Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3,947 of 5,364
Quote:

Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences would be even more so as it'd give us a much better reference point from where we can specify recommendations.

Assuming you want a more bassy AD700 from that statement though, could look at the E30s although we still would not have a good reference point without knowing sound preferences. These are over-ear so cabling is not very noise-conductive

I'm finding it a bit difficult to describe it because I don't really know what I want. I've usually just picked the best in class all rounder for my specific price point (which has always been lower). I suppose I just want a balanced, detailed but non-fatiguing sound? I can't stand sound which is bloated or muddy, I equally don't want something too harsh either as I think it will become draining to listen to over time (I can use them for hours at a time). I'll be using my phone without an amp and it does have an electronic EQ if that's helpful. You were essentially right that I wanted a slightly more bassy AD700 (I use these primarily for gaming and less music. Music I use bookshelf speakers at home, diamond 9.1s driven by my NAD amp mentioned earlier).

I require something which is is non-fatiguing, has reasonable microphonics/isolation and can be worn cable down with reasonable comfort (I don't realise they're in my ears). I'm not sure if this is too much to ask for £50...

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,948 of 5,364
Are Logitech 500 worth $25 ???

i have the KOSS KDX200... love them.

would the 500s be an upgrade ?

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #3,949 of 5,364
Hola to the Head-fi community,

I have been infrequently reading the forums over time for years, over the past few days and due to issues with a set of IEM's I have spent many hours reading reviews and personal opinions which has been fascinating and as we all know the subjective opinions and preferences for each of us make for interesting debates. Much like the music we listen to discussions on audio as we all have our own journey.

A little background on myself I have over the years owned many headphones from those ghastly orange defacto ones that came with Walkmans in the 80's (not giving away my age! :wink: right up to today thinking about it that's nearly 30 years..........

Now after reading and re:reading all the information provided by the community I confess I am a just a little more indecisive than ever as is the case knowledge is power but too much information generally leads to confusion!

I am as always it seems (I realise now I could easily given funds be a headphone junkie) on the look out for some more always more maybe its human nature maybe it's a quest for the sweet spot we all look for in our sonic experience.

Currently I am on the look out for some IEM's most the people I know (except the live performers) lean towards full sized so are rather dismissive about some of the smaller marvels which exist in the world today so I am seeking help from community.

Now seeking some advice I have for the past 2 years been using some Shure SE215's until the notorious cable connectivity issue which with some fantastic discussions found here, on exactly what the problem is and more importantly solutions.   

I mostly like the 215's SQ and Signature but at times given the eclectic music I listen too I know only to well the limitations of the phones, I have various sets of IEM's over the years Sony MDR EX30, EX90, Shure E3c, Sennheiser IE8 and Bose to name a few.

As mentioned previously with help from community I have resolved the problem with the 215's for the time being but given how much they have been used and once I started reading and looking i was hooked once again!

In my desperation of my failing 215's I started looking and bought a pair of Shure 315's on the spare of the moment I will get them soon probably tomorrow but still my mind is turning and thinking. 

Would I be better with some 425's? right now I cannot justify expenditure of several hundred pounds on some high end models as I am in the UK and prices here are mostly pretty high.

Here is a list of music currently playlisting (it changes often) to give you all some idea, I am no bass head but prefer neutrality I don't want it to sound clinical as little coldness as possible but then again I don't want them to sound overly warm. 

Describing audio is one of life's wonders .... Discussions on psychoacoustics are all goo for me <g>

[size=1.6em]  [/size]

Glen Hansard, Bonobo, David Bowie (70's), Rufus Wainwright, Gotan Project, Calexico, God is an Astronaut, Mogwai, Elliott Smith, Explosions in the Sky, Stevie Wonder, Giraffes? Giraffes! & Swans.

Any comments, discussions, rants or recommendations would be greatly appreciated I'm not sold on Shure's but i have a chance to get some at pretty reasonable prices so any other flavours, makes and all is fine by me. 

Antonio

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3,951 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you, TwinQY for the suggestions, I know you didn't have too much to work with but I guess I have to start somewhere.

I took a look through the pairs you've mentioned and the ones that popped out to me the most were the A161Ps

For eventful music like metal the best thing I could ask for is great detail in the sound (Nuances brought to the front) with a great bassline to boot without mudding it all together in a proverbial clump of noise (if that makes any sense) The a900s tend to do that for me, but just a little bit lacking in terms of bass (Which I use the EQ to gain on to solve)

Also after doing some more research on the portable amps I discovered the Fiio e17 which attracted my attention, and will likely be picking up one when I see a decent price for it.

