  As far as having a bass emphasis and a wide soundstage that is also durable and looks good for $20... tell you what, if you ever find something like that, please lemme know! 
biggrin.gif
  Sorry I couldn't be of more help there mate. 
frown.gif

May 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,896 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.
I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

Some examples are:

CMA - Without You
Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)
Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)
Kill Paris- I Do Love You
Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)
Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]
Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

1. Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP
  2. Shure SRH840
  3. BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones
  4. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black
  5. KRK KNS8400 Studio Headphones
  6. Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohms!!!
  7. V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone
  8. Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones
  9. Ultrasone HFI-680
  10. Ultrasone HFI-780
[size=small]  
For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

[/size]

Ahh, you listen to Chillout/Downtempo stuff... okay, the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 is gonna be perfect for your needs. 
smile.gif

May 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,897 of 5,364
Quote:
I used to own some Xtreme Xplosivs before venturing into the hifi world. If you liked those, then from what I've researched you should like the M80. I have not heard it but am contemplating on giving it a try, myself. I keep hearing great things about it, especially for the price. I've been told it may not be my cup of tea but from what you are saying it may be perfect for you. Wait and see what warren has to say.

If he says the M80, then I might be actually be getting good at this...
biggrin.gif

LOL, I wouldn't say there's such a thing as good or bad at this.  As long as people find what they want, we all win!  Plus, more options are better than less. 
smile.gif

In this case, the reason why I chose the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 over all the others is because he's going to be wearing these for long durations.  The M-80 is a solid option for him were he on the go, and the Amperior would be even better than that... but in terms of comfort, isolation, and his preference in music, I just gotta go with the DT770 Pro 80 in this case.  Although, now that I think about it, your HP100 might not be a bad bet for him depending on just how much bass he wants. 
wink.gif

BTW Shiny-Lights, you should definitely post your rec request in the full-size recommendations thread if you haven't already.  I suspect you'll get a whole bunch of responses there.

May 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #4,898 of 5,364
Hey sofastreamer!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
searching for an iem, that resamples the sound of the sennheiser hd598. just smooth and airy with a touch of warmth. any suggestions? up to 400$ price range.

It's not quite there... but have you had a chance to audition the RE-400 yet?  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

ordered them the other day, should arrive next week. what about ba200?

Oh cool, looking forward to your thoughts on them.  I jotted down some notes in the RE-400, but I'll be honest in that it's been months since I've heard it.  Would be nice to hear a fresh perspective on it.

As for the BA200, haven't heard it. 
frown.gif
  Though, having grown up in the 80s, I do have a fondness for TDK.  If I get a chance to audition them, I'll PM you some impressions.

I assume you've seen my response to MKE-LHR (quoted below)?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I have not auditioned any of the units you mentioned.  If you feel so inclined, would you be up for describing the signature that you are looking for?  Feel free to cite any models we have had in common (check my profile).  I understand if you don't want to do that as it may add another model to the list under consideration. 
biggrin.gif
  In which case, we just gotta wait for someone else to jump in here.

Thanks for the reply, Warrenpchi. You have an impressive collection! I'm afraid that the Westone UM1 I mentioned losing in my post was my one and only. I fear that everyone's jaws are now wide open. 1. Yes, only 1 IEM. :)

In terms of signature, I am looking for good instrument separation and equal balance/representation - not overly analytical but not overly accentuated in any one frequency range over another. One step from analytical towards lively and warm, not a leap.

All of that, of course, coupled with good isolation and build quality for an active lifestyle in a noisy city (London).

Any ideas in my price range besides the two I mentioned?

smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif
  Thanks for the kind words.  Although my collection simply pales in comparison to many a fellow Head-Fier, I'll take the compliment anyway! 
wink.gif
  Okay, I've looked over ljokerl and ClieOS's threads to see if I can dig anything up - and well, here's the thing...

If I go by Clie's description of the BA200, I would say that you should get the UE600 instead to save a bit of money.  That's a pretty easy call.  But if I go by your comments about being "one step from analytical towards lively and warm, not a leap," then I would say the Grado GR8 is good for you. 

Now, while the UE600 easily fits into your target budget, the GR8 lies quite a bit outside it.  However, others here have pointed out that the Ortofon EQ-5 shares the same moving armature driver as the GR8, and unlike the GR8 it does fall within your target, so I would take a look at that. 

