Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,681 of 5,364
Quote:

Well, this is difficult for me as I have not heard the CKM500, so I'm not exactly sure what your threshold is.  Anybody here heard the CKM500?

Well, to my ears, the Ckm-500 is a bright IEM, i find the trebles to be too harsh, the mids are good enough for me but i find it to be a little bit lacking in the sub-bass,thus i use the digizoid zo2 to give it a slight bump in bass, however, when i do that, they sound sig. becomes too "v-shaped" which i dont enjoy. I would like something that sounds similar to the m-80 but with a little bit more detail in the treble.Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #4,682 of 5,364
UE600 IMPRESSIONS UPDATE...

Okay, so I had promised to post some impressions of the UE600 when they got here.  Has them for about an hour now, here's what I think.

The bass is neither anemic nor boomy, occupying that rare space where there's just enough - no more no less than is needed.  It's rather nicely poised most of the time, though it does tend to drift ever-so-slightly to the loose side on occasion.  Because of that, I can't say that it's punchy per se, but it's not woolly.  There's even a slight hint of sub-bass to speak of, which is a welcome surprise as my UE700 were completely mute on the subject.

Mids are decidedly forward, no doubt about it.  Not Grado forward, but definitely not shy at all.  It's okay though, as they're very, very smooth from the lower mids all the way up through the upper mids.  There's no hint of grain at all.  This is a nice change for me as my UE700 tended to have a little bit scooped out of their upper mids.

Highs are articulate and snappy without any sibilance at all.  Admittedly, it doesn't have that spacious airyness that my UE700 were great for... but then again, this is exactly what I was looking for as my UE700 could be a little - um - harsh at times.  Also, when the highs start rolling off at the top, they have just enough of a soft and splashy quality that it's not an abrupt cliff.  Very nice.

The soundstage isn't particularly wide - or deep for that matter - so I suspect that the UE600 will be better for electronic and pop music than it is for acoustic music.

Overall, I would say that the signature is warm, sweet, and smooth... like glaze on a fresh pastry... with just a smattering of crispyness at the top.  It's balanced enough that I'm not bothered by any glaring flaws.  I've got to admit, it's much better than I thought a single BA would be.  Staging and imaging is mediocre at best though.

So is it worth $50?  Without a doubt, yes.

May 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4,683 of 5,364
Can anyone compare the UE TF 10 to the UE900?

May 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #4,685 of 5,364
Quote:
Well, to my ears, the Ckm-500 is a bright IEM, i find the trebles to be too harsh, the mids are good enough for me but i find it to be a little bit lacking in the sub-bass,thus i use the digizoid zo2 to give it a slight bump in bass, however, when i do that, they sound sig. becomes too "v-shaped" which i dont enjoy. I would like something that sounds similar to the m-80 but with a little bit more detail in the treble.Thanks in advance.

Hey audiotech, check out my initial impressions of the UE600 a few posts up.  I think that - paired with your ZO2 - the UE600 might be okay for you.  I certainly don't think you'll find them too bright or harsh up top, nor would I say that they are lacking in detail in the highs.  At $50, they are such a steal.

May 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #4,686 of 5,364
Quote:
UE600 IMPRESSIONS UPDATE...

Okay, so I had promised to post some impressions of the UE600 when they got here.  Has them for about an hour now, here's what I think.

The bass is neither anemic nor boomy, occupying that rare space where there's just enough - no more no less than is needed.  It's rather nicely poised most of the time, though it does tend to drift ever-so-slightly to the loose side on occasion.  Because of that, I can't say that it's punchy per se, but it's not woolly.  There's even a slight hint of sub-bass to speak of, which is a welcome surprise as my UE700 were completely mute on the subject.

Mids are decidedly forward, no doubt about it.  Not Grado forward, but definitely not shy at all.  It's okay though, as they're very, very smooth from the lower mids all the way up through the upper mids.  There's no hint of grain at all.  This is a nice change for me as my UE700 tended to have a little bit scooped out of their upper mids.

Highs are articulate and snappy without any sibilance at all.  Admittedly, it doesn't have that spacious airyness that my UE700 were great for... but then again, this is exactly what I was looking for as my UE700 could be a little - um - harsh at times.  Also, when the highs start rolling off at the top, they have just enough of a soft and splashy quality that it's not an abrupt cliff.  Very nice.

The soundstage isn't particularly wide - or deep for that matter - so I suspect that the UE600 will be better for electronic and pop music than it is for acoustic music.

Overall, I would say that the signature is warm, sweet, and smooth... like glaze on a fresh pastry... with just a smattering of crispyness at the top.  It's balanced enough that I'm not bothered by any glaring flaws.  I've got to admit, it's much better than I thought a single BA would be.  Staging and imaging is mediocre at best though.

So is it worth $50?  Without a doubt, yes.

That impression sounds a lot like an improved A161P. Another one to put on the radar, I guess.

May 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,687 of 5,364
I am looking for the best bass IEM for under $200. I have the the GR07 MK2 and would like a bassy IEM to compliment it. I've read the JVC fxz200 has awesome bass but I believe it is over $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

May 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,688 of 5,364
I am looking for the best bass IEM for under $200. I have the the GR07 MK2 and would like a bassy IEM to compliment it. I've read the JVC fxz200 has awesome bass but I believe it is over $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the UE TF 10 a few weeks ago and they are indeed bass heavy. 230$ on amazon but I've seen em on ebay for 200$. 

May 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,689 of 5,364
Quote:
That impression sounds a lot like an improved A161P. Another one to put on the radar, I guess.

I actually bought the A161 once... it was on sale for like $70.  But then the UE700 went on sale so I cancelled the A161 and got that instead.

May 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,690 of 5,364
I've read those are great IEM's but $200 is my absolute threshold. If I can get them for less I will definitely consider buying them. Thanks for the tip. In response to PinkLed. Sorry I'm new to these forums  

May 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4,692 of 5,364
Quote:

Amazon jp sell these for 16000 yens (~$160) but they don't offer intenational shipping. If you can find a proxy service, you can get these within $200, just saying
Link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009UPT570

May 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #4,693 of 5,364
Quote:
Amazon jp sell these for 16000 yens (~$160) but they don't offer intenational shipping. If you can find a proxy service, you can get these within $200, just saying
Link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009UPT570

Any proxy service recommendations? For $160 I'm definitely buying these. However, if anyone else has recommendations for bassy IEM's under $200, I would definitely welcome it.

May 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #4,694 of 5,364
Any proxy service recommendations? For $160 I'm definitely buying these. However, if anyone else has recommendations for bassy IEM's under $200, I would definitely welcome it.

You can try tenso.com, though keep in mind that you may have to deal with customs duties when importing from Japan. Also, you may want to consider the GR07 Bass Edition if the fxz turns out to be too expensive.

May 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4,695 of 5,364
Quote:
You can try tenso.com, though keep in mind that you may have to deal with customs duties when importing from Japan. Also, you may want to consider the GR07 Bass Edition if the fxz turns out to be too expensive.

Funny, I actually have the BE's but I find them lacking a bit in impact. Maybe I am being a bit unreasonable with my demands but I want something that hits really hard. Guess you could say I've been spoiled by bass heavy monitors like the Klipsch S4 and Senn CX300. Besides, I find the MK2 (I own it) and BE too similar in sound, I would like something different. Too be fair, the BE's are nowhere near fully burned in but from what I've read the fxz200 still has more bass. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back