Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,866 of 5,364
Hello everyone! I haven't been on these forums in a very long time! Anyways I need some near in-ear headphones! I haven't done any research myself and don't know where to start with them! :/

Budget- ~$100
Listen to mainly electronic music such as dubstep, Drum and Bass. So it needs to be able to play smooth low bass and the glitchy highs and mids of electronic music.
I'm a college student and usually listen when walking around campus and at the gym.
Source- Droid RAZR Maxx
If you need any other details or if I left anything crucial out, I will gladly post them!
thank you guys!
-Bobtheflea

For that budget, and your music, Klipsch X10 for sure, there is nothing better IMHO

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,868 of 5,364
Hi there everyone, I'm looking for a set of earbuds that will be used when I'm going for gym workouts and when jogging around town. 
The earbuds preferably will have either earhooks or bands that will prevent it from dropping out.
No IEMs please.
Please do note that I'm staying in a tropical country so I'll be sweating a whole lot more than cooler climates.
Budget will be ~$150

I'll be using Cowon J3 to drive them and will be mainly listening to Rock, Jazz and Pop.
Thanks for any recommendations.

Also, I would like to know that between Beyerdynamic DT235, Denon DN-HP700 and Ultrasone HFI-450, which headphone is arguably more suited to the music I listen to?

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,869 of 5,364
Hi!

I want to ask for your opinion regarding the following BT Headphones/IEM. I'm choosing which headphone/IEM to buy with good features for my money.

For IEMs
Sony MW600 $47.50
-can use different earphone/speaker and good battery life

JayBird Gear BlueBuds X $170
-expensive but they are great but with the price you will consider other headphones

Headphones(please help with this >.<)
source:online sellers price on my country

Creative WP-450$121

Creative WP-350$87

MEElectronics Air Fi Runaway Bluetooth Stereo Wireless $102

These are the other headphones, expensive but can consider if they are really worth it for the price
Parrot Zik
-expensive
Logitech UE 9000
-expensive
Sony MDR-1R
-expensive
Harman Harkar-BT
-expensive
Sennheiser 550-X
-expensive

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,870 of 5,364
Quote:
HD25 for sure, light, seals well, confortable, and sounds very good

Thanks for replying! I realize this is a great portable headphone, but I'm not falling for the design. Are they really that much more comfortable than the esw9's? I reckon it's kind of foolish to go for design over function, but I just can't help it. Also how do the headphones compare in size and actual looks? A picture can only tell so much. Design and comfort are huge for me! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,871 of 5,364
Hey Guys,

So I generally prefer headphones, but I have been on a journey to find an IEM simply because they are more portable, convenient, dont mess up my hair on my way to work, and I can use them when I run or go to the gym.

I first tried out the TF10s, I LOVED the sound but even with foamies I could never find a fit....they were falling out after 30 seconds each time, a little heavy as well.

Then I went to the Klipsch x10i.....I bought them brand new at B&H for a heft price. The sound was pretty good, not as much low end as my TF10s, but the good thing was that they were comfortable and for the most part stayed in my ears. After some thought, I decided to return them as I didn't think they were really worth the price that I bought them for.

Lastly, I went on the cheaper route and got a pair of UE 600vi. With these I could never get a proper fit. The large and medium ear tips fell out almost immediately. The smallest silicon tips stay in a bit longer but never gave me the right fit. It's almost as if I got a better sound/bass response when they werent all the way "in"....after they would pop out of suction but before they would physically fall out while running.

The whole process is really frustrating....any suggestions? Should I just go with the x10 and deal with no inline mic?

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,872 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey Guys,

So I generally prefer headphones, but I have been on a journey to find an IEM simply because they are more portable, convenient, dont mess up my hair on my way to work, and I can use them when I run or go to the gym.

I first tried out the TF10s, I LOVED the sound but even with foamies I could never find a fit....they were falling out after 30 seconds each time, a little heavy as well.

Then I went to the Klipsch x10i.....I bought them brand new at B&H for a heft price. The sound was pretty good, not as much low end as my TF10s, but the good thing was that they were comfortable and for the most part stayed in my ears. After some thought, I decided to return them as I didn't think they were really worth the price that I bought them for.

Lastly, I went on the cheaper route and got a pair of UE 600vi. With these I could never get a proper fit. The large and medium ear tips fell out almost immediately. The smallest silicon tips stay in a bit longer but never gave me the right fit. It's almost as if I got a better sound/bass response when they werent all the way "in"....after they would pop out of suction but before they would physically fall out while running.

