Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4,606 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,
 I am new to the forums here but i have been reading the forums for a while now. I would like some recommendations on a new IEM. The main genres that i listen to are pop, rock and EDM, mainly prog. and electro house. I currently own a v-moda m80 and my current IEMs are the audio-technica ath-ckm500. I will be using the IEMs when i am on the go as the climate here in my country is really hot. My current rig consists of my samsung galaxy s3> digizoid zo2 > ath-ckm500. I like my headphones to have a slight mid-bass emphasis, forward mids and a slightly relaxed treble( M80 sound sig.). Thanks in advance
wink_face.gif

There's a chance that it might not be bassy enough for you, but otherwise the RE-400 should be a close enough match, particularly in terms of the forward mids and relaxed treble.

May 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,607 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Not that I've heard either of them, but I imagine that the question will come up sooner or later, so... exactly what do you mean by better? 
smile.gif

well.. i guess..... sound quality? sound isolation?  which will be preferred for a all-rounder earpiece?

Um, TwinQY?

May 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4,608 of 5,364
Quote:
I have zero experience with earphones...
The only experience I have is with some headphones. I had the akg k 518 le(i think this is the model) and now I have the razer electra (for gaming).
I am looking for a pair of earphones that I'll be able to take out and I want the to have as good sound as possible.
My budget is about 60$ but it can easily go higher if needed.
I listen mostly to rock, and sometimes more bass heavy music.
Thanks in advance :)

If the K 518 LE is what you're use to, then the Sony XB60EX might work out well for you.  It's going to have a little more in the bass than what you're used to, but that should work out well for the bass heavy stuff.  It's on sale for $35 at Amazon right now.

May 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #4,609 of 5,364
Quote:

A few friends recommended the S500 to me several weeks ago.  I already have a K518LE and an M-80, so I didn't need it.  But if I did need something with that sound profile at that price range, I would have gotten the S500 myself. 
smile.gif

Ok.

I have found that there are also the Sony V55 (60 €, or about $ 70).
Frequency 5-25000Hz, impedance of 40ohm.
(The XB500 have the frequency 4-24000Hz, 32ohm impedance).

I worry about the impedance of 40ohm, because with the AKG K518 I tried on Creative Zen, with the volume to the max (25) corresponded to the volume at 18, that is average.

The Sony V55 I think are better than the JVC HA-S500, should have some better bass or am I wrong?

May 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,610 of 5,364
@warrenpchi

Haha. Indeed. Heaven does get a bit boring and I would like to have a taste of the Earth. I realize that the UE900 is a more faithful earphone.  But I just can't stand the thought of having a faithful earphone. I am kind of stuck between the Klipsch earphones now. Would the greater dyanmic-driver-bass of the S4i (which is also slow and not tight) be a better option or the overall punchiness and detail of the X10i's balanced armature be more suitable for EDM?

May 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #4,611 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

A few friends recommended the S500 to me several weeks ago.  I already have a K518LE and an M-80, so I didn't need it.  But if I did need something with that sound profile at that price range, I would have gotten the S500 myself. 
smile.gif

The Sony V55 I think are better than the JVC HA-S500, should have some better bass or am I wrong?

A buddy of mine is a huge Sony fanboy, about as big as they come.  I once asked him about the V55, and he told me that he considers it to be a moment of deep shame for Sony.

Quote:
@warrenpchi

Haha. Indeed. Heaven does get a bit boring and I would like to have a taste of the Earth. I realize that the UE900 is a more faithful earphone.  But I just can't stand the thought of having a faithful earphone. I am kind of stuck between the Klipsch earphones now. Would the greater dyanmic-driver-bass of the S4i (which is also slow and not tight) be a better option or the overall punchiness and detail of the X10i's balanced armature be more suitable for EDM?

Again, have not heard the Klipsch's... but my general understanding of the S4 (vs the X10) leads me to the following presumption:  as long as we're throwing fidelity out of the window, the S4 would be better equipped to give it a good kick in the head when it lands outside.

