Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3,346 of 5,364
Quote:

Smooth, warm, bit of bass emphasis that can go even harder with the bass mods. Completely closed and the velour pads make it so there's essentially no leakage.

Thanks. Would you recommend any others that are for the same price? I currently own the Superlux HD681 headphones. Would the Sennheisers be a huge step up, or just a small step?

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3,347 of 5,364
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a "FUN/WOW" IEM. I understand that sometimes the FUN iems tend to be bass heavy. I am looking something with good bass, mids, and highs. I listen to all kinds of music. There are times when I feel like a bass head and I play heavy-bass songs and sometimes when I just feel calm and relaxed and play some acoustics or classical pieces. Overall, I want to get lost in my music. I don't want something too analytical because overall I want to enjoy my music not analyze it. I want to get lost. I will be using a clip + and my samsung galaxy s 4g with voodoo sound as a source. Like I said I want something enjoyable, not cold, but something nice and warm and fun. Something that can be bass heavy if played a bass heavy song and something that leaves bass out if bass is not an emphasis on the track. I dont know if I make sense I just want an IEM or Earbud that can be an over-all WOW/FUN iem/earbud.

I am in a $200 budget.

I was looking into
Klipsch x10
VSonic GR07 MK2
VSonic GR07 Bass edition
Yahama ph100

which one is better for me? are they are better options out there (keeping my budget in mind)?

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3,348 of 5,364
Hello all, 

I need to replace my Klipsch x10i's as they have started to die and cut out in one ear. I am ideally looking for something in roughly the same price bracket maybe a little more. I have been looking through the guides and comparisons and was thinking either the Eytomic HF5 or Yamaha EPL-100. 

I am happy with the sound quality from the x10i, my main criteria are something that is as light-weight and comfortable as the Klipsch headphones, they should be IEM and be able to be worn straight down as I hate the over ear ones. I am also happy with a mic and remote line as I will often use them to make phone calls while I travel as well. The only real problem I had with the Klipsch was the build quality which is what has now gone even with careful use and storage.

I mainly listen to jazz, easy listening, swing, digital radio and podcasts either through my phone or computer in the office. Generally I do not listen to music that loud however I will turn it up to drown out the tube/traffic noise a little while commuting. Not sure if there is anything in this price range that would have replaceable cables without being over ear? 

Any advice/recommendations welcome.

Regards, 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,349 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a "FUN/WOW" IEM. I understand that sometimes the FUN iems tend to be bass heavy. I am looking something with good bass, mids, and highs. I listen to all kinds of music. There are times when I feel like a bass head and I play heavy-bass songs and sometimes when I just feel calm and relaxed and play some acoustics or classical pieces. Overall, I want to get lost in my music. I don't want something too analytical because overall I want to enjoy my music not analyze it. I want to get lost. I will be using a clip + and my samsung galaxy s 4g with voodoo sound as a source. Like I said I want something enjoyable, not cold, but something nice and warm and fun. Something that can be bass heavy if played a bass heavy song and something that leaves bass out if bass is not an emphasis on the track. I dont know if I make sense I just want an IEM or Earbud that can be an over-all WOW/FUN iem/earbud.

I am in a $200 budget.

I was looking into
Klipsch x10
VSonic GR07 MK2
VSonic GR07 Bass edition
Yahama ph100

which one is better for me? are they are better options out there (keeping my budget in mind)?

As mentioned on the original thread - IE800/FXZ100s. (or the BA200, EPH100)
Quote:
I have scoured this forum for advice on a good classical music IEM, however the only general consensus is Ety ER4, is the best. But I dont have that much money to swing on a pair of headphones. I have included a list of other headphones people have talking about in the other forums.

I am a college student and needless to say, I love listening to classical music. The majority of my iPod is classical music, all CD quality 320 or better. Microphonics is kind of important, I move around a decent amount and I would not like that to interfere with my music. Isolation should be enough to tune out annoying kids in the library. One with a microphone would be awesome but I dont really see IEMs that have. 

Other headphones that users have said that are good for classical music:
Westone UM1
RE0
Ety ER4
Shure SE215
Ety HF5
My main concern with IEM is the price, i wont think I will be willing to pay more than 150.

tl;dr hear ER4 is the best for classical music, what is a good substitute if i cant swing 250 for a pair of IEMs?

As mentioned on the original thread - probably the HF2/3, RE-400.
Quote:
Thanks. Would you recommend any others that are for the same price? I currently own the Superlux HD681 headphones. Would the Sennheisers be a huge step up, or just a small step?

