Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4,757 of 5,364
Quote:

In my experience, these tend to be the same people that think the Q701 is all laser beams and razor blades. 

For me, the Q701 has far more likelihood of sibilance (not to mention general treble fatigue) because it's peak starts in the upper mids and just kind of plateaus there for a while.  That's why it's got a bit of that shrill/shreaking thing going on sometimes (you know what I mean). 

The Amperior doesn't do that.  It's peak starts way up in the highs, and is a true peak as it seems to roll off just as suddenly as it started.  I also took the liberty of running some sibilance test tracks through it, and it didn't throw out any red flags.

If anything, I think your greatest complaint about the Amperior will be the diminished soundstage.  But hey, they're closed cans, so nothing we can do about that.

Ok, thank you for the details. I will be ordering one, soon as I find a good deal!

May 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,758 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for some solid quality over the ear/on ear headphones for (hopefully) the $50 mark; but preferably not more than $70. I listen to mostly 90's Alt, Jazz (including NOLA brass bands), blues and some hip hop. Also something with perhaps a thicker cord to prevent it from getting all tangled up. Was looking at the The House of Marley EM-JH010-SU but have heard mixed reviews about their products. Thanks in advance for the help.

[Mod Edit: Link removed.]

Does anyone have any opinions on the Sennheiser HD201? Or are they not suitable for what I am looking for?

May 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,759 of 5,364
First of all, I must say that when I joined first here, Iv got recommanded the Audio Technica A900X with a good sound card and for be honest, Im 100% satisfied with my gaming rig now. Thank Head-Fi. But I'm still here my need changed a bit and Im currently looking for a pair of IEM that could fit under my hearing protector at my new work. (I can't stand earbud they are usualy painfull to me)

1. Location
I'm looking for a Pair of IEM for use at work. They must offer decent isolation and must be used under those:

Link: http://solutions.3mcanada.ca/wps/portal/3M/en_CA/PPE_SafetySolutions_NA/Safety/Products/PoW-Product-Catalog/?PC_7_U00M8B1A0O0N00I56S0AQQIPV1000000_nid=6DQJH9P642gsQQFFG1G8R7glCB3RH88NCJbl

2. Budget
I don't plan to spend over 100-120$ (for IEM + AMP if needed) if lower its perfect. Since I must use them at work, there good risk they get lost or even break so I want something pleasant to hear but also easily remplacable.

3. Music
Mostly classic and late 60-70 Rock
But I must say that I'm not a basshead I don't want something to bass heavy as I must wear those for 8 hours per day.

4. My source:
Actually using my LG Optimus L5 as source, but I'm looking for a good music player (that support flac if possible) and with a good reception FM radio for when music become boring. if you have a suggestion for that, feel free to leave it :)

Link: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l5_e610-4571.php

Hope I'v provided engough information, If you have any question feel free to ask

May 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,760 of 5,364
I found a great deal on some refurbished Amperiors on Amazon. I couldn't pass up this deal so I pulled the trigger. I hope nothing drastic is missing or wrong with them... but I'm glad it's fulfilled by Amazon. I can't wait!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you, warrenpchi!!!

May 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,761 of 5,364
I'm looking for SUB 20 US$ earbuds/headphones/IEM

I have my eye on the jvc fx 101, but perhaps if i want to listen to classical or a more clean music genre they will not be enough.

What do you guys say?

At sub $20, I think you're going to be looking at lots of compromises no matter what you get. A lot of the low-cost 'phones are going to be boomy in the bass, or have rolled-off treble - or both. The good news is that you could try something and if you don't like it, you aren't out very much money - so you can try something else. I think the classic recommendation would be the Koss KSC75 - but - I have NOT heard those (I can't stand clip-on 'phones). I'm sure many people here have them, so hopefully someone will chime in. I had Koss "The Plug" and "The Sparkplug" IEMs. They weren't great - muddy and lacking in clarity. The Sparkplug also had a thin, horribly microphonic cable. I also have the Mee M6. They aren't too bad - the treble is rolled-off and again the bass is not real tight - but they are comfortable if you don't mind over-the-ear style IEMs. I used to have some JVC Marshmallow buds - I can't remember the model number. They were very dark - the treble simply wasn't there! I didn't use those for very long - that was pretty much the point at which I decided that I needed to spend more money to get a sound quality I could enjoy. Now, going back to the sub-$20 buds from much more expensive IEMs is quite painful! That's why this hobby is so evil!!

May 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #4,762 of 5,364
First of all, I must say that when I joined first here, Iv got recommanded the Audio Technica A900X with a good sound card and for be honest, Im 100% satisfied with my gaming rig now. Thank Head-Fi. But I'm still here my need changed a bit and Im currently looking for a pair of IEM that could fit under my hearing protector at my new work. (I can't stand earbud they are usualy painfull to me)

[COLOR=008000]1. Location[/COLOR]
I'm looking for a Pair of IEM for use at work. They must offer decent isolation and must be used under those:

Link: http://solutions.3mcanada.ca/wps/portal/3M/en_CA/PPE_SafetySolutions_NA/Safety/Products/PoW-Product-Catalog/?PC_7_U00M8B1A0O0N00I56S0AQQIPV1000000_nid=6DQJH9P642gsQQFFG1G8R7glCB3RH88NCJbl

[COLOR=008000]2. Budget[/COLOR]
I don't plan to spend over 100-120$ (for IEM + AMP if needed) if lower its perfect. Since I must use them at work, there good risk they get lost or even break so I want something pleasant to hear but also easily remplacable.

[COLOR=008000]3. Music[/COLOR]
Mostly classic and late 60-70 Rock
But I must say that I'm not a basshead I don't want something to bass heavy as I must wear those for 8 hours per day.