Just to be clear, I have NOT heard the EQ-5, but I also have no reason at all to doubt those that have recommended it.

I hope that helps! 
smile.gif

I just realized that some of that might apply to you as well, particularly the bit about the UE600. 
smile.gif

May 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #4,899 of 5,364
Quote:

Wow, that is one difficult set of requirements there.  I can tell you one thing, in terms of sound quality, I was less than impressed with the Monoprice 8320 so I would rule that out right away.  As far as having a bass emphasis and a wide soundstage that is also durable and looks good for $20... tell you what, if you ever find something like that, please lemme know! 
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

What about a pair that either just has a wide sound stage or good bass? And they don't have to look good as long as they don't like obnoxious or stupid (things like cylinder shaped black ones are fine even though they're not exactly pretty). Thank you for any help you are able to provide and if I do find something I'll let you know haha!

May 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #4,900 of 5,364
First, before I forget, welcome to Head-Fi.  :smile:   Sorry about your wallet.  :xf_eek:   Thanks for the kind words.  Although my collection simply pales in comparison to many a fellow Head-Fier, I'll take the compliment anyway!  :wink:   Okay, I've looked over ljokerl and ClieOS's threads to see if I can dig anything up - and well, here's the thing...

I hope that helps!  :smile:

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice, Warrenpchi - very helpful.

I've taken a look at the models you've suggested and am curious to try the fit. I was looking for more of a recessed driver body that fills in the outer ear with a cable worn over the ear for a secure fit (a la Westone and Shure) but you've got me thinking...

Time to get to a shop!

May 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,901 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

What about a pair that either just has a wide sound stage or good bass? And they don't have to look good as long as they don't like obnoxious or stupid (things like cylinder shaped black ones are fine even though they're not exactly pretty). Thank you for any help you are able to provide and if I do find something I'll let you know haha!

biggrin.gif
  Honestly, it's still kinda tough, the soundstage part I mean.  Plus, even though you say "or" I'm thinking that you'd still like to have something that is somewhat good with both soundstage and bass, amirite?  While it's outside your initial budget, the RHA MA350 does have some pretty awesome bang for the buck.  Soundstage-wise, it is reasonably spacious but not completely accurate with the imaging.  The bass is... well lemme put it this way... if you don't think it's got enough bass, it's time to come out of the basshead closet, know what I mean?  You should be able to find it for $40.

May 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,902 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif
wink.gif

I hope that helps! 
smile.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice, Warrenpchi - very helpful.

I've taken a look at the models you've suggested and am curious to try the fit. I was looking for more of a recessed driver body that fills in the outer ear with a cable worn over the ear for a secure fit (a la Westone and Shure) but you've got me thinking...

Time to get to a shop!

Of course!  Hope you stay around for a while.  Head-Fi is one of the best communities around for personal/portable audio. 
smile.gif

I tend to prefer IEMs that fit that way as well.  For me, it is both comfortable and secure to seat IEMs in the concha of my ears (inserted and the slightly tucked back).  But I'll be honest, I personally don't have any problems at all wearing either the UE600 or GR8 straight down.  Also, FWIW, both of those can be worn over the ear.  Here's an example of the UE600 in an over-ear configuration:

May 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4,903 of 5,364
Quote:
Are the JVC HAS400 with WS55 pads different enough to the JVC HAS500 with HM5 pads to warrant a purchase? Dont want them to sound the same.

You should try asking this on the S500 thread.

May 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4,904 of 5,364
I know the VSonic VSD1 is new, but I'm wondering if anyone would like to provide advice:

VSonic VSD1 for $36.71 CAD shipped from lendmeurears, or the Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition for $51.44 CAD shipped from ebay. Both brand new.

I listen mostly to Electro, Dubstep, DnB, Trap, Indie Rock. I own the Vsonic GR02 BE and enjoy them.

Thank you in advance.

May 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4,905 of 5,364
Hi, I'm looking to get something for my mom as a birthday gift.  I figured IEMs would be the best option since she likes to garden while listening to music and a pair of full-size headphones wouldn't be practical.  She listens primarily to country and pop rock, and from letting her try some of my headphones she seems to enjoy bass (at least in the pop rock songs).  I think some focus on clear female vocals would be good too, based on her having described voices on her current earbuds as "tinny" after listening to my headphones.
tongue.gif

Looking to spend up to $100 or so. Thanks for any suggestions, as I'm completely unfamiliar with the the portable realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back