Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #3,286 of 5,364
Quote:
My ep-630s have decided to go very quiet lately. I've had the sennhieser cx-150s but gave them to my brother, the fit hurt my ear canal. I've been thinking about trying the JVC Marshmellows since they are said to be good for being cheap. I was also looking at the Astrotec AM90 after reading the review and looking at the list in the multi-iem thread.

Sources: Computer w/ realtek alc888 built in, Nexus 7, Motorola Triumph cell phone (unlikely), Sansa c250 mp3 player (riding bicycle). With and without a portable amp (pa2v2), and rarely using either the earforce dss or an old optimus sa-155 for my ps3.

Other headphones: ksc75 w/ quarter mod & loose clips (via cutting part of the solder joint cover off), portapro w/ quarter mod, and a bluetooth speaker.

Use: games, music (varies: Blackalicious, Weird Al, Tenacious D, The Planets Suite (classical), Piano, Violin, Ambient, Squarpusher, Miles Davis, noise/dubstep, The Chieftains, Paint it Black (Rolling Stones), and Jimi Hendrix), audiobooks, isolation.

I'd like to stay below $50, but I was looking at the RE400s too.

Genres are too varied for me to get a sense of sound preferences. Anything you prefer in terms of sig?

Quote:
Ah I see, that makes sense. It's definitely going to be between either PFE122 and RE262 at this point. Then between the two, how do they compare in terms of comfort and isolation? I'm not going to be using it for exercising but more for studying, general listening and just whenever I walk to class.

Isolation - the PFEs are shallow insertion, and the nozzles/shells are rather small. Overall it's fairly average. RE262s are ever so slightly better especially with longer tips but the smaller Phonaks completely beat them out in terms of comfort.
Quote:
I need a really small portable pair of on ear headphones. Not a big fan of clip ons or anything wireless. Open back would be great too.

Budget? Sound preferences?

Quote:
Thanks, I have decided what earphones I will get. I think I already posted this, but here it is again. Sennheisers CX275S, MEElectronics Armature Series A151, and the MEElectronics SP51P. I might get the Sennheisers you linked, but that is if I have 80 dollars left. Right now, it seems that I will only have about 70 dollars left. Also, the Sennheisers you linked, do they bleed sound and what is there quality? Are they bass-heavy or evenly balanced? Are the highs sharp?

Smooth, warm, bit of bass emphasis that can go even harder with the bass mods. Completely closed and the velour pads make it so there's essentially no leakage.

Quote:
I want another pair of earbuds, I currently have Sennheiser MX980s. My country (UK) doesn't sell the MX980s, MX880s or MX985s anymore.

So, is there any earbud in the same style with the same sound quality (or better) on the market right now (or coming out later in the year)? Any brand or price will do, just same earbud type style and good sound quality please.

Budget? Earbuds have been stagnating for quite a while now. If you're not going IEM, you probably won't find somethine better than the Senns. They were, and still are, at the top of the top.

Quote:
Hey guys I currently have re-zero, mt pearl, she3590, hd 25-1-ii, and hd 439. I am planning to buy westone 2 as my first premium iem. I listen mostly to classical music and jazz, so instrument separation, imaging, and SQ are my top priorities. Please offer some advide.

W2s would fit those purposes just fine. Separation is decent, imaging is definitely a strength. The BA200s can also get around that level of performance for much less (not saying the W2s are a bad value, the TDKs are just mind-boggling in this respect)

Quote:
My budget would probably be anything less than $150.
I am not necessarily stuck on the sound sig of the M-80, but it is just a reference point for me, since I am not too well versed in audio technicalities.

How much are the PFE122 and BA200 at street market prices?

PFE122s are being phased out at the end of the month, Phonak is shutting down their IEM sector. Usually you find them at ~149-169USD. TDKs go for 135 on Amazon. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,287 of 5,364
Quote:
Genres are too varied for me to get a sense of sound preferences. Anything you prefer in terms of sig?

Hmm, I don't know. I like the sound of the Koss' I have. I liked the ep-630s before they got so quiet. If I'm using them and switch to the on-ear ones, they will distort and I have to turn the volume down asap. I think I liked the sennheier cx-150s sound, but definitely didn't like the fit. Bass without being overpowered by it, and detail. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what I want.

