Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,701 of 5,364
Hey Head-Fi!

Well, I'm back. Again. I really enjoyed my Meelectronics M11+ over the last 2 years, but unfortunately the cable has developed a minor but extremely annoying issue. 
I've been thinking of trying something new for a while, but this issue has made it clear for me that I need something else.
Question is, what do I replace it with?

I'm a student who mainly uses IEM's to listen to music during my commute. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note II as my primary source, playing music files both from the Spotify library and my personal music collection.
I'm not after the best sounding IEM, but I like my IEM's to be musical, exciting and full sounding. I mostly listen to rock, metal and the occassional electronic tracks. Artists include Kyuss, Gorillaz, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Mark Lanegan and Radiohead, amongst many others. Here is my daily Spotify playlist for inspiration: The Huge Shuffle List.

My budget is around 70 dollars or 50 euros. I liked my M11+ better than the SoundMagic PL50's I had a couple of years ago, because the M11+ had more bass quantity and a more entertaining sound signature. Isolation is very important (because 'bus' equals 'loud noises'), comfort is not that important but I really appreciate it.

I was considering the VSonic GR06, but it's quite difficult to get for me seeing as I'm in Europe. Can anyone help me? 

EDIT: Problem solved. I went over budget and got the Shure SE215. Don't know whether to thank you or damn you for making me spend more money. *sigh*

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,702 of 5,364
What do we think of Monster DNA vs UE 4000? I've read good things about both of these sets.
Looking for something on-ear, portable, and moderate weight. Good for most genres (I have songs from most genres on my computer) but mainly for bass heavy ones.
I like a little spark with my highs. Which I have read both of these give me.

My former pairs of headphones:
JVC FX-40
Brainwavz HM3
Monster Turbine Pro Coppers

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,703 of 5,364
Hey,
I am interested in buying an under 100 pound (UK) pair of iem's for my NWZ-z1070. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD598 for daily use.
Looking forward for a nice all around pair, with warm bass and good sound stage while still producing a comfortable warm sound.
i've come across this so far:
Pioneer SE-CLX7
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet - fav #3
Jays a-Jays T00074 Three -fav. #2
Sony MH1/MH1c - favorite #3
Fischer Audio Ceramique - fav #2
Klipsch Image X10 (there is sale on a site...) - favorite #1
The 2nd and 3rd favorites are share because of their price/perf. ratio.
I've eliminated the Sennheiser IE4/6 because of their poor cables.
What do you think about this? Do you have any other ideas??
P.S.: What do you know about ordering from Amazon and customs in the EU? I'm from Romania and i'm worried about the fees and taxes of shipment and customs... Also what about the VAT?
Edited by tudtud1 - Today at 11:12 am
P.S: Sorry for the thread

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,704 of 5,364
What is the deal you've found on the X10's? If you think it's low enough then it's probably a steal, otherwise I would probably go with the MH1. If the deal you're talking about is the $115 dollars form amazon... I would suggest you add a little more money--like five dollars--and order the Rock-it R-50's from their website.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,705 of 5,364
hello fello head-fiers,

I have  been lurking here for a while and am finally looking to get a new set of IEM's. I currently have a pair of (go ahead and laugh) skull candy inked earbuds. they were cheap and sounded good enough to get tore up on a construction site. anyhow im looking to get a good set. I will try to buy used so as to save cash and get more bang for my buck.

I normally listen to mostly rock, metal, and country. sometimes i will listen to certain rap, however, as of late i have been exploring the likes of trans siberian orchestra and other classical music that fits inline with them....mostly discovered on pandora.

I want a set that will work well on my ipod, ipad or my galaxy nexus as they will be my main sources.  i may someday add a portable amp, but for right now they are out of my price range.

I would like a set that is very clean and plays well down low. i dont mean i want it to be boomy like the skull candy's, but i like to really hear the punch of the kick drum and the impact of a snare drum. clean tight hard hitting bass. I also like a clean neutral mid as well as a smooth top end.

listening conditions: I usually will use them on the go, weather doing housework, building cabinets, lifting weights or riding my motorcycle (inside helmet) so the set i get has to be able to stay in my ear as i slip on my helmet. the skull candy's work, but it can be tricky.

price wise, i dunno. depends on whats out there and new or used.  lets just say 200 used. maybe more if the price is warranted for a new set.

not sure if im using any of the right lingo, but that is how i can describe it.

thanks for the support
shaun

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,708 of 5,364
Hey Head-Fi,

My Westone UM3-Xs are starting to break, the cable on the right ear has almost broken off, so I'm looking into a new pair of IEMs. I've had the Westone 3 a few months before I bought the UM3X, but they had broken, and as such I couldn't directly compare their sounds, but they were similar. I have HD600s and JVC DX1000s which I very much enjoy the sound signatures of, so I would like something along those lines. I listen to rock, jazz, fusion, funk, all sorts of music, but often the music has some slight emphasis on the bass guitar/upright bass, so I guess quality of bass is my main criteria. My budget is <$500 (hopefully any universal IEMs).

