Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3,991 of 5,364
Quote:
Purely in terms of sound quality, probably not. Take my words with a grain of salt because I haven't heard the UE 900s but the rule of diminishing returns is likely in play here, e.g. the farther you go up in the IEM world, the less pronounced the differences are.

From what I've read, the UE 900 sounds similar to a TF10 with a better midrange but not much better sound quality. Is the UE 900 better? From what I've read, yeah, but $200 better? Probably not.

Interesting, the ue900 seem to be loved by many those who love them. I plan on getting them but who knows...

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #3,992 of 5,364
Quote:
For a-jays it was the body that was hindering. I tried on the se215 before but not long enough to know whether it hurts after wearing sometime. 

Whatever edges on the shells are tapered down enough that physical, scrapping discomfort shouldn't be as significant as a problem. But you should definitely try them again in order to make sure for yourself before biting the bullet.

Quote:
Hello,

I want to buy the earphones In Ear who have the punchy bass, deep and extended. The Mid and treble should not be annoying.
(my mp3 player is Creative Zen  http://imago.techtop.it/d/2665-1/071204-Creative-Zen.jpg

I think that the JVC HA-FX1X are good, or the Sennheiser CX 300 II.

What product do you recommend?

(I'm sorry I opened a new thread, I did not know it was forbidden. http://www.head-fi.org/t/661219/in-ear-what-do-you-recommend-with-puncy-bass-cost-less-than-50 )

As mentioned on the old thread, recs would go out for the E10, MH1C, the FX1X is not terrible as well. And no, you aren't limited to these choices, just giving out some suggestions.

Quote:
I know, I guess I just figured it didn't matter so much when I was spending £20 on headphones. 

What do you think of the e10s? I've been looking at the e30s and I've heard mixed things about comfort, isolation and microphonics when worn straight down. From what I understand the E10s are warmer/punchier/brighter than the more analytical e30s; more a different kind of sound rather than a worse one, but with a more accepting cable down position? Also curious on your opinion on the Brainwavz m2.

I may be being silly but I feel like I might be missing out on something better when the e10s/e30s come in £20/£15 under budget (can't believe I'm complaining about saving money haha).

The M2s are much thicker and lush, with amply warmth and mid-bass. Much more different than either. The E10s are cooler in tone to me as well as being much more energetic (had assumed you wanted more balance so didn't mention them). 

Tiers in terms of pricing is pretty much non-existent to a certain extend. Pay whatever you want (well not literally) for whatever you find to suit your needs and taste the best. 

Quote:
Punchy bass + great instrument separation, anyone?

Budget? Preferences in terms of build, isolation, comfort (if these are factors to be considered at all)? IEMs with these attributes are far and in between, so you need some criteria at the very least unless you're just wanting an arbitrary list.

Quote:
does anyone know if shure or westone is gonna release any new headphone to replace their 535 or 4r this year as both of the headphones have been out for almost three years. I'm thinking to buy one of the headphone but if they are gonna release a new one i would like to wait instead. thanks

We would not be privy to industry timemaps or release dates. Most likely they won't be doing so anytime this year as release season had pasted a while back though.

Not to mention even if they did decide to release anything new, it wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade or better sounding. 

Quote:
Hello again

I think my original post (#3930) might have got swallowed up by the number of other replies in this thread. I just wanted to add some further info to what I said before but I'm still interested in peoples opinions. I've decided not to look at the akg 550/551's they're a bit too much for me to justify I think. I've also now had the chance to briefly test out the M50's and the DT 770's although I'm yet to try the COP's. They're all around the same price so that's no longer useful to help me decide between them.

Again many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hello Head Fi,

I don't usually like signing up just to post 'help me' threads so forgive me for this but reading through this thread has been very useful and I wanted to ask for a few opinions.

I'm after a decent set of over-ear closed headphones and so far have been looking at the following:

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Audio Technica ATH M50
AKG 550/551

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere near me where I can try these out myself so just after a few opinions from anyone who might have tried 2 or all 3 of them.

I'm from the UK so I'm not sure how the prices compare elsewhere but the 551's are the most expensive here and would probably a little over my budget (approx equivalent to $290 according to google so I'll say my budget is $240). The M50's seem like a great all rounder for a low price and the COP's seem to divide opinions from what I've read, however I like how sturdy they look to be compared to the M50's.