The whole process is really frustrating....any suggestions? Should I just go with the x10 and deal with no inline mic?

In my opinion putting in the iem too far is bad in terms of sq. Especially with small tips this can happen easily. I generally use mid size tips, but i have rather small ear canals.

If univeral iems don't work you'll have to go with customs, but they can be pretty expensive.

Maybe B&W C5 is worth a look. It has a secure Loop design which helps a lot in keeping them in place, atleast for me.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,873 of 5,364
[size=11.0pt]Hi.  I ride the NYC subways and I’m looking for an IEM with good isolation but will also not leak sound to the person next to me.  I was leaning towards the GR07, but was concerned that the dynamic drivers would be more likely to allow sound to escape.  However, it seems the units with BA drivers (in my price range) sacrifice bass and SQ.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Priorities/Specifics are:[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Music: varied, but mostly rock or techno; [/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Budget: prefer $150 but up to $200 max;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Source: portable mp3 player or android smartphone (controls not required; amp not an option);[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Sound: a little bassy but not overwhelming;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]Tips: prefer foam, but flexible;[/size]
[size=11.0pt]-          [/size][size=11.0pt]No leakage![/size]

[size=11.0pt]Would the GR07 work for me?  Are there better options?[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Thanks.[/size]

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,874 of 5,364
Hi all

I need a recommendation for a good IEM for listening to classical and jazz, but even mainstream rock, some kind of all-arounder. I will use them on train/bus sonnected on my Galaxy s3. I prefer to have a mic and compatibility with Android. Budget up to $150.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,875 of 5,364
Thanks for replying! I realize this is a great portable headphone, but I'm not falling for the design. Are they really that much more comfortable than the esw9's? I reckon it's kind of foolish to go for design over function, but I just can't help it. Also how do the headphones compare in size and actual looks? A picture can only tell so much. Design and comfort are huge for me! 

Designs are relative, I like the design for sure, comfort is top notch, I never tried ESW9's before so can't really compare it against that

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,876 of 5,364
[SIZE=11pt]Hi.  I ride the NYC subways and I’m looking for an IEM with good isolation but will also not leak sound to the person next to me.  I was leaning towards the GR07, but was concerned that the dynamic drivers would be more likely to allow sound to escape.  However, it seems the units with BA drivers (in my price range) sacrifice bass and SQ.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Priorities/Specifics are:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Music: varied, but mostly rock or techno;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Budget: prefer $150 but up to $200 max;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Source: portable mp3 player or android smartphone (controls not required; amp not an option);[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Sound: a little bassy but not overwhelming;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Tips: prefer foam, but flexible;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]-         [/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]No leakage![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Would the GR07 work for me?  Are there better options?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thanks.[/SIZE]

GR07 will leak a bit, I recommend UE700 for you...

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,878 of 5,364
Hi all

I need a recommendation for a good IEM for listening to classical and jazz, but even mainstream rock, some kind of all-arounder. I will use them on train/bus sonnected on my Galaxy s3. I prefer to have a mic and compatibility with Android. Budget up to $150.

Read up on R-50, I think this should be good for you...

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #2,879 of 5,364
Pretty overdue, seems people have jumped ship on this thread. Why have a recommendations section when nobody gives recommendations? 

Anyways, doing multiple parts for this, since the post editor gets laggy when I had +100 quotes, decides to quit, and I lose all my work...again. I think I've attempted to type this up 4 times by now, and ended up re-typing 3 times (learned to save BBS code the 4th time)

Anyways, PART 1/4 (for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, just trying to cover all the unanswered questions from the last month onwards, then I can catch up on recent questions)
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm (obviously) new here. I joined because my current pair of cheap junk headphones is busted and I'm only getting sound out of one ear, and I think it might be time to upgrade to something that'll actually sound good, rather than just replacing them with more cheap junk. I'm considering buying the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, after reading this 9-way review, but since $200 is a lot of money, I wanted to post here first and see if you guys agreed it'd be a good pick, or if you could think of something else that'd suit me better.

Some things about me:

1. I'm not a fan of the in-ear style. I don't know if my ears are misshapen or I'm just an idiot, but I can never get them in comfortably, and they're just frustrating. I much prefer on- or over-ear headphones.
2. I listen to most of my music on a laptop computer, so I really don't want to have to buy a special amplifier for my headphones.
3. My tastes in music are pretty eclectic, which seems like a potential frustration, since it appears that each set of headphones is better for some types of music and worse for others. Here's my last.fm tag cloud, though, which should give you a better idea. And no making fun of my taste :p

I'm leaning toward the HD 25-1 because I've heard they're some of the best in the price range when it comes to rock music, which I listen to a lot. On the other hand, though, the artist from whom I have more "scrobbles" than any other is...Enya. Pretty much the opposite. She should still sound great in the HD 25-1s, though, right?

