Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,317 of 5,364
I have Vsonic GR99's, they isolate pretty good, are very comftorable and have good bass. I havent ever heard any other IEM's under about $40, but my brother has JVC headphones (I think they are JVC HAFX1X) and while I havent heard them, he is selling his beats studios because he likes them better. They are supposed to be more of a basshead headphone, probably not as clear sounding as my Vsonics.
If your willing to buy used, I saw some Sony MH1C's on the for sale forum here a few days ago, they supposedly are pretty good for that type of music too.

I say get the Vsonics though. Probably the best you can find for under $35 (new)

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,318 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I am currently searching for the most comfortable IEM , that also sound fitting for my music choices
budget is around 200$
I listen to J rock, Jpop, anime and game OSTS those kind of music , I am generally not a bass head
My iem so far in is the
SE215
Hisound audio Wooduo 2
JVC FXD 80

I like the SE215 sound sig the best , the JVC FXD 80 second, however I don't really like the Shures comfort and fit or the large protusion of the FXD80 , can you guys suggest anything?

also I am in a rut on choosing my full size portable
between Denon 2k , AH D600, and the custom one pro , my criteria should be the same
sound sig that I like
and comfort

If you liked the SE215 (and the FXD80 of all things second), guessing a very slight V-shape would be a preference. If that wasn't the case, the PFE112s would be supremely comfortable and easy to fit in the ears, extremely smooth vocals for anisong, very unfatiguing, very balanced. 

Anyways, check out the FXZ100, X10, or the BA200/IE800 if you could go for a more balanced sig.

Full-sized - the D2000s are NOT portable. Leakage is rather significant on both sides. D600s just sound excessive IMO, the COPs are fairly nice albeit a bit slow, but still nice. Not a lot will fit your sig choice in this case though.

Quote:
Hey guys, my headphones broke down a while ago, and I'm looking to replace them.

The thing is, living in a ****ty country, my choice is fairly limited, but I have found 3 pairs of decent portable headphones that are often recommended around here:

Sony MDR-ZX600 ($105)
Sony MDR-V55 ($215)
Koss PortaPro ($68)
Shure SE215 ($120)

As you can see, the prices fluctuate quite wildly when compared to their US counterparts.

I've done a decent amount of research, but I'm not sure whether the V55's price is justified. It seems to be quite a lot cheaper in the US, so I'm wondering whether they have a better sound quality than the SE215's and whether that advantage justifies the price.

It's pretty clear that the V55's are better than the ZX600, but again, due to V55's price I'm wondering whether that increase in quality is really worth the $110.

I've heard that the PortaPros are great headphones in that price range, but that only applies to US and other decent countries. Are they even worth considering with this high a price?

Again, I can only choose between these 4 pairs.

I obviously don't know what the hell I'm doing, so any tips or advice are welcome.

We happen to use the word schiity around here 
wink.gif

Where'd you get off thinking the V55s were better than the rest? They are clearly overpriced in this instance. Not impressive at all. The ZXs were much clearer and balanced. Even the SE215s would be a better buy in this instance. 

Anyways, it'd be helpful to know which country/store/website you'll have available, sound preferences as well.

Quote:
What are the IEMs that come to mind that best combine comfort with durability? I was looking at some Klipsch IEMs (the X4 or the X10), but all the reviews about them not lasting very long turned me off from them. Basically if there are IEMs that have just as good a reputation for comfort but more durable, that would be perfect. I have small-ish ears.

Music-wise I listen to a lot of female vocalists, so something to make the upper registers sound nice would be great. I also like a strong bass when listening to rock music.

My budget is $150 max, though lower is better if it can fit my requirements!

Good bass, female vocals, durable, comfort - if you could've stretched that budget, the GR07 could've fit (and for even more bass/etc perhaps the GR07 Bass Editions though have not heard that one - assuming through their moniker that they do what they're intended to do though). As they are extremely well-built, with thick, rigid plastic. Another one would be the EPH-100, solid metal housings, nice warm vocals, might be a bit too bassy though. But for rock the VSonics would excel.

