Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,882 of 5,364
PART 4/4 (reserved)

(also, a short aside)
>- I've been scrounging the thread here lately, and have been find more and more of these two instances here:
1. Either someone recommends something they've just recently gotten or have owned for a particularly long time without owning/hearing much else
2. Someone blantantly recommends something they haven't heard.

The former is pretty rampant on the forums already, but it's not like we can take personal bias out of the equation when we're talking about subjective, personal recommendations here. But when someone uses one IEM/can in particular as a blanket statement for every single recommendation out there, it's more of a disservice to the people you're trying to help, more than anything. We're all limited by our experience, so this really isn't too much of an issue. 

The latter is much more grevious. It is stated directly in the TOS that people are not to give advice on stuff you haven't heard. It's fine if you've think something might be worth the other person's time to research, just put a disclaimer that you haven't heard them and a link to some research material, but...
In the case that there are some instances where people feint experience with the gear. As in pretend they've actually heard it. Don't do this.
Not saying that this might be happening (hopefully it doesn't), just that there is a possibility but it'll be pretty obvious when this is being done. Either they would describe physical attributes that don't exist on the gear in question, their statements are inconsistent with previous ones, etc, etc.
Don't know what they'd call that, but I call it lying.
Anyways, I won't go into too much detail, if the mods find this to be slander or off-base, feel free to delete it. Just saying that people shouldn't do it, nothing else.
The gist of it is, when reading and asking for recs, always think critically of the info you're getting. Don't take every word for granted. We're all but mere fallible humans here.

Anyways, just to put that out there. Will post the other three parts in the morning.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2,883 of 5,364

Need a pair of earphones or IEMs for walking and gym time.

For use with a Sandisk Sansa Clip+. The earphones that came with that are on the way out as of yesterday, and besides, I know - in theory anyway - that almost anything would be superior to them.

I have really no experience with headphones of any kind to speak of, other than a few times in studios, and then as a musician, not a sound engineer. Speakers, I got into a while back, but have since settled for something that "does the trick"... for now. Was quite fond of some older mid-to-high end British models in particular, in case it's relevant.

What I'm after is something that sounds significantly better than stock earphones (as noted, probably a given), and - I hope I am using useful terms here - qualities like: lush, musical, sweet, immersive... and also non-fatiguing, not harsh, not sibilant, not boomy, not muddy. A nice balance across the spectrum is desirable, but I suspect not necessarily attainable without blowing the rather limited budget (see below).

I mostly listen to prog and metal via the Sansa, though there could be just about anything else in the mix at times. Budget would be preferably under $100, but that might depend somewhat on just how persuasive a given product (or sales pitch!) happens to be. :wink:

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2,884 of 5,364
Thanks for replying! I realize this is a great portable headphone, but I'm not falling for the design. Are they really that much more comfortable than the esw9's? I reckon it's kind of foolish to go for design over function, but I just can't help it. Also how do the headphones compare in size and actual looks? A picture can only tell so much. Design and comfort are huge for me! 

I'll try to give you some insight on the esw9 comfort and fit. They are comfortable as in a sense that they have lamb skin earpads and the head band is well cushion and covered in leather. They are also very light. IMO, I find them very comfortable after the third week of usage, but that is if you are aware that they are still indeed on ear and some can find on ear uncomforble in general. As for the size of the cup, average size ears, it will cover the whole ear unless you have unattached ear lobs then that will stick out just a little. But although they do cover your ears they will never the less sit on your ears. The clamp force is mild but close to average as far as on ears goes after the third week. For me I can wear them 2 - 3 hrs. Straight and I have stick out ears like how monkeys do:p. I read others can wear them much longer. I find them good for portable as the ear cup swivel flat and they are light with short cables, just get a hard case for them unless you are not rough then the bag that it come with might work.

I haven't tried the hd 25 yet so no comment on comparison there as far as fit and comfort.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,885 of 5,364
TwinQY... You are a god among men.
Thank you for taking all this time to answer our questions. And you have said what I've been thinking for the past couple days as I've waited for something other than more questions to show up on this thread.
The forums don't feel quite as cold as they did before. :) Thanks again.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,886 of 5,364
Hi, quick question for Klipsch S4 owners.  

Which Shure  'Olive' foam tips fit these the best?  I've been trying to look for an alternative to the Comply foam tips.  

Will these work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PN3W6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,887 of 5,364
Hi I'm looking for a pair of IEM to really cancel out the noise while I study at school.

I need it to fit comfortably as I study for extended periods of time.  It needs to block out all types of sounds like talking, whispering, and loud typing.  I would rate noise cancelling ability over sound quality, but having both would be nice.