Oh, one last thing: I've got a pretty big head. What're the chances of the headphones not fitting me comfortably? That's honestly my biggest worry, lol. My head's not GIGANTIC or anything, but like, if they run small or tight or anything, that could be a problem. I was also looking at the ATH-M50, but I think I heard somebody say they were kind of tight, and if they're uncomfortably tight on somebody else, they'll probably be uncomfortably tight on me too, lol. Otherwise, the only thing leaning me more toward the HD 25-1 versus the ATH-M50 is that I've read the HD 25-1 is better for harder, faster, more aggressive music. I also think I remember reading something about the ATH-M50 being a little bit "brighter" (is that the word?) in the treble, whereas the HD 25-1 is a little softer up there. My ears are somewhat sensitive to the higher pitches of some of the cymbal crashes and stuff, so I think I'd prefer the 25-1 over the M50 in that case.

What do you guys think I should get? The Sennheiser, the AT, or something else?

The headband itself isn't very restrictive - it doesn't stretch out a whole lot, but still enough that an average sized head could still have plenty of headroom. Probably the pads that might become unbearably tight since the clamp is rather jarring for some people at first. So comfort-wise, if looking into the Senns, might want to check out the velour pads instead.

The HD-25-ii's genre bandwidth (or lack of) gets a bad wrap. Like most things on this site, it's not as black and white as people will make them out to be. Classical won't suddenly sound like poop or anything. And yet they do perform exceedingly well with electronic. That's not th say they wouldn't do Enya with grace. 

Had always heard the treble on both of these to be a bit peaky at times. M50s are a bit more smoothed out but still guilty of being strident with certain passages. The HD25-1 has less overall treble quantity but the spastic upper mids can be a bit jarring.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Looking for recommendation here since I am going to sell my ATH M-50. The main reason of the sale is because the pads are just not comfortable to my ear.

I am looking for:
- Closed headphones
- Big comfortable pads OR on ear is no problem as long as it does not clamp hard (velours is my preference), something like V-Jays is tolerable for me
- Under $200
- Portable
- No IEM please , my ears just don't like them
- Since I tried a more bass & treble centric cans like M-50, I would like to try a more mid-centric cans now

Thanks!

Mid-centric, larger pads than M50s - sounds like the SRH840. Clamp isn't the issue with these though, but rather some will say that the headband could make a grown man shed tears. There's also the FA-003, size-wise not the most portable, but very, very light even though they don't look the part. Great, forward midrange, and now there's even a second revision out. On-ears-wise, maybe the ES9W, remember the mids to be quite nice and up-front.

Any one of these would be a departure from the M50s.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome,
I started reading this site a week ago and have been on everyday since looking for a pair of IEM's. I started to order a set of Phonaks PFE 121 on Amazon for 140.00 then realized that they wouldn't work with the Samsung 3, but I'm not sure if I will still be able to answer phone calls which would be nice? I liked the way they fit and the reviews. Then I got started on the TDK 200 look like great reviews but then I read a bad review on I think Sound and Vision. So here I go again. I need something for the gym and wanted to try IEM's which usually don't sit well with me. I have the Bose IE now but I wanted to try something new. I don't like the idea of a amp right now. I like using my S3 phone because I have so many choices of programs. It would be nice to have a mic. so I can stay in touch. Price wise I would like to stay under 150.00. If you have some ideas please let me know.

Thanks 
Mitch

Sounds like the A161P. Since you had the PFE122 in consideration already, might be glad to hear that the sound sig isn't that much of a departure, the PFEs are slightly warmer, but they both perform on a pretty similar level. Only one I can think of at this price that has the mic/remote option. 

Quote:
Best IEM under $150, prefer bass and nice highs (similar to my DT770s)???

Comfort, isolation, build would be helpful for narrowing choices down.

Anyways, for a V-shaped sig, probably the FXT90/D80s (similar tonality to the Beyers without being as annoying/overblown) or the Atrios.

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some great IEM's as a backup on-the-go to my AKG K242 HD, I use that one on the road too but sometimes I'd prefer to be capable of using some smaller 'phones. Currently I have the Sennheiser CX-300II for in-ear matters but they definitely lack in comparison with the AKG's(and probably many more headphones).

