Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,251 of 5,364
May I ask for a comparison between the Brainwavs M2 and R1?

I am looking to get IEMs in their price range or slightly more ( up to UM1's price, but trying to keep it as low as possible) that has a more natural sound to it to replace my dying Soundmagic MP21. Hence the decision to stay away from BAs and go for dynamic drivers. I used to own UM2s and Livewires Duals, which I feel suited my musical taste with the warm and smoother sound. The Liverwires were a little too edgy while the UM2s were laid-back which I liked but the bass felt a little weird, perhaps a little unnatural. I seek a smoother type of sound, with more emphasis on mids and bass. Sibilance is a no-no, but treble extension is definitely welcome but I doubt at my price range I can get something that full-ranged. I like forward, clear mids, with laid-back treble to reduce listening fatigue on-the-go.

Still, the most important factors to me are comfort and isolation which is why I find it difficult to find suitable dynamic driver earphones due to their general lack of isolation. I find the isolation level of the Westone universals adequate, so I hope to get something to that level or just slightly less for everyday use in commute (until I get my next set of CIEMs - I lost my Liverwires...). Comfort-wise I am fine with almost any kind of eartips, shallow or deep, though I would prefer not to use foam tips. Over-the-ears or straight-down is fine for me.

I listen mostly to rock and roll, some blues-rock, eg. Oasis, Led Zeppelin, The Strokes, John Mayer, Kasabian, and some J-Rock. 

The reason I chose the R1 is because of the dual dynamic driver configuration seems to be interesting while the over-the-ear design keeps things familiar, and hopefully with a good fit I can get good isolation. There is just not enough reviews to go around for the R1. The M2 I chose as I think the sound signature suits my taste based purely on reviews, and from pictures the build quality looks great especially the stiffer wires which I kind of like.

Which of these two would you recommend? If you have some, what are other recommendations besides these? I use my phone for mobile listening, and considering getting a small player like the Sansa Clip in future. Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,252 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys 

Im in the market for a new iem but im confused in choosing which one
My music is mainly rock like 90% and 10% are other genres like dance , techno , hip hop country etc. 
So far ive owned the klipsch image s3 , the rha ma-350 and the velodyne V-pulse , they sounded good but they were lacking for rock 
generally ive heard that the best sound sig for rock is a fun V shaped one so im looking for one of these 
Clarity is important as is instrument separation , basically i want the perfect fun sound for rock thats not lacking in bass or clarity as well as timbre and good presentation for electric guitars 
My DAP is a 30gb ipod video ( no amps or any type of set up)
if you have any other suggestions please let me know 

My budget is max $100
so far im choosing between :

Fischer Audio Consonance
Klipsch X10
Shure Se215
UE 700 ( ive heard they sound good with metal )

If you can add to the list please do 

Thanks 

Hello fellas,

I have been searching through this site all night trying to decide which IEM's to purchase.  I quoted this guy cuz I pretty much have the same earphones in mind.  I too am deciding between the X10, se215, and UE700.  Where me and this poster differ is when it comes to genres of music.  I must admit that 99% of the time I listen to sports talk (Jim Rome).  But when it comes to music, which is obviously why I'm here, its about 70% 90's Rap - 10% R&B/Soul - 10% Led/Floyd/Metallica/Ozzy - 10% Reggae

Deciding Factors:
- Bass .. do not want the distorted, dirty, messy bass. I would like to hear some sort of "punch" I guess you guys say. I mean I do listen to rap which needs that bass to kick in to complete the listening experience
- Clarity .. in the select newer rap I listen to the producers nowadays add all these beautiful sounds that you don't hear on crummy equipment. I don't want to miss a chime, or click, or whatever.. I want to hear every instrument
- Durability .. The sound is by far a higher priority, but I use my bicycle when I need to get around town.  I also will be using these in the gym.  Oh and I'm not a runner!  So I need something that will not fall out of my ear and can handle some sweat.  Oh and I'm not rollin in dough so it has to last me a while.
- Isolation .. this has to do with outside noise correct?  I do not want to hear the horrid rhianna and such that my gym blares while I'm trying to get my swole on. At the same time I'll be on a bike so I guess I have to hear something? I dont know.. its a toss up.  Just rate them best to worst in this category.. its not much of a deciding factor since I figure all 3 do a well enough job.
- Comfort .. would not be a deciding factor unless a tie breaker is needed.  honestly i hate all IEM cuz they make my ears sore but am ready to wear them daily and get used to them.