I have no problem trying multiple pairs (as long as amazon will take them back). If I could have found the marshmellows last time I was out I would have gotten them, but they all had inline volume.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3,289 of 5,364
Quote:
Hmm, I don't know. I like the sound of the Koss' I have. I liked the ep-630s before they got so quiet. If I'm using them and switch to the on-ear ones, they will distort and I have to turn the volume down asap. I think I liked the sennheier cx-150s sound, but definitely didn't like the fit. Bass without being overpowered by it, and detail. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what I want.

I have no problem trying multiple pairs (as long as amazon will take them back). If I could have found the marshmellows last time I was out I would have gotten them, but they all had inline volume.

Bah, bass but balanced with detail - go for something like the GR99 or the GR04 if you can spare it then. Marshmellows have been pretty much usurped by the recent budget stuff, and quite significantly as well.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,290 of 5,364
Was going to buy the Beats by Dre Solo HD, but as normal I like to do my fair share of research. They're not that great(in sound quality) from what I've gathered.

I'm in need of something in the over-ear department that'll fit a few things.

1) My phone is my main source of music on-the-go. I'm boasting the HTC One V. If I'm right it's sporting a standard 3.5mm jack. I've had problems before with this phone. My ex-girlfriend had the exact same phone and her echo unlimited headphones worked fine, but mine wouldn't even read them(though would read my cheaper ones from the same brand!)

2) I wear a lids cap(Those "YOLOSWAG" caps - Don't worry I'm not sporting those terms.) so something that could fit over that(under a hoodie) would be great.

3) I may use them for audio production(recording) in the future so advice on what kind of jacks I might need would be nice, but it shouldn't be for awhile so my main focus is on-the-go enjoyment of my music.

4) Obviously I want something stylish, but it doesn't need to be head turning. Just something I'd feel comfortable wearing.

5) I would be willing to consider in-ear headphones if those would suit my needs better, but I've been under the impression that over-ear "studio" headphones produce the top-quality sound in-ears can't reach. Anyone able to elaborate?

As for budgetting I was planning on buying the solo HD's worth ~260$ with tax(220+17% tax), but I'd be down for paying less if such a thing exists.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3,291 of 5,364
Quote:
Was going to buy the Beats by Dre Solo HD, but as normal I like to do my fair share of research. They're not that great(in sound quality) from what I've gathered.

I'm in need of something in the over-ear department that'll fit a few things.

1) My phone is my main source of music on-the-go. I'm boasting the HTC One V. If I'm right it's sporting a standard 3.5mm jack. I've had problems before with this phone. My ex-girlfriend had the exact same phone and her echo unlimited headphones worked fine, but mine wouldn't even read them(though would read my cheaper ones from the same brand!)

2) I wear a lids cap(Those "YOLOSWAG" caps - Don't worry I'm not sporting those terms.) so something that could fit over that(under a hoodie) would be great.

3) I may use them for audio production(recording) in the future so advice on what kind of jacks I might need would be nice, but it shouldn't be for awhile so my main focus is on-the-go enjoyment of my music.

4) Obviously I want something stylish, but it doesn't need to be head turning. Just something I'd feel comfortable wearing.

5) I would be willing to consider in-ear headphones if those would suit my needs better, but I've been under the impression that over-ear "studio" headphones produce the top-quality sound in-ears can't reach. Anyone able to elaborate?

As for budgetting I was planning on buying the solo HD's worth ~260$ with tax(220+17% tax), but I'd be down for paying less if such a thing exists.

1) Assuming by "read" you're referring to the mic/remote feature. Obviously all 3.5mm headphone jacks will output audio/power to headphones with 3.5mm headphone jacks.

2) So small size. Gotcha

3) Go with 3.5 and they usually include a 1/4 inch adapter. Most often than not. 

5) Different sound paradigms/presentations. Neither is really more accurate over the other. IEMs usually have a more focused sense of imaging, more resolution. Headphones are more expansive, with better weight and dynamics.

Anyways, style, over-ear, not too coloured - sounds like the M80s but since you haven't stated sound preference (sig, etc) or genres, have no idea where to expand on that. So some input on your preferences (EMPHASIS on signature preference) would be appreciated.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #3,292 of 5,364
Quote:
1) Assuming by "read" you're referring to the mic/remote feature. Obviously all 3.5mm headphone jacks will output audio/power to headphones with 3.5mm headphone jacks.