I use an iPhone 3GS as a source with the Venturecraft GO-Dap GD-03 as amp.
I prefer the in-ears to be under the $150 mark.
The music I listen to is a pretty broad list, but for some indication: Indie-Rock, Post-Rock, Prog-Metal, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Trip-Hop, Lo-Fi, Dubstep, Drum & Bass and a good amount of OST's like the Lord of the Rings one.

Thanks in advance!

Seems like something energetic and plays well with a fun sound is in order. Have always thought the GR07 does fantastic with rock, metal, and the likes, midbass bump gives great tactile feeling for drums, and the dynamics are good enough that you get those extremely satisfying crescendos with post-rock *coughmonocough* reproduced at the drop of a dime. 

Quote:
Hey Guys! 

I also need some advice!

I am looking for In-Ear Headphones or IEM! 
I have a pair of Senns HD650 at home, but I am hoping the IEMs could sound a bit more like the Senns HD600. 

90% of the time, I am listening to classical music. From Piano Solo to Clarinet Concertos. Everything. 
I am looking for a very detailed and neutral sound. So I guess somewhere between the 600 and 650!

My budget is about 350€ ~450$...

I am currently looking at the Ultimate Ears-900, Westone W4RC, Westone um3x or Fischer amps fa-3e.
Which one of those would be the best for me?
If none, what other ones could you guys recommend?

They are mostly for portable use only, and my amplification if needed, would be a FiiO E7.

Thanks in advance!

Would not consider the W4s to be that close to the HD600, more along the lines of the HD650 (especially with all that warmth/midbass) but upper-midrange quantities would be closer to the HD600s yes. And the outstanding timbre from a BA IEM gives it an edge over the other choices for classical. UM3Xs are bit bit thicker and even more HD650-esque. UE900s have that HE-400 tonality more than anything else.

Quote:
Could someone recommend an over the ear set of iems similar to price/SQ of the monoprice these were mentioned a few times: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Flexible-Headphones-SHS3200-28/dp/B003CJTR82/ref=pd_sim_e_2   
Also how is it possible to setup this mic   (  http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ?tag=hardfocom-20    )  with the monoprice IEMS on a cell phone?  

inline has a whole slew of TDKs that he's experimenting with around that price, should probably ask him. Otherwise, for $8, probably won't find much like it. Go up a few dollars, and you're into FXD40, GR99 territory.

Quote:
What sounds similar to the FXD80(fast and deep bass, detailed, sparkling highs) but isn't an FXD80? I've tried the Brainwavz R1 but they sound muffled in comparison. Maybe a Vsonic offering?

FXD80s are the antithesis to VSonic offerings. Apart from maybe the GR01 (which is a toss-up, they're more sweet/smoothed over in the treble even though quantity is comparable, and the bass extension impact is incomparable). Agree that the R1s are muffled, way too gooey and warmed over. Sounds like you want something like the Atrios or the new AT IEMs. The FX500 is also worth a look.

Quote:
Hi

I have been using Monster Turbine Pro Copper for about half a year now. And from start there is one problem. They are quite heavy and my ears start hurting after listening for about an hour, if I  have them properly inserted, so that I get good seal and bass.  
I've tried all tips that came in the box and they weren't good for me. So now I'm using Comply foam tips and I can listen longer before the pain starts, but in the end it's still a problem.
I've tried not to insert them so deep and I must say that it was more comfortable, but sound was very bad and there was no seal. On the other hand when I have them inserted properly I really love the sound (but then the ears start hurting :p).
So this leads me to my question: 
Which in-ear headphones would be good for me (or is there any way I could fix the problem with Turbines)? Something like Monster Turbine pro but lighter. I listen to soundtracks, rock, trance, maybe a little classic. And I also like to have strong bass :D

thanks for any suggestions

Not much to say except to look at the X10 if you want something lighter (physically and sound-wise) and more comfortable.

Quote:
I have been lurking for awhile.  I am having the hardest time purchasing my first pair of good cans.  I am having such a hard time based on how I will be using my headphones.  For the cans I have narrowed down I can get them all for $60 or less (some used).

Usage
1)  MP3 player and PC - must be able to be driven by these
2)  Wearing while walking the dog, sitting at my desk at work, and at the gym (lifting weights) - like the idea of not having a 10 ft cord 

Priorities
1) Comfort - I wear glasses so must be comfortable with glasses
2) Outside Isolation -  I really want cans that isolate outside noise so that I do not have to crank the volume up when outside.  I already have tinitus (ringing in the ears) and im on in my early 30's =(
3) Sound  - obvisouly I want great sound with my other two priorities meet

So far I have narrowed down my list which i can find for about $60 for all.

