Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,146 of 5,364
Quote:

More of a sidegrade than anything else. Will depend on your sound preferences, preferred genres. Even then, the X10 seem like too much of a hassle.

I though the new RE-400/600 were the ones that had vents. Don't remember the RE-262 having vents. Not sure about the RE-272, but probably doesn't. 

Guess the XB500s are out of the equations then. 
tongue.gif
 How about the new XB line? Seem to look pretty sleek, haven't heard them, so not sure about the sound. You'll have to do a bit more research on that. Also the HD25-1, great on-ears, fantastic bass kick, tight, aggressive sound. Amazing isolation, almost IEM-esque. Might be above budget though. Used, some sellers, you could get a better deal. Not sure about the EU situation with these though.

Also the LP2. Over-ear, but still pretty portable. No leakage outwards, but average isolation. Plenty of bass, fits right under that budget. Aesthetics are pretty nice IMO.

Preferred genres, sound preferences? Any consideration/opinions towards build?

Repost from before:

Then try out the M50, good overall tonality for rock, sometimes a bit metallic in the treble. The SRH840 also do quite well for rock. 

The TMA-1 would be quite a different phone from the HD25-1. Much, much, darker, and warmer as well. Not very fast transients compared to the Senns, so might not keep up as well for electronic. Try the K618 or the M80s yet? Different approaches to sound, better comfort IMO. If you like the K550, might want to look into the DT1350 (haven't heard them personally though).

The Philips have much, much more bass. The quantity can get excessive.  The RE-262 have more texture, goes deeper, softer notes but somehow more articulate, from memory. Don't even need to compare the rest of the spectrum. The RE-262s are the more proficient phones, through and through.

Preferred genres, sound preferences? Any consideration/opinions towards isolation, build?

MH1Cs are pretty fun and bassy, good for techno and pop. Also one of the few IEMs at that price with mic/remote capabilities.

Sorry double post

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,147 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello all, there are so many headphones out there that there is no hope for me to select one on my own. Here is my story:

I'm a university student and I was looking to get headphones before the Spring semester starts. I will be wearing them on the train and also while walking (which I have to do a lot of), so I need them to be the ear-bud kind, I don't want them to have the band that goes around the head. I currently use the Sony MDR-V6 (sometimes with a FiiO E6 amp) and really like the way they sound. 

I'm not quiet comfortable with the ones that actually enter the ear canals (I believe they're called IEMs?), so I would like to avoid those.

What I need:
- Something that doesn't pop out of the ears easily while walking and moving around,
- Be able to pump out deeper than average bass without losing the mids and highs. (Yes, I REALLY like bass, but NOT the muddled/"cool" Beats by Dre kind)

BIG pluses:
- Cord as long as the ones that come with iPhones/iPads,
- No tangling of cord,

I listen to trance and progressive. I'm a huge fan of Armin van Buuren's mixes, for example.

Design-wise, I'm not quiet sure how to explain it, but I would prefer them to be something that fit into the curvature of my ears, or perhaps the athletic kind that are supported by the back and top of the ears. I get ultra annoyed when the little iPhone ear-buds pop out or feel loose, this would be unacceptable with the ones I get.

Price range: Cheaper the better. I'm in college, so I'm practically broke
tongue.gif
. I'm okay with spending up to $70-$80. Heck, even $70 will make me feel the pinch, but oh well.

Yes, I realise these are ear-buds we're talking about and I'm not spending hundreds, so I'm not expecting a miracle, but I DO want decent (and non-tinny) quality sound.

Thank you for your help!

For me, earbuds pop out all the time. It's just how they are. There's really nothing keeping them in apart from the structure of your ear, and even then... At least IEMs get a seal. Haven't experienced any earbuds with decent deep bass apart from the EarPods. A good upgrade in terms of proficiency from the stock iBuds, though I miss the tonality of the older ones. Guess you're going for the over-ear style if you're exercising with these. The Yuins and Blox are highly regarded here as well, but they don't do much for your ergonomics problem (at least the EarPods are more ergonomic than your typical earbuds). 

Sure you can't go with an IEM with a shallow seal? With comfortable tips (preferably foam), you can't even feel them when they go in shallow. The Brainwavz Beta would be a good example of this.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,148 of 5,364
Quote:

Wrong quote above. It's almost impossible not to find those Sonys. Yeah, Amazon is out of stock at the moment. But there is a staggering amount of ebay sellers who have them in stock. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=Sony+MH1c. And most of them are genuine. 

If the mic/remote isn't mandatory, the M2, GR02 Bass would do fine for your genres as well. If you're in Canada, or near Canada, or know someone in/near Canada, the TDK MT300s go for $5 (highest $10) here, some of the best textured bass under $40. Maybe a kind head-fier could ship out some extra pairs as well (the people on the MT300 thread are being surprisingly nice about that right now).