[COLOR=008000]4. My source:[/COLOR]
Actually using my LG Optimus L5 as source, but I'm looking for a good music player (that support flac if possible) and with a good reception FM radio for when music become boring. if you have a suggestion for that, feel free to leave it :)

Link: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l5_e610-4571.php

Hope I'v provided engough information, If you have any question feel free to ask

My recommendation would be a good over-the-ear IEM, like the Shure SE215, Westone 1 (or UM1) or something similar. It sounds like you will be wearing these all day at work, and for that I would want comfort and isolation - and both the Shure & Westone excel at that - and they sound pretty good as well! They have small bodies that sit close to the ear, and the over-the-ear wire should have minimal interference with your ear protection cups. For that application, I would not want any IEMs that stick out very far from your ears. If you want to experiment with this concept for a low-cost, try the Mee M6. Similar form factor as the Shure, but just much more cheaply made and they don't sound as good - but they are also under $20.

May 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4,763 of 5,364
Quote:
My recommendation would be a good over-the-ear IEM, like the Shure SE215, Westone 1 (or UM1) or something similar. It sounds like you will be wearing these all day at work, and for that I would want comfort and isolation - and both the Shure & Westone excel at that - and they sound pretty good as well! They have small bodies that sit close to the ear, and the over-the-ear wire should have minimal interference with your ear protection cups. For that application, I would not want any IEMs that stick out very far from your ears. If you want to experiment with this concept for a low-cost, try the Mee M6. Similar form factor as the Shure, but just much more cheaply made and they don't sound as good - but they are also under $20.

Thank you very much sir, I just ordered a pair of Mee M6 for 15.99$ ^.^
They still decent from the review iv seen and since even my hearing protector don't block ALL sound,  Sound Quality is not as a big deal.

May 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,765 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a pair of either noise isolating or active noise cancelling headphones (to be used everywhere). They need to be able to block out a lot of crowd noise as I compete in game tournaments a lot and I travel on train a fair amount too. I've had my AKG K450 for about 2 years now and they've been fantastic, and have made me a fan of over ear designs with the portability. However they don't isolate sound nor cancel it.

I'm not interested in IEMs at all, I've outgrown them and find them uncomfortable to wear now so it's all about over ear and on ear designs.
At the moment I'm torn between the V Moda Crossfade M80s for noise isolation and for ANC it's between: AKG K490 vs K495.
I had the Klipsch M40s but the active noise cancelling was none existent, it just made songs louder though the noise isolation on them was very good, but for what they ultimately did they were too big and uncomfortable.

My main priorities are ability to block out crowd noises and comfort. Style is an added bonus but all of those look really good IMO anyway.

Which is better for my purposes? On the one hand, I've tried AKG over ears in the K450 and find them really good, on the other hand the M80 MAY have better sound quality and better blocking abilities but I'm not sure. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Another competitor are the B&W P5 but I've no idea how these headphones compare to one another.

Sorry, but I really don't know much about ANC headphones.  I've never really trusted them because they never seem to block out the crazy voices that I want blocked out.  Also, I think they use witchcraft.  Best of luck to you though!

May 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4,766 of 5,364
Quote:
Music genres: I mainly listen to shoegaze rock and metal, but I also listen to other genres too.
Portable: Semi
Price range: 200-300
Amped: Only if necessary. I have a go dap gd-03 and fiio E11
Closed/Open: Closed. I want good isolation.
Headphone preference

I was considering the AKG 550, Sennheiser Momentum, or V-Moda M100. I want a phone I can use out of my iPod, however I mainly use the around the house. So I want semi-portability, sound quality, isolation, and comfort. Are any of these the best options?

From the three that you mentioned, I would definitely go with the Momentum.  The sound really isn't bad at all.  For sure the signature is going to be more forgiving of the stuff you listen to than either of the others.  Also, the comfort is great.

May 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4,767 of 5,364
Quote:
You've crippled me mate.  
frown.gif

All right.. how about sub 40? there needs to be a massive difference in quality tho :p

Personally, I was unimpressed by the Monoprice 8320.  I haven't heard the Philips models yet, but they are reputed to be pretty good, so you might want to try those.  As for my recommendation, the only pair that I feel comfortable recommending atm for handling all of those genres quite well is the UE600.  Unfortunately, it is WAYYY beyond your budget at $50 (even if that $50 is a fantastic deal because the full price is $100).  So... sorry I wasn't of very much use here. 
frown.gif

May 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4,768 of 5,364
Quote:
I listen to mostly 90's Alt

Congratulations, you are awesome. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I am looking for some solid quality over the ear/on ear headphones for (hopefully) the $50 mark; but preferably not more than $70. I listen to mostly 90's Alt, Jazz (including NOLA brass bands), blues and some hip hop. Also something with perhaps a thicker cord to prevent it from getting all tangled up. Was looking at the The House of Marley EM-JH010-SU but have heard mixed reviews about their products. Thanks in advance for the help.

Just out of curiosity, do these have to be portable (i.e closed)?  Or would these be for home use?

May 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4,769 of 5,364
Quote:
I found a great deal on some refurbished Amperiors on Amazon. I couldn't pass up this deal so I pulled the trigger. I hope nothing drastic is missing or wrong with them... but I'm glad it's fulfilled by Amazon. I can't wait!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you, warrenpchi!!!

Anytime! 
smile.gif
  Also, blue or silver?

May 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,770 of 5,364
Quote:
Crap, right after i start an advice thread i see this.. tell me everything you know about Denon AH-C100's because i'm thinking of buying them

Dang nabbit, never heard them. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back