Also just to top it all off some more context:

A good portion of my use will be in a relatively quiet office, so I'm not too worried about all those noise isolating features too much, but I do have to be sure that others in a close vicinity cannot hear what I'm listening to, which I can only term as the opposite, I mean it is perfect to be enveloped, but from my experience wearing IEMs in the past (Not even good ones) they tend to block out a good portion of sound just by existing, but not necessarily keep the sound in so risks disturbing others.

Hope this helps a bit more, and thanks!

I've usually not have any problems with IEMs leaking sound unless they had been vented or the user was listening at insanely loud (i.e. 100% volume on their DAP with a 16ohm/106dB/W IEM) levels. So this is unusual. The A161p are BAs anyways, so not at all vented, completely sealed chamber, only way these will begin to leak is through the aftermentioned ear-imploding loudness.

Again a pull for the MEElectronics as they have nice mid-bass to top everything off, as well as the GR07s if the budget can be stretched. Soundstage on both aren't very congested, with lateral size going to the VSonics.

Quote:
Is there a significant difference between the gr02 and gr02 BE?

More bass texture/impact on the BEs. That's about it. They've updated the housing on both.

Quote:
Thinking of replacing my old A-jays 3. Have narrow it down to shure se215 or westone um1 or about $100 range. I listen to a wide range of music.

Genres are helpful but stating sound/sig preferences, preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, and build, would be immensely more helpful.

Quote:
ok i like pop/rock/folk rock like paul simon, comfort isn't too important(i only listen up to 40 mins on the bus), isolation isn't too important as the bus i get is very quiet.

i also like a wide soundstage 

Wide stage, pop/rock (although a sound sig/FR balance would be more helpful if stated - you can read a couple of posts above on my spiel regarding sound preferences) - out of the three it'd probably go to the PFE112 (bonus is that they are comfy) as they are rather shallow fit and smooth enough while retaining linearity and not be overly warm. If you do happen to like a warm presentation though with ample staging would look at the XBA-3 instead. Since I'm not sure of your preferred FR balance, they'd be rather close competitively.

Also one to keep in mind is that the PFEs lack warranty due to their earphone section closing down. Another plus is that the timbre isn't as metallic as on the Sonys, so folk rock might benefit more.

Quote:
I'm finding it a bit difficult to describe it because I don't really know what I want. I've usually just picked the best in class all rounder for my specific price point (which has always been lower). I suppose I just want a balanced, detailed but non-fatiguing sound? I can't stand sound which is bloated or muddy, I equally don't want something too harsh either as I think it will become draining to listen to over time (I can use them for hours at a time). I'll be using my phone without an amp and it does have an electronic EQ if that's helpful. You were essentially right that I wanted a slightly more bassy AD700 (I use these primarily for gaming and less music. Music I use bookshelf speakers at home, diamond 9.1s driven by my NAD amp mentioned earlier).

I require something which is is non-fatiguing, has reasonable microphonics/isolation and can be worn cable down with reasonable comfort (I don't realise they're in my ears). I'm not sure if this is too much to ask for £50...

Problem is "best in-class" is so subject to personal taste and the ever-changing FOTM movements...

Balanced, detailed, non-fatiguing, not bloated, under 50 - got to be honest, still sounds like the E30 you're describing to me. Staging is also impressive on these, and the over-ear cable promises less microphonics. These isolate averagely as the insertion depth is rather average, but just means comfort greatly benefits.

Quote:
Are Logitech 500 worth $25 ???

i have the KOSS KDX200... love them.

would the 500s be an upgrade ?

Not sure what the reference point in terms of sig would be as I haven't heard the Koss. 

Quote:
Hola to the Head-fi community,

I have been infrequently reading the forums over time for years, over the past few days and due to issues with a set of IEM's I have spent many hours reading reviews and personal opinions which has been fascinating and as we all know the subjective opinions and preferences for each of us make for interesting debates. Much like the music we listen to discussions on audio as we all have our own journey.

A little background on myself I have over the years owned many headphones from those ghastly orange defacto ones that came with Walkmans in the 80's (not giving away my age! :wink: right up to today thinking about it that's nearly 30 years..........

Now after reading and re:reading all the information provided by the community I confess I am a just a little more indecisive than ever as is the case knowledge is power but too much information generally leads to confusion!

I am as always it seems (I realise now I could easily given funds be a headphone junkie) on the look out for some more always more maybe its human nature maybe it's a quest for the sweet spot we all look for in our sonic experience.

Currently I am on the look out for some IEM's most the people I know (except the live performers) lean towards full sized so are rather dismissive about some of the smaller marvels which exist in the world today so I am seeking help from community.

Now seeking some advice I have for the past 2 years been using some Shure SE215's until the notorious cable connectivity issue which with some fantastic discussions found here, on exactly what the problem is and more importantly solutions.   