Suprisingly XScargo has the TDK MT 300 for cheap.

Ty

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,150 of 5,364
Quote:

Not sure about the CT-200. I think the ljokerl thread you mentioned is one of the few that has them reviewed. Almost anything will get a better fit and seal than the TF10s, so not too much to worry about there. I would say check out the SM3 for deep bass, great warmth and natural tonality. Not as treble-happy as the DT770 though. In fact, the not too present treble is one of people's major gripes with them. Also the new AT and JVC flagship IEMs are around your budget, obviously haven't heard them, but worth looking into anyways.

Hmm I don't like the sound of the very recessed treble on the SM3. The 1964 V3s have now caught my eye too, they come in cheaper than a pair of ue900 and the universal aspect still makes them seem of much higher "value" to me. Any thoughts on this?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,151 of 5,364
Hi, i'm looking for a pair of IEM that sounds like Monoprice 8320 but with a better fit since my friend is a lady.
she likes the sound characteristic of my 8320 but she just couldn't find a perfect fit.

ps: she said my MH1C is not her taste due to too much bass lol

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,152 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, i'm looking for a pair of IEM that sounds like Monoprice 8320 but with a better fit since my friend is a lady.
she likes the sound characteristic of my 8320 but she just couldn't find a perfect fit.

ps: she said my MH1C is not her taste due to too much bass lol

Oops, she said she liked the vocal of 8320, she enjoyed the high.
but she needs more detail of the backgrounds. she said when theres multiple intrumentals, the background is a mess on 8320, she couldnt hear clearly.
she listen to Jpop mostly

thanks

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,153 of 5,364
Quote:

but she needs more detail of the backgrounds. she said when theres multiple intrumentals, the background is a mess on 8320, she couldnt hear clearly.

thanks

While I personally haven't heard it, many on the Vsonic VC02 thread really seem to enjoy the mids and highs, and say it has fantastic instrument separation.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,155 of 5,364
Quote:
Hmm I don't like the sound of the very recessed treble on the SM3. The 1964 V3s have now caught my eye too, they come in cheaper than a pair of ue900 and the universal aspect still makes them seem of much higher "value" to me. Any thoughts on this?

No idea regarding customs, sorry. Resale value would be horrible though, making UIEMs around that price a much better deal long-term. Personal bias notwithstanding of course.

Quote:

thanks

Background a mess? Likely referring to the larger-than-usual soundstage, which make things very diffuse. The E30 would be a step up in that regard, plus a similar tonality and FR. Though I am most likely getting the VC02 mentioned above as soon as the local store has them in stock. Also appeals to me as a 8320 upgrade without the hassle of fit.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,156 of 5,364
hi, im a newb on headphones, the best i have currently is monster turbine iem and it got tiring really fast. hate how the bass feels overwhelms all the others im currently in the market for a replacement, on ear / over ear is preffered, and im going to use it 99% on mobile gadgets like ipad, note2 and iphone 4.
my criteria is as follow:
1) i dont understand much about tonal balance and all, all i want is just a headphone that sounds nice and not overwhelming
2) it can be driven without an amp ( better with an amp is okay, as long as the amp is not a must)
3) clarity, good bass but not overwhelming
4) budget is $350 ish, don't care much about sound isolation, i'm indifferent between open cans or closed cans

currently im leaning toward
1) ath-M50
2) phillips fidelio L1
3) sennheiser momentum
4) vmoda M80
5)beyerdynamic dt1350

im living in indonesia so trying these thing is out of the question. im going to buy blind here, no tries no return. a friend is going to buy the cans from the US thanks alot

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,158 of 5,364
Quote:

No idea regarding customs, sorry. Resale value would be horrible though, making UIEMs around that price a much better deal long-term. Personal bias notwithstanding of course.

Background a mess? Likely referring to the larger-than-usual soundstage, which make things very diffuse. The E30 would be a step up in that regard, plus a similar tonality and FR. Though I am most likely getting the VC02 mentioned above as soon as the local store has them in stock. Also appeals to me as a 8320 upgrade without the hassle of fit.

I think shes describing the clarity not separation.
she does not mind having a large sound stage, but clarity is a must. if it has to sacrifice the sound stage to gain clarity, its fine.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,160 of 5,364
Quote:
Are they bass heavy? she's not a bass head at all i think, since she disliked my MH1C which i like =[

The FX40 doesn't have nearly as much bass as the MH1C, and it's simply the clearest set I've heard anywhere near its price bracket. My girlfriend is a classically trained vocalist, and she's been unimpressed with a lot of my phones. The second she heard the FX40, she commandeered it. 

Give them a try:  http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX40S-Carbon-Nanotubes-Headphone/dp/B0079LE57C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356756930&sr=8-5&keywords=fx40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back