Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #4,261 of 5,364
Hey guys what's your opinion on the dunu tridents? My main concern is durability and decent sound quality. They seem to fit the bill. Are there any better sounding alternatives with the same or better build quality below $100?

May 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #4,262 of 5,364
Hey guys,

Recently the left earbud of my Vsonic GR02 stopped working and I was looking for a replacement.

I most often use my earbuds for commuting and at the gym (so they often get accidentally pulled out of my ear).

I mostly listen to EDM, House, and sometimes hiphop.

Can you give me any recommendations for under $100? I'm basically looking for something with strong bass and somewhat durable.

May 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4,263 of 5,364
inyoeye, do you need an iDevice remote on it?

May 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4,264 of 5,364
Okay, here's the thing... I really, really want to say HD 25-1-II (or even better Amperior), but those are WAY out of the price range.  Something much closer to the price target would be the Sony MDR-V6, but that's not exactly portable.  And of course, we can't even touch on Grados because there won't be any isolation.

The aforementioned K518 *might* work for you, but ONLY if you rip out the ridiculous foam pads out of the ear cups like I did so that it's not so bassy.

But if all of those don't work, I'll have to default to either a Panasonic RP-HTF600-S or the Monoprice 8323 and hope that they're "portable" enough (which they probably won't be).

Very tight and punchy bass, combined with slightly forward mids, and clear (but not sibilant) highs - all rolled into a well-isolated package - is surprisingly hard to come by in a small portable @ $50.  That's my (and your) dilemna here.

Could I find anything for 80 dollars top?

May 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4,265 of 5,364
Quote:
Could I find anything for 80 dollars top?

Wait, did you get a chance to check out the JVC HA-S500-B around here yet?  It's got a pretty rabid fanbase here apparently.

May 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #4,267 of 5,364
Fixed my list from earlier. I will definitely be returning the xb60ex since even after ~30 hours solid burn in they don't do what I want so here's my new list. I'm looking for an iem that can represent all genres accurately with a slight bass emphasis. I've eliminated iem's with straight connectors for durability concerns. (Why don't all iem's have right angle jacks?) Feel free to amend my list with your thoughts and also let me know if any have harsh sibilance. I'm pretty sensitive to treble so dark for me = better. As a point of reference I consider the px100ii to be "neutral". Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

re-400
xb90ex hifiguy informed me they wouldn't fare so well as all-rounders
se 215
cks 99/77
fxd 80/70
eph 100
ex 600

May 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4,268 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Wait, did you get a chance to check out the JVC HA-S500-B around here yet?  It's got a pretty rabid fanbase here apparently.

Just did and it seems people think is the best for the price, but since I am already buying a 200 dollars one I will take these too, know anything about over ear for 200?

Same isolation requirement?  Or can this pair be open for home use?

Quote:
also let me know if any have harsh sibilance. I'm pretty sensitive to treble so dark for me = better. As a point of reference I consider the px100ii to be "neutral". Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

blink.gif
  Wow!  Okay, need to completely shift my scale here.  The RE-400 should still be pretty good for you.  You may, every once in a while, push against the sibilance envelope - but I don't think it will be a constant irritation.  I still think that there might not be enough bass for you as I found it rather bass light (quantitatively-speaking).  As for alternatives, none really come to mind.  I tend to favor an ever-so-slightly brighter-than-neutral signature myself, so most of what I'm intimately familiar with is along those lines.

May 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,269 of 5,364
Hey,

I'm looking for a new portable headphone for when my IEM's finally give up. Closed headphone. These are for use while in school, and the bus. My budget is under $50. The type of music I mainly listen to is Synthpop/Electropop, and post-hardcore. My Koss TBSE's are just not portable headphones for me with the heavy cord, bright sound signature, and barely any isolation and my V6's are too bright. I lean towards a warmer sound signature as my ears are kind of sensitive to sibilance and highs (Sennheiser has my favorite sound sig, as well a my Koss Portapros for example). I've been contemplating on: JVC S400, Superlux EVO (they will probably go down in price) , HD419. Durability is a huge plus. 

Thanks. 

May 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,270 of 5,364
Quote:

blink.gif
  Wow!  Okay, need to completely shift my scale here.  The RE-400 should still be pretty good for you.  You may, every once in a while, push against the sibilance envelope - but I don't think it will be a constant irritation.  I still think that there might not be enough bass for you as I found it rather bass light (quantitatively-speaking).  As for alternatives, none really come to mind.  I tend to favor an ever-so-slightly brighter-than-neutral signature myself, so most of what I'm intimately familiar with is along those lines.

