Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,837 of 5,364
Quote:
How would Brainwavz m1 compare to the kilpsch x10? I'm gonna be putting these in my pocket during school and I also want a good sound for some hip-hop/metal. I don't listen to trashy hip hop with muddy bass though I need it to be pretty tight and punchy.

Not even on the same level, X10 is definitely better, bass is tight and punchy

Quote:
Hallo, Head-Fi er's . I am new here :) My name is Mahesh and I am from India, Aged 20 Years, a student by occupation. like to listen to music very much. I listen to :- pop, rock, classic, electro. I like instrumental music too. I made this post particularly because I wanted you pro guy's advice. I hope you guys will help me :) Now that I like music, I purchased a 'SoundMAGIC ES18' at 10$ 3 months ago. since then, there is no looking back. As time passed on, I liked it more and more.... finally I want something 'better' performing IEM. I have 40$ to spend at MAX. I would like to have a Good build, comfort, Isolation, Sound Quality:- I would also like to have deep, punchy and tight but NOT muddy/overpowering bass, good clarity and details. In India, very few audio phones are available, So here is my list :- 1)Sony XB30EX @ 27$ 2)SoundMAGIC E30 @ 33$ 3)SoundMAGIC E10 @ 28$ I also found that this 'Sony XB30EX how are these IEM? Have a look here http://www.flipkart.com/sony-xb30ex-extra-bass-stereo-headphone/p/itmdfj8gehshxgaf?pid=ACCDFJ7UT2MZF8GG&ref=67dc8056-26fc-4eb1-b65e-b965a9f3b805&srno=t_1&otracker=from-search&query=sony%20headphones#read-reviews All these 3 IEM's were having good feedbacks and reviews across the globe, as well as in India too. my audio source :- Nokia 5230 mobile phone. Help me out guys!! Help me to choose an right IEM for myself. Any other IEM suggestions are welcomed too :) I am placing order in next 2-3 days. What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance :)

From your 3 options, E30 is the best IMHO, Sony's bass is pretty muddy with bleeds to the mids, have a look also at Brainwavz M4 and/or M5, they are on sale periodically and are excellent for the money

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,838 of 5,364
I just broke my pair of UE Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs. They had lasted over 4 years of heavy use, so I can't be too sad, but I am.

The killer feature for me was the replaceable cables. I had just put on my 4th cable, so about 1 per year. That's much cheaper than replacing the whole IEMs each year.

But UE have discontinued both Super.fi and Triple.fi headphones, so what should I go for?

- Budget is around £100+/$150+.
- They must have replaceable cables.
- They need to be robust.
- They will mostly be used with my iPhone while commuting on the train, so super-reference standards is overkill.
- For the same reason, they need to have excellent sound isolation and to be very quiet for the person sitting next to me on the train.
- Microphone and play/pause controls would be nice, but not essential.
- I mostly listen to Electronica (Boards of Canada, Wagon Christ etc), but I do like some female singers and some classical. So a fairly neutral or musical sound is wanted (not mega-bass).

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,839 of 5,364
Quote:
I just broke my pair of UE Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs. They had lasted over 4 years of heavy use, so I can't be too sad, but I am.

The killer feature for me was the replaceable cables. I had just put on my 4th cable, so about 1 per year. That's much cheaper than replacing the whole IEMs each year.

But UE have discontinued both Super.fi and Triple.fi headphones, so what should I go for?

- Budget is around £100+/$150+.
- They must have replaceable cables.
- They need to be robust.
- They will mostly be used with my iPhone while commuting on the train, so super-reference standards is overkill.
- For the same reason, they need to have excellent sound isolation and to be very quiet for the person sitting next to me on the train.
- Microphone and play/pause controls would be nice, but not essential.
- I mostly listen to Electronica (Boards of Canada, Wagon Christ etc), but I do like some female singers and some classical. So a fairly neutral or musical sound is wanted (not mega-bass).

Thanks!

Well, you can still get Triple.fi 10s on Amazon and eBay. I picked up a pair on ebay new for $160. Use Complys and get a ControlTalk cable, and you have everything you are looking for.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,840 of 5,364
No luck on Amazon UK (well, not within budget anyway), but I'll keep an eye out on eBay. Thanks!

