Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,226 of 5,364
So I am looking at these 3 IEMs:
 Sony MDR-XB90EX
 JVC HA-FXT90
 ATH CKN70

Say, I really love my SHE3580 mostly because of the bright sound and the sub-bass, which of these should I pick if I want a similar sound signature?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,227 of 5,364
So I'm looking to move to a new pair, and my options are pretty wide open: 

History: 

Klipsch Image S4 -- I liked the way these sound, although I recognize they're certainly not the most neutral, but they were fun to listen to. A few months after I got those, I moved on to 
UE Triple.Fi 10 -- Picked these up two years ago with Amazon's Black Friday pricing...so I feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck. I think these sound great, but I'm finally getting unhappy with the fit. They don't fit poorly, I'm just not particularly happy with them either. 

So I've decided to try to find a new pair, and I think I've narrowed down my options somewhat: 

I'd like to spend under $200 if possible, but I'm capable of stretching to $300 if it's really worth it. 

I'm currently considering -- 

Klipsch Image x10 -- Cheap on Amazon, apparently very comfortable. A lot of bang for the buck?
V-Moda M-80 -- Well regarded, but I'm not sure if I'll like on-ear 
UE 6000 -- Tried at Best Buy, liked but not super impressed -- Supposed to have good bass, but I wasn't really feeling it. Perhaps the floor unit has alot of wear and tear? 
V-Moda M-100 -- Apparently well liked, but a little out of budget. Impressed at reliability and replaceable parts. Worth the price jump? 

Are any of these significantly better than the UE Triple.Fi's in terms of SQ? I'm open to other recommendations as well, this is just where I'm at at the moment 

EDIT: Mostly used for mobile listening streaming from Google Music on Nexus 4, local listening on MBP with Spotify, and mostly Apple Lossless/iTunes purchase 

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,228 of 5,364
Hi, lately my cheap skullcandy headphones just aren't doing it for me anymore, and I need sone guidance for choosing a portable and foldable over ear headphone. My price range is around $150 - $200, I want them to be pretty flush. I'll be using them mostly with my phone, ipod, and laptop. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly 70's rock so I'm not really sure about the bass prominence.

PS: would Audio-Technica ATH-M50 be a good choice?
Thank's for any replies! Happy head banging. :)

Bump, Sorry can someone help me. I'm totally clueless. :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3,229 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a pair of IEMs for commuting, with a budget of <$120 (I'm a poor student). I listen to literally every genre of music, but lean towards electronic genres, and am a slight basshead (although clarity throughout the spectrum is important to me). Since I'm commuting, isolation is very important to me. I'm used to the open soundstage of full-size headphones, so I'm hoping to find something with a similar feel.
I've been looking at the following:

SoundMAGIC E30
Klipsh S4
Phonak PFE 012
MEElectronics M6

Any ideas as to which would be better suited? Any other suggestions are welcome too. 
Thanks!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,230 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a pair of IEMs for commuting, with a budget of <$120 (I'm a poor student). I listen to literally every genre of music, but lean towards electronic genres, and am a slight basshead (although clarity throughout the spectrum is important to me). Since I'm commuting, isolation is very important to me. I'm used to the open soundstage of full-size headphones, so I'm hoping to find something with a similar feel.
I've been looking at the following:

SoundMAGIC E30
Klipsh S4
Phonak PFE 012
MEElectronics M6

Any ideas as to which would be better suited? Any other suggestions are welcome too. 
Thanks!

Soundstage on any IEMS under $120 is going to be nothing like full sized,  but if you want good isolation and bass, the SE215/215LE/SE should work fine. Their mids and lows are good. Top end, eh, it's not horrible.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3,231 of 5,364
Hi,Im seeking help in terms of picking an appropriate in ear earphone ( those that hang downwards NOT over the ears ones ). I hope you can help me pick one ASAP.Rig: Samsung Galaxy S3Type of Music: Mostly hip hop, metal and sometimes rock and pop.Other Requirements: MUST be worn hanging downwards and comfortable. Built in mic and volume control would be a bonus however if the sound quality is really good, I wouldn't mind dropping those. Noise isolation should be great (for usage on public transport, noisy locations) and comfortable (long hours of use)Budget: Singapore Dollars $200~Can increase budget by about $50 if its really worth the cash.Thank you very much.

Up. Please help :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #3,232 of 5,364
Hello Guys

I been lurking here for two years now and I thought I may start posting now. Actually, I need some advice on choosing a closed back headphone so I hope it doesnt bore you.

I am looking for a closed back headphone I can use while commuting to work. So far I came up with Creative Aurvana Live, SRH440, Koss ProDJ100, Denon HP700 and Sony MDR-V6. My considerations are:

- I mostly listen to Classic Rock, Prog Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Stoner and some Jazz and Classical. I have a pair of Grado SR80i and while I enjoy the sound from them they seem too agressive for me to listen to for more than 15 minutes. So maybe I can describe the sound signature I am looking for as a less aggressive and warmer Grado sound with a little bit of more bass.

- Commuting in Istanbul where I am based is a very noisy activity. Therefore, isolation is pretty important for me (maybe I should eliminate CAL already based on what I read here). 

- I will be using an iphone 4 and a sansa clip zip as a source. I have a mixed collection of MP3 and FLAC files.

