Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,736 of 5,364
Hello! I am a bit saddened to say that I have lost my HF5s. I quite liked the sound from them, but I'm curious to see what IEMs you guys would suggest. (Roughly the same price range as the HF5s, but I could stretch quite a bit this time... to about $2-300 if needed.)

Thanks in advance!

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,737 of 5,364
[/IMG]
The DNAs are more "crisp", but the M80s are undoubtedly the balanced one out of the lot. The Monsters can get downright harsh and aggressive at times. Isolation is relatively poor on the M80s due to venting. 
Would personally look at the A900X as an alternative to the others, great balance, clean and crisp.

Thanks for the insight on the DNA's, I feel as if I can successfully rule them out of my selection process now, the poor build quality and durability coupled with the relative mediocre sound quality has eliminated them. After researching the M80's I found a common complaint to be the comfort of them, which is sort of worrying to me as I currently have a pair of unbranded on ear headphones that I got for free that are extremely uncomfortable and it is quite bothersome. Do you have any insight on the comfort of the M80's?

EDIT: I added a few pictures of the unbranded headphones I have currently, they look like Beats Solo's just without the branding.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,738 of 5,364
May as well stick with the stock apple ones in my opinion. decent earbuds are few and far between.

Koss KSC 75 may be something to look into. They are gonna leak more noise than the apple ones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Basic buds - literally the EarPods. In terms of earbuds they are rather nice to begin with. In terms of durability they really beat out most of the Yuins and some of the cheaper Senns. When you get to the $70+ bracket build takes a huge jump for the Senn lineups. The MX880, for example. Also helps that they sound pretty darned good.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I actually had some Yuins awhile back, PK3 I think. They sounded noticeably better than the iPod earbuds but the damn things fell apart like nobody's business.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,739 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I actually had some Yuins awhile back, PK3 I think. They sounded noticeably better than the iPod earbuds but the damn things fell apart like nobody's business.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the EarPods in your original post.
To back up TwinQY, yes, the EarPods are loads better than the original earbuds. They actually have a bass presence, and don't leak quite as much.
But since they go in the ear a little ways, they aren't really a "one size fits all" earphone. For most people, they work. Just not everyone.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #3,741 of 5,364
Quote:
<=$150 IEM for a basshead please?

The Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Future Sonics Atrio M5 (MG7) are probably your best bet.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,743 of 5,364
Quote:

Closed, isolates, under 50, circumaural, all-rounder - of course music preferences are helpful but sound preferences would be even more so. Anyways the 8323 would be a good starting point, but again, sound preferences.

I can increase my budget to around £60, for that price would the Koss Pro DJ100 (£50) or the Sony MDR-V6 be good options? (also considered the koss pro dj200 as they have the detachable cable)
I shall be playing the music through my computer and through a Sony NWZ-A845 when commuting.
Also if i was to narrow down my music types to the one i definitely listen to the most, it would have to be Instrumental and Acoustic, sorry i don't know what exactly sound preferences to talk about as i don't quite know what exactly to look for with the highs, mods and lows (if thats what you mean?)

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #3,744 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello! I am a bit saddened to say that I have lost my HF5s. I quite liked the sound from them, but I'm curious to see what IEMs you guys would suggest. (Roughly the same price range as the HF5s, but I could stretch quite a bit this time... to about $2-300 if needed.)

Thanks in advance!

Sorry about your HF5's, but always a good excuse to consider upgrading. Having said that, you can pick up a new pair on Amazon for ~100 USD, so I doubt whether you can do much better for the price if you're looking for the same kind of sound. Assuming you are more into a neutral kind of sound (i.e. the HF5's), you may want to look into the Rock-it R50 (~120 USD, but supposedly the highs are less smooth, though Joker rates them considerably higher) and the Ortofon eq5 (~200 USD; IMO all-round an excellent earphone, but stretching your budget here). Maybe TwinQY can chime in to compare them for you?

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3,745 of 5,364
Hi all,

I purchased some IE80s back in January which I loved but sadly did not fit my ears at all. Even after trying all the provided tips plus ones I made myself with foam ear plugs and buying some tips online, I couldn't get a comfortable seal so I sent them back :frowning2:

I am now looking for a pair of IEMs in the similar price range but which have good comfort and perhaps a different sound to the IE80s (in honesty I wasn't that impressed with the signature of the IE80s)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3,747 of 5,364
Quote:
yes, sorry i have the 210s.  i had the remote with mic extension cable but that got thrashed after a while and now i cant find a replacement since the new design came out

why don't you try to find klipsch x10i if you can find it for under $120. Normal x10 can be found for less than $100, but I don't know how much the one with the remote cost.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,748 of 5,364
I currently have MEElectronics CW31, but they are just about as bad is the iBuds that you got with the iPods. My budget is a soft $60 but IF there is enough value in it, $100 max.

Requires:

Somewhere between fun and analytical sounding
Not genre-picky (classical, black metal, hip-hop, folk, country, whatever)
Bass isn't a must but it's presence should be there at least
ok with either up or down positions

Does this IEM exist for under $100?

EDIT: I was recommended either the GR06 for the cheaper budget or the RE-400 for the budget stretcher. Wanted a second-opinion from here

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #3,749 of 5,364
It looks like my MEE A151s have died, so I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Budget: <$50
Use: Gym and work
Source: Nexus 4

I'd like something with good isolation and decent durability. I'm taking a very serious look at the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition, but I'd prefer to buy something from a local store, as I would like to have these soon, if possible. I also don't want to have to RMA something to Singapore/China.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,750 of 5,364
Quote:

Sorry about your HF5's, but always a good excuse to consider upgrading. Having said that, you can pick up a new pair on Amazon for ~100 USD, so I doubt whether you can do much better for the price if you're looking for the same kind of sound. Assuming you are more into a neutral kind of sound (i.e. the HF5's), you may want to look into the Rock-it R50 (~120 USD, but supposedly the highs are less smooth, though Joker rates them considerably higher) and the Ortofon eq5 (~200 USD; IMO all-round an excellent earphone, but stretching your budget here). Maybe TwinQY can chime in to compare them for you?

Alright, upon your suggestions, I looked into the two. The eQ5, while nice looking, I wouldn't like it as it looks a bit awkward to wear. The R-50 though, that's another story. I decided to get a pair after reading a few reviews. They seem like they'll be very good.  If they don't work out, I'll be back. 
tongue.gif
  Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back