Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #2,176 of 5,364
Quote:

Hello all,
I'm looking for my first "serious" pair of IEM's and have narrowed down the game for two models - Shure SE215 and Klipsch X10.
To make a long story short, it basically gets down to this:
- The SE215 can be conveniently bought from a local authorized dealer, with full warranty.
- The X10 can only be bought abroad (via Amazon), imported, and at the bottom line be a bit more expensive (assuming no surprises in regards to taxes - about 20$-25$ more overall) and have no warranty (or not a useful one, anyway - I won't ship it back to Amazon in case of problems, the cost isn't worth it probably).
The X10 also seems to be officially discontinued.

Now, considering all of the above, are the X10 (or anything else, for that matter, in the sub 90$ range) a definite improvement over the SE215 that is worth the trouble?

Thanks, Adam.

Quote:

More of a sidegrade than anything else. Will depend on your sound preferences, preferred genres. Even then, the X10 seem like too much of a hassle.

Thanks.
My listening preferences are pretty varied, but if I have to generalize I'll say "rock" in a pretty general use of this term (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Pixeis, Smashing Pumpkins...).
That being said, I really do listed to a pretty varied music, and while heavy bass is fun, it isn't a must, and a decent bass with more variety on higher notes is perhaps better.
Does this change anything in favor of the X10 when comparing to the SE215 ?
From what I've read, they seem to have a general similar sonic signature, with the X10 doing it a bit "better".
Adam.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,177 of 5,364

would the citiscape downdowns be a decent cheaper alternative to the M-80s?  i actually quite like the look of the gray downtowns, though i am hearing they're excessively muddy-sounding...

The Downtowns would be muddier than the M80, not necessarily muddy in general. Barely even congested sounding, let alone muddy. Gotta agree with WAYNENUMM here. Ridiculously cheap at Winners, tons in stock where I am.

Thanks for your response! Hmm, I think I should try stepping out of my comfort zone a bit. You said something about the Brainwavz Beta, how do they compare with the NuForce NE-600X? The minimum requirement for me is to have earbuds/IEMs that don't sound tinny.

Ironically, have never heard the Nuforce even though the local store used to stock tons of them. Just never got around to it. The Betas are among the few IEMs that have such a shallow insertion. Slight V-shaped sig, with fast, tight bass, clear mids and tons of treble. Should be pretty fun for trance. Although people do complain about the treble at times, so I guess they would go fall under the "tinny" criteria in some cases. Still worth a look at though. The FXD40, M2, and GR02 Bass do quite well for bass-heavy techno, probably some of the best bass within the price range. Personally don't find anything of interest around the $70 mark, so you could go much lower or a bit higher.

Quote:
Thanks.
My listening preferences are pretty varied, but if I have to generalize I'll say "rock" in a pretty general use of this term (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Pixeis, Smashing Pumpkins...).
Does this change anything in favor of the X10 when comparing to the SE215 ?
From what I've read, they seem to have a general similar sonic signature, with the X10 doing it a bit "better".
Adam.

Depends on what is perceived by better. FR response is sort of similar, and they do have similar amounts of body. The X10s IMO have more texture, while the Shure's note presentation is a bit more rounded. Personally favor the slightly more aggressive mids on the SE215 for rock, but that would be purely preference.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #2,178 of 5,364
I got a big problem.. I got no idea whether i should buy MH1C, GR07, GR01, R50 rock it sound or Tdk ba200 or some relative priced iems.
I used to have my GR06 until i lost it. I like the SQ of it. Though i prefer more mids from there like the ones from 8320. Alot better separation than both. I love separation esp in orchestra.
Soundstage are also very impt. As wide.
Imaging, definitely yes.
Prefered a balanced sounding if possible. Slight bump is alright, don't like bass emphasised like EB900 or clarity based SR60 type. Balanced, but slightly warmer.

Thank you !

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2,179 of 5,364
Hi guys, i,m new in this forums. I don't write very good the english jeje. I'm in New York for holydays and i want to know what is the better headphone that can i buy with 150-200 u$d, thanks. I listen rock, punk rock (red hot chili peppers, foo fighters, green day, sum 41, blink 182, etc

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,180 of 5,364
Been doing some research on headphones over the past few days using your site and kinda got the format for asking for headphone advice down. 

