Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,471 of 5,364
Any one has both the um2 and sm2v2? How do they compare to each other? I searched around these forums but there are very little information for these two iems. Am I better off with the BA 200 recommended? Or might as well get a um3/sm3v2?

May 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #4,472 of 5,364
Quote:

That would be the HiFiMan RE-400.  In fact, I've heard it mentioned that it could be as good as IEMs costing ten times that!!! 
eek.gif

EDIT:  In fact, here is the quote verbatim...

Btw the reason why I thought the Sony XBA 2 would be good is since it has two drivers and I thought having more will make the sound better. Like I seen some Shure earbuds that have like 3 drivers and they sounded amazing. Also I thought having titanium drivers will make it not have good lows on them. I heard some Koss full sized headphones and yes they sounded good but didn't have much low end. I remember back in 2009 I heard some Shure earbuds and they sounded great had good bass mids and highs. But of course is was around $300 but I thought that the Sony XBA 2 would sound good also since it has more than one driver.

May 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4,473 of 5,364
But is titanium drivers best for headphones and sound the best? I do like speakers that have titanium tweeters on them but since it has a woofer also then it doesn't sound tinny and have bass. But maybe if titanium drivers are good for headphones then I can get the Koss UR40 or something like that since it's affordable and has the titanium drivers. Of course cheaper the better for me since I' am in a tight budget. But eatherway I thought that the Sony XBA 2 was the best since it had two drivers.

May 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,474 of 5,364
I have some kns6400s that I absolutely love, however they are bulky and I grow tired of taking them out and about. To that end I need some hopefully similar portables perhaps supra aural. They will be driven by a leckerton uha6s mk2.
My Music: I need it sound good with most genres but spend most of my time with various types of metal, http://www.last.fm/user/args_billius
Preferred Signature: Flat and analytical, detailed, clean/clear, I like great mids and slightly less bass, unforgiving is ok
Isolation: I need high isolation
Budget: Up to $300 but prefer around $200 if possible

May 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,475 of 5,364
Quote:
hi everyone.

after wrecking yet another pair of px100 cans, I've had it with these flimsy cabled things. I love them for sound and comfort but these cables are way too prone to accidental damage in my experience. Same with Koss Portapro.

Can anyone recommend something in this price and size range that has a thicker cable? Looking at AKG portables but seeing too many mixed reviews.
Thank you in advance.

I've had several Senn and AKG portables, and unfortunately they've all had rather thin cables, sometimes accompanied by questionable strain reliefs as well.  Since I agree with most of my fellow Head-Fiers - in that sound and comfort should still remain your first priority - I would suggest that you re-cable one of your existing units.  Here are some links that might help:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/129954/senn-px100-recable-possible
http://www.head-fi.org/t/435851/koss-portapro-recable

If you have no soldering experience and don't feel comfortable, maybe you could also inquire as to whether Brian from BTG Audio could do it for you.

May 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,476 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Sure!  I wish I could say, but as I haven't really heard the triple.fi, I just can't.  However, going back to the DT1350 = UE700 = T70p thing earlier, I just found out something interesting:

Not too bad eh?  I seemed to have scored a lucky shot in the dark there.  I believe the UE700 is also cheaper than the Triple.fi?

thats a pretty similar response graphing, I already bought the triple fi 10 sometime ago (way before I ask this) for around 200 bucks?
so yeah I guess the Ue700 is on my next buy list together with a 70 p, maybe the 70 p first

I would HIGHLY advise adding both the UE700 and T70p to your cart at Amazon.  Then visit your cart periodically to and refresh the prices.  Amazon occasionally has some pretty crazy price drops that you'll want to take advantage of.  For example, I got my UE700 from Amazon new for $75 shipped, not kidding. 
smile.gif

May 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,477 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif
  Good, I am glad.  
Wow, that is a little bit expensive.  They are only $65 here.  I would wait a little while and see if the price drops further.

Also, there is a related model called the SE-MJ721... DO NOT GET THAT ONE.  The quality is worse, the sound is worse, and it does not have the dual drivers.  I do not recommend it.

How much are the CAL and S500 in Italy?

The price to $ 65 is really good, pity that in Italy they are not at this price: (

The CAL in Italy cost 50 € (65 $) and S500 € 44 ($ 57). The S500 are shipped from Japan and can be found on ebay.

unfortunately I think I have a few choices, or S500 CAL, I do not think there are other models suitable for me. Could you confirm?

I think that both the CAL and S500 are good choices, probably your best choices at that budget.  Both have been recommend to me by friends that I trust, so I would not hesitate to get them.  I say this because, we have no idea when the MJ751 price will drop.

May 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,478 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello Everybody,

I need advice for getting a new setup : mp3 player + earphones under 400$ budget ?
my last was RE-ZERO + ipod classic or samsung galaxy note 2.
i did some research and i ended up with :

Mp3 player
either a cowon may be x7 ,  pros : space and battery life    cons : device size
or a sansa clip+ with rockbox   pros : price and device size      cons : space and battery life
(i recently found out they made a rockbox  port for ipod classic 6G, so will this be enough, or the output sound quality of other mp3 players is better) ??

iem
i like the RE-ZERO too much very clear and pure sound, detailed and high seperation of instruments.
i need something with better or same sound quality with nearly the same signature , a bit higher bass and better build quality.
i have read reviews for RE-400, etymotic ER-4S, etymotic HF5, Vsonic GR07 ? i don't know which suits me more.
i don't know anything about amps.
at the end i need a better sound experience.
open to other suggessions.