In my mind I have been leaning toward the UE700's, although some of the remarks about the bass have me worried.  With those as my starting point, I have taken notice of the SE215's which seem cool but I'm unfamiliar with the brand.  The X10 I didn't read much about but stumbled on it on this very thread.. heck the post suggesting them is probably on the same page this post will be on.  The price looked appealing when seeing what it originally was priced @ with the mic ($100 more for a mic and controls?? WOW).  All suggestions and help is appreciated.  I'm so glad I found this site.  I had first started looking at what beats by dre had to offer but I always do a thorough investigation on reviews and customer feedback to make an educated decision.  It became quite clear after just a couple of minutes that the beats were an awful idea and that I had no clue what I was doing.  Luckily this amazing forum popped up and now I feel like I'm in good hands.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #2,253 of 5,364
Quote:

I am looking to get IEMs in their price range or slightly more ( up to UM1's price, but trying to keep it as low as possible) that has a more natural sound to it to replace my dying Soundmagic MP21. Hence the decision to stay away from BAs and go for dynamic drivers. I used to own UM2s and Livewires Duals, which I feel suited my musical taste with the warm and smoother sound. The Liverwires were a little too edgy while the UM2s were laid-back which I liked but the bass felt a little weird, perhaps a little unnatural. I seek a smoother type of sound, with more emphasis on mids and bass. Sibilance is a no-no, but treble extension is definitely welcome but I doubt at my price range I can get something that full-ranged. I like forward, clear mids, with laid-back treble to reduce listening fatigue on-the-go.

Still, the most important factors to me are comfort and isolation which is why I find it difficult to find suitable dynamic driver earphones due to their general lack of isolation. I find the isolation level of the Westone universals adequate, so I hope to get something to that level or just slightly less for everyday use in commute (until I get my next set of CIEMs - I lost my Liverwires...). Comfort-wise I am fine with almost any kind of eartips, shallow or deep, though I would prefer not to use foam tips. Over-the-ears or straight-down is fine for me.

I listen mostly to rock and roll, some blues-rock, eg. Oasis, Led Zeppelin, The Strokes, John Mayer, Kasabian, and some J-Rock. 

The reason I chose the R1 is because of the dual dynamic driver configuration seems to be interesting while the over-the-ear design keeps things familiar, and hopefully with a good fit I can get good isolation. There is just not enough reviews to go around for the R1. The M2 I chose as I think the sound signature suits my taste based purely on reviews, and from pictures the build quality looks great especially the stiffer wires which I kind of like.

Which of these two would you recommend? If you have some, what are other recommendations besides these? I use my phone for mobile listening, and considering getting a small player like the Sansa Clip in future. Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

I would recommend the R1 over the M2. IMHO M2 are just too dark. They're just too old, not up to the current crop of best bang-for-buck iems.
I would urge you to consider the GR06, they have the smooth laid-back sound, non-fatiguing and the best cord. The R1 have more bass impact and a bit more sparkle at the top. The GR06 is warm and has a more forward mid range, maybe because of the tamer highs. They are more resolving than the M2s, probably on par with R1 but the R1 to me just sounds slightly unnatural. Maybe it's the dual dynamics not blending well somehow. The R1 are still awesome though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,255 of 5,364
Hello fellas,

I have been searching through this site all night trying to decide which IEM's to purchase.  I quoted this guy cuz I pretty much have the same earphones in mind.  I too am deciding between the X10, se215, and UE700.  Where me and this poster differ is when it comes to genres of music.  I must admit that 99% of the time I listen to sports talk (Jim Rome).  But when it comes to music, which is obviously why I'm here, its about 70% 90's Rap - 10% R&B/Soul - 10% Led/Floyd/Metallica/Ozzy - 10% Reggae

Deciding Factors:
- Bass .. do not want the distorted, dirty, messy bass. I would like to hear some sort of "punch" I guess you guys say. I mean I do listen to rap which needs that bass to kick in to complete the listening experience
- Clarity .. in the select newer rap I listen to the producers nowadays add all these beautiful sounds that you don't hear on crummy equipment. I don't want to miss a chime, or click, or whatever.. I want to hear every instrument
- Durability .. The sound is by far a higher priority, but I use my bicycle when I need to get around town.  I also will be using these in the gym.  Oh and I'm not a runner!  So I need something that will not fall out of my ear and can handle some sweat.  Oh and I'm not rollin in dough so it has to last me a while.
- Isolation .. this has to do with outside noise correct?  I do not want to hear the horrid rhianna and such that my gym blares while I'm trying to get my swole on. At the same time I'll be on a bike so I guess I have to hear something? I dont know.. its a toss up.  Just rate them best to worst in this category.. its not much of a deciding factor since I figure all 3 do a well enough job.
- Comfort .. would not be a deciding factor unless a tie breaker is needed.  honestly i hate all IEM cuz they make my ears sore but am ready to wear them daily and get used to them.