1) CAL! - Creative Aurvana Live!  $60 
2) JVC HA-S500 $58 ( read through the 313 page appreciation thread)
3) Sony MDRZX700  - $56
4) AKG K81DJ -$33

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

PLEASE HELP A NEW MEMBER OUT!!!!!

After a short stint with the CAL!s as a portable set, while I would wholeheartedly recommend them for sound alone, they simply don't have many of the necessary attributes of a PORTABLE set. The headband and cable doesn't inspire much confidence, build is so-so. The worst part of it is the isolation, fairly average. 

Read through the S500 thread? Kudos to that ~~
Would probably go for those or the AKGs as they would be more portable, isolate better as well. The ZX700s seemed pretty portable when I saw them and the sound was above and beyond some of the offerings here, very crisp and clean. 

Quote:
Looking for nice over the ear or on the ear headphones. Under 100 bucks would be cool. Something small, extremely comfy, and portable with good sound quality. Something like bose oe2 or beats solos but for under 100. I am mainly looking at comfort and portability. Thanks!

See above for the S500 and the AKGs. PX100s are also ridiculously comfy. 

Quote:
Hey all-
Looking to replace my Shure SCL3s. I love the clarity of the SLC3s, they're the best IEMs I've ever owned. I previously had Shure SE110s and they didn't compare in quality or comfort.

Unfortunately my SCL3's are on their last legs...they go out and are spotty (which is incredibly annoying). I've been trying to find a suitable replacement, but so far nothing I'm happy with. I won't go back to the SE110s. I purchased Klipsch X10s and didn't like them. They sounded ok, but weren't nearly as good at isolation as the Shures SCL3s with the foam tips and the cord noise was unbearable - louder than the music while walking.

I also tried Klisch Image S4 and was unimpressed. They didn't sound great, they didn't have anything like the clarity of the Shure SCL3s. I'm sure some of the Shure's appear is from the good seal I get with the black foam tips.

So, no I'm at a loss. I don't really want to spend more than $100 if I can avoid it.

I'm considering the [size=small]MEElectronics A161P...maybe I'm just attracted to them because they look similar to the Shure SCL3s.[/size]

[size=x-small]I think I prefer the sound from balanced armature over dynamic drivers...I really like the clarity.[/size]

[size=x-small]Any suggestions?[/size]

[size=x-small]I listen to a wide spectrum of music - rock, indie, classical, jazz, alt country.[/size]

Seems like you've already got a good grasp of what you might want, so I'll just confirm that yes, they do sound fairly clear and clean. Would probably want to see the HF5 if you want isolation as mentioned with all that clarity.

Quote:
I bought a pair of the Klipsch x10s for the Black Friday sale and will be returning them as I do not really like what they're offering. Not enough bass, mids/highs feel muddy at times and everything feels too relaxed for my liking. I guess this means that I'm really looking for a fun pair of headphones with lots of musicality ( not sure if thats the right term?) 

I'm looking for a pair of headphones (IEMs or cans, whichever have the best sound quality for the money) that have the following qualities:

Bass- I think that I'm somewhat of a basshead, I'm not sure though as I am new to the high-end headphone market but I definitely want a very good amount of bass, tight and thumping (especially in metal with things double bass pedals and the like). I really want to feel the bass. Not just listen to it (which is what it felt like with the x10s)

Mids/Highs- Clear and crisp mids and sparkling highs are probably quite important for metal.  I'm not too sure how else to describe this category as I am new and my vocabulary is limited. When it comes down to it, clarity and excitement is what I'm looking for here. I know that theres probably not a pair in my price range that will give me everything I want but there has to be some sort of sweet spot right?

I do listen to older metal on occasion (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) but am mostly into death metal like Children of Bodom/ Between the Buried and Me/ Dreamshade/ Veil of Maya and recently even some metalcore such as August Burns Red/ Parkway Drive (these bands especially are where I love the deep impactful double bass pedals). Besides that, I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop also so bass is a must there obviously too.

I'd like to stay below 400 at the maximum, a little lower would be good. But I'm willing to dish out a little extra if it's really needed. A few I've seen mentioned are the GR07/TF10/Westone 4 for IEMS and ATH-M50, HD-25's, and a few others. (I've heard that cans give a better sound quality, is this true?) I definitely lean towards a V-shape/fun sounding headphone. I've also tried the Monster turbine golds and they sounded pretty good, would like a step up from there though.