What other brands are worth looking out for with replaceable cables? How are the Shure SE315s? I've had cheaper Shures in the past which were ok.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,841 of 5,364
Thank you very much djvkool :) you were really helpful :) I ordered SM E30 for 30$ in India. But Brainwavz products are difficult to get in India. M5 = 45$ + import taxes :that is out of my budget :frowning2: M4 = 70$ + import taxes :frowning2: prices@mp4nation.net But I am happy that I ordered E30 upon your suggestions :) I also heard it is a very good one. Once again thanks djvkool

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,842 of 5,364
Hello people, I'm looking to upgrade from the Sony XB500s which had served me well since November 2011 but I want better SQ! I am looking for a pair of headphones under $400 (give or take) that I can use on the move primarily, in conjunction with my Cowon Z2. Before I go on I'd like to mention that the vast majority of my music collection is in 320kbs and with a fair amount of FLAC too. 

The main genres I listen to are Hip Hop and Funk but enjoy a bit of everything, so bass reproduction is important for me but of course so are highs and mids. Another vital thing is comfort since I sometimes listen to them for hours on end. I would much prefer a short cable as my current 1m one serves me perfectly. Also build quality since I want these to last me for years to come and I'd prefer not to need to use an amp. I was thinking about the Sony MDR 1R but the reports of think lower bass is giving me concerns and I don't know where I can demo them here. I've also looked at the M-100s but they aren't even available in my country. Thanks to any who help.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,843 of 5,364
I'm looking for something similar to VSonic GR02 Bass Edition, but with even more bass.

My girlfriend had a set of Bose IE2 earbuds that got stolen. She liked them for their bass, but she felt that my GR02s were a little too sibilant and had slightly less bass (this was with the dual-flange tips) than her IE2s.

Long story short, her IE2s were stolen, and I'd like to replace them for her birthday. I've never liked Bose, and I know that better IEMs can be had for less money, so I decided I'd find some real IEMs and buy the replacement Bose tips that she likes. I'm not necessarily looking for basshead sound, but she definitely wants a decent bass boost.

The requirements:
1. Quality of the GR02s
2. Bass boost of the IE2s
3. Can use the IE2 tips without modification
4. Cost less than Bose IE2s

So far I've come up with these from reading around here, but I'm open to other suggestions:

1. MEElectronics SP-51
2. MEElectronics M11+
3. VSonic GR99

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,845 of 5,364
Quote:
[size=small] Hey all. Looking for some advice on some IEMs. The reviews are all over the place for the two I am looking at. Thought your expertise could help me out with a decision.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Wanting to spend $100-150 on some IEMs. I use these mainly to travel, sleep, and the occasional workout.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Saw these two, your opinions or other suggestions/brands are much appreciated.[/size]

[size=small] HifiMAN RE-400- http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-RE-400-Performance-In-ear-Headphone/dp/B00AWLEAH6/ref=pd_sim_e_1[/size]

[size=small] Klipsch X10- http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-X10-Noise-Isolating-Earphone/dp/B000WAHFBK/ref=pd_cp_e_0[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Budget: 100-150[/size]

[size=small] Source: Galaxy Note 2[/size]

[size=small] Isolation: IEMs so yeah[/size]

[size=small] Type: IEM[/size]

[size=small] Tonal- balanced[/size]

[size=small] Past headphones- DT 880s, 280 pros, 380 pros, junky addida branded Sennheisers[/size]

[size=small] Music: Rock, Classical, occasional jam.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks again.[/size]

From what I've understood, the two you mention are rather different. Have you checked out Joker's comparison thread? There are a lot of good options at 100-150. Unfortunately, I haven't listened to these in particular, so I can't give you a personal recommendation. Moreover, from what I've read, the X10 is not really balanced, but more on the fun side (but then again, I'm not sure if you are really looking for a balanced IEM!). Just thought it might be good to check out the following as well:

- VSonic GR07 (or GR07 Bass Edition)
- RE262 (but will need an amp) and may be difficult to get hold of (discontinued)
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
- TDK BA200 (see the thread, it gets rave reviews and should be rather balanced from what I understood).
- Monster Turbine Pro Gold (on sale at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NTPLXM), though these are not really balanced AFAIK (but get decent reviews).