As for usage, I will mainly be using them for travelling (I don't mind big headphones since a lot of my travelling is on buses/trains/plains i.e. sat still so not too bothered about them being large) or when I cant have music playing out loud (late at night, public places, etc). I'm looking for something that will work well without a portable amplifier as opposed to simply 'work without but could do with one' as I only intend to use them with an ipod/smartphone.

Without being too broad I listen to a lot of different types of music but will be predominantly things like reggae, jazz, dub, ska, punk, house, drum and bass and other electronic. For that reason I would quite like something that would be capable of strong bass but whilst remaining clear (sorry if this isn't a very good description, I'm no audiophile). My main concern would be that I would find the bass a bit underwhelming as I quite like to really feel the music when I'm listening to dub for example, I guess I'm a bit of a basshead in that regard.

I feel like I'm leaning towards the COP's as I think for me the variable bass ports would actually be useful rather than a gimmick but if there are any other headphones that I should also consider (heard recommendations of the Beyer DT 770's maybe? what's good about them compared to the others?) I'd like to hear about them. Before I buy I'll try and have a look further afield to try some out but it seems like everywhere only wants to stock Sennheiser's near me so I can't test the ones I've been looking at easily. Sorry for the length of this post I've tried to think of everything I can to help describe what I'm after which is feedback and opinions on the above headphones as well as any others that I should consider.

Thanks for your time :)

Nope, you had just posted right after my multi-quote replies just as it had started a new page. So I didn't notice :p

Strong bass, clarity - while neither the Beyers mentioned would have a handle on clarity, the AKGs aren't very bass-heavy as well. In this case would just look further at the ATs or the HP700s if they're available.

Quote:
Hello all!

I recently got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X which I absolutely love. First pair of "real headphones" that I own. Now I was not aware of how big these headphones are. Totally caught me off guard haha. Right now, I use them at home and then take them to work and bring em back home, etc I know in the future, I don't want to keep bringing them back and forth and will most likely have them be my home pair. So what I am looking for is a more portable pair of headphones or even IEMs. I tend to stay away from IEMs due to the fact that I have small ear holes and that every pair of ear buds have fallen out of my ear at the slightest movement but that could also be because I have always used cheap ones. So while my preference is headphones, I am open to IEMs.

I plan to use these at work so I would like for them to be closed. These will also be my travel pair in which I will use them on vacation, long trips, around town, etc. I really enjoy the A900X so a similar sounding pair would be great. Budget is around $200.  I was thinking of just getting the ATH-M50 but also have heard good things about Ultrasone HFI-580, Ultrasone HFI-780, M-Audio Q40, ATH-WS55, Shure 840, and Soundmagic HP100. I tend to listen to a bit of everything (jazz-hop, hip-hop, 80s, KPop, electronica).

Thanks!

A900X-like, <$200 - you really won't have much luck as nothing really replicates that sort of presentation and mid-forwardness at the same time. The M50s are just as combersome if you find the A900Xs to be not too portable, not to mention the heavy contrast in sig change (V-shaped, very sparkly and punchy, mids are pushed back and nowhere as lush). The Ultrasones are even more skewed, Q40s retain warmth but are simply far too bass-excessive to be compared with the A900X. The SRH840s and HP100s might fit though - the former being slightly more balanced but retains those soft, rounded notes and tonality in a sense. 

Quote:
Hello, i'm looking for some in-ear earbuds/headphones (whatever you want to call them) that i will be using with my iPhone, so a remote with a microphone is a big plus,
I'll be using it mainly for rock music and some electronic. my budget is about 100$ and i would rather get them off ebay or other sites with international shipping

Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences/sig preferences, preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be immensely more helpful.

To re-quote an old post of mine - 

Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.

Quote:
Is there really that much of a difference between the tf10s and the UE900s? I could get TF10s and a digizoid for $100 under the price of 1 pair of UR900s.

Quote:
Nope, not a big difference.

Quote:
Purely in terms of sound quality, probably not. Take my words with a grain of salt because I haven't heard the UE 900s but the rule of diminishing returns is likely in play here, e.g. the farther you go up in the IEM world, the less pronounced the differences are.

From what I've read, the UE 900 sounds similar to a TF10 with a better midrange but not much better sound quality. Is the UE 900 better? From what I've read, yeah, but $200 better? Probably not.