May 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #4,612 of 5,364
Ok thanks. I think I will go with the X10i. Thank you all for your help and all your thoughts were crucial in making my decision.
Thanks all again

May 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #4,614 of 5,364
Just purchased a pair of the discontinued Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 on ebay. Previously I had a pair of image s4. The TF10s low end is much more up front. For me that was a good thing. The overall clarity is night and day as well. They also sound great directly out of my android using the Neutron Music Player (5$). Currently my desktop setup is the schiit lyr + lcd2 rev 2. + 66" amperex PQ. o-getters. I have to say the TF10's suite me throughout the day while I'm waiting to get home to my Audezes. They do have a similar sound signature (at least by my armature ears) to the lcd 2 rev.2. For me the image s4 required very high volumes to have a satisfying listening experience. With the TF10s I feel like my eardrums might last me into my 60's now! This website is great!!

Hope this information helps someone. 

May 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4,615 of 5,364
Hello, fellow Head-fiers,

I am seeking advice on purchasing a portable headphone. I had my fair share of IEMs. Even though to me it is the perfect option, the fact that my ear canal is far from the standard most IEM manufacturers follow and having to constantly re-position the headphones (I know I'm not getting a good fit either since sometimes times the bass is perfect, and 10 minutes later I can hear a dried up sound because of the improper seal [the tips pop-out]). I find that the Shure SE215 (first hi-fi headphone) was ok in terms of fit (must be the thinner nozzle compared to Sennheiser IE 60 [I even tried the comply foam tips]). So, right now I am torn between choices and compromises that have to be done in order to achieve that sweet music sound I'd like to hear while commuting to work:

1) Get a higher SQ Shure IEM (SE315; SE425) and make it work
2) Switch to Westone IEMs since the housing is smaller and the cable is nicer (I became fond of the over the ear IEM design because the housing doesn't stick out farther then the width of the ear)
3) A third worth trying IEM that has have similar features mentions above (I believe the nozzle must be similar to Shure IEMs)
4) One of the portable headphones: V-Moda M-80; ATH-WS77; ATH-WS99.
5) Any other headphone that fits the portable criteria.

*NOTE: I like my bass - it must have good response and quantity. The speed of bass is as important but I'd say takes 3rd place on the priority list. Mids and highs are no exception - must be on part with the price tag.

Also the soundstage must be fair: I understand that IEMs don't have the physical ability to produce a good soundstage (although Sennheiser somehow did it in their IE series IEMs), I'd say this is an important factor that decides the choice between IEMs and portables. Unless the IEMs can delive, the portables may end up being the right choice. 

To some it all up: Which of the type of headphone would be the right choice - IEMs (Shures, Westons, 3rd brand) vs portables (V-moda M-80, ATH-WS77, ATH-WS99); How the candidates compare in bass quality/quantity, as well as mids/highs/soundstage. I'll also appreciate any advice on getting the right fit with IEMs (most ear canals go towards the nose of the person, but mine is more straight with a small bend to the back of the head [I'm not a mutant :wink:]). I've spent hours on researching the portable headphones I have listed, and basing my self on reviews, I'm going towards the ATH-WS99. Although ATH-WS77 seams likes a more portable option, it would be a pity to miss out on having the advantage of the 53mm drivers present in ATH-WS99. I guess it all depends on how different the sound between the two is as the price is $100 difference. The V-Modas are a great headphone in terms of design and accessories.

My budget is around $300. It would be nice to spend half of that in case the ATH-WS77 are good enough. In terms of amplification - the plan is to drive the phones straight from the source (currently Sansa Clip+, and later HTC One) and own a FiiO Olympus (FiiO E10 DAC/AMP) for home use with my laptop. Future plans involve purchasing a JDLABS O2+ODAC Combo.

I thank in advance for any helpful advice and for the fact that you got through my wall'o'text :wink:

Thank you

P.S. Anyone looking to purchase Sennheiser IE60 IEMs, I could probably sell mine $100 off the street price (aside from the open box they are in perfect condition).

May 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4,616 of 5,364
Quote:
Ok thanks. I think I will go with the X10i. Thank you all for your help and all your thoughts were crucial in making my decision.
Thanks all again

Whoa, you took me seriously?  ::I kid:: 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
There's a chance that it might not be bassy enough for you, but otherwise the RE-400 should be a close enough match, particularly in terms of the forward mids and relaxed treble.

thanks will check those out

You're welcome!  Do you have a way of boosting bass if needed?