Source: iPhone 4S
Looking for: Headphones reasonably priced with not too much leakage. Want my headphones to look fashionable. In the price range of 80 and down.( a little bit up is okay as well) 
I've come down to the Koss Pro DJ100 vs Incipio NX-100 (havent heard too much about it) vs Panasonic RP-HTX7 (I love the throwback look of these) vs DT 235 white

I usually listen to alternative rock as well as some of the oldies. Mumford and sons is a new favorite along with electronica music for some reason. I think it helps with my studying or something. 

My previous headphones have been the ones included with the iphone and my only headphone experience has been with skullcandy which I fast discovered made ****ty products. I'm pretty sure I don't know the basics of sound like bass so I really don't know what sound quality I need.

Any help picking between these or any new suggestions would be such a help.
Cheers!

Edit: Also I wear glasses so comfort is also a concern. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,182 of 5,364
Hey all, could use some advice on IEMs.  Not looking to spend more than about $150-200, and my main concerns are noise isolation, long-term comfort, and durability.  I'm autistic and noise can be quite painful/upsetting to me - high frequencies like passing sirens or screaming children especially, but also the high notes if I'm listening to music at an otherwise comfortable (or even a bit low) volume.  Any lower, continuous rumbling noises are also quite uncomfortable after a few minutes, so the more isolation, the better (and I'm on the road a fair bit too).  Something I can leave in all day once I'm settled that would make me effectively deaf to the outside world would be lovely!  If I can fall asleep with them in without breaking them, all the better.  And a push-to-listen-to-people button would be a nice bonus.  Oh, I also wear glasses, so no headphones, and I don't think the kind where the wires go behind your ears would work either.

Music quality is a secondary concern; I've never owned a good pair of head/earphones, and I doubt I actually know my listening preferences.  I like house music, rock, some mainstream pop - quite fond of opera, but those high notes usually require me to turn the volume down much further than I'd like.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,183 of 5,364
Quote:

Depends on what is perceived by better. FR response is sort of similar, and they do have similar amounts of body. The X10s IMO have more texture, while the Shure's note presentation is a bit more rounded. Personally favor the slightly more aggressive mids on the SE215 for rock, but that would be purely preference.

Well, it turned out to be neither... :)
I couldn't resist the Meelectronics year-end 35% coupon, and end up ordering a pair of A161P.
Unless I'll have some surprises along the way, this are supposed to end up even cheaper than the SE215 which I pretty much settled on.
As for the no-practical-warranty stuff... well, hoping for the best.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2,184 of 5,364
Hi, I lost my previous IEMs (RE0) and I've been thinking of what to replace it with. I'm willing to spend around $150~. I'm currently looking at the GR07 MKII because they were considered balanced IEMs. However, right now the GR07 Bass Editions on are sale, I've been wondering if anyone has any experiences with the Bass Editions in comparisons to the MKII or comparisons to the RE0 atleast. Been listening to Post-Rock, J-Rock, Downtempo, Hip-hop. Source is J3, Unamped.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,185 of 5,364
I've got a friend who liked the SOL Republic Tracks when he tried them, due to their simple, 'cool' design and mainstream sound, but when he went back and heard them again he wasn't so sure as the Tracks lacked clarity. He is also not sure which of the Tracks (130 AUD), Tracks HD (180 AUD) and Ultra (240 AUD, sheesh) would suit him best.

I told him to consider some other options. I'd like to keep them below $200, the closer to $100 the better. His sound requirements are:

1. Warm signature, with at least a little bass rumble
2. 'Clarity', or decent detail retrieval.

Having racked my brains, I suggested the UE6000 and UE4000, which he says look nice (and I say sound good, having auditioned them), but I'd like to see what else the portable audio experts on head-fi think. I'd like 2 or 3 other alternatives, if possible!

Summary: Recommendations for a stylish, over or on-ear, portable headphone with warm sound sig but reasonable detail for less than 200 AUD, as an alternative to the SOL Republic line.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2,186 of 5,364
Quote:
I've got a friend who liked the SOL Republic Tracks when he tried them, due to their simple, 'cool' design and mainstream sound, but when he went back and heard them again he wasn't so sure as the Tracks lacked clarity. He is also not sure which of the Tracks (130 AUD), Tracks HD (180 AUD) and Ultra (240 AUD, sheesh) would suit him best.