Haha yea, I've gotten that response before. I think so too. I have a friend that says they're comparable to his gr07, which I enjoyed.
I'm still looking for other options, something with a bigger soundstage perhaps. Is there such a thing as the hd600 of the iem world?

May 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4,273 of 5,364
Hello all!

I'm currently looking for a good all around iem for under $90

I listen to a variety of music, from classic rock and psychedelic rock to hip hop to electronic. 

My current listening experience (and the best sound I've experienced thus far) includes a pair of JVC HA-S500 headphones. These sound phenomenal to me. 

So far, my favorite iem's have been a pair of Brainwavz M5's that were comfortable and enjoyable to listen to, but unfortunately I lost them. 

I'm strongly considering ordering another pair of Branwavz M5's, however I'm considering any iem under $90. 

May 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,274 of 5,364
Quote:

I'm looking for a new portable headphone for when my IEM's finally give up. Closed headphone. These are for use while in school, and the bus. My budget is under $50. The type of music I mainly listen to is Synthpop/Electropop, and post-hardcore. My Koss TBSE's are just not portable headphones for me with the heavy cord, bright sound signature, and barely any isolation and my V6's are too bright. I lean towards a warmer sound signature as my ears are kind of sensitive to sibilance and highs (Sennheiser has my favorite sound sig, as well a my Koss Portapros for example). I've been contemplating on: JVC S400, Superlux EVO (they will probably go down in price) , HD419. Durability is a huge plus. 

I'm inclined to suggest the aforementioned K518/K81DJ as it does seem to fit.  But also, might want to take a look at the S500 that slytherin is considering.  I've been told that the S500 is significantly better than the S400, and it seems to fit within your budget.

Quote:
Quote:

blink.gif

Haha yea, I've gotten that response before. I think so too. I have a friend that says they're comparable to his gr07, which I enjoyed.
I'm still looking for other options, something with a bigger soundstage perhaps. Is there such a thing as the hd600 of the iem world?

There must be, but I'm hard-pressed to think of one.  You know, just because I don't gravitate to that signature much.  Plus, I've kinda been into BAs recently, so you know what that means. 
wink.gif
  The darkest IEMs I have are my Denon AH-W150BU.  And I think those would be too dark even for you... plus it's a Bluetooth sports thing-a-ma-jig.

Quote:
Quote:
Same isolation requirement?  Or can this pair be open for home use?

This pair can be for home use, Comfort is a huge plus

I would probably go with a Beyer DT770/80 for this.  Or, if you can manage to find a really good deal on an HD 598, that would work too.  And as a last resort, maybe an HD558 would suffice.  I haven't heard the HD 558, but I know it has similarities with the HD 598 (and in fact shares the same drivers as the HD 598).

May 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,275 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,

My iPhone earphones broke the other day so are looking to get some new earphones, I wanted something with a bit of colour and came across BassBuds, I was having a look on their website and it says they are compatible with an iPhone which is great, they have reviews from celebs and others but I'm not sure about the quality?

Have any of you guys had experience with this brand? Just wondering whether they are worth the price.

http://www.bassbuds.co.uk

This is the pair I was looking at 
normal_smile .gif

Unfortunately no :frowning2: In fact there's been almost no mention of them on the forum either, and I've yet to see one of these out in the wild. 

We could help with alternatives in case that one doesn't work out. Other than the colour criteria, anything else you might want to specify? Sound signature, build, comfort, etc...

Quote:
Hi guys, is the hf5 worth the price??? I think i might wanna have more options that have around the same price of the hf5. I love details and isolation and less bass plz

HF5-soundalikes - R-50 (bit more extension but not as rounded of note or warm), A161P (small housing, can go in fairly deep, bit more bass than either two but still quite delicate of note and subdued, very balanced), PFE012 - (think HF5 but a bit more crisp yet smoother around the lower-mids, though they are rather shallow-fitting), RE-400 (warmest out of the lot, very textured and clean, note clarity isn't as apparent due to the slightly thicker presentation - i.e. there's more body and fullness - but overall the sig isn't overblown and actually a bit less midbassy than the A161P - not to mention the natural detailing capabilities is off-the-chart good)

Otherwise the HF5s are very much a terrific value - isolation destroys most, if not almost all IEMs in general. The nozzle is a bit thin and build might not be as satisfying long-term against the other choices, but usually people who take good care of their stuff should worry little about that aspect. 

