Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,961 of 5,364
I'm looking to upgrade from my vsonic gr07 be's.  I love the way they sound but just want something similar but better .  I'm looking to spend up to $500.  I have a Cowon J3 if that helps.  I listen to 85% hip-hop, with a little r&b, jazz and reggae mixed in.  I love good bass also.  I've been looking at the UE900, 1964Ears-Q and Westone 4R's.  Anyone know if any of these might fit the bill or any other recommendations?  thanks

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,962 of 5,364

Sound preferences? Genres are helpful but we all enjoy different presentations of such. Also stating preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, and build, would be immensely helpful as well.

I dont really have a preference on the build,doesn't really matter to me as long as it holds up to a daily of use. I would like it to be very comfortable,but if it comes to sound over comfort,thats acceptable. (which i'm currently using for my jazz because i have no IEMs T-T) As for isolation,i would like good isolation as ill be walking around in Walmart and places like that with them,mostly i'll be using them for home use though. And for sound preference,i would like good highs for the trumpet,but not overwhelming and fatiguing. I want good bass thats balanced,but packs a punch when needed. So basically i want them to be smooth and balanced,but can pack a good punch when needed.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3,963 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade from my vsonic gr07 be's.  I love the way they sound but just want something similar but better .  I'm looking to spend up to $500.  I have a Cowon J3 if that helps.  I listen to 85% hip-hop, with a little r&b, jazz and reggae mixed in.  I love good bass also.  I've been looking at the UE900, 1964Ears-Q and Westone 4R's.  Anyone know if any of these might fit the bill or any other recommendations?  thanks

Not familiar with the BEs although I'd imagine them to be a more textured, impactful, regular BE much like the GR02 BEs were. Otherwise the W4s do retain some similarities as with the VSonics, albeit less bright. With the BEs it'd be even more of a crapshoot comparison. UE900s are more linear and less upper-mids-y especially compared to the GR07s. The Quads from auditioning the demo pairs might actually be more to your tastes. Again, all assuming the BEs to be what I mentioned above.

Sound preferences? Genres are helpful but we all enjoy different presentations of such. Also stating preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, and build, would be immensely helpful as well.

I dont really have a preference on the build,doesn't really matter to me as long as it holds up to a daily of use. I would like it to be very comfortable,but if it comes to sound over comfort,thats acceptable. (which i'm currently using for my jazz because i have no IEMs T-T) As for isolation,i would like good isolation as ill be walking around in Walmart and places like that with them,mostly i'll be using them for home use though. And for sound preference,i would like good highs for the trumpet,but not overwhelming and fatiguing. I want good bass thats balanced,but packs a punch when needed. So basically i want them to be smooth and balanced,but can pack a good punch when needed.

Good treble, non fatiguing, balance - does rather sound like the UE900s as they are sparkly while remaining smooth and never excessive. Trumpets lie a bit closer to the upper mids, so might be a problem as they are recessed though. Otherwise, you could even go lower in terms of budget as the balance you're describing seems eerily similar to the GR07s mentioned above.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3,965 of 5,364
Thanks again, really considering the A161p, especially with that additional push you gave for them. Now my only other concern is after some more reading I was brought back over to the SE215s, and apparently they boast a detachable cable, which is a great safeguard for the cursed cable breaking issues with IEMs. They are slightly more expensive as well, but would they be considered better than the A161ps for any reason beyond that cable? I am going to prefer that SQ over the cable, because regardless I can be very careful with it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3,966 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks again, really considering the A161p, especially with that additional push you gave for them. Now my only other concern is after some more reading I was brought back over to the SE215s, and apparently they boast a detachable cable, which is a great safeguard for the cursed cable breaking issues with IEMs. They are slightly more expensive as well, but would they be considered better than the A161ps for any reason beyond that cable? I am going to prefer that SQ over the cable, because regardless I can be very careful with it.

Ah, but the SE215s have also experience quite a bit of bad rap due to the detachable cables being defective at times. Not to mention the mechanism is a bit shifty. I mentioned this in another part of the multi-quote reply last time, I think.

Also the A161p cables are quite a bitmore supple in my hands. 

Quote:
How does the sound signature of the westone 3 compare to the westone 4? And can these headphones beat the a full size headphone such as the he-400 in terms of detail and mids?

W4s are much warmer and less treble happy. Smaller but more focused stage size and better separation/imaging although the UEs beat them handily in this area. Both Westones are mid-bass oriented but the W4s are less excessive. The extra warmth from the lower mids though take away from part of the clarity and transparency the W3s had.

Not sure how mids would be referenced there, but detailing - people often tout IEMs to have more precise and forward resolution due to the presentation. Again very subject to analysis/criticisms due to the massively different paradigms.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,967 of 5,364
Quote:
Ah, but the SE215s have also experience quite a bit of bad rap due to the detachable cables being defective at times. Not to mention the mechanism is a bit shifty. I mentioned this in another part of the multi-quote reply last time, I think.

Also the A161p cables are quite a bitmore supple in my hands. 

W4s are much warmer and less treble happy. Smaller but more focused stage size and better separation/imaging although the UEs beat them handily in this area. Both Westones are mid-bass oriented but the W4s are less excessive. The extra warmth from the lower mids though take away from part of the clarity and transparency the W3s had.

