Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,952 of 5,364
Quote:
So, I'm looking for a in-ear pair of headphones.
I like bass, but not too much of it.
I listen mostly to rock/metal.

First I was thinking about buying MH1C, but now my budget increased and I can get a more comfortable pair(the flat cable on the MH1C look's pretty uncomfortable).

So, my budget is 100$. I'd like to buy them on eBay because i'm not from US.

Quote:
@Rocker2012

I was just recommended the Dunu DN-18 Hawkeye right at 68$ FWIW.

Bingo. They'd do pretty well. The SE215 do fairly well for rock/metal as well under 100. I find the over-ear style to be much more comfortable. Honestly, I might like the Hawkeye more at the moment, but again, new toy syndrome. The Shures have a fuller and more aggressive midrange, with slightly more details, though it's very slight. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #1,953 of 5,364
How is the clarity/comfort on the Dunu N18 in your opinion?

I've read one thing mentioning they lack clarity and it just occurred to me to ask about comfort as I've had a bad set or two in the past.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,954 of 5,364
Quote:
How is the clarity/comfort on the Dunu N18 in your opinion?

I've read one thing mentioning they lack clarity and it just occurred to me to ask about comfort as I've had a bad set or two in the past.

Comfort is fine. Typical of your straight-barrel stuff. More dependent on the tips really, so you can get some really comfy tips with these. Favourite are the VSonic Hybrid clones. Clarity is not their strong suit, that's true. It's a more fun and forgiving sound, for sure. 

The GR02 Bass will have more clarity in the mids, but also slightly more bass. Build won't be up to par with the Dunus though (can't think of much under 60 that would)

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #1,955 of 5,364
Quote:

Are the Senns vented, because I can't for the life of me remember. I do remember they having a shallower seal, but not particularly bad leakage.  Because typically, IEMs do not leak out sound unless the volume is rather high.

The nozzles on the HF5/2 are a bit thin and will probably be more likely to break than my ER4P. And the MC5 are slightly more plasticky. Combined with the fact that they isolate extreme amounts. Didn't realize over-isolation was in the criteria, so I take back the Ety recommendation back. They do not leak for sure though. Even if you crank them to ear-popping levels. 

Can-wise, forgot the Stretches had the track remote. The demo at the Best Buy in Bellingham had the regular cable model. Didn't think they isolated too much.

I don't think the Senns are vented. Though not sure I could tell if they were. Maybe it's just the shallower seal. I think it has a lot to do with my perception. At home when I test them I know they can leak alot after the volume reaches some point, so when I'm out and the volume jumps up at a certain point in the song, I always assume they are leaking. Then I'm always worrying about it. I just want something that I can be assured will not leak.

I looked at a review of the HF2s here and someone said they thought the durability issues were with the older model that came without the kevlar cords/connectors, or such. I might end up trying both of these and seeing which I like best (after I check the return policies
wink_face.gif
). I know my options are limited with my feature requests and having an android phone. Thanks for all the input. This has really helped me narrow what seemed like an overwhelming field.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,956 of 5,364
Would the Klipsch S4 offer similar quality/sound/comfort? Asking because I see them like half off and they are usually the same price.

I'm ok with a little more clarity but, I really don't want to need another set in a year or two, especially if I'm paying over $40. I want something that will last until I can afford to and want to replace it.

I'm willing to sacrifice clarity if the durability and overall quality are better. I'm also very willing to pay the extra for the DN-18's but, want to explore as many options as possible first.
Edit: Apparently amazon won't ship the Dunu to my location... I wasn't going to order but, I did want to see what the price would be after shipping and handling.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,957 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't think the Senns are vented. Though not sure I could tell if they were. Maybe it's just the shallower seal. I think it has a lot to do with my perception. At home when I test them I know they can leak alot after the volume reaches some point, so when I'm out and the volume jumps up at a certain point in the song, I always assume they are leaking. Then I'm always worrying about it. I just want something that I can be assured will not leak.

I looked at a review of the HF2s here and someone said they thought the durability issues were with the older model that came without the kevlar cords/connectors, or such. I might end up trying both of these and seeing which I like best (after I check the return policies
wink_face.gif
). I know my options are limited with my feature requests and having an android phone. Thanks for all the input. This has really helped me narrow what seemed like an overwhelming field.

I'm paranoid with my full-sized cans as well. Then I realize that even though they're open, I listen at an impossibly low level that  it doesn't even matter.

You won't be the first to take advantage of return policies 
wink.gif
. How else would I still not be broke after all that spending on IEMs? All I can say is hooray for Amazon!

Quote:
Would the Klipsch S4 offer similar quality/sound/comfort? Asking because I see them like half off and they are usually the same price.

I'm ok with a little more clarity but, I really don't want to need another set in a year or two, especially if I'm paying over $40. I want something that will last until I can afford to and want to replace it.

I'm willing to sacrifice clarity if the durability and overall quality are better. I'm also very willing to pay the extra for the DN-18's but, want to explore as many options as possible first.

