Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #4,546 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for something that is a good all-rounder. I like to hear the bass as well as crisp sounding vocals. I am not an audiophile so I am not to familiar with the terms.

Basically looking for something with the best value-for-money at $50.

Thanks

Bassy but crisp, under $50? Sounds like the CKS55 or the E10 to me.

Quote:
I need some help in buying new in-ear headphones as my current set is dying. What would you guys recommend?

Budget: £100($150) maximum, but I would prefer something in the £50-80 ($75-120) range
Music taste: These will be used for rap 90% of the time
Using with: Usually I will be using these with my mobile phone (Sony Experia S).
Other Requirements: Good noise cancellation and neutral sound as I might use these as monitors while recording. I also would want something that has fairly durable cable or a replaceable cable like the Shure Se215.
Other Info: I have Denon AH-C710 and really liked the sound these produced so I wouldn't mind something that sounds similar but they died 
frown.gif

Neutrality and a durable cable, $75-150? Might want to look at the RE-400 or the BA200 if you mind a little warmth added to the mix (otherwise quite linear). Cable on the RE-400s are decently thick, only qualm IMO is the rather large and angled jack. The TDKs have a flat cable so take from that what you will. The BA200s insert fairly deep with the right tips, the form factor helps a lot as well. If the RE-400 nozzles work well for your canals they can also go in pretty deep. 

Quote:
Quote:
Hey..... yeah... its me... again..... I tried the Westone um1.... and all thanks to that i cant decide between the hf5 and the um1.... HELP PLZ WHICH 1 IS BETTER

Not that I've heard either of them, but I imagine that the question will come up sooner or later, so... exactly what do you mean by better? 
smile.gif

I actually did ask about his preferences and other criteria, but he never replied so...

Quote:
And OMG, its too expensive for my budget now. What are the cheaper iem's ($200) with similar signature with those sub bass rumbles, and heard the treble is too bright in some tracks is that true ? I would want it to be lil smooth,I dont mind sacrificing minute details. Just want to hear good and fun sound, with mids coming forward and live, I hate laid back vocals.
I hate when the high's screech or produce (ssss sound) . Sorry I am asking too much, but just wish there is a good iem out there, which could satisfy my taste.
I guess atrio mg7,accutone taurus,T- peos h-100,final design adagio III,radius ddm2,dunu dn-19 tai chi and hippo vb fits my criteria ?
Or any other iem which has similar bass as these ?

That list is so disparate I'm not sure where to begin - seems all over the place really. 

The EX600 deals out pretty much the same signature as with the EX1000s - but since you are against sibliance neither would really be ideal unless EQ is in the cards. 

Haven't heard the Tai Chi, Taurus or the T-Peos but the MG7s might be a bit uneven around the upper mids, though pretty smooth and laid-back as a whole. The FADs are really not for someone who's against an uneven treble.

May 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4,547 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah, sad to say that the HA-S600 line is probably not it.

Monoprice 8323.

As I understand it, they are basically the next version of the XB300.  If they fit anything like the XB300, they will fly off your head the first chance they get.

Sure, no problem!  I'll post some impressions here as I know a few other people were wondering about them as well.  In the meantime, here's what ljokerl thinks of them:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/logitech-ue-600-ear-monitor

How are the Monoprice 8323's in terms of sound stage and bass and how do they compare to the AKGs or Panasonic HTF600s? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help!

May 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4,548 of 5,364
Quote:
Neutrality and a durable cable, $75-150? Might want to look at the RE-400 or the BA200 if you mind a little warmth added to the mix (otherwise quite linear). Cable on the RE-400s are decently thick, only qualm IMO is the rather large and angled jack. The TDKs have a flat cable so take from that what you will. The BA200s insert fairly deep with the right tips, the form factor helps a lot as well. If the RE-400 nozzles work well for your canals they can also go in pretty deep. 

Thanks for the info. Out of these two I think that I might prefer the RE-400 as I'm not a fan of the flat cable. Also what about if I increased my budget to $200? Would there be anything in that range that would be worth taking into consideration? Btw I forgot to add that bass quality is also important for me and but as long as it's similar to the denon ah-c710 which I had it's all good.

May 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #4,549 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Out of these two I think that I might prefer the RE-400 as I'm not a fan of the flat cable. Also what about if I increased my budget to $200? Would there be anything in that range that would be worth taking into consideration? Btw I forgot to add that bass quality is also important for me and but as long as it's similar to the denon ah-c710 which I had it's all good.