May 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #4,617 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello, fellow Head-fiers,

Hello Raster, welcome to Head-Fi! 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet...
redface.gif

Quote:
I am seeking advice on purchasing a portable headphone.

4) One of the portable headphones: V-Moda M-80; ATH-WS77; ATH-WS99.
5) Any other headphone that fits the portable criteria.

*NOTE: I like my bass - it must have good response and quantity. The speed of bass is as important but I'd say takes 3rd place on the priority list. Mids and highs are no exception - must be on part with the price tag.

Unless the IEMs can delive, the portables may end up being the right choice. 

Going with a portable would certainly work more consistently from a secure fit standpoint.  IOW, it'll irritate you less.  I have the the V-Moda M-80 and it's alright.  I would recommend an Amperior (or an HD 25-1-II if the Amperior is out of your budget) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll also appreciate any advice on getting the right fit with IEMs (most ear canals go towards the nose of the person, but mine is more straight with a small bend to the back of the head [I'm not a mutant :wink:]).

No, you're not a mutant, lol. 
biggrin.gif
  If you decide to go with an IEM, I think that the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi would be best for you in terms of both signature and fit.  The amount of bass is tunable via a port/plug system and various tips.  And, perhaps more importantly, it comes with great earhooks that really help keep them securely in your ear.  I've recommended them as exercise/workout headphones several times for exactly this reason.

Quote:
P.S. Anyone looking to purchase Sennheiser IE60 IEMs, I could probably sell mine $100 off the street price (aside from the open box they are in perfect condition).

You should list them here:  http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade  I'm sure someone'll be interested.

May 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,618 of 5,364
Quote:

A buddy of mine is a huge Sony fanboy, about as big as they come.  I once asked him about the V55, and he told me that he considers it to be a moment of deep shame for Sony.

Oh no, this news makes me sad!

I read different opinions about the V55 for the web, I thought it was some good headphones for the sound I'm looking for me!

You have you ever tried them?

I'm having my thoughts always confused about headphones.

What could I do?

May 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,619 of 5,364
Quote:
Ah, if you could go up to 200 I would have said the ER4S for the isolation and build alone (the cable is very nice longevity-wise), but taking into consideration that you might be used to a bit more bass texture and impact that would be iffy. 

Otherwise I think I'd stick with the RE-400s.

What would you recommend if I wanted something that has more bass instead of something neutral? Also I'm thinking of getting a cheap set of in-ear headphones for gym, something in the £15-30($20 -45) range. Any recommendations?

May 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #4,620 of 5,364
Hey..... yeah... its me... again..... I tried the Westone um1.... and all thanks to that i cant decide between the hf5 and the um1.... HELP PLZ WHICH 1 IS BETTER

I have both of these. They are VERY different.

The UM1 is "warm" - the highs are a bit rolled-off. The low-end isn't prominent - it is there, but it isn't "punchy" and it doesn't extend. The UM1 is often called "boring" and I suspect this is because it doesn't really have any characteristic that jumps out at you. They are very comfortable, sit flat in your ear and they have an over the ear cord. I used mine every day for several years until I broke the stem (my fault). I now use the UM2 as my daily IEM - it is similar to the UM1, but it just does everything a little better.

The HF5 is much more dynamic - there seems to be more energy in the music - probably because the upper mids and highs are more prominent. But, it is not in any way shrill or annoying - it is much more detailed than the UM1. The lows are there - but they don't bash you in the brain - they are simply a controlled part of the music. Fit is EVERYTHING for the bass. If you don't have a good seal, you will hear little or no bass. I found the Etys much less comfortable than the Westone. I really couldn't wear them for extended periods every day - my ears became sore. They have a downward hanging cord and they do not set flush with your ears.

With both of these, the choice of tips is critical to sound, comfort and isolation. With the right tips, both isolate very, very well - I used mine for commuting on a noisy train and both were excellent.

If you are looking for a hard-hitting bass monster, you will not like either of these. I think the Ety sounds better, but the Westone is much more comfortable. You won't need an amp with either of them - especially not the Westones. In fact, the low impedance of the UM1 makes it difficult to use an amp without getting hiss & distortion. They are plenty loud from any iPod/iPhone. The Etys are an insignificant amount less efficient.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back