Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,666 of 5,364
Hi,
             I am a newbie looking for some advice/suggestion. My first iem was Sony's MDR-EX 57 which I found has decent(not great) bass & midrange, but sibilant and piercing treble, so had to eq  it way down from 1khz right through 20khz. Next was Brainwavz-m1 which has less bass than the sony, but better midrange. But still I found the treble to be slightly sparkly(but not piercing) and had to eq it down. Now I realize that my ears had gotten accustomed and love a dark sound with less treble than normal. So bright, sparkly or analytical in an iem is a strict no-no for me. I have also auditioned many iems from friends here and there, but none seem to give the deep, rumbling ,impactful bass and the rich, warm, lush sound of a decent 2.1 home system. Which iem at around $100 budget level would be the most suitable for me? Is it unreasonable to expect those things from an iem? Would full size headphones be more suited to provide those qualities which I need? It would be very helpful if the experienced members would help me out on my next iem purchase. Thanks in advance...

Have you tried taking a read through the $100 dollar section of Jokers IEM Shootout?

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,667 of 5,364
Hello,

I'm a "beginner" audiophile looking for a new set of on-ear cans for everyday use and travel. That being said, so far I have only had experience with a limited number of headphones - most notably, the ATH-M50 and TF10. I have enjoyed both of those headphones, but sadly, I had to let the TF10 go to recuperate funds. Now, I am out of a portable headphone aside from my ATH-CKM500 that I'm not too big a fan of. I'm torn between these two sets: the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the V-Moda M80. I usually listen to alternative rock with a side of orchestral/classical and music you'd typically hear from an anime soundtrack. Most important factors are a natural sounding treble, with mid and bass presence (maybe a boomy, intimate sound).

Which would you suggest for my needs? The Senns or the V-Moda? Or would there be anything else? I'm open to all suggestions.

Regards

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,668 of 5,364
Hello,

I'm a "beginner" audiophile looking for a new set of on-ear cans.....
The sennys are going to be more V shaped than the M80 which have less bass emphasis and better midrange. I would think if you really enjoyed the TF10 prolly the senny would be a better fit. I think the M80 is a more comfortable HP for my head.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,669 of 5,364
Hey guys so I narrowed my choices to a few in the $200-300 range. Mostly listen to EDM, Hip Hop/Rap, R&B but still listen to Acoustic, Rock, Metal time to time.

Heir Audio 3.ai
Westone 4,3, UM3X
Sennheiser IE80
Earsonics sm3 v2
Aurisonics ASG-1.2 or maybe wait for ASG-2 to come out?

Need something for an upgrade from my Miles Davis Tributes, probably something with a deeper more powerful bass but still has great clarity in the mids and highs. Are there any other IEMs I should look at? Thanks in advance for the help.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,670 of 5,364
Hello,

I'm a "beginner" audiophile looking for a new set of on-ear cans for everyday use and travel. That being said, so far I have only had experience with a limited number of headphones - most notably, the ATH-M50 and TF10. I have enjoyed both of those headphones, but sadly, I had to let the TF10 go to recuperate funds. Now, I am out of a portable headphone aside from my ATH-CKM500 that I'm not too big a fan of. I'm torn between these two sets: the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the V-Moda M80. I usually listen to alternative rock with a side of orchestral/classical and music you'd typically hear from an anime soundtrack. Most important factors are a natural sounding treble, with mid and bass presence (maybe a boomy, intimate sound).

Which would you suggest for my needs? The Senns or the V-Moda? Or would there be anything else? I'm open to all suggestions.

Regards

I do like the hd25s a bit more since the lower mids and the resolution makes rock sound much more exciting, but I do find the Hd25 a bit bothersome with anime soundtracks. Some soundtracks are good, but some of the anime soundtrack recordings are horrible, you might equally enjoy both headphones but the m80 is less revealing to bad recordings while the hd25 just make bad recordings sound...bad...

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,671 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,
             I am a newbie looking for some advice/suggestion. My first iem was Sony's MDR-EX 57 which I found has decent(not great) bass & midrange, but sibilant and piercing treble, so had to eq  it way down from 1khz right through 20khz. Next was Brainwavz-m1 which has less bass than the sony, but better midrange. But still I found the treble to be slightly sparkly(but not piercing) and had to eq it down. Now I realize that my ears had gotten accustomed and love a dark sound with less treble than normal. So bright, sparkly or analytical in an iem is a strict no-no for me. I have also auditioned many iems from friends here and there, but none seem to give the deep, rumbling ,impactful bass and the rich, warm, lush sound of a decent 2.1 home system. Which iem at around $100 budget level would be the most suitable for me? Is it unreasonable to expect those things from an iem? Would full size headphones be more suited to provide those qualities which I need? It would be very helpful if the experienced members would help me out on my next iem purchase. Thanks in advance...