2) So small size. Gotcha

3) Go with 3.5 and they usually include a 1/4 inch adapter. Most often than not. 

5) Different sound paradigms/presentations. Neither is really more accurate over the other. IEMs usually have a more focused sense of imaging, more resolution. Headphones are more expansive, with better weight and dynamics.

Anyways, style, over-ear, not too coloured - sounds like the M80s but since you haven't stated sound preference (sig, etc) or genres, have no idea where to expand on that. So some input on your preferences (EMPHASIS on signature preference) would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response!

No I literaly meant the headphones simply wouldn't read in my phone oddly enough. Which is why I'm hoping I can find demo pairs of whatever brand I end up choosing. I'm mostly into hip-hop with some mild rock-like vibes(Hollywood Undead for example) and the occasional pop/R&B song(very few catch my ear). I will less likely be getting back into EDM, but is still a small possibility.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3,293 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response!

No I literaly meant the headphones simply wouldn't read in my phone oddly enough. Which is why I'm hoping I can find demo pairs of whatever brand I end up choosing. I'm mostly into hip-hop with some mild rock-like vibes(Hollywood Undead for example) and the occasional pop/R&B song(very few catch my ear). I will less likely be getting back into EDM, but is still a small possibility.

If the phone outputs sound don't see why it shouldn't receive sound. Unless the jack is broken or some weird mic configuration. But I digress.

Anyways, M80s still stand, also the UE6000, HD25-1, Momentums, are quite fun-sounding as well. Obviously level of balance is beyond what the Solos can even hope to imagine.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,295 of 5,364
Quote:
I'll check those out, and just to make sure we're on the same page. These would be the M80's you refer to?

My phone's just weird and it's a lower-end phone so it's going to sport it's own bugs.

Ugh, if you're linking to .ca, go look at Headphone Bar for their open-box deal on the M80s. Amazon Canada is supremely overpriced.
http://www.headphonebar.com/open-v-moda-m80/

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,298 of 5,364
Quote:
Since you probably have more knowledge about these headphones, personally which one would you chose between the two?

Phonaks are more delicate and softer in note, the TDKs have more lushness, weight, and a wider sense of imaging. Technicalities are otherwise on par. Build and isolation is a bit better on the TDKs but the PFEs win on comfort and size alone. But I'd be a bit worried that you can no longer get Phonak's warranty or replacement filters/tips with them being discontinued. So keeping the current situation in mind (not to mention the price and the fact that both are pretty much on par performance-wise), would go for the TDKs. Usually I like a less lush and more neutral sort of phone which would push me towards the PFE122, but the TDKs aren't excessive like phones such as say, the HE-500s.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,299 of 5,364
I'm looking for a good quality set of Iem <300$ and I'm considering:
Sony ex600
Vsonic gr07 bass edition
Audio technica ath cks1000
Sennheiser ie80
Ultimate ears 900
Although the ie and ue is out of the limitation but I was impressed with the ie and curious about the ue! I'm using ue6000 and senn cx980! My music mostly are Linkin Park's songs with some other bassy songs! I need a set with no sibilance and ok isolation and extremely comfort and last but not least that is easy to buy in singapore

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3,300 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a good quality set of Iem <300$ and I'm considering:
Sony ex600
Vsonic gr07 bass edition
Audio technica ath cks1000
Sennheiser ie80
Ultimate ears 900
Although the ie and ue is out of the limitation but I was impressed with the ie and curious about the ue! I'm using ue6000 and senn cx980! My music mostly are Linkin Park's songs with some other bassy songs! I need a set with no sibilance and ok isolation and extremely comfort and last but not least that is easy to buy in singapore

The EX600s have near to no isolation. Not to mention the slight peakiness/sibilance. UE900s have a light boost in the subbass overall but not exactly a basshead phone. CKS1000s do seem to fit the criteria perfectly though (and we all have to pick them up from Amazon.jp + Tenso anyways 
rolleyes.gif
). Or the FXZ200s. 

Have not heard the Bass edition but the regular GR07s might lose out to say the IE80s on comfort (housing is square and the nozzles rather short so it can be irritating for some, but the IE80s don't have that problem (oh but they do have their own problems though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back