Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,356 of 5,364
Hi all, I'm seeking a high quality pair of IEMs for the gym (mostly weights, not running, although if suitable for running they would be used instead of my current crappy, but good for running gym ones!).  Budget £100-£200.  I listen to trance, progressive house, house and hip-hop and I love bass.  Outside the gym I have Ultrasone Pro-900's and love them to pieces.

I was considering the Shure SE 215's; Senheiser IE80 and the Sony XBA 3ip.  Would appreciate your feedback on which of these would be the most bassy headphones, ideally ones that do not sacrifice the rest of the sound range.  Open to other suggestions, but ideally IEMs that are easy to obtain in the UK.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,357 of 5,364
hi! im back with my newly bought sunrise xcape impressive edition :D

i've upgraded from a pair of cheap panasonic earphones to the sunrise xcape IE and i was wondering if it's normal that sometimes the vocals seems to be in the center but i hear like more drums on the left/right ear.

sometimes like 2 beats of drum on the right ear then 1 strum of guitar on the left ear. 

this feeling is really weird, i like to know if this is normal or that i received a pair of faulty earphones.

i am also wondering if it's possible that the sunrise xcape ie has a better "soundstage" that's why on the song where the drum beat that seems to be right ear biased seems more obvious in my xcape ie compared to my panasonic.

on the panasonic for the same song, the drum beat still sounds right ear biased but its close to the middle of my head. could this be what the pros call "analytical" and "soundstage"?

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,358 of 5,364
Hi all, I've been reading the reviews and IEM shootout on this site for a while and have come to a point where I'm ready to spend some cash but can't settle on a final model to go with.

I'm comfortable with spending around £100 to £200, mainly listen to EDM but stray into the world of folk, acoustic and jazz.  Ideally would like something with punchy bass / sub bass rumble but also the detail to pick out instruments in the other styles I like.

I had looked at the GR07, Atrio MG7, Velodyne vPulse and Beyer DTX / MMX 101 which are at the cheaper end and recently looked at the Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Gratitude models - has anyone any experience with these or could recommend anything else that may be suitable?

Cheers in advance.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,360 of 5,364
So far I've had Etymotic ER-6i, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and most recently the Beats headphones that come with the Rezound phone. The Etymotics and Fischers both had their left phone go out (replaced the ER-6i's more than once), so I guess I'm a little hard on them. They were also missing a lot of low end for me. Prefer a lot of clean bass, like when you get the punch of a bass drum, and a good amount of treble (clean cymbal crashes).

I'm looking for something very similar to the Beats, but with a less-muddy low end. At work I use Grado SR-60s that I love, but I haven't seen good reviews on their IEMs.

I listen to audio and video podcasts and Audible (books) on the train, but also alternative (Minus the Bear, Cure) and classic rock (U2, Dave Matthews Band, The Who). Using a Fiio E11 portable amp. I prefer IEMs so I don't have to hear people on the train. I'm a bit older, so comfort is also a factor; I am tired of having to continually keep pushing them back in regardless of the tips I try.

Budget is $150-200.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,362 of 5,364
Hello all.

I work at an animal shelter. When im around the dogs the barking is at a dangerous level. I have ear buds for my ipod but i have to blast it at an even more dangerous level to hear the music. Im looking for something thats under 100 that will block the noise and let me enjoy my music without going deaf.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2,363 of 5,364
This thread could really use some more vets to chime in and help..  my experience only goes so far!  These noobs need your help!

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for new headphones to replace (or potentially upgrade from) my trusty old koss porta pros, preferably supraaural, though no real preference. The most important considerations I have are (in ranking of priority):
  • comfort
  • sound quality
  • budget ($100/£65)

I see the AKG K403 for GBP18 right now, that's a good side-grade that I just made.  No more boomy bass, bit more comfy, great soundstage and vocals.  You can also consider moving up to some Grados.  The Philips Downtowns are super-comfy on-ears, but the treble rolls off a bit compared to the Portas.  XB500s, try to find one, like wearing nothing at all!

Quote:
I need help choosing some portable phones. I'm not very savvy on these matters and i have a tight budget (below $30).
after spending the day searching the web for the best value i can afford i've reached a list of , what seems to be , very interesting phones. but i can´t make my mind about them:

Sennheiser hd 219(they are $26 in slickdeals), monoprice 8320($7), audio-technica fw-33 bijoue(around $9 with a deal), koss ksc75($15),  coby cv-185($10), MEElectronics ht-21($25), koss sportapro($23), koss portapro($35), sennheiser px100(if i can find them at $35).

Why not get both the 8320 and 8323 for under $30+shipping?