Thanks

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,710 of 5,364
I have a question. Some IEMs have 2 models, with mic and without mic. In case the with mic model isn't supported by my mobile phone, the sound through the earphones will be fine, just the mic would not work, right? Or the IEMs would have no sound at all?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,712 of 5,364
I recently had the Beyer DT990 and i'm happy with it in-door

and now i want earphones to use in public and while jogging

So i'll use it out-door & for sports

What's the best in sound quality and comfort ?

Do you guys recommend the Monster iSport Immersion In-Ear Headphones ? Or there are better options ?

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,713 of 5,364
I want to buy something that fits me best. This are the thing i will use them for :

1)long time gaming ( i do not need a microphone and good quality for games, just to be comfortable for that long period ) -> So here comes the comfortable part, which i would like to be lightweight ( i dont want to be so good as Sony MDR MA900, but aproaching them )

2)for street walking and a lot of music i use my phone, but mine is kind of special, is a Nokia N8 which has dolby digital surround, which is pretty cool and can offer a good quality; also i hate when i listen to music to hear the others talking -> that is why i need powerful and good quality headphones, with noise cancellation ( i hate to hear someone talking when i am listening to music !!!!!!! )

3)i need over ear headphones because i can not take the in-ears for long periods , and i hate the on ear, they make my ear lump hurt -> that is why i would like an over ear headphone

4) the price should be until 200$, and i want them to be good for at least 2 years, because i am not so rich :))

5)i would like a little bit of bass, i do not want some headphones based on BASS, which will make my head explode, but i listen a lot of HIP-HOP songs, sometimes DUBSTEP, so....

I hope this make you understand better what i want , because i need the best answer, also i would like you to give me more than one model so i can choose also by design.

PS: i saw the seinheiser HD380, but from some reviews they said that this headphones are for studio and does not have good bass. So what will you recommend?

PS 2 : about sony mdr ma900, i read that they are very comfy and lightweight, that is why i mentioned them :D

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,714 of 5,364
Quote:
I want to buy something that fits me best. This are the thing i will use them for :

1)long time gaming ( i do not need a microphone and good quality for games, just to be comfortable for that long period ) -> So here comes the comfortable part, which i would like to be lightweight ( i dont want to be so good as Sony MDR MA900, but aproaching them )

2)for street walking and a lot of music i use my phone, but mine is kind of special, is a Nokia N8 which has dolby digital surround, which is pretty cool and can offer a good quality; also i hate when i listen to music to hear the others talking -> that is why i need powerful and good quality headphones, with noise cancellation ( i hate to hear someone talking when i am listening to music !!!!!!! )

3)i need over ear headphones because i can not take the in-ears for long periods , and i hate the on ear, they make my ear lump hurt -> that is why i would like an over ear headphone

4) the price should be until 200$, and i want them to be good for at least 2 years, because i am not so rich :))

5)i would like a little bit of bass, i do not want some headphones based on BASS, which will make my head explode, but i listen a lot of HIP-HOP songs, sometimes DUBSTEP, so....

I hope this make you understand better what i want , because i need the best answer, also i would like you to give me more than one model so i can choose also by design.

PS: i saw the seinheiser HD380, but from some reviews they said that this headphones are for studio and does not have good bass. So what will you recommend?

PS 2 : about sony mdr ma900, i read that they are very comfy and lightweight, that is why i mentioned them :D

I know this is going to sound very odd coming from someone on this site but I honestly suggest you check-out Skullcandy's SLYR gaming headset.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,715 of 5,364
So my first pair (and only pair) of good headphones were the Grado sr80i. Although they are amazing and absolutely love the way they sound I plan on upgrading soon. That's irrelevant. Anyways, I don't really have a good pair of portable IEM's that I can take with me everywhere. I'm looking for something under $100 that keeps sacrificing sound quality at a minimum. I'm not at all a bass head and prefer very clear mids and sparkling highs over booming bass.

I'm thinking I want something similar to the Grado sound signature, at least as close as possible, but then again they are the only good quality headphones that I've ever owned. I was thinking about maybe buying the monoprice mep-933's along with better tips as a starting point. I listen to a ton of live recordings of rock bands and I'm also big into folk music, both seem to fit the Grado sound signature quite well and that is why I was thinking I might want something that sounds similar to them.

I would also prefer something as cheap as possible without sacrificing sound quality too much because I look at these as my first pair of IEM's that I will eventually upgrade from. Any suggestions that you think might fit my needs would be awesome. Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back