Quote:
What should I get if I want a in-ear headphone for under $35? I mostly listen to dubstep, DnB, and podcasts. I'd like quite a bit of bass, but I don't want to have to sacrifice clarity.

Under 35, bassy but clear - E10s or the GR02. GR99 would also work.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,319 of 5,364
Quote:
Bah, bass but balanced with detail - go for something like the GR99 or the GR04 if you can spare it then. Marshmellows have been pretty much usurped by the recent budget stuff, and quite significantly as well.

I read the reviews in the Multi-IEM thread, went with the Astrotec AM90. I should have them later this week. You say the marshmellows have been usurped, any in particular stand out?

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,320 of 5,364
Hey guys, I'm looking for an IEM with good isolation, clarity and instrument separation, but also a slight bass emphasis and good bass extension for <$200. I'm looking at the gr07 bass edition, shure se215 limited edition and jvc fxt90, but I'm not sure how they compare to each other. Also considering the cks99, but they look way too big/uncomfortable to wear. Any suggestions/comments?

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,321 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for an IEM with good isolation, clarity and instrument separation, but also a slight bass emphasis and good bass extension for <$200. I'm looking at the gr07 bass edition, shure se215 limited edition and jvc fxt90, but I'm not sure how they compare to each other. Also considering the cks99, but they look way too big/uncomfortable to wear. Any suggestions/comments?

Clarity, separation, isolates, bassy - does sound like the GR07 apart from the bassy part but willing to bet the bass edition will remedy that. FXD80s would be significantly clearer than the FXT90 (not to say they aren't clear) and nozzles are a bit wider/longer as well.

Another one that would fit extremely well within the criteria would be the CKS1000s as a jump up from the CKS99, but those are rather over budget... Very much worth it though. Fit is...well I'll see if I can dig up some of my photos, but they protrude out a bit when fitting straight into the ear. Bending the cable around the ear for grip (not the conventional over-ear style though) and sliding them in at an angle(but very deeply) works out nicely, albeit a bit "hack-ish". Fit is same on the CKS99. If you have small ear canals would avoid completely. Otherwise when you get the hang of it they should work out fine.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,322 of 5,364
Hello Head-Fi, I'm currently looking to purchase a new pair of headphones/IEM. I currently own the Shure SRH440 and SE215 and am looking for an upgrade. I do not prefer Shure over other brands but had gotten them due to finding them for a good price when I needed them. I would prefer something that can be used in planes/bus/trains and home. From what I understand, I will be needing closed back for headphones if I want to use these outside if I don't want people hearing what I'm listening to and hear everything going on around me. I'm looking for something in the $200~$300 price range.

I listen to rock, pop, r&b, country, electronic, classical and anything from english to spanish, korean, japanese and chinese music. They will be used with either an iPod Classic, Galaxy S3, Nexus 10 or dell laptop with 320 or FLAC files. I have tried amping the SRH440 with an FiiO E07k (I do not own them) and found that I liked the sound of it amped better, but the srh440s aren't good to use when moving around. I would prefer to not require an amp for them to sound good. I may look into getting one in the future, but would like to stay without amps for now. I'm looking at the V-MODA M-100 or the DT-770 but would like to know if there are better options out there. Can IEMs at this price range compete with headphones? Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,323 of 5,364
Clarity, separation, isolates, bassy - does sound like the GR07 apart from the bassy part but willing to bet the bass edition will remedy that. FXD80s would be significantly clearer than the FXT90 (not to say they aren't clear) and nozzles are a bit wider/longer as well.

Another one that would fit extremely well within the criteria would be the CKS1000s as a jump up from the CKS99, but those are rather over budget... Very much worth it though. Fit is...well I'll see if I can dig up some of my photos, but they protrude out a bit when fitting straight into the ear. Bending the cable around the ear for grip (not the conventional over-ear style though) and sliding them in at an angle(but very deeply) works out nicely, albeit a bit "hack-ish". Fit is same on the CKS99. If you have small ear canals would avoid completely. Otherwise when you get the hang of it they should work out fine.