- Id prefer not to use an amp but if I have to I already have a JDS Labs cmoybb[size=small] v2.03 and would like to use that.[/size]

[size=small]- Last but not least, the price. I really cannot go over 100 USD since I will be paying a hefty sum for shipping to Turkey anyway.[/size]

[size=small]Feel free to recommend headphones other than the ones I mentioned. Thanks in advance.[/size]

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #3,234 of 5,364
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs $50 or less and I am totally stuck in analysis paralysis. For the last year or so I have used Klipsch S2s and I thought these were really the best things since sliced bread. However, I noticed that vocals would get lost a lot of the time, and the reviews citing these IEMs as confused is correct. When it comes to music, I listen to absolutely everything, so me telling you what I like won't work. What I can say is that number one, I am hard on my IEMs so the build quality has to be very good. The reason I am looking for new phones is because one side of my S2s is dead and this is the way my headphones usually die.

Number two, I do not like sibilance at all. It is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Clear treble, absolutely, but when it starts to get harsh I have to stop listening. If I look at how I adjust my EQ settings, It is a mix of warm and bass. The sound I want is hard to get at my price point, I want bass, but not boomy bass. Is it possible to have tight, punchy bass that might extend into sub bass? I don't like muddy sounding anything. I will also be using these for my laptop so that includes gaming and watching Youtube videos. So a clear, detailed mid is also important. I know I am asking for the stars here, but I am hoping there's a compromise somewhere. 

I am currently wavering between the VSonic VC02 and the Astrotec AM-50, but I am open to suggestions. I love the idea of the VC02s because of the detachable cable and the idea that they are detailed. I'm really wondering about the bass response on them. The song "Diamond" by Klint is a real great example of how I want my sound to work together. http://www.last.fm/music/Klint/_/Diamond The bass is strong, with resonance, but it is also very detailed. There's highs that have the potential to be sibilant, and the mids around the 3:00 mark add another layer that can complicate things. I want to be able to listen to this track, really experience the low bass without it being muddy but not have it overshadow everything else. 

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. What are your recommendations? I don't mind that I won't find the perfect IEM in this price bracket, I just want something good that is going to be an overall performer because of being mostly used on my laptop without having to sacrifice too much low end. Thanks so much for any insights!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,236 of 5,364
Thank you very much for the reply. I'll check them out.  
Also, has anyone tried the Brainwavz M3, Vsonic GR06, Vsonic VC02, or the Sony MH1-C? I've been looking around but I can't find how these compare with each other, especially in terms of soundstage.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #3,237 of 5,364
I am looking for my first pair of IEMs.  I have been bitten by this audio bug.  This is my second headphone purchase this month.  I am looking for something different than what I have now.

Budget -$200
Music- 70s and 80s Rock

I don't know enough yet to know exactly what I want but I consider this my expermental stage anyway.  This will be the road to find out what I want.

Currently I own two set of headphones, the only decent ones I have ever owned.  They are the ATH A-700 and ATH A-900.

I like them both.  They sound wonderful to me in the upper ranges.  I wish they had more bass.  The bass isn't horrible it just seems quiet or not as hard hitting as my ears seem to yearn for.

So I guess this first pair of IEM's should be bassy and sound good listening to Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, and Rush.  

I don't mind new or used, I do enjoy getting a deal but am always willing to pay extra for "the best".

What should I be looking at?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3,238 of 5,364
Recently bought the Hifiman RE-262, but due to some great misfortune, I've had to send them back. The midrange on those earphones is what I really enjoyed from what I can recall, but I felt that the bass could use a little more kick to it. Maybe it's just my poorly educated ears or it was the unit itself. Nonetheless, I've read some reviews about the SE215 Limited Edition and have heard great remarks about EPH-100 and GR-07. I'm hoping that someone here can give me a concise comparison between these three earphones. Or if there are any IEMs along similar lines worth investing in; I've got a little more than $200 towards a new pair of IEMs. I also own the SRH840 whose sound signature satisfies me thus far. But in terms of these IEMs, I'm hoping for a wide soundstage with a bass similar to the SRH840 or a little 'bassier' without leaking into the midrange, and overall, IEMs that really bring out vocals.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3,239 of 5,364
Quote:
Recently bought the Hifiman RE-262, but due to some great misfortune, I've had to send them back. The midrange on those earphones is what I really enjoyed from what I can recall, but I felt that the bass could use a little more kick to it. Maybe it's just my poorly educated ears or it was the unit itself. Nonetheless, I've read some reviews about the SE215 Limited Edition and have heard great remarks about EPH-100 and GR-07. I'm hoping that someone here can give me a concise comparison between these three earphones. Or if there are any IEMs along similar lines worth investing in; I've got a little more than $200 towards a new pair of IEMs. I also own the SRH840 whose sound signature satisfies me thus far. But in terms of these IEMs, I'm hoping for a wide soundstage with a bass similar to the SRH840 or a little 'bassier' without leaking into the midrange, and overall, IEMs that really bring out vocals.

People need to get over this IEMS and wide soundstage thing, especially on a lower budget. That's really just not happening. Haven't heard the SRH840 but I think I remember them being closed, so their soundstage probably isn't great either. That said, the GR07 is pretty balanced with decent vocals. "Soundstage" on them is pretty good for IEMS but nothing spectacular. The 262 were the best mids I heard under $200 in IEMS. The 215's should satisfy your bass cravings, but their clarity leaves something to be desired. On the plus side they isolate well and have a removable cable. EPH-100, I think people liked the bass on that and thought it was good for trance. PFE112's are good too, but discontinued and maybe a little overpriced these days with all the new offerings.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,240 of 5,364
I have been using the B&W P5's as my portable headphone since last summer and I am pretty happy with them. Unfortunately, my dog got after them and now I need to replace both ear pads, which will end up costing around ~$90 with shipping. I am wondering, however, if any of you think it would be worth it to spring for a new set of portable headphones, i.e. HD 25, DT 1350, V-MODA Crossfade, etc. I will probably replace the ear pads no matter what, but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether there are some other portable headphones out there in the $200-300 range that are so much better than the P5's that they would be worth looking into. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back