I mostly like the 215's SQ and Signature but at times given the eclectic music I listen too I know only to well the limitations of the phones, I have various sets of IEM's in a box Sony MDR EX30, EX90, Shure E3c, Sennheiser IE8 and Bose to name a few.

As mentioned previously with help from community I have resolved the problem with the 215's for the time being but given how much they have been used and once I started reading and looking i was hooked once again!

In my desperation of my failing 215's I started looking and bought a pair of Shure 315's on the spare of the moment I will get them soon probably tomorrow but still my mind is turning and thinking. 

Would I be better with some 425's? right now I cannot justify some high end models expenditure for several hundred pounds as I am in the UK and  prices here are mostly pretty high.

Here is a list of music currently on my play lists (it changes often) to give you all some idea, I am no bass head but prefer neutrality I don't want coldness but then again I don't want them too be warm. 

Glen Hansard, Bonobo, David Bowie (70's), Rufus Wainwright, Gotan Project, Calexico, God is an Astronaut, Mogwai, Elliott Smith, Explosions in the Sky, Stevie Wonder, Giraffes? Giraffes! & Swans.

Any comments, discussions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Antonio

SE215-like - the 425s are much more neutral and balanced, with less texturing and impact but far more tightness and clarity - so in a sense they fit your description for neutrality but in a sense they don't really as well.

Otherwise I think they'd be quite suitable sound wise. The SE315s are rather dull dynamics-wise, so would keep on looking at the 425s. The cable thing is slightly sturdier due to better materials (I guess) but otherwise the mechanism is still the same and people have reported plenty of similar problems with the SE535 at the time as well (I think they've fixed the connector problem on the SE215s in one of the batches already, but you'd have to consider if it's a defect or the mechanism itself is flawed in a sense).

Quote:
Im looking for IEMs for jazz and dubstep. I can use a digizoid if needed. Ive been looking at the IE80s UE900s TF10s and monster trumpets. Help?

Sound preferences? Genres are helpful but we all enjoy different presentations of such. Also stating preferences in terms of comfort, isolation, and build, would be immensely helpful as well.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,952 of 5,364
Hi, everyone. I need some help. I'm looking for the best possible IEMs for my tastes and budget. I'd like to learn more about sound, headphones, etc. in general so I'd appreciate some detailed opinions; however I don't fully understand terms like soundstage, treble, high frequencies, etc. so if you are going to use such terms please explain them to me. :) I only know what I hear. I listen to a great variety of genres. My budget is between $100 - $250. I'll list some genres, artists, and/or specific songs so you can get to know me a bit better: Trance: 1. "Carry Me Away (Original Mix)" - Chris Lake ft. Emma Hewit 2. "Behind Our Thoughts" - Audien & Decolita 3. Armin Van Buren 4. "Voyage Voyage (Extended Mix)" - Kate Ryan 5. "Drop" - Sean Tyas 6. Above & Beyond Blah Blah Blah... ...The list goes on forever and ever. This is the genre I listen to mostly. Metal/Other Rock: 1. Rammstein 2. System of a Down 3. Metallica 4. Korn (not much) 5. Birthday Massacre (not much) 6. Disturbed (not much) 7. Nine Inch Nails (not much) There's more, but can't remember at the moment. Score: 1. Hanns Zimmer 2. Eric Sierra Not too much in this department, but I love the genre. There's a lot more artisits then I mentioned here. Video Game Music (Don't judge me! lol): 1. Hotline Miami Soundtrack 2. Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.) 3. Cave Story 3D Soundtrack 4. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 5. Super Meat Boy Soundtrack This is probably next in line for most listened to for me and will go on for ages. lol Umm... I could go on and on, but I think these are the genres I listen to mostly. There's also a lot of 80s music (Touch in the Night - Silent Circus) and 90s Freestyle Music and Hip-Hop too. I only listen to Hip-Hop from the 90s. I hope that's enough information or maybe too much. :/ Thanks in advance everyone!!! I appreciate it. :D

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #3,955 of 5,364
I bought UE Tripplefi 10 a year ago and fell in love with the sound. Unfortunately they was way to large for my ears so i looked like a freak when listening to music outside. I decided to get a pair of Vsonic GR07 after realizing the TF10 didn't work out. I still pop out the TF10s when at home just to hear that lovely sound.