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. :)

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,324 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi, I'm currently looking to purchase a new pair of headphones/IEM. I currently own the Shure SRH440 and SE215 and am looking for an upgrade. I do not prefer Shure over other brands but had gotten them due to finding them for a good price when I needed them. I would prefer something that can be used in planes/bus/trains and home. From what I understand, I will be needing closed back for headphones if I want to use these outside if I don't want people hearing what I'm listening to and hear everything going on around me. I'm looking for something in the $200~$300 price range.

I listen to rock, pop, r&b, country, electronic, classical and anything from english to spanish, korean, japanese and chinese music. They will be used with either an iPod Classic, Galaxy S3, Nexus 10 or dell laptop with 320 or FLAC files. I have tried amping the SRH440 with an FiiO E07k (I do not own them) and found that I liked the sound of it amped better, but the srh440s aren't good to use when moving around. I would prefer to not require an amp for them to sound good. I may look into getting one in the future, but would like to stay without amps for now. I'm looking at the V-MODA M-100 or the DT-770 but would like to know if there are better options out there. Can IEMs at this price range compete with headphones? Thanks in advance.

Of course! Different presentations but most definitely if you're comparing technical proficiency/performance. Actuall ~200-300 IEMs are often better values than the full-sized equivalents themselves.

Sound preferences being stated would be helpful (those genres are pretty encompassing). The DT770 are fairly basshead-ish, reviews say something similar about the M100s but have not heard them yet. So would I be correct in assuming you might want something bassy/fun? Or just to stick with the SRH440 balanced sort of deal? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3,328 of 5,364
Quote:
Of course! Different presentations but most definitely if you're comparing technical proficiency/performance. Actuall ~200-300 IEMs are often better values than the full-sized equivalents themselves.

Sound preferences being stated would be helpful (those genres are pretty encompassing). The DT770 are fairly basshead-ish, reviews say something similar about the M100s but have not heard them yet. So would I be correct in assuming you might want something bassy/fun? Or just to stick with the SRH440 balanced sort of deal? 

I didn't know that IEMs are better values than full-sized equivalents. I'm not sure what sound preferences would be, I like my variety in music. From what I've tried I've found that the SE215 sounds appears to be just in the head instead of something more open? Not sure if that is how I should describe it. But that is part of the reason I've looked at headphones more than IEMs. I'm still trying to understand all the terms but think I would be looking for something towards bassy/fun versus balanced. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,329 of 5,364
Quote:
I didn't know that IEMs are better values than full-sized equivalents. I'm not sure what sound preferences would be, I like my variety in music. From what I've tried I've found that the SE215 sounds appears to be just in the head instead of something more open? Not sure if that is how I should describe it. But that is part of the reason I've looked at headphones more than IEMs. I'm still trying to understand all the terms but think I would be looking for something towards bassy/fun versus balanced. 

IEMs are in the head. If you don't like the presentation, then would stick with full-sized (although in terms of sheer balance/detail the IEMs seem to be winning quite a lot as of recent).

Bassy/fun, $200-300, (something more open?) - it does sound like how people are describing the M100 but no experience so will completely refrain from commenting on that. The DT770s you mentioned are nice and expansive, good deep fun, can definitely thumb that one up.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3,330 of 5,364
Quote:
IEMs are in the head. If you don't like the presentation, then would stick with full-sized (although in terms of sheer balance/detail the IEMs seem to be winning quite a lot as of recent).

Bassy/fun, $200-300, (something more open?) - it does sound like how people are describing the M100 but no experience so will completely refrain from commenting on that. The DT770s you mentioned are nice and expansive, good deep fun, can definitely thumb that one up.

By more open I mean not sounding like it's in the head.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back