I'm currently looking at the etymotics hf5.

My price range is 150.

Thanks

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,888 of 5,364
Hey guys,

So, a few months ago, my package containing replacement SE425's was stolen. As I'm looking for a replacement pair of headphones, I decided to *maybe* branch out and look for a few other models. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I wound up with the GR07's from Vsonic. At first, I found them to be incredibly comfortable, but sound wise, they did not fit my needs at all. They sound qutie muddy, especially down low, even compared to my X10's. 

I think I've broken them in enough (about ~20-ish hours), but I'm willing to try breaking them in further.

However, in the mean time, it got me thinking into looking at other IEM's in the price range of about $250. I loved my SE425's (and I even paid a pretty penny to get them replaced since those ended up breaking). Things sounded really smooth and well put into place. Maybe my iPhone just couldn't the Vsonic's without an amp? I tried using my Fiio E17, but they sounded weak down in the bottom ranges.

As far as my needs go; I produce electronic music (trance, IDM, and a lot of other genres). I have monitors, and DT880's, but I do like to use my IEM's for production. The 425's obviously weren't the most natural pair of headphones, but I loved the kick to them. 

So I'm looking into suggestions. I did read the giant massive IEM thread, but personal suggestions are welcome as well. 

Thanks!

Neotriple

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2,889 of 5,364
Hi guys, I'm new to all this technical stuff surrounding headphones and whatnot, so please be kind :D

I'm currently (or upto a week ago) using some Philips SHE5920's (loss of the earbuds forces my search). I love the sound of them, and they give me the bass I want. I am finding it hard to get some more at a reasonable price, $16.99 is the cheapest I've found them, but after factoring in the shipping from the US (I'm in the UK) it's just a silly price ($55).

So, my question is this. Can anyone recommend some bassy earphones with an in-line volume remote? Price limit of $45 or £30? Even this is a lot compared to the original £9.99 I paid for mine 5/6 years ago, and don't want the missus finding out I've spent more than even £20 on new ones.

As I say, I love the sound of the Philips, and believe that the surround sound dynamic that Philips have put into them has given it that feel that I like, but I'm willing to try others.

I have found the Philips SHE6000/10 which look similair and have the surround sound feature and I believe has the same size driver, for £20, but I just wondered what other options were out there :)

Thank you all in advance.

Craig

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,890 of 5,364
Hi.  This is my first post on Head Fi.  I am looking for a pair of earphones to use unamped with an iPhone 5 and iPod Classic (2nd generation).  I prefer a balanced sound signature with good instrument separation, treble that sparkles is a must, bass that is not bumped up, midrange that is not too forward although I prefer forward to recessed mids.  The earphones should sound good with all music genres as opposed to an earphone that is music genre specific.  The thing is I listen to all types of music although I tend to favor indie rock.  My music collection consists mostly of apple lossless (from ripped CD's), iTunes downloads and mp3 files (most of which are 320 kbps).  I prefer an earphone with a detachable cable.  Comfort and build quality are also important.  Accessories is the least important criteria.  I am looking to spend about $500.  

I've been on a mission since last fall to find two pairs of audiophile quality earphones.  The earphones I have auditioned and returned thus far: 

Etymotics 4PT (sounded too thin/rather uncomfortable, liked the accessories though)
Bowers & Wilkins C5 (too much bass, uncomfortable)
Sennheiser IE80 (too much bass even at the minimum setting although I liked the sound stage, very comfortable)
VSonic GR07 MK II (too much sibilance even after 100 hours of burn in, kind of ugly looking, no comfort issues though)
HiFiMan RE-272 (not enough bass, mushroom tips were the wrong size, too small, wouldn't fit on the stem, customer service sent another package of mushroom tips, again same problem, too small, mushroom tips would not fit on the stem.  Out of frustration I returned the earphones).  

Right now I have a pair of Shure SE-535 and the Westone 4R.  The Westone 4R are definitely keepers because overall I love the sound signature.  Also the Westone 4R are very comfortable.  I wanted to love the Shure SE-535's because Tyll of Inner Fidelity thinks they are awesome (usually agree with everything he says about audio).  Also I think the Shure SE-535 looks great especially the bronze ones.  The thing is I just can't find the sweet spot with the SE-535s.  I've tried various eartips to try to get the sparkle in the treble.  Only the yellow foamies bring out the sparkle to a certain degree but they are very uncomfortable.  The comply tips are the most comfortable but they hinder the treble.  I bought the 6N OFHC Silver Plated Shure upgrade cable hoping it would bring out the treble.  Big mistake.  The only difference I can hear between the aftermarket and stock cable is the aftermarket cable has annoying microphonics.  As a last resort I have used the Equalizer app to try to get the treble to sparkle.  Even that doesn't work.  Either the treble is rolled off on the SE-535 or my hearing is rolled off on the upper end.  I am 58 years old (lol).  The thing is the Westone 4R have plenty of sparkle in the treble, even without being EQ'd.