Also- I'm definitely open to buying a cheap amp if it makes sound quality that much better.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bassy, clear mids, sparkly and energetic - might want to look at the W3 instead of the W4 (both are bass-emphasized, but the 3s are more along the lines of what you're looking for). Also have the 3.Ai in hand and they seem to fit your description fairly well. Regular GR07s are definitely not for bassheads, so look at the bass editions. Something analogous to the Golds would probably be the XBA-4 or the Tributes (probably the Trumpets would suit you better though, more clear and V-shaped)

Quote:
What's up headfi? I'm still on the market for some on-ear portables.

My budget is $200 and I prefer them to be somewhat stylish and resilient. I want these to wear while in at school (still in high school) and still have decent sound quality. I listen to a lot of technical metal, trance, and hip hop. I was thinking about the Sol Republic HD's for $130ish. Any other suggestions?

From the sound of those genres, not much that fits the criteria apart from HD25-1. The Sols are rather brittle up top and simply not as fast as some would like for the genres above. Transients get real smeared, and the mids don't do hip-hop justice. Otherwise they don't do too terribly :p

Quote:
Hey guys,

A few months in from purchasing my GR07s I decided to buy another pair of IEMS to try out a new sound sig. I settled on the Yamaha EPH100SL, and needless to say I will be giving these away to a friend. Although they aren't a bad pair of phones I just couldn't help but notice how much fuller the GR07s were; I found them to be very tinny. Only spent $50 on them though, so it really isn't a concern for me.

Now I'm looking for another pair of phones with a neutral sound sig, similar to the GR07s. Budget will be around $300, but since I'm in china ATM Asian brands are really cheap and most western brands tend to be overpriced. The V7007s look interesting, although they'll be released after I head back to Aus
frown.gif
Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Closest I can think of that's similar to a GR07 upgrade would be the W4, same midbass/timbre/mids, less treble though. But since that's way out of budget (though there have been some really nice sales as of recently)...

They are really good performers for the price though (the VSonics) so if you want an upgrade, maybe consider stretching the budget.

Quote:
hello fello head-fiers,

I have  been lurking here for a while and am finally looking to get a new set of IEM's. I currently have a pair of (go ahead and laugh) skull candy inked earbuds. they were cheap and sounded good enough to get tore up on a construction site. anyhow im looking to get a good set. I will try to buy used so as to save cash and get more bang for my buck.

I normally listen to mostly rock, metal, and country. sometimes i will listen to certain rap, however, as of late i have been exploring the likes of trans siberian orchestra and other classical music that fits inline with them....mostly discovered on pandora.

I want a set that will work well on my ipod, ipad or my galaxy nexus as they will be my main sources.  i may someday add a portable amp, but for right now they are out of my price range.

I would like a set that is very clean and plays well down low. i dont mean i want it to be boomy like the skull candy's, but i like to really hear the punch of the kick drum and the impact of a snare drum. clean tight hard hitting bass. I also like a clean neutral mid as well as a smooth top end.

listening conditions: I usually will use them on the go, weather doing housework, building cabinets, lifting weights or riding my motorcycle (inside helmet) so the set i get has to be able to stay in my ear as i slip on my helmet. the skull candy's work, but it can be tricky.

price wise, i dunno. depends on whats out there and new or used.  lets just say 200 used. maybe more if the price is warranted for a new set.

not sure if im using any of the right lingo, but that is how i can describe it.

thanks for the support
shaun

Clean sounding, tight, good extension, ~200, tell you what, you could probably do with the HF5/ER4P quite well. If neutral is the game...

Also the RE272 to consider, still fresh in my mind but extension is phenomenal. Discontinued as of late though, still some pairs floating around though.

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi,

My Westone UM3-Xs are starting to break, the cable on the right ear has almost broken off, so I'm looking into a new pair of IEMs. I've had the Westone 3 a few months before I bought the UM3X, but they had broken, and as such I couldn't directly compare their sounds, but they were similar. I have HD600s and JVC DX1000s which I very much enjoy the sound signatures of, so I would like something along those lines. I listen to rock, jazz, fusion, funk, all sorts of music, but often the music has some slight emphasis on the bass guitar/upright bass, so I guess quality of bass is my main criteria. My budget is <$500 (hopefully any universal IEMs).

Thanks

W4s or the UE900s. Will pretty much cover most of your basis while not being too jarring of a change from the UM3X.

