Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #4,726 of 5,364
Looks like i edited my previous post just while you answered... check out the link i added 
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for you help. I will wait a couple of days to see if i get more insight from other members about other sets.
I appreciate that you give feedback based on what you have heard... as in in your ears, and not around (i hope this sounds right in english 
biggrin.gif
 pun intended)

Quote:

There was a time when I was worried about that as well,  particularly when I saw models like the UE 100 and UE 200 coming on the market.  However, I've since come to understand that they're really just trying to build a bridge from novice consumers to audiophiles and enthusiasts.  I find both the UE 600 and UE 700 to be very good mid-fi IEM candidates.  I'm looking forwards to the UE 900, although I don't know how I feel about the customs.  Once the price gets that high, I think I'd start looking at a few others instead.

Well, of those mentioned, the only one I've heard is the UE 700.  While I like it, would most definitely NOT suggest it for your needs.  It's not warm at all, and it tends to be quite bright up top at times.  Think of it as somewhat analogous to a Beyer DT880 or an AKG Q701.

May 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,727 of 5,364
Bump. Anyone?
Quote:
Hey all. I've been thinking of upgrading from my Shure SE215 to something more neutral. SE215s are just too boomy. My spending limit is $300. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod without an headphone amp (at least not at the moment). I listen to all kinds of music ranging from classical to death metal. My main headphone is a Beyerdynamic DT880 and I want an IEM that sounds similar.

From what I've been looking at, the Shure SE425 seem to fit the bill, especially when looking at the frequency response charts from HeadRoom.

Of course numbers don't tell the whole story, so I'm wondering if I should go with the SE425 or consider something else, like the Etymotic ER4 (those have been touted as being very neutral). Any suggestions or thoughts?

May 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,729 of 5,364
Quote:
Looks like i edited my previous post just while you answered... check out the link i added 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
EDIT: did i say i was worried Logitech would destroy the UE brand? Looks like they just did 
redface.gif

Oh well...  Kidding.  As long as we don't take that stuff seriously (which we won't) it's fine that they can do that to pay the bills.  In the meantime, we'll only buy the good stuff. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Thanks a lot for you help. I will wait a couple of days to see if i get more insight from other members about other sets.
I appreciate that you give feedback based on what you have heard... as in in your ears, and not around (i hope this sounds right in english 
biggrin.gif
 pun intended)

Welcome of course!  Yeah definitely, give it a couple of days... not everyone checks in here all the time.  Also, might want to check out some of the review threads for the SE215. 

LOL, that's actually one of the posting guidelines here.  We're not allowed to recommend gear that we haven't owned (or had experience with).  Not everyone follows it of course, but I like to.  Once in a while, I'll recommend that someone look at (do more research) on certain piece of gear that I haven't heard, but I'd never recommend that they buy outright.

Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

I had wanted to answer that - I really, really did.  But I don't think I have anything that matches that.  Even the stuff that I have that's kind of similar was beyond the price range.  Hopefully someone'll come in who knows more than I.

May 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #4,731 of 5,364
OK guys, my first impressions with the HP100 is I'm liking what I hear. It definitely makes up what the SRH840 was lacking (little more bass, bigger soundstage) without hampering the overall sound.

I'm open to any open-ear headphone suggestions now that you know I like the HP100. Also, shoot me some IEM suggestions while you're at it. I love my GR07 MK2 but I might look into the BE for that extra 'kick' I desire (similar to the slightly above neutral bass of the HP100).

May 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,732 of 5,364
Quote:
Does anyone have any opinion on denon ah-c400? I could get them for £140 ($210).

Unfortunately, have not heard them yet.  Doesn't seem like too many people have around here, I hardly ever see them mentioned.

May 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4,733 of 5,364
Quote:
OK guys, my first impressions with the HP100 is I'm liking what I hear. It definitely makes up what the SRH840 was lacking (little more bass, bigger soundstage) without hampering the overall sound.

I'm open to any open-ear headphone suggestions now that you know I like the HP100. Also, shoot me some IEM suggestions while you're at it. I love my GR07 MK2 but I might look into the BE for that extra 'kick' I desire (similar to the slightly above neutral bass of the HP100).

Okay!  Now we're cookin' (finally, something I've heard, lol)!  So I now have four questions to ask you...

Thinking about the highs of the HP100.  Would you say that you could withstand some more highs?  Or is the HP100 already at your limit?

If the answer to the first question above is that you can go for some more highs, about how much more?  20% more?  40% more?

Thinking about the level of detail in the HP100, would you say that you would like more detail?  Or would you prefer that it be smoother and more laid back?

If a recommendation were to have slight less bass in terms of quantity, but better bass in terms of detail and texture, do you think you would be happy with the bass boosted results?

EDIT:  Wait, you have a Q701?!  LOLOLOL!  Please also let me know what you're looking for in relation to that.  Haha, I should have checked your profile a long time ago. 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #4,734 of 5,364
Quote:

Okay!  Now we're cookin' (finally, something I've heard, lol)!  So I now have four questions to ask you...