I'm thinking of getting a new pair now when the GR07's are standing on their last leg.
Can anyone recommend a pair for ~$200 that have the same kind of sound as the TF10s but is a bit smaller?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3,957 of 5,364
Quote:
Im looking for monster bass IEM. Any recomendations, mostly mid and a little sub bass. Thanks. Also, price doesnt matter

Throwing in a vote for the Monster Miles Davis Tribute (Not Trumpet) and the Future Sonics Atrio M5 (MG7). Those two have some of the most impressive bass I've heard in an IEM.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,959 of 5,364
Hey guys. So I bought the Sennheiser MX W1's and someone said that their rechargeable battery is out of production. Does anyone know if there is a similar battery that I can purchase that can replace the stock battery that comes with the MX W1'w? And what's the average life span of the stock battery? Am I better off just returning these headphones? I got em for $192

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #3,960 of 5,364
Finished previous multi-quote reply - post #3953

Quote:
Im looking for monster bass IEM. Any recomendations, mostly mid and a little sub bass. Thanks. Also, price doesnt matter

Mid-bassy, no budget - 
*takes a deep breath*
MTPC/MTPG/Tributes
XBA-3
W3
3.Ai
X10
FX700
Atrios
FZX100/200 (more subbassy though)
Monster Beats by Dr.Dre

Quote:
I bought UE Tripplefi 10 a year ago and fell in love with the sound. Unfortunately they was way to large for my ears so i looked like a freak when listening to music outside. I decided to get a pair of Vsonic GR07 after realizing the TF10 didn't work out. I still pop out the TF10s when at home just to hear that lovely sound.

I'm thinking of getting a new pair now when the GR07's are standing on their last leg.
Can anyone recommend a pair for ~$200 that have the same kind of sound as the TF10s but is a bit smaller?

Thanks in advance.

TF10-like, smaller - The FXD80s are more V-shaped but share a similarly lean tonality, albeit more tight. There's also the H-200s that've just come out, not sure how'd that pan out due to the less than stellar after-impressions of the H-100s, but the FR graph is reminiscent of the UEs (keep in mind that's all speculation, few have heard these, so take with a massive grain of salt)

Quote:
Hi, everyone. I need some help. I'm looking for the best possible IEMs for my tastes and budget. I'd like to learn more about sound, headphones, etc. in general so I'd appreciate some detailed opinions; however I don't fully understand terms like soundstage, treble, high frequencies, etc. so if you are going to use such terms please explain them to me. :) I only know what I hear. I listen to a great variety of genres. My budget is between $100 - $250. I'll list some genres, artists, and/or specific songs so you can get to know me a bit better: Trance: 1. "Carry Me Away (Original Mix)" - Chris Lake ft. Emma Hewit 2. "Behind Our Thoughts" - Audien & Decolita 3. Armin Van Buren 4. "Voyage Voyage (Extended Mix)" - Kate Ryan 5. "Drop" - Sean Tyas 6. Above & Beyond Blah Blah Blah... ...The list goes on forever and ever. This is the genre I listen to mostly. Metal/Other Rock: 1. Rammstein 2. System of a Down 3. Metallica 4. Korn (not much) 5. Birthday Massacre (not much) 6. Disturbed (not much) 7. Nine Inch Nails (not much) There's more, but can't remember at the moment. Score: 1. Hanns Zimmer 2. Eric Sierra Not too much in this department, but I love the genre. There's a lot more artisits then I mentioned here. Video Game Music (Don't judge me! lol): 1. Hotline Miami Soundtrack 2. Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.) 3. Cave Story 3D Soundtrack 4. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 5. Super Meat Boy Soundtrack This is probably next in line for most listened to for me and will go on for ages. lol Umm... I could go on and on, but I think these are the genres I listen to mostly. There's also a lot of 80s music (Touch in the Night - Silent Circus) and 90s Freestyle Music and Hip-Hop too. I only listen to Hip-Hop from the 90s. I hope that's enough information or maybe too much. :/ Thanks in advance everyone!!! I appreciate it. :D

Regarding the sound describing thing - going to copy another quote from myself, again

Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.

Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade from my Westone 2 IEMs

My options:
Westone 4
Ultimate Ears 900
Shure 535
Sennheiser IE80

Details? Comparisons?

Wanting a similar sig to the W2s? The W4s would be the closest but yet still so far away. Overall thicker and less upper-mids, with more warmth, etc, etc. The UE900s are much tighter and more tactile, but the tonality is brighter and more aggressive (relatively). SE535s are mid-forward and dynamics are a snooze, IE80s are just reverb-heavy bass pairs.

Quote:
Hey guys. So I bought the Sennheiser MX W1's and someone said that their rechargeable battery is out of production. Does anyone know if there is a similar battery that I can purchase that can replace the stock battery that comes with the MX W1'w? And what's the average life span of the stock battery? Am I better off just returning these headphones? I got em for $192

A quick google search yields this - http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX28166

Although even considering the price that's a hefty amount to recuperate. Maybe end up selling these and funding something else later on?

Also, for future reference, this is the portable section of the recommendations thread - you'll probably get better reception on the Full-Sized recommendation thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back