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm new on this forum and i need your help. I'm searching for a good pair of headphones with my budget of around 100€ and i came up with these two:

Audio technica ws-55, found at the price of 82€
Denon ahd 1100  for 95€

I listen to a wide range of music, from rap to rock, but also classical, so i want a pair of headphones which can give me good basses, but not sacrificing mids, higs and clarity of sound in general. Firstly i also considered the Grado sr80, but, thanks to this forum, i heard of their sound leak, that is incompatible with my purposes.

p.s. I'm italian, sorry for my bad english :)

I saw the Creative Aurvana Live on special on the Creative IT site for EUR40 last time I was in Italy... keep an eye out for that!

Quote:
Have the sony v6, akg k81, soundmagic e10, vsonic gr02 and the koss ksc75s and out of all of them I really love the overall sound and the way vocals sound on the ksc75. It's an exciting sound!  But people look at me funny when I'm going down the street because of the leakage. So is there anything close/better? Prefer to keep it under the $100 mark.

Cheers! 

[I find the v6 a little aggressive at the very top frequencies but nice space, and can deal with the most complex music, e10s are great (though I preferred the pl 30s), gr02s are thumpy thumpy at times I love them at times I think they are a bit too bassy. ]

What do you think of the K81DJ?  I think they're not bad, and you probably just have upgrade-itis (like all of us! - welcome!)
The ZX700 is less aggressive than the V6 but loses a bit of sub-bass to it.  Again, as above, may want to think of the CAL!s.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2,364 of 5,364
[revised to include the full scope of what I'm looking for]

Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  1. Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  2. Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  3. Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,365 of 5,364
So when my koss ksc75 arrive I'll spend a few weeks listening to both to work out what I like and dislike about both before setting a budget and looking at something full-size for home listening. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful.

Just slap those ksc75's on a parts express headband and call it a day! I still can't believe how good they sound.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,366 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all, I'm seeking a high quality pair of IEMs for the gym (mostly weights, not running, although if suitable for running they would be used instead of my current crappy, but good for running gym ones!).  Budget £100-£200.  I listen to trance, progressive house, house and hip-hop and I love bass.  Outside the gym I have Ultrasone Pro-900's and love them to pieces.

I was considering the Shure SE 215's; Senheiser IE80 and the Sony XBA 3ip.  Would appreciate your feedback on which of these would be the most bassy headphones, ideally ones that do not sacrifice the rest of the sound range.  Open to other suggestions, but ideally IEMs that are easy to obtain in the UK.

I haven't had the chance to listen to XBA-3, but I think IE80 fits your need better than SE215, since SE215's treble is a bit recessed. IE80 also has that bass tuning screws too so you can adjust the bass to your liking. It's best if you can demo IE80 first though since the fit isn't comfy for some including me.
Quote:
hi! im back with my newly bought sunrise xcape impressive edition :D

i've upgraded from a pair of cheap panasonic earphones to the sunrise xcape IE and i was wondering if it's normal that sometimes the vocals seems to be in the center but i hear like more drums on the left/right ear.

sometimes like 2 beats of drum on the right ear then 1 strum of guitar on the left ear. 

this feeling is really weird, i like to know if this is normal or that i received a pair of faulty earphones.

i am also wondering if it's possible that the sunrise xcape ie has a better "soundstage" that's why on the song where the drum beat that seems to be right ear biased seems more obvious in my xcape ie compared to my panasonic.

on the panasonic for the same song, the drum beat still sounds right ear biased but its close to the middle of my head. could this be what the pros call "analytical" and "soundstage"?

That's normal, and that's exactly what soundstage is. It's intended to enable you perceive the placement of instruments in any given recording venue (ie. studio, concert hall etc.). It might take you some time to get used to. For more information refer to this : http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
Quote:
Hi all, I've been reading the reviews and IEM shootout on this site for a while and have come to a point where I'm ready to spend some cash but can't settle on a final model to go with.

I'm comfortable with spending around £100 to £200, mainly listen to EDM but stray into the world of folk, acoustic and jazz.  Ideally would like something with punchy bass / sub bass rumble but also the detail to pick out instruments in the other styles I like.

I had looked at the GR07, Atrio MG7, Velodyne vPulse and Beyer DTX / MMX 101 which are at the cheaper end and recently looked at the Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Gratitude models - has anyone any experience with these or could recommend anything else that may be suitable?

Cheers in advance.

I have not owned or heard GR07, MG7, vPulse and the Beyers, but based on your criteria I recommend Yamaha EPH-100. Nice bass, spacious and detailed soundstage for the price.
Quote:
So far I've had Etymotic ER-6i, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and most recently the Beats headphones that come with the Rezound phone. The Etymotics and Fischers both had their left phone go out (replaced the ER-6i's more than once), so I guess I'm a little hard on them. They were also missing a lot of low end for me. Prefer a lot of clean bass, like when you get the punch of a bass drum, and a good amount of treble (clean cymbal crashes).