Ah, if you could go up to 200 I would have said the ER4S for the isolation and build alone (the cable is very nice longevity-wise), but taking into consideration that you might be used to a bit more bass texture and impact that would be iffy. 

Otherwise I think I'd stick with the RE-400s.

May 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #4,550 of 5,364
Quote:

You're welcome!  I think that's a good call, and personally I'm jealous, but also happy for you.  BTW, what color are you gonna get?  The silver one looks okay, but I think I'll always like the blue one better.  I wish they would make a gunmetal one.

The blue, I don't fancy the silver much at all but it will have to wait a few weeks as I just obtained my motorcycle learners permit.

May 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,551 of 5,364
I'm actually trying to find things I haven't replied to because for some reason I feel as if I've missed answering a lot of stuff these past few days - if anyone could help me out with that, that'd be great.

Also I realized we just went past the 300 page hallmark recently! Not to mention we've officially gotten third place for the most active thread of the day rankings, and we're also quite high up on the weekly rankings. Thanks to all that have contributed! One of these days maybe we'll finally past that Full-Sized Recommendations thread...here's hoping.

Also a shameless plug for more help - sometimes a lot of people come in for input. Other times it's just me and Warren. In the past it was mainly me, and way before that it was me and Doc, and way before that....well I don't really think there was anyone before that. But a more sizable team would be immensely helpful - not only for a more varied sense of input, but to pick up the slack whenever the others are away. This is strictly out of the goodness of one's heart - if you want to help and have the time to occasionally pitch in, great!

May 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,553 of 5,364
Quote:

Usually people don't go for this, which is quite odd, but IEMs are really supposed to be worn behind the neck and over the ears - they see it done on stage and yet no one follows suit. I can tell you that when I used to perform, and someone worn their monitors straight down....oh boy. It's also fairly practical for everyday usage - more of a habitual thing for me nowadays. Also, don't forget to pull up the cable cinch to the back of your neck. Usually when you have a deep enough seal there'd be little chances of them actually getting pulled out without quite a bit of effort. Not to mention they destroy most non-in-ears in terms of isolation by a fair bit.

Now that I've (hopefully) sold you on IEMs (it's fine if we haven't though) - will have to mention that, while genres are helpful, it'd probably be easier for us to specify something if you go into a bit more detail regarding sound preferences, signature preferences, any particular set of characteristics you would take priority in hearing while listening to said genres. It isn't really that hard to find decent sound so why not to go the extra mile.

You and another user have convinced me to try an IEM, but I can't really say what music characteristics I would prefer because I don't have the vocabulary.  If they can be approximated from music genres, then I would say that I typically listen to house music, disco and funk.  I really can't decompose what I'm looking for in sound (probably wouldn't know even if I had the vocabulary), but I was plenty satisfied with the sound on my sennheiser PMX 200s.  Really my major concern is that of durability, isolation (hopefully this includes whether or not they're disturbed by high winds too), and whether or not they still stay on while I'm working.

Someone recommended the DUNU DN-19 Tai Chi.  I was actually going to buy them because they have the "ear hook" design (and I really just need a new pair of headphones as I'm falling behind in my audiobooks), but I wasn't able to find a place that would ship to the US for anything less than $150 (amazon wouldn't ship to my or any of my friends' addresses for an unexplained reason).  If there's something that has a similar "ear hook" design (apparently DUNU's is patented
rolleyes.gif
), I would probably be up for it.

May 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #4,554 of 5,364
I need an advice...Im considering to buy Sony MDR-1R and I have like 15 hours to decide cos I have great deal...

Im going to run them unamped but will do an diyMod and get an amp in the future.

I have senn px 100 and their bass is enough for me,can anyone compare it to the Momentum and 1R (bass)

Also I was looking at Senn Momentum but Im afraid that I will miss a bass because I listen to
a lot of psytrance and trance and electronica,but I also like jazz and power metal,
modern music like pop and rap.
So pretty much of everything :/

The things important are that phones look good and are well built with detachable cable and
build quality is very important!Im not a person who changes earphones often.

Now Im considering IEM-s,unamped for now.Build quality and detachable cable are important,
looks not so much but comfort is.

I just dont have enough time to read everything so I have to ask here...Please help me!
Thank You and sorry for typos :)

May 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,555 of 5,364
Quote:
You and another user have convinced me to try an IEM, but I can't really say what music characteristics I would prefer because I don't have the vocabulary.  If they can be approximated from music genres, then I would say that I typically listen to house music, disco and funk.  I really can't decompose what I'm looking for in sound (probably wouldn't know even if I had the vocabulary), but I was plenty satisfied with the sound on my sennheiser PMX 200s.  Really my major concern is that of durability, isolation (hopefully this includes whether or not they're disturbed by high winds too), and whether or not they still stay on while I'm working.

