Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,271 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,
I had a question about purchasing a pair of IEMs. I have the klipsch x10s currently which I got from using the warranty on a discontinued lower end model. However, they recently broke down. I read some reviews for many of the popular IEMs and ended up looking at two main ones.

RE-ZERO, which I was able to find on sale for $60, perhaps because they just came out with the RE-400.
Rock it Sounds R-50, which is double the price.

For the most part I am not too concerned about the price, though it is somewhat substantial since the R-50 is twice the price and I still enjoy a good value. I was wondering if some people could give me some direction in what to head towards.

Not sure too much about the exact type of sound I am looking for, but I do have the Vmoda M-80s and enjoy them a good deal.

Build-wise - might want to skip out on the RE-ZEROs. Had the RE0 and not exactly a step up from the X10s. Also nowhere near the same sound as the X10 or the M-80 (unless you're looking for something different)

If you want something similar to the M-80, it'd be more along the lines of the PFE122 or the BA200s than the R-50s really. Budget?

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #3,272 of 5,364
Quote:
DUNU? Definitely the Hephaes then. Crisp and oh-so-good for bassy fun.
Otherwise the ATs, E10, maybe the GR02/M2 if you mind the smoothness, still stands.

Thanks for the help
smile.gif
.I'll try to buy E10s if i can't find those,then i'll save more money and go for dunu
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #3,273 of 5,364
My ep-630s have decided to go very quiet lately. I've had the sennhieser cx-150s but gave them to my brother, the fit hurt my ear canal. I've been thinking about trying the JVC Marshmellows since they are said to be good for being cheap. I was also looking at the Astrotec AM90 after reading the review and looking at the list in the multi-iem thread.

Sources: Computer w/ realtek alc888 built in, Nexus 7, Motorola Triumph cell phone (unlikely), Sansa c250 mp3 player (riding bicycle). With and without a portable amp (pa2v2), and rarely using either the earforce dss or an old optimus sa-155 for my ps3.

Other headphones: ksc75 w/ quarter mod & loose clips (via cutting part of the solder joint cover off), portapro w/ quarter mod, and a bluetooth speaker.

Use: games, music (varies: Blackalicious, Weird Al, Tenacious D, The Planets Suite (classical), Piano, Violin, Ambient, Squarpusher, Miles Davis, noise/dubstep, The Chieftains, Paint it Black (Rolling Stones), and Jimi Hendrix), audiobooks, isolation.

I'd like to stay below $50, but I was looking at the RE400s too.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #3,274 of 5,364
Quote:
Analyticalityness (trademarked term) would go like GR01 > PFE122 = RE262. Neither one really lets on. The RE262 would be like one thick but very content-full layer of sound, and the PFE122s would be separate thinner layers. But would not say one would be more analytical than the other. Clearer, maybe (though I'd attribute it to a leaner note presentation), but certain not the former.

By this point, I think either one would work. Just depends on other factors like usability and pricing/availability at this point.

Ah I see, that makes sense. It's definitely going to be between either PFE122 and RE262 at this point. Then between the two, how do they compare in terms of comfort and isolation? I'm not going to be using it for exercising but more for studying, general listening and just whenever I walk to class.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,277 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks, I have decided what earphones I will get. I think I already posted this, but here it is again. Sennheisers CX275S, MEElectronics Armature Series A151, and the MEElectronics SP51P. I might get the Sennheisers you linked, but that is if I have 80 dollars left. Right now, it seems that I will only have about 70 dollars left. Also, the Sennheisers you linked, do they bleed sound and what is there quality? Are they bass-heavy or evenly balanced? Are the highs sharp?

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,278 of 5,364
I want another pair of earbuds, I currently have Sennheiser MX980s. My country (UK) doesn't sell the MX980s, MX880s or MX985s anymore.

So, is there any earbud in the same style with the same sound quality (or better) on the market right now (or coming out later in the year)? Any brand or price will do, just same earbud type style and good sound quality please.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3,280 of 5,364
Hey guys I currently have re-zero, mt pearl, she3590, hd 25-1-ii, and hd 439. I am planning to buy westone 2 as my first premium iem. I listen mostly to classical music and jazz, so instrument separation, imaging, and SQ are my top priorities. Please offer some advide.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,281 of 5,364
My budget would probably be anything less than $150.
I am not necessarily stuck on the sound sig of the M-80, but it is just a reference point for me, since I am not too well versed in audio technicalities.

How much are the PFE122 and BA200 at street market prices?

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3,282 of 5,364
Sorry for reposting guys but I orginally posted in the wrong place:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655734/iem-advice

To summarize, much appreciated if you guys could help point me in the direction of an IEM with iphone controls for a guy that likes his quality but still enjoys bass but listens mostly to rock, punk, hardcore, metal, indie rock, 80's, new wave, hair metal & jazz standards. Probably going to end up buying 2 or more pairs (to match up with my love for Ultrasone, Grado & Sony XB1000). From reading i think i should be choosing from:

Phonak Audeo PFE 232
Sony XBA 40ip
Heir auido 4i
UE triplefi 10vi
FS Atrio MG7
JVC FX700
Westone 4R
Sennheiser IE80 
Sennheiser IE8
FS Atrio MG7 
Sony XB90ex
UE 900
or ?????

in that order, right? thanks in adavance. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,283 of 5,364
Hey guys,
I've been trying for a while to find a pair of cheap headphones I can use on the go (walking, bike riding, bus riding). IEMs would be great, but I have been unable to get any kind of fit with most cheap ones (eg the Meelec m6 with any of the included tips). Etymotics are the only ones that have worked for me, I think because they make smaller and deeper tips than most. Does anyone make an IEM with an ety-like fit for under $40?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3,284 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys,
I've been trying for a while to find a pair of cheap headphones I can use on the go (walking, bike riding, bus riding). IEMs would be great, but I have been unable to get any kind of fit with most cheap ones (eg the Meelec m6 with any of the included tips). Etymotics are the only ones that have worked for me, I think because they make smaller and deeper tips than most. Does anyone make an IEM with an ety-like fit for under $40?

Thanks!

With that price, I highly doubt you're gonna find one. Earphones with that price are all made with wide nozzle size. And wide nozzles aren't made for deep insertion because trust me, inserting those things deep in your ears won't be fun. If you're willing to up your budget a bit, maybe you should consider Philips SHE9900. I haven't heard of those, but I have and still love the SHE9850, which is supposedly the predecessor of the SHE9900. They go quite deep in ears, not as deep as Etymotics, but still deeper than most typical wide nozzle earphones.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,285 of 5,364
Still multi-quoting, but will say this first - 

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

VC02s are just as deep insertion-wise (from the looks of the photos). Slightly above budget but fairly close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back