Not sure how mids would be referenced there, but detailing - people often tout IEMs to have more precise and forward resolution due to the presentation. Again very subject to analysis/criticisms due to the massively different paradigms.

Cool thanks, not many ppl answer in this thread compared to the full size version.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3,968 of 5,364
Quote:
Cool thanks, not many ppl answer in this thread compared to the full size version.

Yep people come and go so fast that somehow I've been stuck here the last 6 months/200 pages. Ranted about this previously, although I was having a bad day and was overdramatic about the whole thing.

Usually the regulars like to do their own thing and not mind much about the rec threads. Adding in the clutter on the subforums which make it so very hard to navigate....

^^ One person piping in does mean that people lose out on a plethora of various opinions. People should never just take the word of one person for granted. On the Full-Sized thread, it's great - people of all sizes and shapes come in to offer their knowledge and you usually get longer discussions in regards to advice. Here that's basically non-existent.

And I hardly see any people being left out, bar a few exceptions, and they would just bump their unread post anyways so people still see to it in the end. Here if I happen to leave for a few days/a month like last time, people do pick up the slack (and quite admirably!) but the sheer amount of unanswered questions was startling. I'm still in shock against the 4x 60-reply posts that I had to do after a month (well the ones I didn't post yet due to...technical problems). 

It's a shame because I've always felt the portable forums to be a much more close-knit association of odd-balls, just a much closer community in general. So we don't get as much traffic as we would on the full-sized forums, but I find the new threads and discoveries (even the FOTMs) to be much more exciting and intensive. Whenever I go on the subforums, I find it genuinely hard to find the stuff I really want to read, the new products I really want to check out, because people keep on adding new threads asking for suggestions without looking at the stickies, without using the proper references, and without using this thread.

Heck, sometimes I even find that the number of people responding is far greater than one would expect, and yet none of them will even take a second to glance at this thread, or even a second to help out. I'm willing to bet that a significant majority of people on the forums are simply not aware of this thread's existence.

Now, we don't expect altruism all the time on a public forum. That would be imprudent and presumptuous. People lead lives outside of the Internet, and sometimes they just want to indulge. But I do know for a fact that many will want to return the favour for all the information and discussion blossoming on the forum. The fact that a lack of awareness, and a lack of a proper, systematic system of handling with help, greatly hinders the usefulness of this thread.

Perhaps I'm being too pragmatic. Perhaps I've been stuck on those dusty bug-reports, mailing lists, and help forums for way too long. Perhaps this just isn't the proper place to do this sort of thing. But I know that one thing I've retained from my experiences outside of Head-Fi is the the rewarding experience of being able to help people everyday, through a properly designed and effective support system. Is that simply too much to ask? Should it be such a hard thing to simply help your community out?

I have to stress that I'm not telling everyone to drop what they're doing and feel guilty about something they shouldn't. There's plenty of people on this forum. No one person should be forced to do something they feel is not rewarding or compensates their time. A collective effort that changes from time to time, with different people chiming in around the clock, is much simpler than it seems. People just have to be AWARE. And this is one thread that people have not been very much aware of.

I help because I dislike clutter. Because I dislike unanswered questions. Because I dislike the thought of a community that doesn't give back (well on this front). The Multi-IEM review (both ljokerl and ClieOSs), the Multi-CIEM comparison, the 50 Headphones thread, MLE's Guide to Headphone Gaming, the various Amp/DAC comparison thread, etc, etc, are hallmarks, far and beyond most of what you might encounter on a typical forum. And those are individuals going out of their way to do it, doing it quite well, to say the least. And the collective that gathers within those threads do just as well to help out those in need. There is an mind-boggling amount of help offered, so I don't see why we can't improve the situation over here.

Some might call it wasted time, wasted effort, as the other multi-IEM threads do just the same job. But those are only limited to the items reviewed there. It would count out the various IEMs and headphones new to the scene, worth every bit of a look as the other options. On here, we can easily get enough people with differing experiences and expertise. 

It can't be perfect. Not all answers will be answered. People might even lose interest after a day or two. But as long as there's an ongoing movement, an ongoing push for contribution, for advice, I don't see why we can't make this work better. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #3,973 of 5,364
Quote:
Genres are helpful but stating sound/sig preferences, preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, and build, would be immensely more helpful.

I prefer bass. Comfort is really important for me. The a-jays i had felt quite uncomfortable after sometime seem to be too large for me. Usually listen to Classical, hip-hop, techno, R&B and pop music. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #3,974 of 5,364
Quote:
I prefer bass. Comfort is really important for me. The a-jays i had felt quite uncomfortable after sometime seem to be too large for me. Usually listen to Classical, hip-hop, techno, R&B and pop music. 

Then would go for the SE215s sound wise for that glorious mid-bass texture. Though the nozzle and insertion might not pan out since you mind size and all that. Was it the IEM's body that you minded or the nozzle itself?

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #3,975 of 5,364
Quote:
Then would go for the SE215s sound wise for that glorious mid-bass texture. Though the nozzle and insertion might not pan out since you mind size and all that. Was it the IEM's body that you minded or the nozzle itself?

For a-jays it was the body that was hindering. I tried on the se215 before but not long enough to know whether it hurts after wearing sometime. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back