In my mind I have been leaning toward the UE700's, although some of the remarks about the bass have me worried.  With those as my starting point, I have taken notice of the SE215's which seem cool but I'm unfamiliar with the brand.  The X10 I didn't read much about but stumbled on it on this very thread.. heck the post suggesting them is probably on the same page this post will be on.  The price looked appealing when seeing what it originally was priced @ with the mic ($100 more for a mic and controls?? WOW).  All suggestions and help is appreciated.  I'm so glad I found this site.  I had first started looking at what beats by dre had to offer but I always do a thorough investigation on reviews and customer feedback to make an educated decision.  It became quite clear after just a couple of minutes that the beats were an awful idea and that I had no clue what I was doing.  Luckily this amazing forum popped up and now I feel like I'm in good hands.

the x10s are still going for 89 on amazon, just fyi if you didnt know or read through the giant x10 thread.

i have the se215 for a year now and i like them a lot. The bass imo is punchy and clean. Mids are definitely present and warm. Highs are clear and slightly rolled. Depends on how you eq them too. In the end they more than suit my needs. I listen to mainly edm, hiphop, rap, metal. i cant so much since i dont have a lot of experience with dozens of other iems; but from my point of view i would recommend them.

was actually thinking about pulling the trigger on the ue700 and a couple others. not sure if i am or not. the reviews for the most part makes it seem pretty decent. no hands on experience with them, yet.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,256 of 5,364
Hey! I made a post about this, If I get a decent response from this thread, I will quite happily delete my post! I was just unsure of this forums etiquette. I've been browsing reviews on this wonderful site for a few days now, hours on end, screen through reviews of In ear headphones. Here is what I'm looking for, and my problems!

Desired: 150$ (flexable) in ear headphone.

- No behind the ear, no giant rubber piece touching the outer ear.

- Small size, and very comfortable for extended daily use (I listen to audiobooks at work for long hours)

- Damage resistant/durable metal housing. I do not shear cords, nor do I pull them out, but the headphone itself must be nigh uncrushable. 

- Tangle resistant. I love the fabric cords, and have yet to delve into flat cords, but my headphones home is in pockets, and not a case.

Music I listen to often:

- Electronic such as Pretty lights, Nero, STS9 and bassy goodness

- New school Folk, 6-10 piece orchestrations of indie folk goodness

- Experimental minimal, Electronic, quiet, sensitive lows and quiet highs (The Notwist, m83, Architecture in Helsinki)

- Rap and spoken word (Deltron 3030, Why)

- High vocal intensive female/operatic (St. Vincent, Feist, Cat Power)

Now heres the catch.

I am currently living in Korea, and due to the restriction of high import tax, high shipping cost, and difficulty/restrictions of Korean cards, I will be ordering from G-Market. A site somewhere between ebay and amazon (all new, not really 'bidding' but multipule sellers and frequent listing/removals)
http://english.gmarket.co.kr/
The site has an english translation, but the listings themselves are most commonly korean. So, if you want to be a dear, you can search the site yourself before making a suggestion, as the prices will be radically different than what you'll find in the west. 

Please help. I'm the type to over-research, and I'm indecisive as funk. I will be making purchase next Friday, the 13th.

Current interests, as advised through perusing; eph-100, shure 215, nocs ns400, shure scl2, klipsch x10

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,257 of 5,364
You know what.....I saw the Vsonic GR01 around somewhere for about $163, (that is damn cheap) a few days ago. For the life of me I cannot find that sale again. I don't remember which site I saw it on. :mad: Should of book marked it.

$163 is a steal for GR01s. I payed a little over $220(shipping included) to get them next day. I think what I payed was justified, they are quite nice.
Haha, thats a facepalm moment not bookmarking the site you found em on. If you do happen to come across them again let me know, i have some friends that may be interested!

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,258 of 5,364
Quote:

I am looking to get IEMs in their price range or slightly more ( up to UM1's price, but trying to keep it as low as possible) that has a more natural sound to it to replace my dying Soundmagic MP21. Hence the decision to stay away from BAs and go for dynamic drivers. I used to own UM2s and Livewires Duals, which I feel suited my musical taste with the warm and smoother sound.

Hi all, I have since added the VSonic GR06 and Rockit Sounds R-50 to the mix. Would anyone care to compare them in terms of what I am looking for in my next IEMs?

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,259 of 5,364
I'am a little stuck there...

