Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,971 of 5,364
Hey guys, I've been looking for some new earphones and I decided on the Shure SE215. I'm also considering the Shure SE215 limited edition earphones, and I'd like to know what you guys think of each compared to each other. I know the bass is stronger on the LE, but I'm not much of a basshead. Also if anyone has any suggestions for good IEMs under $100, that'd be awesome

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,972 of 5,364
Thank you for all the suggestions.  The Heir 4.ai and the UE900 look the most promising in terms of the sound signature I am looking for.  What is getting in the way of purchasing either one of those is the upcoming release of the Hifiman RE-600.  The RE-272 did not workout because Hifiman sent the wrong sized ear tips (twice).  Despite that I do love my Hifiman HE-500 headphones.  If the RE-600 has the sound signature I like, then I will audition a pair.  Guess it is going to be three times a charm or three strikes you're out for a Hifiman IEM.  LOL

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,974 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't mind the mids being recessed some (but not too much).  Would there be an option you would recommend more for me in this case?

Sorry, have only heard demos so not in the right position to give actual suggestions for that. Just saying that the JH5 might not be the best choice (felt even the UE900/PFE232 were even better).

Maybe someone with customs experience will come along here?

Quote:
Hi,

Looking for IEMs around $50-150
To replace my Galaxy S2 stock earplugs.

Sound isolation:
Resonably good want to have minimum leakage whilst able to still hear some sounds around me.

Usage:
These IEMs will be used with MP3/FLAC/M4A depending on where the music is purchased from.
Target is for portable use whilst carrying out walking and minor gaming, but not likely to be used on premises they will be more 'going out' type.

Quality:
I listen to all rounder music so that could be classical through to dubstep, usually on a random song list, so i prefer more natural bass than gimmicky/muddy bass if that makes sense to you.
Clarity is a big deal to me.
Would like it if cables could be replaced without getting technical.
Definitely wish to have durability in cable area to withstand some tugs/unfortunate events and they likely will get wrapped up in pocket as
on/off premises is random and i move site-to-site.

Used in conjunction with:
Background: Work gives me a phone to use as a DAP (Digital Audio Player) and rotates these out so i am not looking for a 'best fit S2 design'
Currently Galaxy S2 and FiiO E17 to control volume.

Thanks.

Clarity, detachable cables, durable, all-rounder - while I really have not heard them (huge disclaimer), the VC02 seem to fit at least the detachable cable criteria at a much lower price. Sound impressions seem to be in line with ljokerl's review, you should definitely take a look at that. At that price, there aren't many units with detachable cables.

Quote:
Thank you for all the suggestions.  The Heir 4.ai and the UE900 look the most promising in terms of the sound signature I am looking for.  What is getting in the way of purchasing either one of those is the upcoming release of the Hifiman RE-600.  The RE-272 did not workout because Hifiman sent the wrong sized ear tips (twice).  Despite that I do love my Hifiman HE-500 headphones.  If the RE-600 has the sound signature I like, then I will audition a pair.  Guess it is going to be three times a charm or three strikes you're out for a Hifiman IEM.  LOL

Sadly, yep. Did I ever mention I had to send the RE0 back three times? Because I sent the RE0 back three times.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,975 of 5,364
Quote:
TwinQY

Clarity, detachable cables, durable, all-rounder - while I really have not heard them (huge disclaimer), the VC02 seem to fit at least the detachable cable criteria at a much lower price. Sound impressions seem to be in line with ljokerl's review, you should definitely take a look at that. At that price, there aren't many units with detachable cables.

Ok sorry i might have over done it...

What i am mainly after is durability and quality, but my pairs usually have cables that break after a while from chafing and screwing up not on purpose but just general wrapping up and making safe the long cable, as for detachable if we drop that and see what comes out...

anyhow as for the review i found that now that you have eluded me to it so ill look through that too thanks i was looking at header of page about the link to click for recommendations so i didn't see it before.

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,976 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been looking for some new earphones and I decided on the Shure SE215. I'm also considering the Shure SE215 limited edition earphones, and I'd like to know what you guys think of each compared to each other. I know the bass is stronger on the LE, but I'm not much of a basshead. Also if anyone has any suggestions for good IEMs under $100, that'd be awesome

Ive owned both. I wouldn't say there is really a big difference between the two. I'd like to listen to the regular 215 again and see if that thought changes, but the sound is nearly the same with maybe a little low end oomph in the LE. If you don't like too much bass, then the regular SE215 will be better than the LE, but it still has plenty of oomph down low. It does have a wonderfully pleasant and warm sound to it which I like, but if you are into classical music it might not have the sound stage and delicacy to cope with the upper end of the sonic range that you might want.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,977 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a pair of IEMs, will mostly be using them for the gym and walking around.

Price range: $100 - $125
Color ideally black
Must have high durability as these may go through some hard times at the gym (cable can't pull/rip easy, ear phones must stay in)
Must be bassy but also have good clarity
Mostly listen to trance but also rap, electro & prog house, techno.