Thanks

Hi Mohamed, I would still go with the RE-400 as your IEM choice given the $200 budget.  It's only $100 so it will save you some money that you can then use for a DAC/amp combo.  Since you're playing lossless files, I would suggest a DAC/amp combo.  Then you can completely remove your phone's audio components from the picture and have some dedicated audio hardware that is suited just for the task.  Some budget DAC/amp combo units that you might want to take a look at would be the Fiio E7 and the iBasso D-Zero.  TwinQY, if you need more info on his requirements, look here.

May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4,479 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, no problem at all.  Well you know which rec I'm going to stand by...

Any advice on upgrade cables for the ue 900? Is it worth it to custom make copper, silver plated, or pure silver for the ue 900?

In general, I'd say that the cost of upgrading cables for better sound is probably not worth it at this level... and that those funds could be better put to use towards a better sounding unit (or other signal path components).  Having said that, let's wait for TwinQY to chime in as I have yet to receive my UE900 yet.

May 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #4,480 of 5,364
I know I'm asking for it but before I start, the crappy Bose headsets were given to me and I would never buy Bose headphones, period. I've always enjoyed my AKGs and look forward to trying Sennheizers, and Prados one day.  The crappy built quality of my Quiet Confort Bose QC2 (I believe) finally died in one ear, after a return, replacement and more problems then I care to talk about over the years.

Question 1: Has anyone ever successfully repaired one ear, i.e. opened it up and soldering the loose wire?
It is most likely a faulty contact. It gave up to me at a GP race where I heard fizzle and then nothing. I don't care much about the sound quality and mostly use the NC. I feel it shouldn't be this hard to repair a dead ear. Like I said, it crackled then fizzled, so I don't think it's the driver.

Question 2: What good quality NC does anyone recommend? As far as I can see, AKG makes an OK NC headset but it seems the verdict is still out for anything under $200. I use NC mostly for reading and meditating. I'll use my AKGs for music, listening and playing any other time. 

Also before you suggest IEMs, which are great, I develop in ear wax build up by using them. They are unfirtunately not a solution. Although those Etymotics sound great.

Should I post this somewhere else? Thanks, Nicolas

May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,481 of 5,364
Quote:
Recently my apple earphones stopped working and so I started looking for a new pair of decent IEMs for a maximum of 100€ (living in austria, europe, but ordering them online wouldn't be a problem), but I really don't know, which ones I should get.
I like to listen to hard stuff (metal, hardcore,...) and edm (dubstep, drum and bass,...), but also mixtures between these genres.

So I would like to have a really nice clear sound but also a decent and deep bass, not too strong tough (my brother has got beats solo and I pretty much would like the exact opposite sound, as they have a really extreme and exagerated bass which I don't even like when listening to edm and the sound is not clear). 
I also do care a little bit about the design, but thats not that important, as long as they don't look like they are especially made for girls or something like that.

Hmm, well the opposite of the original solo would be something "n" shaped and mid-centric... but somehow I don't think you'd exactly want that per se.  I have a UE600 coming in the mail sometime in the next few days, and I think that might work for you.  If you don't mind waiting a few days, I'd be happy to post some impressions about them here when they come in.  TwinQY, got a rec for something with detailed mids and non-irritating highs with good bass extension but no boomy mid-bass hump?

May 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4,482 of 5,364
Quote:
What are some good earphones for listening to music (hip/hop/R&B) for less than $50 to Australia?

RHA MA350.  It'll have the bass and sub-bass you want for hip hop, but not recessed/muddy mids for your R&B vocals.

Quote:
I was looking at the JVC HA-FX101 ($24)

Please don't...
redface.gif

May 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,483 of 5,364
Quote:

RHA MA350.  It'll have the bass and sub-bass you want for hip hop, but not recessed/muddy mids for your R&B vocals.

Seconded. They're a great choice for hip-hop.

May 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4,484 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
That would be the HiFiMan RE-400.  In fact, I've heard it mentioned that it could be as good as IEMs costing ten times that!!! 
eek.gif

Btw the reason why I thought the Sony XBA 2 would be good is since it has two drivers and I thought having more will make the sound better. Like I seen some Shure earbuds that have like 3 drivers and they sounded amazing. Also I thought having titanium drivers will make it not have good lows on them. I heard some Koss full sized headphones and yes they sounded good but didn't have much low end. I remember back in 2009 I heard some Shure earbuds and they sounded great had good bass mids and highs. But of course is was around $300 but I thought that the Sony XBA 2 would sound good also since it has more than one driver.

Sure, I can understand that.  BA drivers are commonly considered to be relatively bass light (in terms of quantity).  As a result, many manufacturers start adding in more drivers, with the additional BA driver acting as a woofer to improve bass response.  So if you're looking for something to have more prominent bass, that second BA helps.  However, this does not necessarily mean that it sounds better.  The best BA IEM I have at the moment is a single BA (technically a moving armature, so MA).  And it has better bass than my dual-BA UE700.  BTW, if you're looking for something that has a lot of bass on a budget, you'd probably be better off with a well-balanced dynamic instead of a balanced armature.

May 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,485 of 5,364
Quote:
I have some kns6400s that I absolutely love, however they are bulky and I grow tired of taking them out and about. To that end I need some hopefully similar portables perhaps supra aural. They will be driven by a leckerton uha6s mk2.
My Music: I need it sound good with most genres but spend most of my time with various types of metal, http://www.last.fm/user/args_billius
Preferred Signature: Flat and analytical, detailed, clean/clear, I like great mids and slightly less bass, unforgiving is ok
Isolation: I need high isolation
Budget: Up to $300 but prefer around $200 if possible

Okay, I really want to say Sennheiser Amperior here, but it's kind of outside the target budget.  Maybe a V-Moda M-80 would be good for your needs.  A friend of mine who listens to Metal likes his M-80.  I enjoy my M-80, for some of the reasons that you specified above, but then again I don't really listen to Metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back