Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,256 of 5,364
New poster here looking to benefit from the extensive knowledge here...

I'm looking for a new iem.  From ljokerl's extensive list it seems that Etymotic HF2 should be good for me, but before I pull the trigger I would like to hear if there is a different pair that's better suited for my needs.

For reference, I have a pair of Shure SCL2's which I'm happy with sound-wise, but as that is the only pair of iem's I've known, I'm not implying that I prefer that sound over any other.  I do appreciate the bass to give the music more body, but I wouldn't want the bass to be any stronger than it already is with the SCL2's.  I like definition in the sounds to hear all the components.  I don't know if SCL2's are considered deep or shallow, but the foam tips have been comfortable in my ears.  They are a nuisance if I need to repeatedly remove them to talk to someone and so I use the rubber ball-type tips which don't tend to stay inserted (especially if I'm chewing).  I think the triple flange should probably be a good a good compromise but since I haven't found any that fit SCL2's, that's just speculation at this point.  I do prefer wearing them around the ear instead of straight down so I can let them hang in place if I need to take them off and do so without pulling the wire if it's running inside my jacket.  So any iems that must be worn straight down is less desirable.

Other aspects I'm looking for:
- The best sound isolation possible to cut out as much of the traffic noise as possible when outside and double as earplugs on an airplane.
- I am also looking for an integrated microphone.  I listen to music on my phone and being able answer a call without pulling the iems out is desirable.  It's an Android phone, so the answer call button would need to work on Android phones.  Rumour has it that the volume buttons would be ignored by my phone, so with or without those makes no difference.  
- The 3.5mm jack itself must be slim.  The bumper around my phone only has a cutout twice the diameter of the jack itself.  That means my SCL2s won't even plug in!  (Unless I take a knife to them - not something to do to a new pair under warranty).
- I don't like the straight plug.  Aside from more difficult removal, it's also prone to more damage when the phone is in a pocket.  90° is good.  The hockey stick I see on some should also be good.

Budget: sub $200.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3,257 of 5,364
Quote:
New poster here looking to benefit from the extensive knowledge here...

I'm looking for a new iem.  From ljokerl's extensive list it seems that Etymotic HF2 should be good for me, but before I pull the trigger I would like to hear if there is a different pair that's better suited for my needs.

For reference, I have a pair of Shure SCL2's which I'm happy with sound-wise, but as that is the only pair of iem's I've known, I'm not implying that I prefer that sound over any other.  I do appreciate the bass to give the music more body, but I wouldn't want the bass to be any stronger than it already is with the SCL2's.  I like definition in the sounds to hear all the components.  I don't know if SCL2's are considered deep or shallow, but the foam tips have been comfortable in my ears.  They are a nuisance if I need to repeatedly remove them to talk to someone and so I use the rubber ball-type tips which don't tend to stay inserted (especially if I'm chewing).  I think the triple flange should probably be a good a good compromise but since I haven't found any that fit SCL2's, that's just speculation at this point.  I do prefer wearing them around the ear instead of straight down so I can let them hang in place if I need to take them off and do so without pulling the wire if it's running inside my jacket.  So any iems that must be worn straight down is less desirable.

Other aspects I'm looking for:
- The best sound isolation possible to cut out as much of the traffic noise as possible when outside and double as earplugs on an airplane.
- I am also looking for an integrated microphone.  I listen to music on my phone and being able answer a call without pulling the iems out is desirable.  It's an Android phone, so the answer call button would need to work on Android phones.  Rumour has it that the volume buttons would be ignored by my phone, so with or without those makes no difference.  
- The 3.5mm jack itself must be slim.  The bumper around my phone only has a cutout twice the diameter of the jack itself.  That means my SCL2s won't even plug in!  (Unless I take a knife to them - not something to do to a new pair under warranty).
- I don't like the straight plug.  Aside from more difficult removal, it's also prone to more damage when the phone is in a pocket.  90° is good.  The hockey stick I see on some should also be good.

Budget: sub $200.

Thanks in advance!

Best isolation, mic, not having to use the foams - just stick with the Etys. Won't find much competition against all those criteria anyways. You really won't. Can't recommend it enough.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,258 of 5,364
Hi, I am new to Head-Fi and I am seeking some help for buying headphones.
I'm a noob when it comes to this but I am wanting to buy some decent headphones that are great for:
Usage for home / going outside
Listening to: Dubstep, Jazz, Rock, Electronic and J-Pop
Good sound Isolation
Good at not leaking sound
Good built quality (I know the V-Moda M-100's are built like a tank)
Doesn't look too bad
Budget : 400$ (including tax and shipping prices)

I am considering about buying the V-Moda m-100's or the Sennheiser Momentum but I'd like to see more suggestions. 
Thanks in advance!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3,259 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I am new to Head-Fi and I am seeking some help for buying headphones.
I'm a noob when it comes to this but I am wanting to buy some decent headphones that are great for:
Usage for home / going outside
Listening to: Dubstep, Jazz, Rock, Electronic and J-Pop
Good sound Isolation
Good at not leaking sound
Good built quality (I know the V-Moda M-100's are built like a tank)
Doesn't look too bad
Budget : 400$ (including tax and shipping prices)

I am considering about buying the V-Moda m-100's or the Sennheiser Momentum but I'd like to see more suggestions. 
Thanks in advance!

Sound preferences? 