The Westone 4R are not without faults.  Sometimes I find the 4R a little boring, wishing it sounded a little more energetic, lively if that makes any sense.  So it all comes down to I just want an earphone to balance out the shortcomings I have with the Westone 4R.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you,.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,891 of 5,364
Quote:
[size=11.0pt]Hi.  I ride the NYC subways and I’m looking for an IEM with good isolation but will also not leak sound to the person next to me.  I was leaning towards the GR07, but was concerned that the dynamic drivers would be more likely to allow sound to escape.  However, it seems the units with BA drivers (in my price range) sacrifice bass and SQ.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Priorities/Specifics are:[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Music: varied, but mostly rock or techno; [/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Budget: prefer $150 but up to $200 max;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Source: portable mp3 player or android smartphone (controls not required; amp not an option);[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Sound: a little bassy but not overwhelming;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Tips: prefer foam, but flexible;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]No leakage![/size]

[size=11.0pt]Would the GR07 work for me?  Are there better options?[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Thanks.[/size]

Quote:
GR07 will leak a bit, I recommend UE700 for you...

Thanks. I looked at the UE700. However, I'm concerned with the durability of the new version released last year by Logitech.  I've read the new design of the plug promotes wire strain and is prone to separation from the wire casing.  (Not that I'm planning on abusing these, but it is for day-to-day use on the subway.) 

Legitimate concern?  Any other options?

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #2,892 of 5,364
Quote:
I'll try to give you some insight on the esw9 comfort and fit. They are comfortable as in a sense that they have lamb skin earpads and the head band is well cushion and covered in leather. They are also very light. IMO, I find them very comfortable after the third week of usage, but that is if you are aware that they are still indeed on ear and some can find on ear uncomforble in general. As for the size of the cup, average size ears, it will cover the whole ear unless you have unattached ear lobs then that will stick out just a little. But although they do cover your ears they will never the less sit on your ears. The clamp force is mild but close to average as far as on ears goes after the third week. For me I can wear them 2 - 3 hrs. Straight and I have stick out ears like how monkeys do:p. I read others can wear them much longer. I find them good for portable as the ear cup swivel flat and they are light with short cables, just get a hard case for them unless you are not rough then the bag that it come with might work.

I haven't tried the hd 25 yet so no comment on comparison there as far as fit and comfort.

Thanks! It seems people have very mixed feelings when it comes to comfort with these headphones and I'll just have to try them. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,893 of 5,364
Hello everybody!
I am burning my news HD 25-1 II.
I can recommend these sennheiser (never I had before sennheiser), good bass, mid recesed and good high also detailed definition. Strong construction and portable.
For electronic music are fun.

Cheers

P.D.(Sorry for my poor english)

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,894 of 5,364
Quote:

Need a pair of earphones or IEMs for walking and gym time.

For use with a Sandisk Sansa Clip+. The earphones that came with that are on the way out as of yesterday, and besides, I know - in theory anyway - that almost anything would be superior to them.

I have really no experience with headphones of any kind to speak of, other than a few times in studios, and then as a musician, not a sound engineer. Speakers, I got into a while back, but have since settled for something that "does the trick"... for now. Was quite fond of some older mid-to-high end British models in particular, in case it's relevant.

What I'm after is something that sounds significantly better than stock earphones (as noted, probably a given), and - I hope I am using useful terms here - qualities like: lush, musical, sweet, immersive... and also non-fatiguing, not harsh, not sibilant, not boomy, not muddy. A nice balance across the spectrum is desirable, but I suspect not necessarily attainable without blowing the rather limited budget (see below).

I mostly listen to prog and metal via the Sansa, though there could be just about anything else in the mix at times. Budget would be preferably under $100, but that might depend somewhat on just how persuasive a given product (or sales pitch!) happens to be. :wink:

Have a look at Shure 215's - balanced with a slight emphasis on bass, and fit and seal are excellent. Would be good for gym...

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,895 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, quick question for Klipsch S4 owners.  

Which Shure  'Olive' foam tips fit these the best?  I've been trying to look for an alternative to the Comply foam tips.  

Will these work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PN3W6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yep, that;s the one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back