Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,941 of 5,364
I'm interested in what others might think is the right direction for me to go in terms of a good IEM. I have now owned or listened to a fairly wide variety of IEMs and headphones including SE215 (blue), Heir 3.Ai, Ultrasone Pro 900, Sennheiser Momentum, Panasonic HJE900, GR07, SE535 red, W4, etc.

I have sold off the Pro 900 because the treble is too harsh for me, the Momentum (for sale!) is too metallic sounding to me (though I'm not sure if that is the right way to describe it), Heir 3.Ai was a great one, but I just felt there was something left to be desired (soundstage wasn't that great) and it was a *little bit* hot on the treble for my liking, though I LOVE the way BA's handle strings. The SE535 red and almost all of Shure's products are way too mid-forward for me, and the W4, while nice, was just a little too laid back for me. I do think it'd be great for use with classical music though. I will go for something more neutral sometime in the future. For now, I'm looking more for fun.

I do love my SE215 (blue version) for its plenty deep bass response, pretty nice mids, and inoffensive treble. I'd like it if the treble wasn't rolled off up top, but other than that, I am perfectly happy with the presentation of it. I also love my Panasonic HJE-900's. They are very resolving for dynamics with good lower end, but the treble can be a little hot and fatiguing on long flights and such. Still, these are my two go-to earphones that I'll never get rid of. The only problem is that I tried out my friend's GR07 and LOVED the soundstage. I had my soundstage epiphany (never really experienced it before with IEMs) and now I can't live without it!

So... what would head-fi recommend for an IEM which can satisfy a bass-lover while retaining inoffensive, non-fatiguing, yet extended treble; appropriate mid-range; and have superb soundstage all with good resolution? I am thinking it might be interesting to try the IE8/IE80. Seems like the treble would be my main issue with those. I honestly don't know what else to look at. Help! :)

Perhaps you could pick up a pair of (refurbished) IE7's. It would get you the sennheiser soundstage (which is phenomenal I must admit) for a fairly low price. Also not as boomy as the 8 and treble is a little relaxed (which may solve your issue with hot trebles). Just a mere suggestion!

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,942 of 5,364
Hi, I've been looking at custom IEMs recently and and planning to buy some soon.  I'm looking at the sub $500 sets and listen mainly to progressive metal (Dream Theater and the like). 
If I had to rank importance of bass/mids/highs I would say mids > bass > treble.  I've mainly been looking at the JH5.  It seems people are saying this is right down the JH5's alley.  I haven't seen many comments on the UM Marvel though, so I am curious what people think about that one if someone could comment on it's sound. 

So what do you think would be my best option at this point?

Thank you

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,945 of 5,364
TAX RETURN TIME!

I've already bought a pair of Klipsch Image X10's, as they were on a huge sale, for 89USD. 

My fiance and I will decide who likes them more, and I may buy a second pair for myself on my judgement when they arrive thursday or friday.
In the meantime, I'd love some options;

As a man who loves my Sennheiser HD595's for their overall clarity and impressive soundstage but who still appreciates a bit more bass kick (Without it drowning or grossly overpowering anything else), what would you recommend me for under 150?
Or a combo of IEM and amp for 150ish? 

They are to be driven from my phone, a Galaxy S3, through a DAMNED impressive new player I came across called "Neutron MP", which can sample 64bit and has preamp function....

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,946 of 5,364
G.A. time. 

I'm currently using Thinksound TS02 IEMs during my daily commute. They are fun, have nice bass and are somewhat clear and easy to fit. At times they can be a little congested and the soundstage is quite small.

Any recommendations on IEMs that have similar qualities but with better soundstage and instrument separation(?). I'd preferably like something comfortable and with a detachable cord this time. No need for an inline remote. Music: most genres. Budget: $200-$300 give or take. Thanks..  

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,947 of 5,364
Quote:
Midbassy. Slightly lacking in subbass. But the mids are forward as promised, and tip rolling really does wonders (he has tip comparison measurements up as well for them)
The midbass isn't as bad as it would seem. Ever since he mentioned the impedance adapter, I've been using it and encouraging others to do the same, flattens it out a lot. 75ohm is a good compromise between battery-siphoning and practicality. Might need a portable amp if adding more impedance though.

right, it's the midbass that I'm worried about... 
redface.gif
 I think the graph looks kind of similar to Shure SE535 which I also found a bit bassy.
not sure how well it can be EQ'd down either, if it is a problem.
sorry for being so picky, I'm a bit tired of being disappointed with audio purchases.
I heard the impedance mod only increases bass level, which would be problematic.

by the way, since you seem to know his blog - have you tried his UE900 mod? or would that perhaps be even bassier?

thanks a lot for answering my concerns btw, much appreciated! 

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,948 of 5,364
Hello, 

I'd appreciate an advice for an upcoming purchase that I'm planning to make soon. 