Right now I see the Shure SE215, but I am trying to see if there are any other recommendations before I pull the trigger on them.

I do think the SE215 would be good for you as well. I have used two different pairs at the gym and they have never let me down. The clarity isn't incredible as the treble is very laid back, but the midrange clarity is damned good. The bass is more than adequate as well, they are very tough, and I've never had issues of them backing out even while running. I honestly couldn't recommend anything more for the kind of thing you are asking for.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,978 of 5,364
Quote:

SE-215 would be a good choice, or you can also consider Klipsch X10, which I consider to be one of the best, if not the best IEM under $100

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,980 of 5,364
Thanks TwinQY for your suggestion on the vsonic vc02. They sound right up my alley. I'm only concerned with some reports of low build quality coupled with china customer service. I had a real bad experience (and a good one too) with China sellers. Maybe I'll try eBay...

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,981 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks TwinQY for your suggestion on the vsonic vc02. They sound right up my alley. I'm only concerned with some reports of low build quality coupled with china customer service. I had a real bad experience (and a good one too) with China sellers. Maybe I'll try eBay...

While build shouldn't be a huge problem for VSonic in general (can't say much about a model I haven't seen though), I've gotten some exceedingly slow (but still quality) service from lendmeuears. If by any chance you were from Canada, I did ask Headphone Bar whether they would stock these during January, and, while best not to quote me on this, they did say they were waiting for them to get in. It's been 2 months now so not sure about the whole situation.

Anyways, lendmeuears would be slow/cumbersome, but they are personally nice enough.

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on: 
Sony XBA-30 vs. UE Triple Fi10

Thanks in advance.

Apparently the XBA-30s are different from the 3's by a small margin? Can only say that the Sonys are warmer and have a slight metallic tinge that focuses itself on one particular area while the TF10s have a slight sense of that but spread throughout the treble. TF10s are leaner, punchy and fast bass, while the XBAs are more organic but still BA-y in sound. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2,982 of 5,364
Looking for a good intro to the solid sound world. Budget is ideally around $100, can push to $150 or higher of it's really worthwhile or makes a significant difference.

Needs: portable, solid sound. I wouldn't mind an IEM with a mic for calls, but I can get by without one if a solid choice lacks it. No concerns about a gym or rugged environment. I'd prefer a quality build, but they won't get abused.

Music style: mostly rap and rock. Rock can go from alternative and grunge to acoustic rock, to something more on the lines of folk rock (Mumford and Sons, for example). I'll do jazz and classical once in a while as well.

Preferred sound: This is my intro to this world, so it's hard for me to say. I'll guess at balance, with a bit of basshead. I do enjoy my bass, but I don't want it to overpower anything. If I turn on Alice In Chains Unplugged, I want to hear the bass drum and the bass guitar (sucker for bass guitar!) but still catch the acoustic rhythm/lead guitars. I enjoy the treble on cymbals, but don't want anything treble heavy at all. I'm huge on vocals, so I want quality in the mid range, but again I don't want it drowning anything else out. If I put on Mumford or the Piano Guys, I want to hear the fiddle, violin, cello, etc. Love my strings.

If it matters: will be listening from my N7 and HTC One X. That's it. I do like quality sound and can spot something out of place from a mile away, probably because I ran sound boards for a few years.

Anyway, hope that helps and isn't too much info, or too demanding.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2,984 of 5,364
Quote:
Still looking for a response on post #2852, I'm looking at the JVC HA-FXT90's, or I might even hike up my price range to 200 for some Fischer DBA-02 MKII, if they're worth it

Quote:
Looking for a good intro to the solid sound world. Budget is ideally around $100, can push to $150 or higher of it's really worthwhile or makes a significant difference.

Needs: portable, solid sound. I wouldn't mind an IEM with a mic for calls, but I can get by without one if a solid choice lacks it. No concerns about a gym or rugged environment. I'd prefer a quality build, but they won't get abused.

Music style: mostly rap and rock. Rock can go from alternative and grunge to acoustic rock, to something more on the lines of folk rock (Mumford and Sons, for example). I'll do jazz and classical once in a while as well.

Preferred sound: This is my intro to this world, so it's hard for me to say. I'll guess at balance, with a bit of basshead. I do enjoy my bass, but I don't want it to overpower anything. If I turn on Alice In Chains Unplugged, I want to hear the bass drum and the bass guitar (sucker for bass guitar!) but still catch the acoustic rhythm/lead guitars. I enjoy the treble on cymbals, but don't want anything treble heavy at all. I'm huge on vocals, so I want quality in the mid range, but again I don't want it drowning anything else out. If I put on Mumford or the Piano Guys, I want to hear the fiddle, violin, cello, etc. Love my strings.

If it matters: will be listening from my N7 and HTC One X. That's it. I do like quality sound and can spot something out of place from a mile away, probably because I ran sound boards for a few years.

Anyway, hope that helps and isn't too much info, or too demanding.

Sorry guys, distinctly remember quoting yours on part 2 of mega-post, but haven't been able to upload it.

@mironov quoted yours too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back