I've been using HD228 for quite some time now, but it's getting uncomfortable and doesn't sound as good as it used to etc, etc.. 
biggrin.gif

So I decided it's a time for a portable around-ear headphones.
Now let me tell you that I really do like BASS. However, I'am not as much into it to sacrifice everything else, so I ruled out XB500's (they are not very portable neither..) After hours of reading I finally decided to get either UR-55 or S600. Which one do you think is better? Which one has more bass
L3000.gif
, better soundstage, more clarity... Which should be more comfortable?

I'am aware that KOSS has little to no sound isolation, but I could probably live with that if they sound better than JVC.

Also, is there any sense in these negative reviews? 
http://translate.google.lt/translate?hl=lt&sl=af&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalversus.com%2Fheadphones%2Fkoss-ur-55-p11760%2Ftest.html

http://translate.google.lt/translate?hl=lt&sl=ga&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expertreviews.co.uk%2Fheadphones%2F1282846%2Fjvc-ha-s600

Or did they just tested them out of the box without burning them in? 
The impressions from forum members seem to be quite opposite...

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,260 of 5,364
should i buy the sennheiser px 80 ii? i'm a casual listener and i listen to rock,rap,metal and house music.

portability,comfort and sound quality are the main issues.
My Budget is kinda low and im get these for 1800 Indian Rupees(35$) so if u feel i can get a better pair for around 40$ pls tell me and please note that Only Sennheiser,Sony and Certain Audio Technica products are available in India.

Thanks 

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,261 of 5,364
Quote:
the x10s are still going for 89 on amazon, just fyi if you didnt know or read through the giant x10 thread.
i have the se215 for a year now and i like them a lot. The bass imo is punchy and clean. Mids are definitely present and warm. Highs are clear and slightly rolled. Depends on how you eq them too. In the end they more than suit my needs. I listen to mainly edm, hiphop, rap, metal. i cant so much since i dont have a lot of experience with dozens of other iems; but from my point of view i would recommend them.
was actually thinking about pulling the trigger on the ue700 and a couple others. not sure if i am or not. the reviews for the most part makes it seem pretty decent. no hands on experience with them, yet.

Yeah thats the post I read on them (X10).  That's why at the last minute they entered the race!  All three of them (UE700, SE215, X10) fit my budget.  Just looking for which ones would best fit my needs.  I may have to go with the SE215 since you say the bass is legit.  Now do I have the patience to wait for another persons advice or do I just go ahead and purchase?!  It's going to be hard but I'll try my best to wait for that 2nd opinion.  I appreciate the response.  Thanks!

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,262 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah thats the post I read on them (X10).  That's why at the last minute they entered the race!  All three of them (UE700, SE215, X10) fit my budget.  Just looking for which ones would best fit my needs.  I may have to go with the SE215 since you say the bass is legit.  Now do I have the patience to wait for another persons advice or do I just go ahead and purchase?!  It's going to be hard but I'll try my best to wait for that 2nd opinion.  I appreciate the response.  Thanks!

Think of this,
SE215 - Dynamic
X10 - 1BA
UE700 - 2BA

maybe u will say these mean nothing lol

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,263 of 5,364
Technically, UE700 is better. (correct me if im wrong)
if i have to pick, i will pick UE700.
i think all these 3 IEMs have some amounts of bass.

SE215 has the best isolation.
X10 is the smallest/lightest.

Both UE700 and X10 are comfort and easy to insert.
SE215 a little bit harder since it's cord over-ear.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,264 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks, I'll give them a try!

I actually ended up getting the TDK BA200s instead of the Yamahas due to shipping issues, and even after just a few hours, they're lovely.  Have the volume high enough that I'm wincing in anticipation of high notes as they approach, and then it comes out completely painless :D  The over the ear style isn't interfering with my glasses, either.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,265 of 5,364
Hey guys 

Im in the market for a new iem but im confused in choosing which one
My music is mainly rock like 90% and 10% are other genres like dance , techno , hip hop country etc. 
So far ive owned the klipsch image s3 , the rha ma-350 and the velodyne V-pulse , they sounded good but they were lacking for rock 
generally ive heard that the best sound sig for rock is a fun V shaped one so im looking for one of these 
Clarity is important as is instrument separation , basically i want the perfect fun sound for rock thats not lacking in bass or clarity as well as timbre and good presentation for electric guitars 
My DAP is a 30gb ipod video ( no amps or any type of set up)
if you have any other suggestions please let me know 

My budget is max $110 now
so far im choosing between :

Fischer Audio Consonance
Klipsch X10
Shure Se215
UE 700 ( ive heard they sound good with metal )

If you can add to the list please do 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back