Someone recommended the DUNU DN-19 Tai Chi.  I was actually going to buy them because they have the "ear hook" design (and I really just need a new pair of headphones as I'm falling behind in my audiobooks), but I wasn't able to find a place that would ship to the US for anything less than $150 (amazon wouldn't ship to my or any of my friends' addresses for an unexplained reason).  If there's something that has a similar "ear hook" design (apparently DUNU's is patented
rolleyes.gif
), I would probably be up for it.

Okay, so forgoing sound for a minute, but would you be looking at over-ear styled IEMs or over-ear styled with memory wire/hooks incorporated? I'm actually unfamiliar with the Tai Chi so not sure if they fit under the former or the latter category. 

I need an advice...Im considering to buy Sony MDR-1R and I have like 15 hours to decide cos I have great deal...

Im going to run them unamped but will do an diyMod and get an amp in the future.

I have senn px 100 and their bass is enough for me,can anyone compare it to the Momentum and 1R (bass)

Also I was looking at Senn Momentum but Im afraid that I will miss a bass because I listen to
a lot of psytrance and trance and electronica,but I also like jazz and power metal,
modern music like pop and rap.
So pretty much of everything :/

The things important are that phones look good and are well built with detachable cable and
build quality is very important!Im not a person who changes earphones often.

Now Im considering IEM-s,unamped for now.Build quality and detachable cable are important,
looks not so much but comfort is.

I just dont have enough time to read everything so I have to ask here...Please help me!
Thank You and sorry for typos :)

While the MDR-1R share a similar FR shape, the PX100s are still much more smoothed out and lush - puts the focus on both the bass and mids rather than what the Sony does (that is, it's distinctly mid-centric with a bass bump that doesn't intrude). If you are looking for a familiar presentation the Momentums do still retain that sense of smoothness without the boom. 

Regarding the IEMs, have a budget in particular?

May 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,557 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey..... yeah... its me... again..... I tried the Westone um1.... and all thanks to that i cant decide between the hf5 and the um1.... HELP PLZ WHICH 1 IS BETTER

Not that I've heard either of them, but I imagine that the question will come up sooner or later, so... exactly what do you mean by better? 
smile.gif

I actually did ask about his preferences and other criteria, but he never replied so...

Yup, just thought I'd reinforce that fact that - despite our best intentions - we're not really gonna get anywhere with this until he describes that in more detail.

May 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,558 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, sad to say that the HA-S600 line is probably not it.

Monoprice 8323.

As I understand it, they are basically the next version of the XB300.  If they fit anything like the XB300, they will fly off your head the first chance they get.

Sure, no problem!  I'll post some impressions here as I know a few other people were wondering about them as well.  In the meantime, here's what ljokerl thinks of them:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/logitech-ue-600-ear-monitor

How are the Monoprice 8323's in terms of sound stage and bass and how do they compare to the AKGs or Panasonic HTF600s? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help!

The soundstage is nominal and not particularly wide or deep, although imaging within that stage is above par for it's price.  The bass is definitely punchy as it is - after all - a DJ headphone by design.  As for comparisons, I'm sorry, could you remind me of which AKG?  The K518LE/K81DJ you mean?  Versus the Panasonic HTF600, I would say that the Panasonic offer a more balanced signature, though there is a little congestion in the mids.  If I have to choose between the Monoprice and the Panasonic, wow that'd be a tough call.  Between those two, it would come down largely to how much bass you want.  More bass = the Monoprice.  Even bass = the Panasonic.

May 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,559 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!  I think that's a good call, and personally I'm jealous, but also happy for you.  BTW, what color are you gonna get?  The silver one looks okay, but I think I'll always like the blue one better.  I wish they would make a gunmetal one.

The blue, I don't fancy the silver much at all but it will have to wait a few weeks as I just obtained my motorcycle learners permit.

Yeah, I'm with you on that call.  BTW, I'm kinda missing the relation to the learners' permit? 
confused.gif

May 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4,560 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm actually trying to find things I haven't replied to because for some reason I feel as if I've missed answering a lot of stuff these past few days - if anyone could help me out with that, that'd be great.

Everyone who still needs TwinQY's help, repost! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to all that have contributed!

+1 
redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also a shameless plug for more help - if you want to help and have the time to occasionally pitch in, great!

+1... would definitely be appreciated by all I think. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back