Value is subjective, but this gives no excuse to undermine or obfuscate differences/improvements in terms of technicalities between either IEM. They are noticeable less V-shaped, and while the TF10 just meanders in terms of dynamics these are that much of an improvement proficiency-wise. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,993 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks Farcry. Yes, of course eBay is an option too. In term of bass quantity vs quality. Is feeling the deep sub bass more of a quantity or quality (I've seen the quantity/quality issue on forums, but not sure how it is defined)? That bass "feel" is what I like, again not so much that it masks or impacts the vocals.

I would concur with heem1911 on the GR07 bass edition. Moreover its high impedance (as rated) and low sensitivity would ensure that would be ok from your computer.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3,994 of 5,364
Finished previous replies - post #3994

Quote:
Alright here we go....

My Budget is under $200
My music listening goes something like this: 40% R&B, 30% Hip Hop, 30% Rock/Folk/Alternative/other.
I like bass, but not at all at the expense of being able to hear the rest of the music and vocal (I am assuming my main interest is clean rich mids, I enjoy the vocals and the music nothing is more important than the other I just want it to all sound great). BUT if I can get that and some good sub-bass (assuming sub-bass is the correct term for the deep rumble bass you feel vs punchy snare drum type bass) then that would be the ideal situation for me.
removable cable is a plus but not a must, iPhone controls a plus not a must

Source: Iphone4, computer. No amp (but not opposed to a portable amp at some point).

I'm really leaning toward Shure se215, and even se215 limited edition which according to reviews has more bass. I'm really close to pulling trigger on theses so if anyone can compare differences let me know!

Also considering:
TDK BA200
Klipsch x10

Any input on any of these or other suggestions that fit me is appreciated!
Also any suggestions on where to buy online in USA, besides amazon?? Thanks!

While the SE215s definitely retain thickness of note within the mids, presence-wise they are laid-back enough to the point where clean or vocal-centric is rather out of the equation. Not to mention the majority of the bass is situated in the mid-bass. X10s aren't also on par with the BA200s extension wise although both are rather nice for mids and the fact that the Klipsch has the mic/remote function.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #3,995 of 5,364
What is the improvement for the M-80? My maximun budget is 250$ and now i'm leaning to the M-100, but some said they have too much bass, which is bad for pop/ ballad music. I listen to all kind of music, mostly pop/ ballad but there are some dance/ electronic to pump up the mood. I'd the bass has good quantity and quality, the mid is as good as possible and treb just not too harsh.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3,996 of 5,364
Hello everyone, im new here and i need some help on which in-ear headphones i should buy.

I've owned the Brainwavz M2 for 2 years, but a couple of months ago they broke down (didn't survive the washing machine :frowning2:).
They were pretty good, build quality was exellent, support from MP4 Nation was good (one earphone died after a while, probably a broken cable), but i wan't something different to replace them.
I bought the Denon AH-C101 this December (they are [size=small][/size]80,- atm) but i really hated them.
The build quality was not that good, sound was pretty horrible to my taste (compared to the Brainwavz M2 and HM3, which i also own), the tips that came with them hurt my ears so i used the tips from my old Brainwavz M2.
After about 2-3 months they broke and i got a new pair, which i am trying to sell to get money to buy other headphones.

Okay, so the are the requirements for my new headphones are:

- Not too expensive, i don't want to pay more than [size=small]€70,- (about [/size][size=small] £[/size][size=small]60/$90), including shipping costs and other costs (I live in the Netherlands, it's okay if I need to order them from another country and/or pay with Paypal/creditcard).[/size]
[size=x-small]- Good bass but also as much detail as possible. [/size][size=small]I mostly listen to (Liquid) Drum and Bass, Dubstep and Trap, but i also listen to Future Garage, EDM, Jungle, Alternative Rock, Harddance, Dub and some other genres.[/size]
[size=small]- Good build quality, as good or better as the Brainwavz M2.[/size]
[size=small]- A good selection of ear-tips and other accessoires like an ear-hook (for when i'm at the gym) and a carrying pouch/shell.[/size]
[size=x-small]- Water resistant (optional).[/size]

[size=x-small]I've already done some research myself and i've found the Dunu Hephaes to be pretty interesting, would you guys recommend them to me or should i buy a different pair of headphones?[/size]

[size=x-small]I hope you guys can help me out, thanks in advance. [/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #3,998 of 5,364
First off, I'd like to thank you, TwinQy, for all your help. I've done an extensive amount of research. I have been reading all day and night when I can about everything "audio/headphone". I think I may have learned enough to better describe what In looking for. Here goes nothing.