Last time I used this forum I got a fantastic recommendation and bought Westone's UM2s. That was few years ago and I've been thrilled when using them - but my wires got broken and after an impromptu repair by myself they do not work as they used to + I've run out of the the wire space I can cut and melt :/

Here are my general requirements:
  1. I use the headphones at work for music. I must have very good isolation because a) it helps me to stay focused while coding b) I don't want to disturb other people. The quality of the music is important as well - I don't have much experience, but when I was forced to switch back to my substitute $40 full headphones I just can bare the difference :/ Not sure if you need to know the genre - but it's mostly jazz, house and occasional electronic sounds.
  1. I use the headphones while commuting. I listen mostly to podcasts and audiobooks - so it's human voice not music and the seal is very important as well - because the bloody trains are so loud and I don't want to hurt my hearing with going full volume. UM2s were quite good with that.

I figured that if I liked UM2 I should stick with Westone - the problem is that after my problems with the wires I want something that have detachable / exchangeable ones ... and the new Westone 4 R-Series do that - but for $500 ... which is just simply too much for me. 

$200 ... maybe $300 is all I can spare for the new kit. 

I would really appreciate any suggestions and thank you in advance

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,949 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I've been looking at custom IEMs recently and and planning to buy some soon.  I'm looking at the sub $500 sets and listen mainly to progressive metal (Dream Theater and the like). 
If I had to rank importance of bass/mids/highs I would say mids > bass > treble.  I've mainly been looking at the JH5.  It seems people are saying this is right down the JH5's alley.  I haven't seen many comments on the UM Marvel though, so I am curious what people think about that one if someone could comment on it's sound. 

So what do you think would be my best option at this point?

Thank you

I've had no experience in CIEM so unfortunately can't help you with this one sport...

Maybe TwinQY can?

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,950 of 5,364
Quote:
I want some IEMS thats under 100 that has veery nice bass and also veery nice treble so when i phone calls the voice sounds crisp and clear. So what is a good IEM to get?

Please define "very nice treble"? that has a lot of meaning, do you mean smooth and non-fatiguing, or bright and sparkly?

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,951 of 5,364
Quote:
TAX RETURN TIME!

I've already bought a pair of Klipsch Image X10's, as they were on a huge sale, for 89USD. 

My fiance and I will decide who likes them more, and I may buy a second pair for myself on my judgement when they arrive thursday or friday.
In the meantime, I'd love some options;

As a man who loves my Sennheiser HD595's for their overall clarity and impressive soundstage but who still appreciates a bit more bass kick (Without it drowning or grossly overpowering anything else), what would you recommend me for under 150?
Or a combo of IEM and amp for 150ish? 

They are to be driven from my phone, a Galaxy S3, through a DAMNED impressive new player I came across called "Neutron MP", which can sample 64bit and has preamp function....

I'd say get another X10, or if you want to be different so you can swap with your fiancee from time to time, something else that I like for around that money is UE700 (from time to time they are on sale for $90 at Amazon), and Fischer Audio Silver Bullet.

For amp, consider C&C BH, it has a soundstage switch that actually works...

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,952 of 5,364
Quote:
G.A. time. 

I'm currently using Thinksound TS02 IEMs during my daily commute. They are fun, have nice bass and are somewhat clear and easy to fit. At times they can be a little congested and the soundstage is quite small.

Any recommendations on IEMs that have similar qualities but with better soundstage and instrument separation(?). I'd preferably like something comfortable and with a detachable cord this time. No need for an inline remote. Music: most genres. Budget: $200-$300 give or take. Thanks..  

Heir 3.Ai, read up on it, absolutely superb...

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,953 of 5,364
Quote:
I want some IEMS thats under 100 that has veery nice bass and also veery nice treble so when i phone calls the voice sounds crisp and clear. So what is a good IEM to get?

You sound like you're looking for a v shaped signature...

You could try the Beyerdynamic XP2, from the XP series, XP1 for bass, 2 for balanced, 3 for treble (really forward trebles) . It goes for about US$58.

The Shure SE215 is about US$99 if I'm not wrong. You can also consider the Limited Edition blue SE215s.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,954 of 5,364
Quote:

I'd say get another X10, or if you want to be different so you can swap with your fiancee from time to time, something else that I like for around that money is UE700 (from time to time they are on sale for $90 at Amazon), and Fischer Audio Silver Bullet.

For amp, consider C&C BH, it has a soundstage switch that actually works...

UE700's list for 150 and are SELLING for 170..

What else, lol?

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,955 of 5,364
Looking for a pair of IEMs, will mostly be using them for the gym and walking around.

Price range: $100 - $125
Color ideally black
Must have high durability as these may go through some hard times at the gym (cable can't pull/rip easy, ear phones must stay in)
Must be bassy but also have good clarity
Mostly listen to trance but also rap, electro & prog house, techno.

Right now I see the Shure SE215, but I am trying to see if there are any other recommendations before I pull the trigger on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back