Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,681 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure I'll miss the soundstaging, but I barely use the HD600, so it's almost gathering dust in the corner... I've heard good things about the DT1350, but I'm trying to avoid supra-aural headphones if possible. I actually miss my ESW9 a bit, so I might just buy another pair of those if I go supra-aural.

I've heard mixed things about the Z1000, which I'm quite interested in. I think I might wait for a few more reviews on some of the ~$300 circumaural portables that are coming out. It's a shame that so many of them have Bluetooth and noise-cancellation which are features I neither need nor want.

I'm actually trying to think of circumaural portables around the ~$500 range so I can do a bit of research on them, but they don't seem to exist. Any suggestions?

I had the SRH840 for the exact same reason of having a similar sounding portable to the HD580. But since that's way under budget...

Can't say that there's a lot of portable cans at the 500 mark though. Good luck with your search! 

If you're open to IEMs though, I can think of tons of HD600-like sigs at that price. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,682 of 5,364
Quote:
I had the SRH840 for the exact same reason of having a similar sounding portable to the HD580. But since that's way under budget...

Can't say that there's a lot of portable cans at the 500 mark though. Good luck with your search! 

If you're open to IEMs though, I can think of tons of HD600-like sigs at that price. 

Yes, a more portable SRH840 would probably be ideal. The thing is, the SRH840 is just barely portable.

Looking at some of the Audio-Technica Japan-only stuff. Gorgeous design... now if the sound was good...

And I'm pretty happy with my IEMs right now (RE262, Heir 4.Ai). This headphone purchase is kinda just to supplement them when I don't want to jam things into my ear, since I expect to use the IEMs a bit more. Maybe $500 is too high of a budget... probably more like $300-400 (what I get from selling the HD600/Asgard combo really).

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,683 of 5,364
Hello!

So, I recently purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH M-50s. I loved them and thought my jaws wouldn't be bothered by them, but they hurt after five minutes of use (I have TMJ). Therefore, I need to return them and now I am looking into closed, on-ear headphones with good bass and lows. I mainly listen to hip, r&b, occasional dubstep, etc. Basically anything that gets me pumped. So what do you recommend? Comfort is also a must!

Oh! And my budget is $200.

Thank you!

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,684 of 5,364
Yeah, I'm sure I'll miss the soundstaging, but I barely use the HD600, so it's almost gathering dust in the corner... I've heard good things about the DT1350, but I'm trying to avoid supra-aural headphones if possible. I actually miss my ESW9 a bit, so I might just buy another pair of those if I go supra-aural.

I've heard mixed things about the Z1000, which I'm quite interested in. I think I might wait for a few more reviews on some of the ~$300 circumaural portables that are coming out. It's a shame that so many of them have Bluetooth and noise-cancellation which are features I neither need nor want.

I'm actually trying to think of circumaural portables around the $400-500 range so I can do a bit of research on them, but they don't seem to exist. Any suggestions?

Well there is also the new K551 $350 which is a portable but big (not too heavy though). It is a more mid centric headphone and I love the sound (have the 550 non portable version). Only warning is getting the proper seal if finicky on people with smallish heads and I tested it with sunglasses just to see how it would fare for glasses wearers and it was a no-go. Then the new Tiesto K267 coming out on Dec 17th if I recall the date correctly. It has an adjustable bass port. It is projected around $300 ish.

You have prolly read the same mixed reviews about the momentum that I have but I am still looking forward to hearing those.

If you wanna find out about the K551, the 550 version is available at some Best Buys in the home audio area (not usually over by the beats and such). Perhaps you can give them a listen. As a note the K550 are among the best closed performers in terms of soundstage. Wish I had experience with the ES9 to give you more helful comparrison info.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,685 of 5,364
Well there is also the new K551 $350 which is a portable but big (not too heavy though). It is a more mid centric headphone and I love the sound (have the 550 non portable version). Only warning is getting the proper seal if finicky on people with smallish heads and I tested it with sunglasses just to see how it would fare for glasses wearers and it was a no-go. Then the new Tiesto K267 coming out on Dec 17th if I recall the date correctly. It has an adjustable bass port. It is projected around $300 ish.
You have prolly read the same mixed reviews about the momentum that I have but I am still looking forward to hearing those.
If you wanna find out about the K551, the 550 version is available at some Best Buys in the home audio area (not usually over by the beats and such). Perhaps you can give them a listen. As a note the K550 are among the best closed performers in terms of soundstage. Wish I had experience with the ES9 to give you more helful comparrison info.

Yeah, the K550 would be one. It's pretty similar throughout, but there is just way more upper-midrange to treble in there. Skews the tonality away from HD600 IMO.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,686 of 5,364
Quote:
Yeah, the K550 would be one. It's pretty similar throughout, but there is just way more upper-midrange to treble in there. Skews the tonality away from HD600 IMO.

Yeah, I did consider it, but it's pretty much too large to be even a decent portable. I guess I'm looking for something that I can at least toss in a bag (Sennheiser Momentum sized I suppose).

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,687 of 5,364

Quote:
Hello!

So, I recently purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH M-50s. I loved them and thought my jaws wouldn't be bothered by them, but they hurt after five minutes of use (I have TMJ). Therefore, I need to return them and now I am looking into closed, on-ear headphones with good bass and lows. I mainly listen to hip, r&b, occasional dubstep, etc. Basically anything that gets me pumped. So what do you recommend? Comfort is also a must!

Thank you!

