Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,806 of 5,364
hello,

so, the anniversary prezzy is ...

HD 25-1 II - Sennheiser USA

we bought the 2 year, extended, in store, BS, warranty.

she already thinks we'll need to use it. :)

(tl:dr i had pretty much figured out it would be the Sennheiser house sound that would rule the day. [they are on my head right now and they ROCK!])

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,807 of 5,364
can anybody give me an idea about Bose AE2 vs AKG K420?
For some reason i need this comparison.

i hope the AKG K420 are better, since i'm sending these as a gift.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,808 of 5,364
Hey guys,

I find myself these days using IEMs more and more, and even with the foam tips, Im rather tired of fidgeting with my IEMs. So im hoping you guys could help me out. Im looking to spend some cash on CIEMs, and am hoping for a better result. Im looking firmly around the 300-450$ price range. Anything less seems too cheap, and anything more I cannot justify on something thats meant for on the go. 

Sound preference wise, I admit I do love my Lawton Tuned Denon D-5000s. I love heavy bass, sub bass, any kind. I also love sparkly highs. I listen to a ton of electronic and rock. Basically thats 95% of my music, heavy rock, rock, and most genres of electronic, dubstep, electro etc. Most likely will be either using them directly out of my phone or laptop most of the time, or E7 portable DAC/amp if they benefit enough. 

Ive looked at Average Joes Multi IEM review and he didnt have many of my price range models listed, and none of the brands and price range combined. Brand wise I have no preference, but I dont wanna worry about quality control, and customizing options would be nice as well. Nothing super fancy is needed but color for sure. 

If theres anything Ive missed please ask or let me know, thanks for your time, cheers, DD. 

Would you guys agree with these impressions? 

1964 Ears Triple driver, V3 425$ (rather neutral, touch of midbass)

Heir Audio, 3 driver 3.A $450 (More quantifull bass than JH5, warm lush mids, laid back highs, engaging fun sound.)

JH Audio JH5 Pro $400 (Sparkly great highs, less bass quantity than 3.A) 

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,809 of 5,364
these guys on this site have lots of fine recommendations. read a bit and you'll learn a lot. try other sites too. there's a few top notch reviewers out there that will give you good advice too. if you can, listen first. and use a music cut(s) you are familiar with each time, so you are making a real comparison, and not being fooled by some goosed up recording. make sure the volume level is as much the same each time as you can possibly adjust it. it's been shown in studies that the average listener invariably prefers the louder sounding piece of equipment, for a number of sometimes complex reasons, such as the fletcher-munsen (sp?) effect.
i wouldn't confine myself to cheaper headphones. hey, what would you spend for a decent set of speakers for your stereo system? 30 bucks max? think about this too. you can get the sonic quality of a several thousand dollar set of speakers for a tenth of the price or less in headphones. it sounds like you use your headphones a lot. why not invest a bit more, a hundred or so, and get something that will wow you, vs a pair of headphones that sound like annoying cheap speakers?
that said, i'd like to suggest two other headphones that i haven't noticed being discussed at all in posts on this site, though i haven't read but maybe 5% of them. first are a pair of in the ear phones, "Visang VS-R02", available on the ali baba website for about 30-40$. very nice sound reproduction, i've found them better than the more common offerings and even much more expensive brands. second are on the ear sonys, the "MDR 7506", about a hundred dollars or so. you see variants in dvd movie extras, on the ears of the directors and sound men. i think clarity is very good and bass ain't bad either. very portable too.
good luck in your search. keep in mind too that you'll probably upgrade sometime in the future as you learn to appreciate a good set of cans. it's like cars, or pizza, or anything else in life. enjoy the trip!

