Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,374 of 5,364
Hey, does anyone have the JLab Diego's? I know they are new but I can't find any reviews on them at all (besides amazon reviews wich are hit or miss).

www.amazon.com/JLab-Diego--Ear-Earbud-Black/dp/B00A17I8OM

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #2,375 of 5,364
Hey , My budget is $40-60. I already own a pair of Skullcandy in-ear buds only because a friend suggested I get them but I'm done with fad brands that have lots of hype. I need a company brand that's reliable and reputable, like what you audiophiles would suggest without me having to pay a ridiculous amount of money, haha.

I listen to a lot of rock, acoustic, pop, and hip hop. Stuff like - Cartel, Flyleaf, Paramore, Muse, Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, You Me At Six, Mayday Parade, The Script, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Adele, Natasha Begingfield, B.o.B, Ledisi, Alicia Keys, Beyonce, and sometimes Dubstep. I also listen to A LOT of classical music.   I was taking a look at the Sennheiser CX 300 II and Sennheiser CX 310, would that be good for a casual music lover such as myself? I don't want anything poorly built, something durable and will give me crisp sound with good bass but not too much that it'll distort my music. I need some in-ear buds, As long as it's in my price range, either or is fine I guess.   I need something that will stay deep in my ears enough that I won't hear much else  and helps to make the music sound more full or whatever, haha.  Oh and if possible, I'd prefer if I could buy it on through Amazon. Thank you! :)

Another small questions,  differences between earbuds and IEM's? Would I probably be able to tell the difference? Is it a big deal?

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,376 of 5,364
Quote:
[revised to include the full scope of what I'm looking for]

Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  1. Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  2. Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  3. Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.

Bump. I'm curious as to what you guys think for the earphones.
I've narrowed my headphones down to the CAL! or the SRH440.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,377 of 5,364
Quote:

The Cal is the best on your list, hands down.  The others are good, but the Cal's in another realm!!!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,378 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

The Cal is the best on your list, hands down.  The others are good, but the Cal's in another realm!!!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

I would like the CAL! more if the durability was better. The person I'm recommending headphones/earphones to tends to not take care of things, so I was leaning towards the SRH440 for build quality knowing the build quality of the SRH840.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,379 of 5,364
Quote:
I would like the CAL! more if the durability was better. The person I'm recommending headphones/earphones to tends to not take care of things, so I was leaning towards the SRH440 for build quality knowing the build quality of the SRH840.

Yeah the 440 would be better then, They are very tough, Same as the Monoprice, but they are BIG...   If she isn't a big sound nut, the 440 for sure..

You could also look into the Koss DJ100,   I'm a believer.  I got a set for under $50 and I'm floored.
The sound is fantastic, And built like a tank.  All Machined Aluminum, with lifetime Warranty!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357936977&sr=8-1&keywords=koss+dj100

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,380 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the 440 would be better then, They are very tough, Same as the Monoprice, but they are BIG...   If she isn't a big sound nut, the 440 for sure..

Yeah at the moment she's been using the cheapy-ol earsphones that you see in grocery stores (Skullcandy Ink'd, JVC Marshmallow, things of the sort), so the SRH440 should definitely be an upgrade for her.

As for earphones, she's kind of torn between the Groupon one (4 days left for the deal) and the Monoprice 8320 since both have received pretty positive reviews. MEElectronics also has some decent earphones.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,381 of 5,364
Quote:
Yeah at the moment she's been using the cheapy-ol earsphones that you see in grocery stores (Skullcandy Ink'd, JVC Marshmallow, things of the sort), so the SRH440 should definitely be an upgrade for her.

As for earphones, she's kind of torn between the Groupon one (4 days left for the deal) and the Monoprice 8320 since both have received pretty positive reviews. MEElectronics also has some decent earphones.

Wow, I'd skip the Groupon deal, Those are screaming don't buy me...You know the Monoprice sounded decent/I think the Hype/Price Ratio kinda took over.  They are Huge and the housing hurt your ears, then you have to find the right tips etc..  A big pain in the butt really.  For $8 they were decent, if you like bass light/ Good mids/ and wonky treble.