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend bluetooth wireless earphones ideally that fit like my shure se315's with the Sound Isolating foam as find its the only thing that fits my ear well and is comfortable.

Edit: Like [size=1.2em]Jabra Sport Bluetooth headset but with the shure style tips and foam.[/size]

[size=1.2em]Any help would be appreciated as been looking for ages to find some.[/size]

[size=1.2em]Cheers,[/size]
[size=1.2em]Joe[/size]

Budget? The Phiatons or the Jaybirds might work out - the most decent out of a bad lot (bluetooth-dedicated sets in general). Otherwise you could actually just use the 315s, or any normal set of IEMs with a wireless dongle -  http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Stereo-Clip-On-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B0057WWK5E (not specifying this model in particular, but just giving an example).

Quote:
Hi all.  My Klipsch S4s just died on me (the cable, of course), so it is time to find new headphones.  I generally liked the S4s, but they were my first pair of decent headphones, and I am not opposed to finding something I might like even more. 

Price range: $100 or under, but I am willing to pay up to $200 if the sound is significantly better enough to justify it. 

Music listened to:  All sorts, except very little clasical, jazz, or country.  Mostly current or 90's rock, industrial, darkwave, and complex techno.  My ideal headphones would bring out the complexity and sometimes musical brutality of Nine Inch Nails, the intense emotion of Flyleaf's vocals, the bright and clear sound of Yellowcard's fiddle (without smothering the beats), any slamming guitar riffs, and still rattle my eardrums a bit with punchy bass lines.  With techno they could manage clear (sparkly?) highs and mids, and still hit me with the beat.  Maybe too much to ask...?

Device: Cowon X7

Activity:  Walking and riding the bus, nothing terribly athletic or jostling.  

What did I like about the S4s?  The bass was not bad, though there were times when I wanted more, but I suspect that was thanks to the fit in my ears.  I generally just loved the sound quality, but I don't have the right words to describe it. 

What didn't I like?  There were times when the mid range was kinda muffled, vocals got a bit burried and the fiddle in Yellowcard (for example) wound up kind of in the background of the music.  That said, I think this was likely due to my inability to tweak the equalizer exactly right, and any advice anyone can prvide for that would be great as well. 

I think that covers it.  Any recomendations are appreciated.  Thank You!!!

Aggressive, clear, sparkle, bass, immediate presentation - (what I gathered from that, if I'm mistaken please do correct me) - I dare say you needn't spend all that much as the FXD80s fit pretty much all of the criteria and slots in very nicely in terms of sound signature/presentation. Really quite apt. There's also the UE700 but it's not as immediate or V-shaped or sparkly. Bass texture is also slightly better although the presentation in that area is still rather similar.

Quote:
Hey guys, looking for iems that are durable and won't break after a month. I'd prefer it to be warmish and have good bass impact. Under 100$ is preferable.
thanks in advance!

Hey guys what's your opinion on the dunu tridents? My main concern is durability and decent sound quality. They seem to fit the bill. Are there any better sounding alternatives with the same or better build quality below $100?

Regarding the Tridents - they'd definitely be a shoe-in durability wise but for sound I'd much rather look at their other offerings like the Hephaes or even the Craters. Simply more proficient all-round and less slow/sluggish transient/leading note wise. 

Other alternatives from other brands, considering your criteria for warmth and bass impact - the M2 and GR02 comes to mind - very much under the budget, but personally find them to be technically more proficient over plenty of the Dunus. The cabling on the VSonics is glorious, and the metal shells on the Brainwavz exudes quality (and not the typical metal housings which dent easily).

Quote:
My favorite balanced universal happens to be the UE700 (with the Grado GR8 being a close second).  I find the UE700 exceeding balanced, with just a tad of brightness at the top.  And I think that the quality of the UE700's bass (in terms of speed and texture) are phenomenal.

Having said that, I would really like to try a UE900 as people have told me it will blow my mind.  And my dream universal is a pricey mamma jamma called a Tralucent Audio 1plus2.  Of course, I haven't heard either of those last two yet.  So outside of my desire for them, I can't say much.

