Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,191 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond TwinQy! I just have a few more follow up questions: What size ears do you have? So I can follow up on the bad fit on the Dj100. And what is your take on the RP-HTX7? I've been looking at them for a while, but am wondering how exactly they stack up to the other headphones (especially the dt-235). There's just something about that retro styling that I love. Cheers!
Edit: Just realized I confused the portable headphones category for the full headphones category. Thought portable was referring to smaller headphones not like the big ones for DJ's and etc.

You mean the ones that look like earmuffs? Dunno, have only seen them, never heard them.

If you're using them outside as well inside, portable forums are still fine to be in.

Quote:
I'm looking to buy IEM's for up to 40-50$ and I could really use some help. I listen to various kinds of music, but mostly to prog rock, jazz (everything from swing and vocal jazz to free jazz and avant-garde jazz), as well as to some classical music.

I'm not well versed in the headphone and audio terminology, but I'd like IEM's which sound as close to the way a track was originally intended to be listened. So I guess I'm looking for an analytical, resolving, detailed, natural(?) sounding IEM's, of course good comfortability and isolation are always a plus. I don't want an overly bassy IEM's, which seems to be quite common in this price range, but I also wouldn't want lows to be poorly articulated; I'd like for it to sound just right, if you know what I mean; well as close to just right as one can get in this price range...

Maybe a musical example, i.e. which IEM's would you suggest for something like this: John Coltrane - The Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost?

I made sort of a shortlist based on some reviews and opinions I've gathered from here and some other sites:

Soundmagic E10
Soundmagic E30
RadiopPaq Jazz
Xears XE200PRO
Rock-It Sounds R-20
Brainwavz M5
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz R1
Brainwavz Beta
Sony MH1C
VSonic GR99
VSonic GR02 (which one? There's seems to be quite a few different models of these)
VSonic VC02 - these are my current frontrunners, according to what I read here about them they might be the closest to what I'm looking for?

All opinions are welcome. Thank you. :)

Would sound like the E30 and the GR99. R-20 as well. Am looking into the VC02 personally, hopefully, they're as cracked up as people say.

Quote:
Hmm, thanks. I think I'll rather play it safe and just wait for a good deal on the GR07 MKII (hopefully) and probably searching out for other IEMs in the meantime. Yeah, one thing in particular I've noticed about listening to Mono with the RE0 was it was great hearing the soft melodies right before the drums and heavy distortions. But when the drums hit they don't really hit hard, I mean you can still hear them if you try but they don't stand out. But I really loved the clarity and the feeling of hearing the individual instruments when the music slowed down.

Agree completely.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2,193 of 5,364
Quote:
ER4P. Actually the HF5, because of the budget. Probably the most isolating IEM on the planet. Straight-down style for them is fine too. 

Again, Etys for isolation. No question (hey that rhymed). A concern that could be made is that these do have some treble boost. EQ will do wonders for it, but just to let you know. The bass isn't very rumbly, better described as a tight, fast punch.

Yeah, been reading various reviews, and I'm concerned about the treble for the Etys, especially as I'm not sure I really want to take the time to learn how I'd fix that right off the bat.  I'd rather sacrifice a bit of isolation than have painful music in the meantime.

I was considering these four after reading the reviews: Sony XBA-1, TDK BA200, TDK EB950, and Yamaha EPH-100.  Any thoughts on those?

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,194 of 5,364
Guys, I've been looking at the TDK MT300 apparently they are sold out everywhere.

Any suggestions to find one similar? IEM

I will be using an android device for my music, usually listening to trance, rock, pop, country.

ty

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,195 of 5,364
Hey I'm looking for a fun sounding iem/ciem. Budget isn't an issue. I was thinking of the Unique Melody Merlin or a Heir 8.a with either a Ray Samuels Shadow or the newer Tralucent T1. Would anyone be able to recommend any other fun sounding customs?
Thanks.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #2,196 of 5,364
M80s would be the obvious choices. Couldn't get a good listen with the UE6000 since it was at a demo stand

Sorry, haven't heard the Bass Edition, but can do the GR07 vs RE0 from memory. In short, the RE0 does not do post-rock as well. And that's my main genre apart from Jazz, so most of the stuff I tried with them was post-rock to one extent or another. The VSonics have more body, better timbre. I happen to like the RE0 signature more, since that's my preference, but the note presentation is lean compared to the GR07, unassuming. I want my epic Mono crescendos to really hit me hard! 

Build is also vastly improved, as well as comfort and ergonomics in general.

ER4P. Actually the HF5, because of the budget. Probably the most isolating IEM on the planet. Straight-down style for them is fine too. 

Again, Etys for isolation. No question (hey that rhymed). A concern that could be made is that these do have some treble boost. EQ will do wonders for it, but just to let you know. The bass isn't very rumbly, better described as a tight, fast punch.