The step would be somewhere in between - a small step up, but a significant sidestep in terms of sound signature. For the price, maybe the Uptown/Downtowns (similar) but those apparently aren't showing up on the Best Buy website.

Quote:
Hello all, 

I need to replace my Klipsch x10i's as they have started to die and cut out in one ear. I am ideally looking for something in roughly the same price bracket maybe a little more. I have been looking through the guides and comparisons and was thinking either the Eytomic HF5 or Yamaha EPL-100. 

I am happy with the sound quality from the x10i, my main criteria are something that is as light-weight and comfortable as the Klipsch headphones, they should be IEM and be able to be worn straight down as I hate the over ear ones. I am also happy with a mic and remote line as I will often use them to make phone calls while I travel as well. The only real problem I had with the Klipsch was the build quality which is what has now gone even with careful use and storage.

I mainly listen to jazz, easy listening, swing, digital radio and podcasts either through my phone or computer in the office. Generally I do not listen to music that loud however I will turn it up to drown out the tube/traffic noise a little while commuting. Not sure if there is anything in this price range that would have replaceable cables without being over ear? 

Regards, 

Lightweight, straight-down, mic/remote, build, (of course stating sound preferences would help, but for starters) - the HF5 are quite lightweight so would go with those if you enjoy a lighter, linear, more clean presentation, (HF2/3s are the mic versions), or the A161P. Comfort is a hit-or-miss but usually with foam tips it works quite well. Better than the EPH-100, which have MASSIVE nozzles and can be a real PITA for fit. Metal shells are quite heavy as well. Again stating sound preferences would be helpful as both are polar opposites in terms of sound.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3,350 of 5,364
How about something under 75 that has a volume control and mic that is either
a. bassy

b. neutral and anylitical
I would prefer anylitical

I wouldn't mind either of the two sound sigs and also would like something stylish

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,351 of 5,364
Quote:
How about something under 75 that has a volume control and mic that is either
a. bassy

b. neutral and anylitical
I would prefer anylitical

I wouldn't mind either of the two sound sigs and also would like something stylish

a) M6/M9
b) UE500vi/UE600vi/MC3/ADDIEM (or the A151 if you can go without the mic)

I have no idea what people find stylish nowadays 0.0

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #3,352 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello all, 

Regards, 

Lightweight, straight-down, mic/remote, build, (of course stating sound preferences would help, but for starters) - the HF5 are quite lightweight so would go with those if you enjoy a lighter, linear, more clean presentation, (HF2/3s are the mic versions), or the A161P. Comfort is a hit-or-miss but usually with foam tips it works quite well. Better than the EPH-100, which have MASSIVE nozzles and can be a real PITA for fit. Metal shells are quite heavy as well. Again stating sound preferences would be helpful as both are polar opposites in terms of sound.

Thanks for this, in terms of sound I listen to a large range of music so like warmth with good definition between the bass, mids and highs with the ability to emphasis the bass over something analytical.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3,353 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks for this, in terms of sound I listen to a large range of music so like warmth with good definition between the bass, mids and highs with the ability to emphasis the bass over something analytical.

If that's the case, sounds extraordinarily like the IE800s then. Warmth, weight, detailed, refined, straight-down and pretty light, albeit no access to a mic/remote. The HF*s are ever so slightly warmer than the ER4s but that isn't saying much. Probably not bassy/warm enough then. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,355 of 5,364
Quote:
sony xba 1 vs maximo im-590 vs ue 500
also if anyone knows anything about the cx 870 and how it compares to these I'd really appreciate it. it's hard to find information on these.
thanks.

Have not heard the Maximos (and can't remember if the CX 870s are the Senns I'm thinking of), but could possibly help with the XBA-1 vs UE500 comparison.

XBA-1 - mid-centric, very polished, balanced out overall. Actually a pretty wide stage, depth is average.
UE500 - As rolled off as the XBAs in the treble, more bass extension. More lean and clarity-based. Notes might seem etched. But quite linear overall.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,356 of 5,364
hi everyone,
I'm looking for some around-ear headphones in the price range 100-170$
i don't like rap, hip-hop, electronic, etc. my music is more on the side of punk, rock, jazz, blues, ska, classical guitar, instrumental, etc.
I'll be using a laptop as a source because I'm only using them at home.
I'm not really a bass-head, i want something balanced.
I've done a wide research of headphones and based on many internet comments it seems like the sennheiser hd558/hd595 are the ones that fit me best. I don't really have a place to try them, there's not many places to try headphones where i live. i wanted to hear some opinions about these headphones, and if there is a suggestion about better headphones please tell me. is there a big difference between these two headphones? should i buy them? thanks for the attention

