Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,816 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I think so.  It'll be a little bass shy, but fairly neutral through the mids.  How much is it if I may ask?

I found a set on amazon for under $130

That's pretty much the cheapest it's ever been, I say go for it. 
smile.gif

May 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #4,817 of 5,364
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi! 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif

I've heard three out of those four (Sennheiser Amperior, V-Moda M-80, Sennheiser HD25-1 II), and have two of them here.  I would definitely say get the Amperior as I liked that one the best by far.  As for the DAC situation, I would start by listening to higher bitrate files for now (or lossless if possible), and then add a DAC/amp later when you have the funds.  Remember, better headphones will make a more profound difference than better DACs.

They were already in my cart ready for purchase. 
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #4,818 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I've heard three out of those four (Sennheiser Amperior, V-Moda M-80, Sennheiser HD25-1 II), and have two of them here.  I would definitely say get the Amperior as I liked that one the best by far.

They were already in my cart ready for purchase. 
biggrin.gif

Ahh, so we're on the same page then. 
wink.gif
  BTW, which DAC were you thinking of?

May 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #4,820 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Ahh, so we're on the same page then. 
wink.gif
  BTW, which DAC were you thinking of?

Fiio E07k or E17 haven't decided yet. Any recommendations on those as well?

I haven't heard/used those two, but in general I'm not terribly impressed with Fiio.  Personally, I would look into something like the iBasso D-Zero.  But that's just me. 
smile.gif

May 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4,821 of 5,364
Quote:
Fiio E07k or E17 haven't decided yet. Any recommendations on those as well?

If I may, it depends on your price range and where you would be using it. I'd say the E17 if it's for portable use. I just loved that little gadget when I had it. It's also nice as an all around DAC (work/home).

For desktop, however, I have the Music Streamer II and highly recommend it.

May 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4,822 of 5,364
Quote:

For desktop, however, I have the Music Streamer II and highly recommend it.

Nice, HRT user here as well... though just a HeadStreamer.

May 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #4,823 of 5,364
I have a Fiio E10 DAC/Amp - it's OK - but nothing to write home about. I think the DAC portion is better than the amp portion. The amp doesn't seem to have enough power to drive my higher impedance 'phones. One of these days I need to get a proper desktop amp. :xf_eek:

May 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #4,824 of 5,364
Ok, so I just received my Amperiors. I haven't had a chance to really test them but I am impressed after listening to a couple songs. Thank you for the recommendation, warren.

Question: Is there an alternate cable I can purchase for these? The length of the stock cables is fine but they are too flimsy.

Also, is there a portable  case available that these can fit in?

May 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #4,825 of 5,364
Quote:
Ok, so I just received my Amperiors.

Wow, that was fast! 
eek.gif

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to really test them but I am impressed after listening to a couple songs. Thank you for the recommendation, warren.

You're totally welcome, and I'm totally jealous. 
biggrin.gif
  I totally wish you had an HD 25-1-II around so that you could A/B the two.  To me, it's as if the HD 25-1-II has some kind of sound diffuser in it, and the Amperior doesn't.  I think the main surprise for you will be how it seems to handle a wide variety of genres - not perfectly - but pretty darn well.

Quote:
Question: Is there an alternate cable I can purchase for these? The length of the stock cables is fine but they are too flimsy.

Dunno, but like you I've also freaked out about that... especially around the terminators.  I would ask Brian over at BTG Audio.  In fact, for any non-summit-fi cabling questions, Brian is my goto (
biggrin.gif
) guy.

Quote:
Also, is there a portable case available that these can fit in?

Hmm, no idea.  I would think that something generic like this might do:  http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Protection-Carrying-Technica-Headphone/dp/B009YONZEG/

May 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #4,826 of 5,364
Quote:

Dunno, but like you I've also freaked out about that... especially around the terminators.  I would ask Brian over at BTG Audio.  In fact, for any non-summit-fi cabling questions, Brian is my goto (
biggrin.gif
) guy.

Link please!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
biggrin.gif
  I totally wish you had an HD 25-1-II around so that you could A/B the two.  To me, it's as if the HD 25-1-II has some kind of sound diffuser in it, and the Amperior doesn't.  I think the main surprise for you will be how it seems to handle a wide variety of genres - not perfectly - but pretty darn well.

Yes, it really does handle a wide variety. I think I am liking my HP100 more, though. Is that odd?

May 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #4,827 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif
) guy.

Link please!
biggrin.gif

Brian T. Goto (ahh, now the pun above makes sense) is BTG Audio.  He can also be found here on Head-Fi as pingupenguins.

Quote:

Quote:

I think the main surprise for you will be how it seems to handle a wide variety of genres - not perfectly - but pretty darn well.

Yes, it really does handle a wide variety. I think I am liking my HP100 more, though. Is that odd?

Nope, not at all!  In fact, if there is one weakness of the Amperior (and this goes for many closed supraaurals), it's that the soundstage has to suffer a bit.  That's the trade-off in portability.  The farther we get from full-sized open-backs, the closer out music gets.

May 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,829 of 5,364
Quote:
biggrin.gif

You don't have to be jealous. I think I found the difference between the two. Here is Innerfidelity's take on it (if you haven't seen it already).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl7vZs3DLs

You may be able to just purchase the part and mod it, yourself?

May 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #4,830 of 5,364
Quote:

Brian T. Goto (ahh, now the pun above makes sense) is BTG Audio.  He can also be found here on Head-Fi as pingupenguins.

Nope, not at all!  In fact, if there is one weakness of the Amperior (and this goes for many closed supraaurals), it's that the soundstage has to suffer a bit.  That's the trade-off in portability.  The farther we get from full-sized open-backs, the closer out music gets.

Damn, those cables look sweet! Poor wallet of mine...
frown.gif
. I think I'll just hold off the recabling until it heals...
tongue.gif

And yeah, the soundstage is the only problem... but still, I am liking them very much for what they are. I think I'm set as far as headphones and amps/dacs go... I'm extremely happy with all my options (both home and portable). I know you haven't heard the GR07 but what do you think about the rest of my cans? Would you say theycompliment each other well with some minor trade offs here and there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back