If you wanna keep it cost low, You're right MeE has some good offerings.  I still think the M6 is one of the better cheap in ears,
My next Fave would be the CW31, It has a very pleasing sound...  Some people pick the M9 as well, but it is very fit dependent. I could never get the perfect fit with them.
Check Amazon, For Mee products, they are a lot cheaper then buying right from Mee.  You really can't go wrong with any of their line up really.  The customer service is 2nd to none, and the products are great...

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,382 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, I'd skip the Groupon deal, Those are screaming don't buy me...You know the Monoprice sounded decent/I think the Hype/Price Ratio kinda took over.  They are Huge and the housing hurt your ears, then you have to find the right tips etc..  A big pain in the butt really.  For $8 they were decent, if you like bass light/ Good mids/ and wonky treble.

If you wanna keep it cost low, You're right MeE has some good offerings.  I still think the M6 is one of the better cheap in ears,
My next Fave would be the CW31, It has a very pleasing sound...  Some people pick the M9 as well, but it is very fit dependent. I could never get the perfect fit with them.
Check Amazon, For Mee products, they are a lot cheaper then buying right from Mee.  You really can't go wrong with any of their line up really.  The customer service is 2nd to none, and the products are great...

Ah OK thanks for the advice. I read about the Monoprice's large form factor/fit so that was the only thing detracting from recommending it since she has rather small ears.

I'll check in to the M9 some more. I have a pair and they...sound OK. Personally I don't like them too much and actually prefer the Sennheiser CX 300 because of its warmth and better timbre but at the cost of less instrument separation and clarity.

On second thought, I don't have the stock tips since it was handed to me from a friend, but I'll try the CX 300's tips on them. They sound a bit better with the CX 300's tips but the midrange is really recessed in comparison. Inserting in the earphones in to my ears makes a lot of "scrunching" noise too. I haven't encountered an earphone that makes that much noise. o.0

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,383 of 5,364
Hey guys, new here. First post and all that.

Anyways, I was hoping for some advice on in-ear headphones.

I'm looking for something that really keeps the sound in, rather than keeps other sounds out. Perhaps it seems silly, but the idea of bothering people with my music gives me a bit of anxiety.

Obviously I'd want something that sounds good too, but stopping sound leak is a really high priority for me.

I've already read through http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-268-iems-compared-visang-vs-k1-added-01-03-13, and based on that the Etymotic Research ER-4S seemed like it would probably be a good fit.

Basically I guess I wanted to ask if they keep sound in as well as they keep sound out? If not, or if you have no idea, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,384 of 5,364
Hi, years ago I had my friend buy me iMetal - i590s and boy was the review (multi IEM reviews) invaluabel to me. The only problems with them have been two things: the earflange tore a little one one side, that the fit isn't very good with them, and the other issue is that on both sides, they came apart and almost got ruined, but super glue fixed that. Now for my question: I am sending my girl a care package with a bunch of things, mostly electronics and toys. My sister gave me her Sansa clip + mp3 player. I am sending it to my girl as where she lives there is not variety and electronics is outrageously expensive. She is only 5 feet tall, has small hands, and I think, probably smallish ears She listens to music I tell her about, but she's mostly a Carpenters, Air Supply, ABBA type person (I know, I know). I want to get some IEMs with phone mic that will sound good, fit her well, not break easily, and be less than 25 dollars (my budget is VERY limiting). I was thinking the MEELectronics M6Ps, and ordered one off eBay, but the seller shipped me some M9s instead, which failed after only a few minutes use. I went back and forth with the seller and they finally refunded me, and admittedly I don't buy much, and have only bought off eBay twice before. Only one channel works on the phones, so they are useless and I guess I should throw them away. So now I need something else. I need help here, can anyone advise me on what to look at getting. I am willing to buy used to get a better quality item if necessary. Small ears clear highs without too much harshness average bass not prone to breaking mic built in for cell phone use around 25 bucks can be used suited for vanilla love song music

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,385 of 5,364
I'll ask again since my question keeps getting ignored...

I  can get both the Sennheiser MX 580 and the CX 281 for the same price, which one is a better deal? Which one sounds better and by how much?
I  can't get anything else where I live

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back