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,810 of 5,364
Quote:

these guys on this site have lots of fine recommendations. read a bit and you'll learn a lot. try other sites too. there's a few top notch reviewers out there that will give you good advice too. if you can, listen first. and use a music cut(s) you are familiar with each time, so you are making a real comparison, and not being fooled by some goosed up recording. make sure the volume level is as much the same each time as you can possibly adjust it. it's been shown in studies that the average listener invariably prefers the louder sounding piece of equipment, for a number of sometimes complex reasons, such as the fletcher-munsen (sp?) effect.
i wouldn't confine myself to cheaper headphones. hey, what would you spend for a decent set of speakers for your stereo system? 30 bucks max? think about this too. you can get the sonic quality of a several thousand dollar set of speakers for a tenth of the price or less in headphones. it sounds like you use your headphones a lot. why not invest a bit more, a hundred or so, and get something that will wow you, vs a pair of headphones that sound like annoying cheap speakers?
that said, i'd like to suggest two other headphones that i haven't noticed being discussed at all in posts on this site, though i haven't read but maybe 5% of them. first are a pair of in the ear phones, "Visang VS-R02", available on the ali baba website for about 30-40$. very nice sound reproduction, i've found them better than the more common offerings and even much more expensive brands. second are on the ear sonys, the "MDR 7506", about a hundred dollars or so. you see variants in dvd movie extras, on the ears of the directors and sound men. i think clarity is very good and bass ain't bad either. very portable too.
good luck in your search. keep in mind too that you'll probably upgrade sometime in the future as you learn to appreciate a good set of cans. it's like cars, or pizza, or anything else in life. enjoy the trip!

Was this in response to me?

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2,811 of 5,364
Slumming it big time compared to most on here, but here goes...

Originally posted in full size forum but actually looking for a more portable set. Been using the ear buds that typically come with my iPhones and mp3 players, so obviously not used to good audio. Want to slowly ramp up by trying out a somewhat better solution for the time being to see if they work for me.

Looking to keep it to around $25 or less for a on-ear type headphone. No in-ear canal types, as I hate the underwater feeling they give when ears are plugged. Primarily listen to rock and podcasts, so don't need booming bass etc, just a decent, clean sound for the little cash I want to spend.

Initial research shows these options:
Sennheiser 202 II ($26)
JVC Flats ($12)
Sony ZX100 ($14)
Sony ZX300 ($24)
Monoprice 8323 ($28)

I'd really like to stick to budget but have some leeway if needed.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2,812 of 5,364

Originally posted in full size forum but actually looking for a more portable set. Been using the ear buds that typically come with my iPhones and mp3 players, so obviously not used to good audio. Want to slowly ramp up by trying out a somewhat better solution for the time being to see if they work for me.

Looking to keep it to around $25 or less for a on-ear type headphone. No in-ear canal types, as I hate the underwater feeling they give when ears are plugged. Primarily listen to rock and podcasts, so don't need booming bass etc, just a decent, clean sound for the little cash I want to spend.

Sennheiser 202 II ($26)
JVC Flats ($12)
Sony ZX100 ($14)
Sony ZX300 ($24)
Monoprice 8323 ($28)

Hi mate,
Nothing wrong with starting small. It doesn't mean you don't appreciate good sound. But beware tis a slippery slope! I would have thought the Koss Porta Pros would have been a good starting point. Or maybe Koss KSC75?

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,813 of 5,364

Sennheiser 202 II ($26)
JVC Flats ($12)
Sony ZX100 ($14)
Sony ZX300 ($24)
Monoprice 8323 ($28)

I just read your other post! I guess porta pros aren't for you. I have read good things about the 8323. Mine is arriving next week so I don't have first hand experience of this set. Gluck

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,814 of 5,364
Hello people, I'm looking to upgrade from the Sony XB500s which had served me well since November 2011 but I want better SQ! I am looking for a pair of headphones under $400 or £250 (give or take) that I can use on the move primarily, in conjunction with my Cowon Z2. Before I go on I'd like to mention that the vast majority of my music collection is in 320kbs and with a fair amount of FLAC too. 

The main genres I listen to are Hip Hop and Funk but enjoy a bit of everything, so bass reproduction is important for me but of course so are highs and mids. Another vital thing is comfort since I sometimes listen to them for hours on end. I would much prefer a short cable as my current 1m one serves me perfectly. Also build quality since I want these to last me for years to come and I'd prefer not to need to use an amp. Thanks to any who help.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,815 of 5,364
Hey guys

I need some cheapish (60 wingwangs) iems. I will be using them from my Note 2 in the gym, so they need to be: Durable, not require an amp, and best sound quality you can get for that price.