I think the M-100s are touted as being vented like all V-Modas, so not sure how they'd fare for isolation. Momentums do fine. Build is a bit plasticky apart from the jack, headband is a bit thin. Ever look at the DT1350s or the UE6000?

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,261 of 5,364
Hi guys could you recommend me some in ears for under 200.
Needs to have a decent cable as my ue700 cable broke. (The part of the cable connecting to the jack split). Something for trance/edm and to be used with a galaxy s3 phone. I've got the brainwavs b2's but want something with maybe a bit more coloured sound and also a cable which isn't disgustingly ugly lol.

Thinking audiofly 78s or gr07's?

Cheers

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3,262 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys could you recommend me some in ears for under 200.
Needs to have a decent cable as my ue700 cable broke. (The part of the cable connecting to the jack split). Something for trance/edm and to be used with a galaxy s3 phone. I've got the brainwavs b2's but want something with maybe a bit more coloured sound and also a cable which isn't disgustingly ugly lol.

Thinking audiofly 78s or gr07's?

Cheers

This.

GR07s would fit in regards to the cable. Something more coloured than B2s - in which way? Just an overview on sound sig preferences would be helpful.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,264 of 5,364
Quote:
just a brighter sound i guess? Also heard the phonak audeo pfe is alright?

Almost read that as in brighter than the B2. Which does not exist :p

PFE122s are quite smooth in the treble, less about sparkle and fatigue. The A161p cable is not terrible, slightly brighter than the PFEs. R-50s would have fit the sound profile quite well, but the cable is rather stiff. GR01 would be your best bet along with the GR07 though, from the looks of it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3,265 of 5,364
Quote:
Your budget at the moment is fine, plenty of choices already. I would've gotten confused a heck of a lot faster than you would have, seems like you want something mid-centric/all-rounder/balanced-ish though.

That sounds about right, in regards to being "all-rounded", it's not as much of a priority as being mid-centric and balanced. I'd much prefer good isolation. The RE262 really impressed me with their midrange and I think I'm leaning towards them again. Their bass seemed a little veiled, a little less prominent than I'd like. It may have been the unit itself but I'm not looking for anything over-the-top in terms of bass. How would the RE262 compare with the PFE122? 

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,266 of 5,364
Quote:
That sounds about right, in regards to being "all-rounded", it's not as much of a priority as being mid-centric and balanced. I'd much prefer good isolation. The RE262 really impressed me with their midrange and I think I'm leaning towards them again. Their bass seemed a little veiled, a little less prominent than I'd like. It may have been the unit itself but I'm not looking for anything over-the-top in terms of bass. How would the RE262 compare with the PFE122? 

Same soft note presentation, warmth goes to the RE262 by a hair. From bass to midrange they are quite similar in many respects. Bit more weight and texture on the RE262s though. Slightly more air on the Phonaks, but both are just as smoothed out. So in terms of sig, they are very, very similar, just how they present it differently. If the bass on the HiFiMANs were a bit too prominent I'd switch to the black filters on the Phonaks then. Or the GR01. Mids are less lush, but the VSonics or the Phonaks (more of the former) push out more clarity note by note.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #3,267 of 5,364
Quote:
Same soft note presentation, warmth goes to the RE262 by a hair. From bass to midrange they are quite similar in many respects. Bit more weight and texture on the RE262s though. Slightly more air on the Phonaks, but both are just as smoothed out. So in terms of sig, they are very, very similar, just how they present it differently. If the bass on the HiFiMANs were a bit too prominent I'd switch to the black filters on the Phonaks then. Or the GR01. Mids are less lush, but the VSonics or the Phonaks (more of the former) push out more clarity note by note.

It'd probably be incorrect for me to confuse an IEM being clear and being revealing, right? Regardless, would you say that the Phonaks are more analytical? The general remark about the Phonaks are that they are considerably more revealing; although the filter system seems very intriguing. I'm intending for these IEMs to be for general and relaxed listening so nothing too fatiguing would be preferred.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,268 of 5,364
Quote:
It'd probably be incorrect for me to confuse an IEM being clear and being revealing, right? Regardless, would you say that the Phonaks are more analytical? The general remark about the Phonaks are that they are considerably more revealing; although the filter system seems very intriguing. I'm intending for these IEMs to be for general and relaxed listening so nothing too fatiguing would be preferred.

Analyticalityness (trademarked term) would go like GR01 > PFE122 = RE262. Neither one really lets on. The RE262 would be like one thick but very content-full layer of sound, and the PFE122s would be separate thinner layers. But would not say one would be more analytical than the other. Clearer, maybe (though I'd attribute it to a leaner note presentation), but certain not the former.

By this point, I think either one would work. Just depends on other factors like usability and pricing/availability at this point.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,269 of 5,364
Hi,
I had a question about purchasing a pair of IEMs. I have the klipsch x10s currently which I got from using the warranty on a discontinued lower end model. However, they recently broke down. I read some reviews for many of the popular IEMs and ended up looking at two main ones.

RE-ZERO, which I was able to find on sale for $60, perhaps because they just came out with the RE-400.
Rock it Sounds R-50, which is double the price.

For the most part I am not too concerned about the price, though it is somewhat substantial since the R-50 is twice the price and I still enjoy a good value. I was wondering if some people could give me some direction in what to head towards.

Not sure too much about the exact type of sound I am looking for, but I do have the Vmoda M-80s and enjoy them a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back