Budget: $100 ~ $225. I'm willing to spend more if it is worth it.
Preference: Sound quality above all else.
Environment: Mostly outdoor, so I need good isolation.
Sound Signature: More neutral, but a bit analytical.
Driver: I really want to try balanced armatures for their accuracy.
Treble/Highs: Clean and Clear. 
Mids: Vocals and Instruments are a must for Metal/Trance. Clear
           with good separation.
Bass/Lows: Quality over quantity. I'm a bass lover. I enjoy a 
                       deep low end, but not so much that it overpowers 
                       the rest of the music. It needs to be clean without 
                       any distortion.
Amps: Maybe? I've never used one and would prefer not to due  
             to my constant need to be on the go. 
Misc: I do skate (inline) a lot. Maybe something that stays in the 
           ear well.
Library: 40% Trance
              18% Metal/Rock
              12% Video Game Music
              20% Non-Trance Electronic Music
              10% Other
Output: Samsung Galaxy S3 (mostly), TV & Laptop, PC

If there's anything that I've missed or that needs a clearer description, just let me know. I'm open to any and all opinions. I appreciate all the help. Thanks. :D

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3,999 of 5,364
Quote:
for a mostly treble and very crisp sound, but a very well rounded  signature what would be better: B and W C5 or Phonak PFE 122

The C5s are very smooth and laid back in the treble, some might say recessed, while the PFE122s would be the ones that aim for crispiness and clarity, with some of the best treble quantity I've yet to hear, while still retaining smoothness. If these are the only two options, you can see which one I've got my vote on.

Quote:
Hello everyone, im new here and i need some help on which in-ear headphones i should buy.

I've owned the Brainwavz M2 for 2 years, but a couple of months ago they broke down (didn't survive the washing machine :frowning2:).
They were pretty good, build quality was exellent, support from MP4 Nation was good (one earphone died after a while, probably a broken cable), but i wan't something different to replace them.
I bought the Denon AH-C101 this December (they are [size=small][/size]80,- atm) but i really hated them.
The build quality was not that good, sound was pretty horrible to my taste (compared to the Brainwavz M2 and HM3, which i also own), the tips that came with them hurt my ears so i used the tips from my old Brainwavz M2.
After about 2-3 months they broke and i got a new pair, which i am trying to sell to get money to buy other headphones.

Okay, so the are the requirements for my new headphones are:

- Not too expensive, i don't want to pay more than [size=small]€70,- (about [/size][size=small] £[/size][size=small]60/$90), including shipping costs and other costs (I live in the Netherlands, it's okay if I need to order them from another country and/or pay with Paypal/creditcard).[/size]
[size=x-small]- Good bass but also as much detail as possible. [/size][size=small]I mostly listen to (Liquid) Drum and Bass, Dubstep and Trap, but i also listen to Future Garage, EDM, Jungle, Alternative Rock, Harddance, Dub and some other genres.[/size]
[size=small]- Good build quality, as good or better as the Brainwavz M2.[/size]
[size=small]- A good selection of ear-tips and other accessoires like an ear-hook (for when i'm at the gym) and a carrying pouch/shell.[/size]
[size=x-small]- Water resistant (optional).[/size]

[size=x-small]I've already done some research myself and i've found the Dunu Hephaes to be pretty interesting, would you guys recommend them to me or should i buy a different pair of headphones?[/size]

[size=x-small]I hope you guys can help me out, thanks in advance. [/size]

Good build, <90, good bass, detailing, ear-tips - Personally found the Craters to be a bit better detailed and less excessive than the Hephaes, although they do have vents so if isolation is a problem...The pouch and tip selection on both are fairly nice as well (you can get cheap Sony Hybrid clone tips on ebay which basically is what Dunu includes). Not as thick of note and a bit more treble sparkle than the Brainwavz (the Craters that is). Though I don't really find them to be necessarily more proficient than the M2s. 

Quote:
What is the improvement for the M-80? My maximun budget is 250$ and now i'm leaning to the M-100, but some said they have too much bass, which is bad for pop/ ballad music. I listen to all kind of music, mostly pop/ ballad but there are some dance/ electronic to pump up the mood. I'd the bass has good quantity and quality, the mid is as good as possible and treb just not too harsh.

Mids are nice, smooth, a bit of grain on the upper mids, but otherwise tonality around the mids is similar to the M-80s if you look at it standalone. Though the rest of the spectrum does bring out the V-shape as the impressions would have you think. Bass is a bit slow and excessive, otherwise fun though. Seems like your sig preferences is more tuned towards to the M-80s though.