Thank you

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,818 of 5,364
Hi head-fi!

(WARNING: This first part is the story about my last IEMs and how they broke. It might help you to recommend me new ones, but you don't have to read it.)
So my MEElectronics M21 IEMs have finally just gone out in the right ear after about 7 months. That's the longest I've had a pair of IEMs without one of the sides blowing out.
(BTW, they were pretty great quality, I liked them better than the M9s, and better than the Skullcandy Titans. They were about as good as the Sennheiser CX200s, in different terms. They were pretty well balanced.)

I'm pretty harsh on my IEMs. I usually make sure to store them properly and not stuff them in my pockets or anything for the first month or so. Then I just give up and hope they last with a little abuse. I usually wear them with my iPod in my sweatshirt pocket, and the cord going up underneath the sweatshirt, then going behind my neck, then coming up over my left ear...and into it. Admittingly, I did stuff them into my pockets when I needed to store them during the school day. But, the vast majority of the time they were inside my sweatshirt pocket or plugged into my computer. I listen to music a lot...
The reason the right side stopped working (based on my educated guess) is that the cord became too cold (I live in Colorado) and eventually in pretty much just broke, exposing the part underneath the cord casing.

(End of story).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

START READING HERE FOR MY REQUIREMENTS
So, I need IEMs that will, preferably:
-Last longer than 6 months with lots of listening but not that much abuse. Of course, I would like if they lasted forever.
-Be somewhat balanced, but with more emphasis on bass.
-Have a cord that won't get too hard in the cold...so basically I need a non-cheap cord.

I mainly listen to thrash metal, heavy metal, classic metal, dubstep (mainstream type, not chillstep), D&B, electro/house, hard rock. I like hearing bass. To me, it makes it sound higher quality if you can feel the kick drum. And, I love bass lines in metal and rock.

My price range is <$50. I currently have $50 on Amazon, which is where I'm gonna buy them from, with no exceptions. If I have money left over after the first pair, I might buy another pair. 

Ones I've owned: Sennheiser CX200, Sennheiser CX475, Skullcandy Titans, (fake) Sennheiser CX300-IIs, V-MODA Bass Freq, MEElectronics M9 and M21.

Ones I'm already considering: Ultimate Electronics UE500, VSONIC GR99, DUNU DN-12 Trident, Soundmagic E30 or E10, Ultimate Electronics UE 350, Creative EP-360, Sony MDR-XB20EX, Hi-FiMan RE-0,

So yeah, could anybody help?
(sorry for long post)

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,819 of 5,364
What would you guys say is the best portable headphones for walking around in college? What i am looking for is 
-have to be comfortable, keep on head for a long time
-have to be pretty light (portable) so i can walk around to class with them on and put them in my bag
-cost < $120... although exceptions can be made
-no amps
-listen to mostly trance, r&b, hip hop 
I was looking at Koss dj100, vmoda crossfade?, audio technica m50, audio technics RP-DH1200(heard these were uncomfortable though) 

I have been looking at mostly dj headphones because they seem to be more portable than the fullsize ones. Thanks for any help. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,820 of 5,364
If you live in U.S. and there's a nearby radio shack in your place, then I would highly recommend vmoda m80 of which they are currently selling for $120.00 until March.

What would you guys say is the best portable headphones for walking around in college? What i am looking for is 
-have to be comfortable, keep on head for a long time
-have to be pretty light (portable) so i can walk around to class with them on and put them in my bag
-cost < $120... although exceptions can be made
-no amps
-listen to mostly trance, r&b, hip hop 
I was looking at Koss dj100, vmoda crossfade?, audio technica m50, audio technics RP-DH1200(heard these were uncomfortable though) 

I have been looking at mostly dj headphones because they seem to be more portable than the fullsize ones. Thanks for any help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back