Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2,746 of 5,364
Hi,

around 3 or 4 years ago I bought a Sony NWZ-A815 MP4 player that came with MDR-EX85 headphones. Sadly the jack on the headphone's cable broke and rendered them useless. Now I am planning on ordering a Sansa Clip+ from Amazon. At the moment I am using some Sony MDR-E818LP headphones with my mobiles, after buying a pair of Sennheiser CX280 (cable noise is terrible, they don't fit well for me at all, sound quality is not very good, doesn't make it worth the discomfort for me).

I really really loved the MDR-EX85, decent sound quality and perfect fit for my ears. Very comfortable. Unfortunately I cannot find them on Amazon and since I don't live in the US and they are unavailable in local stores I have to buy something else for the Clip+.

In short, I would like your help in finding some headphones that sound good and have the same style as MDR-EX85 (that combo in-out thing it has). Note I cannot stand the ones that just go into the ear canal without the extra outer support that this particular set has. It's very uncomfortable and they almost always fall out.

My budget is around $25 (more or less). I am not looking for amazing quality, I just want something comfortable and decent sounding.

After reading more reviews here I am looking at the Yamaha EPH-20. Still want suggestions. I had been burned by some brands (low end products) before and started to prefer Sony for headphones 99% of the time.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any advice you provide!

- Mihai

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,747 of 5,364
My music taste is Linkin Park, David Guetta, some more bassy songs so I need a bassy (a bit) headphone and I'll buy it in central London so give me a shop to buy is a bonus. I need the comfortable to be very good and isolation too

i am on the same page as you. I need comfy, isolation, and that kind of music... :))

I ALSO ADD THIS MODELS : AKG K 540, Yamaha HPH-200, Grado SR80i, Denon AH-D510.... what about them ? do they fit me and minhquancanon7d

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,748 of 5,364
Hello everybody,

I need some advice regarding a replacement purchase for my Klipsch x10i which I recently lost. I was really satisfied with my x10i but I would like to look around a bit more this time. I have read on the forums and I have went through the big multi review IEM thread. My budget is around $210 (what x10i costs in Sweden).

My music taste is all round tilting towards blues, 60-70s rock and soul (Clapton, The Band, Dylan, Stones, etc...) , but I also listen to indie pop (brit pop), 80-90s hiphop (public enemy, biggie) and thrash metal (At the gates, Metallica, Slayer).

I tried out Etymotic HF3 and was strucked of how clear the instruments sounded. I picked up more nuances and details of the instruments and harmonies than I did with the x10i. But the lack of bass makes me consider other choices. Im certainly not a bass head but I would like a richer bass. Ideally would be HF3 with more bass.

I'm only using my iphone as playing device and Im primarily looking for a IEM that has iphone support.

I would appriciate if you could help me out here. I hope no information was left out.

Edholm

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,750 of 5,364
Hi guys! I'm new to the HeadFi community, and I want to ask for some advices for my next pair of headphone.

First, I just dig in a pair of Sennheiser HD 439, as well as a Fiio E6 portable amp. The headphone is quite comfortable and suitable for some laid back relax listening when I'm in the library. 

Now I'm thinking about moving toward to my next pair. I'm planning to listen mainly to electronic, EDM, hiphop, r&b, dubstep, chillstep... as well as everything else throwned at that cans. I want the cans that overall need to be more involved than my HD 439, as well as having good bass but does not drown the clarity of the set (well, I know that many have asked for this kind of headphone :D). My budget is under $200. I will use them at home (hooked with the Fiio E6 with my macbook air), at library (unamped), on the bus, sometime on the street with my ipod nano and (maybe) with the E6 hooked, so a not-so-bulky-and-look-okay set is very appreciated. 

At first I'm thinking about ATH-M50, but since I own the HD 439, it seems like the M50 is repeating the role of my headphone, and I'm not sure if it handle electronic music well or not. So later I'm thinking about these set:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II (still don't know what the bass sound like, as well as "hot-treble" problem. but this set still made my top list because of the liveliness and punchy bass)
V-Moda M80 (excited about the bass and mellowness, but not sure how the warm and blur will affected the music. also I'm aware of the muddy sound)
TMA-1 (from the review it's a bit too dark, so maybe it will not fit)
Ultrasone 580/780 (quite great pair from what I've heard, but stuck with the silver look. also it look quite bulky)
ATH-Pro700mk2 (excited about the bass at first, but later find out that it's slow and this can is all about the bass, so I might crossed it out. Just want to mention)
ATH-M50 (mentioned above, but still curious about the "legend", I guess, of this can).

So basically that's all I need :) And one thing I forget to mention, after getting this headphone I'm planning on getting the new Fiio E07k dac/amp to pair up with my macbook air when I'm at home. Maybe it's worth mention. 
Thanks all you guys.

Update: I heard from the forum that the HD25-1 II suffer from fatiguing after a long time listening, so anyone can confirm that? Also, the HD25-1 II cable is running right side, so how can I stick it to the left side since I'm right handed? 

Update 2: I've just heard about the Sennheiser IE 80, and it sound quite interesting. Is that IEM suit my taste? Also, what it's like when comparing that IEM pair with a Headphone pair, I mean the feeling, fatiguing problem, sounding... etc. $400 is a lot, especially for something that feel quite fragile like IEM, but that pair still caught me. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,752 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for an IEM with a lot  of snare drum impact. Could anyone name a few under 300 dollars? Does the ER-4P have a lot of impact in snare drums?

The best I've heard in this area is the Aurisonics ASG-1 rev2 (the latest revision).

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,754 of 5,364
So, I have no experience with picking out good headphones and there is no place nearby for me to go and listen to bunch before buying. I'm basically flying blind.
My only source of music is from Pandora via my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga, if it matters)
The only music genre I don't listen to is Jazz. The most common type is along the lines of Blackmore's Night (folk instruments, lots of guitar, female vocals)
I need to keep the price under 300 if possible.

I'm considering Audio Technica's athesw9a
146154-audio-technica-ath-esw9a-9782.jpg

mostly because I love the way they look, they are ear pad / headband style and I've seen a lot of good reviews for them.

My question is, are these headphones too over the top for the way I'll be using them? If so, what would be a good fit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,755 of 5,364
I need a new set of earbuds for use with my Lumia 920. I was using the Klipsch S3 and they were just fine, sound quality-wise. However, the cord resonated extremely loud anytime it moved at all. There was also quite a bit of wind noise that got inside as well. This made walking and listening really awkward. I'd like to spend $50-75 on a nice set of isolating IEMs that have relatively neutral sound. Any recommendations? Mic is a plus.

1. $50-75
  2. IEM
  3. Keep out a fair bit of noise (used near streets)
  4. Decent sound, I'm not extremely picky
  5. Mic is a plus but not necessary

Any suggestions?

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,758 of 5,364
I got stuck with a sony xb21 n I cant wait to let it rest in piece cuz I m so tired of its blur bass covering my music. So now i 've got myself with a handful of choices of in ear earpiece, the ue350, ue400, tdk eb950, shure se102, Philips she 9900. I live in Hong Kong so the variety of good earphones under HKD600 (USD77) are quite limited. Which earphone above should I get? Or are there any other good with a bit more bass earphones that costs under USD77 I should consider ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back