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3,357 of 5,364
Quote:
hi everyone,
I'm looking for some around-ear headphones in the price range 100-170$
i don't like rap, hip-hop, electronic, etc. my music is more on the side of punk, rock, jazz, blues, ska, classical guitar, instrumental, etc.
I'll be using a laptop as a source because I'm only using them at home.
I'm not really a bass-head, i want something balanced.
I've done a wide research of headphones and based on many internet comments it seems like the sennheiser hd558/hd595 are the ones that fit me best. I don't really have a place to try them, there's not many places to try headphones where i live. i wanted to hear some opinions about these headphones, and if there is a suggestion about better headphones please tell me. is there a big difference between these two headphones? should i buy them? thanks for the attention

Balanced....wait HD558/598? Wrong section, this thread is about portable headphones, not open-back full-sized. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op
They should be able to help you better (and quicker, tons of people on to help unlike this thread 
frown.gif
)

Personally, bit more resolution on the 598s, and more warmth/bass impact on the 558s. Mods should be looked into as well.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,360 of 5,364
^^ One person piping in does mean that people lose out on a plethora of various opinions. People should never just take the word of one person for granted. On the Full-Sized thread, it's great - people of all sizes and shapes come in to offer their knowledge and you usually get longer discussions in regards to advice. Here that's basically non-existent.

And I hardly see any people being left out, bar a few exceptions, and they would just bump their unread post anyways so people still see to it in the end. Here if I happen to leave for a few days/a month like last time, people do pick up the slack (and quite admirably!) but the sheer amount of unanswered questions was startling. I'm still in shock against the 4x 60-reply posts that I had to do after a month (well the ones I didn't post yet due to...technical problems). 

It's a shame because I've always felt the portable forums to be a much more close-knit association of odd-balls, just a much closer community in general. So we don't get as much traffic as we would on the full-sized forums, but I find the new threads and discoveries (even the FOTMs) to be much more exciting and intensive. Whenever I go on the subforums, I find it genuinely hard to find the stuff I really want to read, the new products I really want to check out, because people keep on adding new threads asking for suggestions without looking at the stickies, without using the proper references, and without using this thread.

Heck, sometimes I even find that the number of people responding is far greater than one would expect, and yet none of them will even take a second to glance at this thread, or even a second to help out. I'm willing to bet that a significant majority of people on the forums are simply not aware of this thread's existence.

Now, we don't expect altruism all the time on a public forum. That would be imprudent and presumptuous. People lead lives outside of the Internet, and sometimes they just want to indulge. But I do know for a fact that many will want to return the favour for all the information and discussion blossoming on the forum. The fact that a lack of awareness, and a lack of a proper, systematic system of handling with help, greatly hinders the usefulness of this thread.

Perhaps I'm being too pragmatic. Perhaps I've been stuck on those dusty bug-reports, mailing lists, and help forums for way too long. Perhaps this just isn't the proper place to do this sort of thing. But I know that one thing I've retained from my experiences outside of Head-Fi is the the rewarding experience of being able to help people everyday, through a properly designed and effective support system. Is that simply too much to ask? Should it be such a hard thing to simply help your community out?

I have to stress that I'm not telling everyone to drop what they're doing and feel guilty about something they shouldn't. There's plenty of people on this forum. No one person should be forced to do something they feel is not rewarding or compensates their time. A collective effort that changes from time to time, with different people chiming in around the clock, is much simpler than it seems. People just have to be AWARE. And this is one thread that people have not been very much aware of.

I help because I dislike clutter. Because I dislike unanswered questions. Because I dislike the thought of a community that doesn't give back (well on this front). The Multi-IEM review (both ljokerl and ClieOSs), the Multi-CIEM comparison, the 50 Headphones thread, MLE's Guide to Headphone Gaming, the various Amp/DAC comparison thread, etc, etc, are hallmarks, far and beyond most of what you might encounter on a typical forum. And those are individuals going out of their way to do it, doing it quite well, to say the least. And the collective that gathers within those threads do just as well to help out those in need. There is an mind-boggling amount of help offered, so I don't see why we can't improve the situation over here.

Some might call it wasted time, wasted effort, as the other multi-IEM threads do just the same job. But those are only limited to the items reviewed there. It would count out the various IEMs and headphones new to the scene, worth every bit of a look as the other options. On here, we can easily get enough people with differing experiences and expertise. 

It can't be perfect. Not all answers will be answered. People might even lose interest after a day or two. But as long as there's an ongoing movement, an ongoing push for contribution, for advice, I don't see why we can't make this work better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back