I told him to consider some other options. I'd like to keep them below $200, the closer to $100 the better. His sound requirements are:

1. Warm signature, with at least a little bass rumble
2. 'Clarity', or decent detail retrieval.

Having racked my brains, I suggested the UE6000 and UE4000, which he says look nice (and I say sound good, having auditioned them), but I'd like to see what else the portable audio experts on head-fi think. I'd like 2 or 3 other alternatives, if possible!

Summary: Recommendations for a stylish, over or on-ear, portable headphone with warm sound sig but reasonable detail for less than 200 AUD, as an alternative to the SOL Republic line.

M80s would be the obvious choices. Couldn't get a good listen with the UE6000 since it was at a demo stand

Quote:
Hi, I lost my previous IEMs (RE0) and I've been thinking of what to replace it with. I'm willing to spend around $150~. I'm currently looking at the GR07 MKII because they were considered balanced IEMs. However, right now the GR07 Bass Editions on are sale, I've been wondering if anyone has any experiences with the Bass Editions in comparisons to the MKII or comparisons to the RE0 atleast. Been listening to Post-Rock, J-Rock, Downtempo, Hip-hop. Source is J3, Unamped.

Sorry, haven't heard the Bass Edition, but can do the GR07 vs RE0 from memory. In short, the RE0 does not do post-rock as well. And that's my main genre apart from Jazz, so most of the stuff I tried with them was post-rock to one extent or another. The VSonics have more body, better timbre. I happen to like the RE0 signature more, since that's my preference, but the note presentation is lean compared to the GR07, unassuming. I want my epic Mono crescendos to really hit me hard! 

Build is also vastly improved, as well as comfort and ergonomics in general.

Quote:
Hey all, could use some advice on IEMs.  Not looking to spend more than about $150-200, and my main concerns are noise isolation, long-term comfort, and durability.  I'm autistic and noise can be quite painful/upsetting to me - high frequencies like passing sirens or screaming children especially, but also the high notes if I'm listening to music at an otherwise comfortable (or even a bit low) volume.  Any lower, continuous rumbling noises are also quite uncomfortable after a few minutes, so the more isolation, the better (and I'm on the road a fair bit too).  Something I can leave in all day once I'm settled that would make me effectively deaf to the outside world would be lovely!  If I can fall asleep with them in without breaking them, all the better.  And a push-to-listen-to-people button would be a nice bonus.  Oh, I also wear glasses, so no headphones, and I don't think the kind where the wires go behind your ears would work either.

Music quality is a secondary concern; I've never owned a good pair of head/earphones, and I doubt I actually know my listening preferences.  I like house music, rock, some mainstream pop - quite fond of opera, but those high notes usually require me to turn the volume down much further than I'd like.

ER4P. Actually the HF5, because of the budget. Probably the most isolating IEM on the planet. Straight-down style for them is fine too. 

Again, Etys for isolation. No question (hey that rhymed). A concern that could be made is that these do have some treble boost. EQ will do wonders for it, but just to let you know. The bass isn't very rumbly, better described as a tight, fast punch.

Quote:
Been doing some research on headphones over the past few days using your site and kinda got the format for asking for headphone advice down. 

Source: iPhone 4S
Looking for: Headphones reasonably priced with not too much leakage. Want my headphones to look fashionable. In the price range of 80 and down.( a little bit up is okay as well) 
I've come down to the Koss Pro DJ100 vs Incipio NX-100 (havent heard too much about it) vs Panasonic RP-HTX7 (I love the throwback look of these) vs DT 235 white

I usually listen to alternative rock as well as some of the oldies. Mumford and sons is a new favorite along with electronica music for some reason. I think it helps with my studying or something. 

My previous headphones have been the ones included with the iphone and my only headphone experience has been with skullcandy which I fast discovered made ****ty products. I'm pretty sure I don't know the basics of sound like bass so I really don't know what sound quality I need.

Any help picking between these or any new suggestions would be such a help.
Cheers!

Edit: Also I wear glasses so comfort is also a concern. 

The DT235 would probably work better for the alt rock and oldies. More comfortable than the DJ100 as well, though I don't think I got a good fit with those (they are great for electronic though). Downtowns could also work for fashion, decent sound, on-ear so the glasses issue is mitigated.

Quote:
Hi guys, i,m new in this forums. I don't write very good the english jeje. I'm in New York for holydays and i want to know what is the better headphone that can i buy with 150-200 u$d, thanks. I listen rock, punk rock (red hot chili peppers, foo fighters, green day, sum 41, blink 182, etc

GR07s do great with rock. Sound preferences, comfort, isolation a factor?