Of my two favorites, the UE700 holds the crown in overall signature, but I'd suggest the Grado GR8 if you're looking for something a tad more mid-centric.

Yep yep yep. But the UE900s WILL blow your mind if those qualities are being prioritized. Technicalities are simply jaw-dropping.

Quote:
I am looking to get a better kit together for listening at work.
I am going to try and detail things the best that I can.

Source: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 -Wolfson DAC (Rooted - Voodoo sound enabled)
  • Pandora
  • Rdio (might switch back to Spotify)
  • FLAC and AAC

Equipment used ( * marks no longer use):
  • Digizoid ZO2 (Recent purchase, love this thing!)
  • * Fiio E6 (Not bad, always sounded overprocessed to me)
  • Phillips SHE3582 (Amazing for the price)
  • Sony MDR-210EX (I switch between these and the SHE3582)
  • * Klipsch S4i (The sound in these were really great, build quality... eh)
  • Home use - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm (Just to list them)

Music:
  • Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, The Who, Rush)
  • 80's Alternative (The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc)
  • Dubstep/Drum and Bass
  • General Eclectic (TMBG, Adele, Fleetwood Mac)

My current price range is $600, this would be for phones and possibly different amplification. (if the experts point me in that direction).

I can be a basshead at times, but I also carry 2-3 sets of headphones with me to satisfy my craving for whatever music I am listening too.

I will primarily be in the office and listening for 6-8 hours a day. So comfort is a factor.
I am not a huge fan of, I don't know what to call it, cord around the ear style earbuds. The only pair that I had (can't remember the brand) had very thick cable and I had to cinch the headphone slider tight (looked like I was wearing a bolo tie). Hated that.

Oh great sages of the Church of Earphonics, please hear my cry!

Genres are helpful but ultimately we value different presentations. I say this way too often nowadays (mainly because most skimp out on this part) but stating sound signature preferences, any characteristics/parts in particular that you value on your current equipment, that you value being presented with said genres, would be immensely more helpful. 

Regarding the over-ear style of wearing IEMs - usually on stage people wrap them on the back of the head/neck, and pull the cinch up from there. A good portion of the nicer choices, at least sound-wise, at this budget will be primarily over-ears style so do keep that into consideration.

Quote:
Hello all. I am in the market for some on ear headphones with a neutral balanced sound. To give people an idea of what I like, these are my current headphones/IEMs and love them all; AKG Q701, Shure SRH840, and VSonic GR07.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Also, I would prefer them to have a detachable cable. Thanks...

Budget? Unless I've missed out on something here....

Quote:
Hey guys,

Recently the left earbud of my Vsonic GR02 stopped working and I was looking for a replacement.

I most often use my earbuds for commuting and at the gym (so they often get accidentally pulled out of my ear).

I mostly listen to EDM, House, and sometimes hiphop.

Can you give me any recommendations for under $100? I'm basically looking for something with strong bass and somewhat durable.

The shells on the Brainwavz M2s are much more solid and robust, but the cabling isn't quite as nice. Assuming that the failure was driver-related and not cable-related, might want to check that out. 

Anything else in terms of sound characteristics in particular you might be looking for other than strong bass? Genres usually don't speak much to that as most do value different presentations of said genres. 

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks. 

Finally another post-hardcore person - the S400s are very immediate and crisp for that sort of stuff, while retaining plenty warmth. Though you might not be partial to brightness as mentioned abouve...The Senns might be more forgiving in that area but just not as apparently proficent.

Ever check out the Downtowns? They might fit the forgiving-sound role.

Hello all!

I'm currently looking for a good all around iem for under $90

I listen to a variety of music, from classic rock and psychedelic rock to hip hop to electronic. 

My current listening experience (and the best sound I've experienced thus far) includes a pair of JVC HA-S500 headphones. These sound phenomenal to me. 

So far, my favorite iem's have been a pair of Brainwavz M5's that were comfortable and enjoyable to listen to, but unfortunately I lost them. 

I'm strongly considering ordering another pair of Branwavz M5's, however I'm considering any iem under $90. 

Something S500-like - could look at the FXD80 (the crispness seems to be a house-sound of sorts with JVC). Not as warm but still rather similar, at least crispness-wise. Otherwise personally find the M2s to do alot of what the M5s do sig-wise with more gusto, although I've also heard that they've changed up the sound of the M5 from when I heard them so do take with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back