Maybe the HD-25-1, since they're so good for electronic. The clamp might be a bit too much because of your jaw. Another decent on-ear without much clamp would be the M80s. Good bass, slightly emphasized, not as fast as the HD-25-1, but pretty fun sounding. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,688 of 5,364
Aaaalright guys let's do THIS:

Searching for advice:

$100 Portable Headphone/In Ear Monitor for use with a FiiO e7,

Music: Trance, Ambient trance, downtempo, chillout, lounge...

:)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:)

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,689 of 5,364
Hello!

Thank you!

Maybe the HD-25-1, since they're so good for electronic. The clamp might be a bit too much because of your jaw. Another decent on-ear without much clamp would be the M80s. Good bass, slightly emphasized, not as fast as the HD-25-1, but pretty fun sounding. 

Agree on the M80. If the M50 drives you nuts after 5 mins, the HD25 will too (after 4 mins :)). The M80 is not a clampy headphone from my recollection. Just less bass and less isolation.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,690 of 5,364
Yeah, I did consider it, but it's pretty much too large to be even a decent portable. I guess I'm looking for something that I can at least toss in a bag (Sennheiser Momentum sized I suppose).

Sir I would not be tossing those anywhere... :)

I think you are stuck with at least a carry case for any decent phone. Only thing I would think has that kind of durability is the HD25 models. That thick bendable plastic.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,691 of 5,364
Quote:
Aaaalright guys let's do THIS:

Searching for advice:

$100 Portable Heaphone/In Ear Monitor for use with a FiiO e7,

Music: Trance, Ambient trance, downtempo, chillout, lounge...

:)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:):)Thank you:)

You could go both ways IEM-wise: you could aim for a quick-sounding set like the HF5 that can keep up really well for your genres, or something a bit more full-bodied and fun like the SE215 and Turbines.

Cans-wise, K518DJ or HP700, probably. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,692 of 5,364
I've been looking at CIEMs as a replacement to most of my over/on ear headphones, since I could use the isolation, and the portability.
The only problem is that I'm not sure if there's really anything under 400$ that I could sell my Q701s to get, that would sound better than the 701s. I know IEMs cost a bit more for sound similar to full sized cans, but would it be possible to get some that could compete with them at least?

I was looking at the Alclair Reference, since they supposedly are a decent all-arounder and still have a neutral sound that could be used professionally (very important) 
I listen to pretty much everything, and a lot of complex progressive metal and classical that tends to get a bit jumbled up with headphones like my M80s. I'm a big fan of the AKG sound though, and could just do with a touch more bass / warmth, which seems to put the 1964 V3 in the playing field too.

My budget would be from 250-400$, probably more towards 400 is what I'd be spending though, since I won't be worrying about a hefty amp as much, I'd assume my E10/E6 could handle most IEMs pretty easily.
Any recommendations would be a big help!

Edit- Universal fit IEMs could also be taken into consideration, but they would have to have some top notch comfort and isolation. I've just dealt with too many that don't fit right, and don't want to have to deal with that on a couple hundred dollar product.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,693 of 5,364
I am trying to decide between the GR07 Mk2 and the GR07 Bass Edition. I can only afford one IEM to do everything, both music and films. I would not necessarily consider myself an audiophile (on this student's income that would be cost prohibitive), but I am demanding of sound quality.  I don't have enough experience with Hi-Fi to really know what my preferences are in sound signature so I am judging almost entirely from what I read on this forum.  I want excellent quality sub-bass, I know that much.  My main music sound source is Spotify (Extreme Quality) through the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Un-amped though I am debating saving up to buy a portable amp in the future.  I have previously owned one pair of IEM, the Shure E4.  

I listen to a wide range of music: Ambient/Downtempo/Triphop (Tycho, Ulrich Schnauss, Ott, M83, Massive Attack, Portishead, etc,)  Indie Rock / Pop / Singer Songwriter (Elliott Smith, Fleet Foxes, Iron and Wine, Warpaint, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Florence + The Machine, Dresden Dolls, etc,)  Jazz/Fusion (Cab Calloway, Louis Armstrong, Weather Report, etc)  Classical violin solos, cello solos, chamber music, choral music, accapella, classical/bluegrass fusion like The Goat Rodeo Sessions, EDM (House, Trance, Jungle, Dubstep, etc)

Last week I was reading Azathoth's comparison on Headphiles (though the thread seems to have dissappeared??) between the two, and it only made my indecision worse.  I need some more insight.  He said that the sub-bass bleeds into the mid-range just a little bit on the Bass Edition, coloring the low-mids a bit adding some fullness to vocals and that there signature was more "fun". I am thinking that will be a good thing for me, but wading through all the audiophilic hairsplitting on this forum makes me have doubts.

Please, anyone who has heard both the Mk2 and the Bass Edition, tell me more about them!!

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,694 of 5,364
Quote:

You could go both ways IEM-wise: you could aim for a quick-sounding set like the HF5 that can keep up really well for your genres, or something a bit more full-bodied and fun like the SE215 and Turbines.

Cans-wise, K518DJ or HP700, probably. 

First of all thanks you for the reply...

Cans-speaking... why do you think i have to buy the K518DJ instead of the K450 for example?

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,695 of 5,364
Quote:
First of all thanks you for the reply...

Cans-speaking... why do you think i have to buy the K518DJ instead of the K450 for example?

Well, you don't HAVE to buy the K518DJ (that makes me sound like a horrible person). They were just the first off the top of my head at that price range, that I thought might suit well for your type of music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back