I'm looking for something very similar to the Beats, but with a less-muddy low end. At work I use Grado SR-60s that I love, but I haven't seen good reviews on their IEMs.

I listen to audio and video podcasts and Audible (books) on the train, but also alternative (Minus the Bear, Cure) and classic rock (U2, Dave Matthews Band, The Who). Using a Fiio E11 portable amp. I prefer IEMs so I don't have to hear people on the train. I'm a bit older, so comfort is also a factor; I am tired of having to continually keep pushing them back in regardless of the tips I try.

Budget is $150-200.

Thanks!

Since you use your IEMs on the train, environment noise might overwhelm your IEM's low-end output. In that kind of environment I do recommend (and personally prefer) IEMs with more low-end emphasis to counter the noise. Sound/budget wise I recommend Yamaha EPH-100, but its design may be a bit uncomfy/hard to fit for some (for me too), so I'd also recommend Shure SE215 / SE215LTD, though you might find the treble slightly lacking. The Shures also have replaceable cable; there's reports of early batch SE215 having cable connection durability issues, but I personally have never encountered any problem with my pair.
Quote:
Hello all.

I work at an animal shelter. When im around the dogs the barking is at a dangerous level. I have ear buds for my ipod but i have to blast it at an even more dangerous level to hear the music. Im looking for something thats under 100 that will block the noise and let me enjoy my music without going deaf.

Shure SE215 / SE215LTD. Read my comments above, but it's comfy and isolates well.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,367 of 5,364
Hello people,

I have been lurking for a long time and normally find answers to my questions in other threads, but this time I really need some help.

Over the past year I have owned a pair of UE600, which broke after 3-4 months (cable ruined in several places), and a Shure SE215 which broke after 4 months (not a cable problem, don't know what's wrong but the left earbud stopped working).

My eyes are set on the Vsonic GR07, I'm a metal listener and I have read great reviews about those.
So my two questions are:

1. Is the GR07 durable? Or would it stop working after 6 months or so?
2. Does anybody have experience with ebay seller "bigbargainonline"? I'd like to purchase them from him, but want to make sure they are not fake.

Thank you for your help!!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,368 of 5,364
depends on how well you take care of the gr07. but its pretty rocksolid. my se215 died after 8 months as well. but i think it was primarily my fault. good customer service though. got it replaced quickly. plus shure is in niles, il which is just north of me.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,369 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello people,

I have been lurking for a long time and normally find answers to my questions in other threads, but this time I really need some help.

Over the past year I have owned a pair of UE600, which broke after 3-4 months (cable ruined in several places), and a Shure SE215 which broke after 4 months (not a cable problem, don't know what's wrong but the left earbud stopped working).

My eyes are set on the Vsonic GR07, I'm a metal listener and I have read great reviews about those.
So my two questions are:

1. Is the GR07 durable? Or would it stop working after 6 months or so?
2. Does anybody have experience with ebay seller "bigbargainonline"? I'd like to purchase them from him, but want to make sure they are not fake.

Thank you for your help!!!

Can't tell you anything about the 07's but I'll let you know BigBarginonline is a stand up seller.  I bought all my other Vsonics off him with no problem.  All packaged really good and shipped pronto.  Also before the Astrotec AM90's were being sold here in the states, I emailed BigBargin asking about them and he went out on his own time, got me a pair and sent them to me.  That's above and beyond if you ask me...  Now he sells them on his ebay site!!!   Great seller for sure!!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #2,370 of 5,364
Quote:
depends on how well you take care of the gr07. but its pretty rocksolid. my se215 died after 8 months as well. but i think it was primarily my fault. good customer service though. got it replaced quickly. plus shure is in niles, il which is just north of me.

Thanks for the answer. I generally take good care of them. I'm just tired of them dying after 4 months, I might need to be more careful next time.
Since you have tried both of those IEMs, which one do you prefer? I'll mainly be listening to metal, heavy rock music.

Quote:
Can't tell you anything about the 07's but I'll let you know BigBarginonline is a stand up seller.  I bought all my other Vsonics off him with no problem.  All packaged really good and shipped pronto.  Also before the Astrotec AM90's were being sold here in the states, I emailed BigBargin asking about them and he went out on his own time, got me a pair and sent them to me.  That's above and beyond if you ask me...  Now he sells them on his ebay site!!!   Great seller for sure!!!

Thanks Magic! If I go with the 07's I'll definitely get them from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back