Quote:
I have a question. Some IEMs have 2 models, with mic and without mic. In case the with mic model isn't supported by my mobile phone, the sound through the earphones will be fine, just the mic would not work, right? Or the IEMs would have no sound at all?

Thanks

Usually only the mic will not work, sound will regardless.

Quote:
I recently had the Beyer DT990 and i'm happy with it in-door

and now i want earphones to use in public and while jogging

So i'll use it out-door & for sports

What's the best in sound quality and comfort ?

Do you guys recommend the Monster iSport Immersion In-Ear Headphones ? Or there are better options ?

No.

Genres, sound preferences will always help to narrow stuff down. Never a best for every single category. Also a budget would help.

Sorry for singling you out, but a good example of a vague question that's hard to build off recommendations for. Again, sorry for singling you out, nothing personal.

Quote:
I want to buy something that fits me best. This are the thing i will use them for :

1)long time gaming ( i do not need a microphone and good quality for games, just to be comfortable for that long period ) -> So here comes the comfortable part, which i would like to be lightweight ( i dont want to be so good as Sony MDR MA900, but aproaching them )

2)for street walking and a lot of music i use my phone, but mine is kind of special, is a Nokia N8 which has dolby digital surround, which is pretty cool and can offer a good quality; also i hate when i listen to music to hear the others talking -> that is why i need powerful and good quality headphones, with noise cancellation ( i hate to hear someone talking when i am listening to music !!!!!!! )

3)i need over ear headphones because i can not take the in-ears for long periods , and i hate the on ear, they make my ear lump hurt -> that is why i would like an over ear headphone

4) the price should be until 200$, and i want them to be good for at least 2 years, because i am not so rich :))

5)i would like a little bit of bass, i do not want some headphones based on BASS, which will make my head explode, but i listen a lot of HIP-HOP songs, sometimes DUBSTEP, so....

I hope this make you understand better what i want , because i need the best answer, also i would like you to give me more than one model so i can choose also by design.

PS: i saw the seinheiser HD380, but from some reviews they said that this headphones are for studio and does not have good bass. So what will you recommend?

PS 2 : about sony mdr ma900, i read that they are very comfy and lightweight, that is why i mentioned them :D

M80s, but going to judge a bit because it seems like you are a basshead, so probably the LP2s instead. Pads are pretty darn comfortable.
MA900s are said to be not very bassy at all, certainly not to your quantities (going off from reading threads only)

Quote:
So my first pair (and only pair) of good headphones were the Grado sr80i. Although they are amazing and absolutely love the way they sound I plan on upgrading soon. That's irrelevant. Anyways, I don't really have a good pair of portable IEM's that I can take with me everywhere. I'm looking for something under $100 that keeps sacrificing sound quality at a minimum. I'm not at all a bass head and prefer very clear mids and sparkling highs over booming bass.

I'm thinking I want something similar to the Grado sound signature, at least as close as possible, but then again they are the only good quality headphones that I've ever owned. I was thinking about maybe buying the monoprice mep-933's along with better tips as a starting point. I listen to a ton of live recordings of rock bands and I'm also big into folk music, both seem to fit the Grado sound signature quite well and that is why I was thinking I might want something that sounds similar to them.

I would also prefer something as cheap as possible without sacrificing sound quality too much because I look at these as my first pair of IEM's that I will eventually upgrade from. Any suggestions that you think might fit my needs would be awesome. Thank You!

Grado-like, under 100 - probably not the Monos that you should be looking at. Nothing quite like that tonality wise, apart from the FXT90 which has been selling for under 100 quite frequently.

Quote:
Hello everybody;
I am using a Midnight Ravers IEM's from House of Marley with my iPhone right now and I am very happy with it. They are the most suitable IEMs for my hearing.
My problem is now I'm using a protective case for my iPhone and can't use the IEMs with the case. I know they are extenders but I don't want to use them (but I am using an extender because I couldn't find a solution). My question for you all audiophiles is is there an alternative for my IEMs. Same price range, exact same audio level, bass quality and without the angled jack. Or how to modify them to fit in the case? The case is Lunatik Taktik which works with Apple design guidelines.

For example how about this one: SoundMAGIC e10m. Is thi,s one have a loud volume as the Midnight Ravers?

I seek loud volume and clear bass sounds. I bought a Sennheiser Adidas CX680i but the next day I hated it's low volume and weak bass sounds. That was my fault, didn't properly researched.

...Every single straight-plugged IEM that isn't oversized?
Seems like you want a basshead IEM. A better defined budget would be helpful. Usually I just say GR02 as a blanket rec, but angled plug so yeah...
Probably the MH1C has the mainstream/consumer sig that you're looking for.