Thinking about the highs of the HP100.  Would you say that you could withstand some more highs?  Or is the HP100 already at your limit?

If the answer to the first question above is that you can go for some more highs, about how much more?  20% more?  40% more?

Thinking about the level of detail in the HP100, would you say that you would like more detail?  Or would you prefer that it be smoother and more laid back?

If a recommendation were to have slight less bass in terms of quantity, but better bass in terms of detail and texture, do you think you would be happy with the bass boosted results?

Awesome...

1) I can withstand more highs. I own the Q701 and GR07.

2) I would say 20% or the Q701 highs to be my limit. I can handle bright but not sibilant.

3) I love detail as you can see from my other cans :)

4) Hmmmm... I really don'y know. I guess yes as long as it's not too recessed.

Thanks!!!!

May 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4,735 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome...

1) I can withstand more highs. I own the Q701 and GR07.

2) I would say 20% or the Q701 highs to be my limit. I can handle bright but not sibilant.

3) I love detail as you can see from my other cans :)

4) Hmmmm... I really don'y know. I guess yes as long as it's not too recessed.

Thanks!!!!

You have no idea how stupid I feel for not having checked your profile earlier.  I got all fixated on the GR07 which I haven't heard, and that totally threw me off! 
tongue.gif

Okay, for open cans > Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm (possibly with a slight bit of bass boost to suit your tastes)

For IEMs, this is tougher > Grado GR8 (or Ortofon EQ-5/EQ-7 as suggested by Exci earlier) - again with bass boost  or EQ to suit the lows.

Also, please keep in mind that I've long since forgotten what your budget was.  So if I'm going way sky high, please forgive me.

May 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #4,736 of 5,364
Quote:

You have no idea how stupid I feel for not having checked your profile earlier.  I got all fixated on the GR07 which I haven't heard, and that totally threw me off! 
tongue.gif

Okay, for open cans > Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm (possibly with a slight bit of bass boost to suit your tastes)

For IEMs, this is tougher > Grado GR8 (or Ortofon EQ-5/EQ-7 as suggested by Exci earlier) - again with bass boost  or EQ to suit the lows.

Also, please keep in mind that I've long since forgotten what your budget was.  So if I'm going way sky high, please forgive me.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the Q701 as my open can and it isn't going anywhere. I'm only inquiring about on an on-ear headphone and maybe another IEM. My budget for each is slightly over $200. The IEM is not a priority as I already own the GR07 and love it. I might actually just get the GR07 Bass Edition for the extra kick I'm looking for in an IEM.

But... as for on-ear suggestions... do you have any for me?

Thanks, again
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4,737 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

tongue.gif

Actually, I'm quite happy with the Q701 as my open can and it isn't going anywhere. I'm only inquiring about on an on-ear headphone and maybe another IEM. My budget for each is slightly over $200. The IEM is not a priority as I already own the GR07 and love it. I might actually just get the GR07 Bass Edition for the extra kick I'm looking for in an IEM.

But... as for on-ear suggestions... do you have any for me?

Thanks, again
biggrin.gif

Oops, forgot about the supraaurals...  Okay, yes, 2.5 recs in fact.

First of all, on the off chance that an open backed supraaural is okay, I think you'd love the Senn HD 238 (but not the HD 239).  I was pleasantly surprised at both the detail and staging within that little sucker.  So much so that - despite several purchase offers - I refuse to let it go.

However, I suspect that you're looking for something closed-back, in which case I've got to say the Amperior.  I know, I know, that's WAY outside of your budget.  But IMO it's totally worth it.  You can get the HD 25-1-II as a substitute if you like.  A lot of people say that they can't really tell the difference.  But if you're anything like me - and I suspect that you are - you'll be able to tell in a heartbeat.  In an A/B between the two, I found the Amperior's reduction in distortion and grain to be easily noticeable, and the resulting increase in detail was quite a treat for a pair of portable supraaurals.

If you don't mind buying used, maybe a fellow Head-Fier has one to sell here in the classifieds?

May 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4,738 of 5,364
I am looking for some solid quality over the ear/on ear headphones for (hopefully) the $50 mark; but preferably not more than $70. I listen to mostly 90's Alt, Jazz (including NOLA brass bands), blues and some hip hop. Also something with perhaps a thicker cord to prevent it from getting all tangled up. Was looking at the The House of Marley EM-JH010-SU but have heard mixed reviews about their products. Thanks in advance for the help.

[Mod Edit: Link removed.]

May 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,739 of 5,364
Hello you posted a reply on the thread I started, thank you for that, but I couldn't really tell which earphones you were describing, can you put it on a list or something, that will be appreciated. and I couldn't really understand what you said about the XBA-40 either.

May 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,740 of 5,364
Bump. Anyone?

I have the SE215, and I'm not sure I would agree that they are "boomy" - they are certainly "darker" than some of the other IEMs in that price range that I have owned. I have NOT heard the higher model Shure IEMS, so I'm afraid I can't tell you what improvements you can expect by spending more with Shure - or any IEMs in the $300 range - I just haven't owned those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back