I found the S4s to have a weird FR, typical V-shape with spiky treble. Plenty of people like them enough though, which was why they were so popular back in the day. The clarity comes from the treble presence, but I don't really think they're innately more clear or detailed. I've heard bad stuff about their durability, but never found much of a problem when I owned them.

Always a dilemma between build and SQ at this price. Can never seem to have it all. There's also the Craters, which are the less bassy, more midrange-forward and technicality-talent brother of the Hawkeyes. Didn't bother with them since they were vented though. Ordered 3 pairs of the Hawkeyes instead. 

I'd say build would definitely go to the Dunus in the end. Again, the GR02 Bass are slightly clearer and proficient overall. The housing isn't metal, but solid. Cable is stronger on the Dunu, but the VSonics have nicer strain reliefs from what I remember (not that the Hawkeye's strain relief lacks any).

Another metal housing IEM to consider are the M5s. Thought the sound was mighty impressive, bass was plentiful and nice, mids were clearer from what I can remember, better than my M2s, that's for sure. Though the cabling is thin, paltry and unassuming against the Hawkeyes. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #1,959 of 5,364
Quote:
Edit: Apparently amazon won't ship the Dunu to my location... I wasn't going to order but, I did want to see what the price would be after shipping and handling.

US, Europe, or somewhere else? These two are the only other shops I'm aware of that carries them. http://eden-audio.com/shop/index.php?id_product=95&controller=product&id_lang=1, http://www.topdogheadphones.com/brand/dunu/dunu-dn-18-hawkeye-dynamic-in-ear-earphones 

No idea regarding the price discrepancy. Assuming one's more reputable than the other, best you go with that. They used to have their own ebay shop, but now they only stock the Ares (good IEM, build isn't as good as the Hawkeyes though).

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #1,960 of 5,364

Audio Technica cks70 --- cks99

Hey guys,

Would you please comment about buying cks99.

Currently i am using cks70 for 2 years and i am very happy with cks70.

-Do you recommend me to buy cks99 ?
-Will i have a far experience with cks99 after cks70 ?
-or do you suggest me anything else?

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #1,961 of 5,364
Quote:

Completely agree with the microphonics part in the review. At that price, the PFE022 are supremely balanced, a solid heavy-hitter. Flat, but adjustable bass with the filters. Smooth mids, great for vocals. Treble quantity is the kind where it really hits the sweet spot in terms of balance. 

Hi again,

Do you think the BrainWavz B2 will be better than PFE022? if you dont mind can you break down to a more detailed explanation :D thx, u seem to be the pro around here, hehe.

and i only want to wear my earphones straight down. :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #1,963 of 5,364
Quote:

K518DJ (shameless re-plug, but they are very nice). Never liked the HD205, HD2*8, from what I heard in Future Shop, Best Buy. The other pairs out in the wild sounded just as mediocre. Take that with a grain of biased salt though.

thanks for the reply, but here in India AKG is not available everywhere, only Sennheiser,Sony,certain Audio Technica headphones are available, so can you please recommend headphones from the aforementioned brands which cost less or fall in between the 50-70$ price range, I have shortlisted px100 and ATH sj11 and sj55

i listen to rock,rap,metal and house music, and the ear cups should be rotate-able(not sure if thats a word :p) im a casual listener and for me portability, comfort voice quality is really important.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #1,964 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Chill stuff, midrange-to-bass centric? You could go the fun route with some MH1C/GR02 Bass, balanced with the E30. Anything that he's looking for build/comfort-wise? Features like mic/remote?

Foldable? Not that I can think of. If your ears are average or slightly larger than average, the MS400 are supposed to be circumaural, but they fit on-ear apparantly for a lot of folks. And I'm positive that these are foldable, at least I think so...No detachable cable though.A bit more bass heavy than the M80, definitely what I would consider within the realm of bass-heavy bass.

You might want to think about compromising on one of the points though, unless me/someone else miraculously comes up with an option that might work on all fronts.

I was looking at the GR02 bass but was worried it would be too bass heavy. I went to a Suns-Clippers game last night and I let him try on my Vsonic GR99's during the 4th quarter rumble, not too much to my surprise they blocked out probably 80% of the noise, but he was absolutely amazed by them. I think the Vsonics would be perfect for him. I think he would benefit from an in line remote but he's never had one before so I don't know that he'll miss it at all.

Well, I might have to snag the M80's then. Or some Solo HD's
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Not too serious about the Solo's
What about the SMS by 50 on ears or the SL100's? I know they both fold but I couldnt find too much info on the sound. I heard the SMS actually sounded pretty decent.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,965 of 5,364
Hey guys, so I'm looking with headphones with decent isolation and a lot of bass.
Would you prefer either AKG K518LE, K518DJ, or Philips Downtowns?
My list is pretty small cause it's for my friend, and she's veeeery picky about what kind of stuff she wants. Has to be on-ear, not too big, and pretty (hahaha). She didn't like the V-Modas, or the HD-25, or the M-50s.
Also, living in Canada doesn't help with prices. If you have other suggestions though, please let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back