Try asking in the specific threads of these headphones how they sound, I'm sure people are willing to help. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hope I didn't confuse you too much with all the options! :)

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,846 of 5,364
Victo, Im assuming you are looking for some yuin pk1, pk2, or pk3. Look into those.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,847 of 5,364
Quote:
From what I've understood, the two you mention are rather different. Have you checked out Joker's comparison thread? There are a lot of good options at 100-150. Unfortunately, I haven't listened to these in particular, so I can't give you a personal recommendation. Moreover, from what I've read, the X10 is not really balanced, but more on the fun side (but then again, I'm not sure if you are really looking for a balanced IEM!). Just thought it might be good to check out the following as well:

- VSonic GR07 (or GR07 Bass Edition)
- RE262 (but will need an amp) and may be difficult to get hold of (discontinued)
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
- TDK BA200 (see the thread, it gets rave reviews and should be rather balanced from what I understood).
- Monster Turbine Pro Gold (on sale at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NTPLXM), though these are not really balanced AFAIK (but get decent reviews).

Try asking in the specific threads of these headphones how they sound, I'm sure people are willing to help. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hope I didn't confuse you too much with all the options! :)

Thanks Exci.  I ended up scrapping both of those options after further research and actually buying the VSonic GR07.  thank you for the reply. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,848 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you very much djvkool :) you were really helpful :) I ordered SM E30 for 30$ in India. But Brainwavz products are difficult to get in India. M5 = 45$ + import taxes :that is out of my budget :frowning2: M4 = 70$ + import taxes :frowning2: prices@mp4nation.net But I am happy that I ordered E30 upon your suggestions :) I also heard it is a very good one. Once again thanks djvkool

Just make sure you join MP4nation mailing list, the recent sale they have, M5 buy one get one free with free FEDEX delivery, so you get two M5 for $45, you can sell the other one in India...

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,849 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello people, I'm looking to upgrade from the Sony XB500s which had served me well since November 2011 but I want better SQ! I am looking for a pair of headphones under $400 (give or take) that I can use on the move primarily, in conjunction with my Cowon Z2. Before I go on I'd like to mention that the vast majority of my music collection is in 320kbs and with a fair amount of FLAC too. 

The main genres I listen to are Hip Hop and Funk but enjoy a bit of everything, so bass reproduction is important for me but of course so are highs and mids. Another vital thing is comfort since I sometimes listen to them for hours on end. I would much prefer a short cable as my current 1m one serves me perfectly. Also build quality since I want these to last me for years to come and I'd prefer not to need to use an amp. I was thinking about the Sony MDR 1R but the reports of think lower bass is giving me concerns and I don't know where I can demo them here. I've also looked at the M-100s but they aren't even available in my country. Thanks to any who help.

Are you looking for portable? if yes, I auditioned XB600 the other day and they aren't too shabby at all, other options is Sennheiser HD25, or JVC S500 - they are all bassy cans.

If you can go bigger size cans, Fischer Audio FA-011 is hard to beat for the money, fantastic bass, and IMHO, sounds better and more comfortable than the much-hyped AT M-50

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,850 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for something similar to VSonic GR02 Bass Edition, but with even more bass.

My girlfriend had a set of Bose IE2 earbuds that got stolen. She liked them for their bass, but she felt that my GR02s were a little too sibilant and had slightly less bass (this was with the dual-flange tips) than her IE2s.

Long story short, her IE2s were stolen, and I'd like to replace them for her birthday. I've never liked Bose, and I know that better IEMs can be had for less money, so I decided I'd find some real IEMs and buy the replacement Bose tips that she likes. I'm not necessarily looking for basshead sound, but she definitely wants a decent bass boost.

The requirements:
1. Quality of the GR02s
2. Bass boost of the IE2s
3. Can use the IE2 tips without modification
4. Cost less than Bose IE2s

So far I've come up with these from reading around here, but I'm open to other suggestions:

1. MEElectronics SP-51
2. MEElectronics M11+
3. VSonic GR99

Not sure what size Bose's tips, but straight away after reading your post, I thought of Klipsch X10, non-fatiguing treble and quite a big bass impact, infact IMHO the bass impact is bigger and better quality than IE2 - this X10 can be had for around $90 these days from Amazon, it is also small and super comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back