The DT235 would probably work better for the alt rock and oldies. More comfortable than the DJ100 as well, though I don't think I got a good fit with those (they are great for electronic though). Downtowns could also work for fashion, decent sound, on-ear so the glasses issue is mitigated.

GR07s do great with rock. Sound preferences, comfort, isolation a factor?

More mids than the GR06? Wow. MH1C come close, but also tons more bass. GR01s and the R50 are more clarity oriented, not exactly warm (though the note presentation on the GR01 is soft, and they are balanced in the end). GR07s play into the balanced spectrum pretty nicely. Slightly warm, great separation for sure. Soundstage is a bit above average-sized.

i see,alright, maybe i will say balanced sounding. i like the presentation of the mids from the GR06 , coming from a ES7 and a M50, i listen to several genres, mostly classical, soft rock, rock, jazz, pop, RnB, trance, haha almost all in fact.
separation and soundstage are really impt. then balanced sound i suppose. i like the BA200 sounding (though lack of bass ) , GR06 ( slightly low performing highs ) , Astrotec aM90 (mixed-up soundstage ) , es7 ( low soundstage ), m50 ( warm and dull feeling )

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,197 of 5,364
Quote:
Yeah, been reading various reviews, and I'm concerned about the treble for the Etys, especially as I'm not sure I really want to take the time to learn how I'd fix that right off the bat.  I'd rather sacrifice a bit of isolation than have painful music in the meantime.

I was considering these four after reading the reviews: Sony XBA-1, TDK BA200, TDK EB950, and Yamaha EPH-100.  Any thoughts on those?

Not sure about the TDKs (too many models to make sense of it all, really confusing lineup). Between the XBA-1 and EPH-100, the Yamahas would probably suit your sound and isolation needs the best (very good at isolating, between Westone and Ety levels).

Quote:
i see,alright, maybe i will say balanced sounding. i like the presentation of the mids from the GR06 , coming from a ES7 and a M50, i listen to several genres, mostly classical, soft rock, rock, jazz, pop, RnB, trance, haha almost all in fact.
separation and soundstage are really impt. then balanced sound i suppose. i like the BA200 sounding (though lack of bass ) , GR06 ( slightly low performing highs ) , Astrotec aM90 (mixed-up soundstage ) , es7 ( low soundstage ), m50 ( warm and dull feeling )

Still sounds like the GR07 to me. Fantastic all-rounder. More treble than the GR06 for sure. Never heard the M50 as warm, more towards the opposite of the spectrum. So not sure about that.

Quote:
Guys, I've been looking at the TDK MT300 apparently they are sold out everywhere.

Any suggestions to find one similar? IEM

I will be using an android device for my music, usually listening to trance, rock, pop, country.

ty

Budget? Sorry, I forgot.

Check the stock online?

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,198 of 5,364
Still sounds like the GR07 to me. Fantastic all-rounder. More treble than the GR06 for sure. Never heard the M50 as warm, more towards the opposite of the spectrum. So not sure about that.

i see, is the imaging and separation good on the GR07 ? compared to R50 ? i heard R50s are really impressive

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,199 of 5,364
Quote:
i see, is the imaging and separation good on the GR07 ? compared to R50 ? i heard R50s are really impressive

They are very impressive. The signature makes it really easy to dissect stuff, but the GR07s are no slouch. Imaging is about on par. Some people like to claim that the VSonics have a more natural presentation, but I wouldn't know about that. Natural is such a strange term.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,201 of 5,364
I've been in the market for some $60-$70 on ear headphones, but I just can't seem to find any that I like. I tried getting some at Best Buy today; The Urban Ears Plattan, but those were just too uncomfortable.. They sounded great, but I couldn't keep them on my head for more than 30 minutes. Please post any suggestions that might help :)

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,202 of 5,364
Quote:
I've been in the market for some $60-$70 on ear headphones, but I just can't seem to find any that I like. I tried getting some at Best Buy today; The Urban Ears Plattan, but those were just too uncomfortable.. They sounded great, but I couldn't keep them on my head for more than 30 minutes. Please post any suggestions that might help :)

Sound preferences, music preferences (genres, etc), preferences concerning comfort, isolation, build?

Any access to online stores or just local stuff?  Can you describe how they were uncomfortable?

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,204 of 5,364
I listen to prolly every genre out there, so a good all-rounder would be nice. I'm pretty sure I have a normal sized noggin and regular ears, and I can buy either online or local shops. Regarding the Plattans, they were just way too tight on the ears. Hope this helps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2,205 of 5,364
Quote:
I listen to prolly every genre out there, so a good all-rounder would be nice. I'm pretty sure I have a normal sized noggin and regular ears, and I can buy either online or local shops. Regarding the Plattans, they were just way too tight on the ears. Hope this helps 
smily_headphones1.gif

Try the Stretch or the Downtowns yet? They usually have them at Best Buy. Pretty decent sound. Not a lot of good all-round on-ears under $100, or at any price really.

Signature preferences? As in preferred levels of bass, midrange, treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back