Quote:
First off, I'd like to thank you, TwinQy, for all your help. I've done an extensive amount of research. I have been reading all day and night when I can about everything "audio/headphone". I think I may have learned enough to better describe what In looking for. Here goes nothing.

Budget: $100 ~ $225. I'm willing to spend more if it is worth it.
Preference: Sound quality above all else.
Environment: Mostly outdoor, so I need good isolation.
Sound Signature: More neutral, but a bit analytical.
Driver: I really want to try balanced armatures for their accuracy.
Treble/Highs: Clean and Clear. 
Mids: Vocals and Instruments are a must for Metal/Trance. Clear
           with good separation.
Bass/Lows: Quality over quantity. I'm a bass lover. I enjoy a 
                       deep low end, but not so much that it overpowers 
                       the rest of the music. It needs to be clean without 
                       any distortion.
Amps: Maybe? I've never used one and would prefer not to due  
             to my constant need to be on the go. 
Misc: I do skate (inline) a lot. Maybe something that stays in the 
           ear well.
Library: 40% Trance
              18% Metal/Rock
              12% Video Game Music
              20% Non-Trance Electronic Music
              10% Other
Output: Samsung Galaxy S3 (mostly), TV & Laptop, PC

If there's anything that I've missed or that needs a clearer description, just let me know. I'm open to any and all opinions. I appreciate all the help. Thanks. :D

$100-225, good isolation, analytical, clarity and cleanliness - Definitely look at the PFE012/122 or the RE272 (not BA but their characteristics definitely makes this a competitor) if you are open to the fact that they won't have any warranty as they've been discontinued/section shut off. Not to mention the GR01, R-50, and the slough of other TWFKs. More random suggestions (if you want some more in depth comparisons, feel free to ask) would be the SE425 and the HF5/ER4P.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,001 of 5,364
Do you want in ear, over ear or on ear? For over ear I would suggest Creative Aurvana Live, they are a denon clone and high regarded.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B000W6Y0JY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,002 of 5,364
Hi guys,

What would you recommend between the Audio Technica ATH-CKN70 and the CKS99? I currently own the CKM99 and love them but would like to try something new that sounds as good or better. A good amount of bass is fairly important to me but mediums & highs have to sound crisp as well. Budget isn't an issue but they're both under the $100 mark (in Japan where I'm going next week on vacation).

I'm using a Cowon J3.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,003 of 5,364
Thanks for additional info TwinQY....but I wasn't clear on which you would recommend for me based on what I am looking for.  Also thanks to heem1911 and FarCry, the GR07 bass edition are now in the mix! How would you rate those compared to the one you would most recommend of those I originally listed?

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #4,004 of 5,364
Finished replies here - post #4001

Quote:
Hi guys,

What would you recommend between the Audio Technica ATH-CKN70 and the CKS99? I currently own the CKM99 and love them but would like to try something new that sounds as good or better. A good amount of bass is fairly important to me but mediums & highs have to sound crisp as well. Budget isn't an issue but they're both under the $100 mark (in Japan where I'm going next week on vacation).

I'm using a Cowon J3.

Thanks!

Both are fairly sparkly but the 99s lean more towards harshness (yes, even more so than the CKN70s). Since you have the CKM99 as a reference point it wouldn't be as bad but just keeping that in mind...

The 70s aim for lushness with the lower mids at times so if you want a thinner note presentation the CKS99s are the key. But in terms of detailing and sheer coherency and proficiency the CKN70s take the cake.

Quote:
I have 50 euros and want to buy in earphones, i'm located in germany. All i can say is that i don't have a clue about that stuff and that i listen to metal music ^^ thanks

Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences/sig preferences, preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be immensely more helpful.

To re-quote an old post of mine - 
Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.

Quote:
Thanks for additional info TwinQY....but I wasn't clear on which you would recommend for me based on what I am looking for.  Also thanks to heem1911 and FarCry, the GR07 bass edition are now in the mix! How would you rate those compared to the one you would most recommend of those I originally listed?

Ah, sorry about that. My push was for the BA200s but didn't realize you were open to other stuff. Have not heard the BEs, sorry.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #4,005 of 5,364
Quote:
Whatever edges on the shells are tapered down enough that physical, scrapping discomfort shouldn't be as significant as a problem. But you should definitely try them again in order to make sure for yourself before biting the bullet.

Thanks for the advice. I bite the bullet and got myself a se215 Special edition and didnt regret it. It sure sound better then my a-jays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back