Quote:
Hello, there.. looking for my first higher quality pair of headphones. I bought the Sennheiser Momentum, but I found that they pressed too hard on my head, it didn't take long before I felt uncomfortable pressure on my jaw. So I've returned them but now not sure what to get. I enjoyed the sound of the Momentum, but would prefer something more comfortable (of course) as well as more noise isolating (I don't want noise cancelling though) and if I can get it cheaper, that's great too. Something that sounds similar in quality to the Momentum, but perhaps slightly bassier (not too much). I am quite sensitive to sharp treble.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, particularly electronic/house/dubstep, classical, and alternative/rock. I want something I can listen to comfortably for very long periods of time, in a fairly noisy office environment and on the go. I'd prefer NOT to wear in-ear. I would be using my iPhone or Macbook as the source most of the time. I'm not so picky about looking cool, something discrete is good. Looking for something around £200/$300, though I can go up to about £290/$400 for something really awesome.  Any advice greatly appreciated! I'm getting lost researching all the options.

Bassier, better comfort - haven't heard them but just sounds like the M100 are worth researching.

Quote:
Greetings.
My friend is lookin for a pair of portable cans.

Budget: under $100.

Sound: any, just not too bassy, pref neutral or slightly treble emphasized (like V6)

Comfort is the most important factor.

Thanks!
S.

EDIT: oh, forgot to mention it must be easy to drive. since the source device is galaxy note. 

Mentioned V6, so maybe the successors (ZX700). Clean, neutral-ish, crisp. Again, ask inline.

Quote:
As of now, my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies. My budget is anywhere from $100 to $300. Is there an iem that will suit my needs? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the W2, GR01 would do what you're looking for. The former is warmer, fuller, and more euphonic, while the latter has that claritiy and detail that's oh-so-pleasant for classical (though only qualm while owning them was the bass roll-off, but a great deal better than other TWFKs)

Quote:
Hi,

around 3 or 4 years ago I bought a Sony NWZ-A815 MP4 player that came with MDR-EX85 headphones. Sadly the jack on the headphone's cable broke and rendered them useless. Now I am planning on ordering a Sansa Clip+ from Amazon. At the moment I am using some Sony MDR-E818LP headphones with my mobiles, after buying a pair of Sennheiser CX280 (cable noise is terrible, they don't fit well for me at all, sound quality is not very good, doesn't make it worth the discomfort for me).

I really really loved the MDR-EX85, decent sound quality and perfect fit for my ears. Very comfortable. Unfortunately I cannot find them on Amazon and since I don't live in the US and they are unavailable in local stores I have to buy something else for the Clip+.

In short, I would like your help in finding some headphones that sound good and have the same style as MDR-EX85 (that combo in-out thing it has). Note I cannot stand the ones that just go into the ear canal without the extra outer support that this particular set has. It's very uncomfortable and they almost always fall out.

My budget is around $25 (more or less). I am not looking for amazing quality, I just want something comfortable and decent sounding.

After reading more reviews here I am looking at the Yamaha EPH-20. Still want suggestions. I had been burned by some brands (low end products) before and started to prefer Sony for headphones 99% of the time.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any advice you provide!

- Mihai

Sad to say, not a lot of choices with earbuds at that price that sound "good". Especially ones that clip. Have you considered getting something like the Yuins or the Earpods, and grabbing a earguide http://v-moda.com/sport-earhooks/ for the fit issues?

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I need some advice regarding a replacement purchase for my Klipsch x10i which I recently lost. I was really satisfied with my x10i but I would like to look around a bit more this time. I have read on the forums and I have went through the big multi review IEM thread. My budget is around $210 (what x10i costs in Sweden).

My music taste is all round tilting towards blues, 60-70s rock and soul (Clapton, The Band, Dylan, Stones, etc...) , but I also listen to indie pop (brit pop), 80-90s hiphop (public enemy, biggie) and thrash metal (At the gates, Metallica, Slayer).

I tried out Etymotic HF3 and was strucked of how clear the instruments sounded. I picked up more nuances and details of the instruments and harmonies than I did with the x10i. But the lack of bass makes me consider other choices. Im certainly not a bass head but I would like a richer bass. Ideally would be HF3 with more bass.

I'm only using my iphone as playing device and Im primarily looking for a IEM that has iphone support.

I would appriciate if you could help me out here. I hope no information was left out.

Edholm

HF3 with more bass - PFE122 or the GR07. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back