Quote:
I got a big problem.. I got no idea whether i should buy MH1C, GR07, GR01, R50 rock it sound or Tdk ba200 or some relative priced iems.
I used to have my GR06 until i lost it. I like the SQ of it. Though i prefer more mids from there like the ones from 8320. Alot better separation than both. I love separation esp in orchestra.
Soundstage are also very impt. As wide.
Imaging, definitely yes.
Prefered a balanced sounding if possible. Slight bump is alright, don't like bass emphasised like EB900 or clarity based SR60 type. Balanced, but slightly warmer.
Thank you !

More mids than the GR06? Wow. MH1C come close, but also tons more bass. GR01s and the R50 are more clarity oriented, not exactly warm (though the note presentation on the GR01 is soft, and they are balanced in the end). GR07s play into the balanced spectrum pretty nicely. Slightly warm, great separation for sure. Soundstage is a bit above average-sized.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2,187 of 5,364
The DT235 would probably work better for the alt rock and oldies. More comfortable than the DJ100 as well, though I don't think I got a good fit with those (they are great for electronic though). Downtowns could also work for fashion, decent sound, on-ear so the glasses issue is mitigated.

Thanks for taking the time to respond TwinQy! I just have a few more follow up questions: What size ears do you have? So I can follow up on the bad fit on the Dj100. And what is your take on the RP-HTX7? I've been looking at them for a while, but am wondering how exactly they stack up to the other headphones (especially the dt-235). There's just something about that retro styling that I love. Cheers!

Edit: Just realized I confused the portable headphones category for the full headphones category. Thought portable was referring to smaller headphones not like the big ones for DJ's and etc.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2,188 of 5,364
I'm looking to buy IEM's for up to 40-50$ and I could really use some help. I listen to various kinds of music, but mostly to prog rock, jazz (everything from swing and vocal jazz to free jazz and avant-garde jazz), as well as to some classical music.

I'm not well versed in the headphone and audio terminology, but I'd like IEM's which sound as close to the way a track was originally intended to be listened. So I guess I'm looking for an analytical, resolving, detailed, natural(?) sounding IEM's, of course good comfortability and isolation are always a plus. I don't want an overly bassy IEM's, which seems to be quite common in this price range, but I also wouldn't want lows to be poorly articulated; I'd like for it to sound just right, if you know what I mean; well as close to just right as one can get in this price range...

Maybe a musical example, i.e. which IEM's would you suggest for something like this: John Coltrane - The Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost?

I made sort of a shortlist based on some reviews and opinions I've gathered from here and some other sites:

Soundmagic E10
Soundmagic E30
RadiopPaq Jazz
Xears XE200PRO
Rock-It Sounds R-20
Brainwavz M5
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz R1
Brainwavz Beta
Sony MH1C
VSonic GR99
VSonic GR02 (which one? There's seems to be quite a few different models of these)
VSonic VC02 - these are my current frontrunners, according to what I read here about them they might be the closest to what I'm looking for?

All opinions are welcome. Thank you. :)

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,189 of 5,364
Quote:
Sorry, haven't heard the Bass Edition, but can do the GR07 vs RE0 from memory. In short, the RE0 does not do post-rock as well. And that's my main genre apart from Jazz, so most of the stuff I tried with them was post-rock to one extent or another. The VSonics have more body, better timbre. I happen to like the RE0 signature more, since that's my preference, but the note presentation is lean compared to the GR07, unassuming. I want my epic Mono crescendos to really hit me hard! 

Build is also vastly improved, as well as comfort and ergonomics in general.

Hmm, thanks. I think I'll rather play it safe and just wait for a good deal on the GR07 MKII (hopefully) and probably searching out for other IEMs in the meantime. Yeah, one thing in particular I've noticed about listening to Mono with the RE0 was it was great hearing the soft melodies right before the drums and heavy distortions. But when the drums hit they don't really hit hard, I mean you can still hear them if you try but they don't stand out. But I really loved the clarity and the feeling of hearing the individual instruments when the music slowed down.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,190 of 5,364
From what i have read here on head-fi the best IEM for rock a la Red Hot Chili Peppers / arctic monkeys and music like radiohead and coldplay would be the GR07 (or i am i mistaken?)

But what would you suggest for said music/bands: the mkII or the bass edition? (I have read the short review of the 3 on headphile, but can't find the long comp. between the 3 GR07's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back