Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,831 of 5,364
Quote:

I haven't heard/used those two, but in general I'm not terribly impressed with Fiio.  Personally, I would look into something like the iBasso D-Zero.  But that's just me. 
smile.gif

I will look more in to that one. I picked those to look at pretty much because they are already confirmed to be working well with the Nexus 7. 
Quote:

If I may, it depends on your price range and where you would be using it. I'd say the E17 if it's for portable use. I just loved that little gadget when I had it. It's also nice as an all around DAC (work/home).

For desktop, however, I have the Music Streamer II and highly recommend it.

It's for portable use mostly.

May 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #4,832 of 5,364
Quote:
I will look more in to that one. I picked those to look at pretty much because they are already confirmed to be working well with the Nexus 7. 

Then I would go with the suggestion that warren gave you.

May 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #4,833 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I found a set on amazon for under $130

That's pretty much the cheapest it's ever been, I say go for it. 
smile.gif

Sweetness. Just ordered them last night. You recommend any amps for it? and any preferences or opinions for home systems.

It really depends on what signature you prefer.  Almost any amp will bring out a nice punch and texture in the bass that you might not otherwise have noticed (which is a good thing).  But I personally believe that both the K240 and K271/K272 could use a little more brightness, so I paired it with an O2 (which is known to be clean and bright).  It added a little sumthin' sumthin'.

May 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4,834 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
You're totally welcome, and I'm totally jealous. 
biggrin.gif
  I totally wish you had an HD 25-1-II around so that you could A/B the two.  To me, it's as if the HD 25-1-II has some kind of sound diffuser in it, and the Amperior doesn't.  I think the main surprise for you will be how it seems to handle a wide variety of genres - not perfectly - but pretty darn well.

You don't have to be jealous. I think I found the difference between the two. Here is Innerfidelity's take on it (if you haven't seen it already).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl7vZs3DLs

You may be able to just purchase the part and mod it, yourself?

Yup, definitely saw that.  Before I saw it, I remember going around and telling people that I heard a significant difference in coherency and overall detail/separation.  A lot of people said it was very minor, so I thought I might have been losing my mind for a second.  Then Tyll reported the same and my sanity recovered.

I suppose I could mod it... but the HD 25-1-II here belongs to a friend of mine, and I'm not sure he'd be thrilled with that. 
smile.gif

May 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,835 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Brian T. Goto (ahh, now the pun above makes sense) is BTG Audio.  He can also be found here on Head-Fi as pingupenguins.

Damn, those cables look sweet! Poor wallet of mine...
frown.gif
. I think I'll just hold off the recabling until it heals...
tongue.gif

I love the way he puts a bunch of thought into his work.  It's like he doesn't just do what you request, but he tries to understand what you're going for.  And whenever a small decision needs to be made, he makes the right one with that in mind.

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not at all!  In fact, if there is one weakness of the Amperior (and this goes for many closed supraaurals), it's that the soundstage has to suffer a bit.  That's the trade-off in portability.  The farther we get from full-sized open-backs, the closer out music gets.

And yeah, the soundstage is the only problem... but still, I am liking them very much for what they are. I think I'm set as far as headphones and amps/dacs go... I'm extremely happy with all my options (both home and portable). I know you haven't heard the GR07 but what do you think about the rest of my cans? Would you say theycompliment each other well with some minor trade offs here and there?

Yeah pretty much.  The only signature you're really missing is a warm and dark one.  Personally, I think that's totally fine since, like me, that signature doesn't seem to be your thing.  I've got an HD 650 here on loan to me, and I remember it being so warm and dark and a little wet, that I likened it to listening to music from inside a vajayjay.  Not saying it's bad, just not my preferred sig is all.

So the good news is that you're pretty much set for a while.  The bad news is that your next upgrade is either the HD 800 or the TH900... neither of which are cheap.

May 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4,836 of 5,364
I NEED SOME HELP!!!!...I need some iems under $150.

I listen to mainly hip hop and rap, so bass is important. I would prefer they have good isolation since they will be used for travel.

I was looking into both the EPH-100 and TDK BA200 but have heard of a few issues, mainly with the Yamahas, of bad build quality. They really need to last, since i cant buy another if they break in a few months. I was also interested in the sony xba-3 but there isnt much on them.

I really appreciate any help and recommendations that you guys have.

May 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,837 of 5,364
Hey guys,

I need some new IEMs because the wiring on my Vsonics GR02 is going bad. I listen mainly to EDM, House, and occasionally Indie, but I prefer an emphasis on bass.

I would prefer the iems to be durable and under $50, but I'm willing to go under $100 if theres a huge performance/value increase.

I would like the IEMs to be of decent quality, because I plan on using my iems to commute and at the gym, so they often get snagged and pulled out of my ear.

May 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,838 of 5,364
Hey guys,

I need some new IEMs because the wiring on my Vsonics GR02 is going bad. I listen mainly to EDM, House, and occasionally Indie, but I prefer an emphasis on bass.

I would prefer the iems to be durable and under $50, but I'm willing to go under $100 if theres a huge performance/value increase.

I would like the IEMs to be of decent quality, because I plan on using my iems to commute and at the gym, so they often get snagged and pulled out of my ear.

I would suggest the shure se215, velodyne vpulse, or the monster turbines for durability. Honestly though why not just buy another pair of gr02 be and save your money? :wink: they're stress relief on the housings is pretty superb.

May 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,839 of 5,364
I listen to mostly pop/rock from my laptop and phone, unamped.  Should I get the CKN70, FXD80, or A161P?

May 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,840 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys,

Hi, as far as the gym is concerned OTE wear style might be a good choice. I'd recommend Fischer Audio Eterna or Shure SE215.

May 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,842 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Then I would go with the suggestion that warren gave you.

Also, if you ever decide to get a dedicated desktop DAC, I would wholeheartedly vouch for HRT stuff.  My HeadStreamer can only pull 24/96 but I believe that Change is Good's Music Streamer II can do 24/192?  Would have gotten that, but I got a ridiculously good deal on my HeadStreamer ($65) and just couldn't pass that up.

May 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,843 of 5,364
Quote:
I listen to mostly pop/rock from my laptop and phone, unamped.  Should I get the CKN70, FXD80, or A161P?

I haven't heard any of those yet, but I've got a very trusted recommendation from a mate of mine on the FXD80.  It's in my Amazon cart at the moment and will be in the next round of purchases. 

May 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,845 of 5,364
Quote:
I've heard lots about the shure se215 but its been they are no longer as good as they were. What other headphones have what I'm looking for and durable. Thanks

The Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi should be fairly good for what you listen to, and they've got ROCK SOLID durability.  I'd be sure to look into that, and I believe there are a few reviews for it here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back