You're not looking for soundstage though, right? In that case, you could probably stick with IEMs. Have you heard the Turbines? Lots of full-bodied bass there. The CKM99, Hippo VB, Eternas, also dig pretty deep.

Quote:
Hey guys so I narrowed my choices to a few in the $200-300 range. Mostly listen to EDM, Hip Hop/Rap, R&B but still listen to Acoustic, Rock, Metal time to time.

Heir Audio 3.ai
Westone 4,3, UM3X
Sennheiser IE80
Earsonics sm3 v2

Need something for an upgrade from my Miles Davis Tributes, probably something with a deeper more powerful bass but still has great clarity in the mids and highs. Are there any other IEMs I should look at? Thanks in advance for the help.

Err, can't say too much for the others, but W4/UM3X/SM3 having great clarity in the mids/highs...they're all pretty mid-forward/centre, with a warm, thick sound antithetic with preceived "clarity". Same would sort of go for the IE80, but that bass is so nice, that you'll probably forgive it. If the 3.Ai are anything like the 4.Ai I heard, but obviously with some more bass, they might be what you're looking for. The Atomic Floyds had really good bass as well, and the treble definitely brought out some of that preceived clarity. 

Quote:
seeking for a balanced in-ear headphone under 200 dollars that is great with soul :)

PFE122, always. Fantastic with vocals, very smooth and enjoyable.

Quote:
Hi,
I bought the Philips SHE3580 a while ago, based on Joe Bloggs's review - thank you! - and I like them.
As much as I like them, I would like to upgrade. I want something similar in sound signature, but with more clarity on mids and better sound stage.
Soundstage is the main reason I want something better.
I listen mostly to rock, progressive, pop, electro, some metal.
I like warm sound with deep bass (not boomy), and not too harsh treble, but good detail, mids little recessed.
I'm not an audiophile (I guess), but maybe will become
smily_headphones1.gif

Budget is around 80$, I use a Sansa Clip+ with no amp, and I buy in Europe.
These are some of the models I can buy, I also give the price for you to consider, because it is different here:
- Shure SE 215K - 127 US $
- Philips SHE9800 - 48 US $
- Sony XBA-1 - 68 US $
- Klipsch Image S4 - 100 US $
- Sennheiser CX 400-II - 57 US $
- Octone IEM Pro - 39 US $
Octone - never heard of them, looks very interesting for the price:
http://www.octone.eu/index.php?id=46&L=0
http://www.amazon.de/Octone-IEM-Pro-Monitoring-Profi-Frequenzgang/dp/B0055QAH7A
Some of the other brands I can buy here are:
AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Jamo, Jays, NOCS, Pioneer.
What do you recommend?
Thanks a lot!

Well, right off the bat, I can tell you that the SE215 are mid-forward. If you really want that V-shape at that price, stick with the Dunu. If you can go up to the SE215 price, try the JVC FXD80. Beautiful V-shape right there.

Quote:
Hello Everyone! Need your help here. I'm looking to get an upgrade, and really need your opinion.
So far, I've owned Sony MDR NC020, UE Metrofi 100, Klipsch S3, Sennheiser CX215 and UE 600.
- My Rig: Sony Vaio laptop, Sony Walkman S744, Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy Note
- Type of usage: Music, sometimes video.
- File format: 320kbps mp3, flac
- Music genre: Variety of music genres, basically any music.
- Budget: Maximum $200
- Earphone: Looking for an IEM with good bass and clarity, basically an all rounder.
- Other requirements (if any): Comfortable and can take to sleep.
Thanks all! ;D

GR07/PFE122. Some of the best all-rounders at that price IMO. The Phonaks are super small, you won't notice them at all when you wear them to sleep probably (can't say that I've tried!)

Quote:
I recently got some Phonak Audeo PFE132s, and they're pretty great with the grey filters, but I was wondering if there were any IEMs with more a pronounced treble that people could recommend. I wouldn't mind a little more bassiness either, but I don't like the sound of either the black or green filters for these things.

Yeah, the FXT90/FXD80 might be your ticket, around the PFE132 price. What's your budget though?

Quote:
Hi,

I am newbie here... I am from India.. here we dont have much choices available locally...
I want to buy IEM for my smartphone(Samsung Galaxy Note), my budget is USD$150.. & I BUY IN INDIA

I am Getting Sony XBA-3 in  USD $ 150 (8K INR).. 

I listen Trance, Folk & some times Rock music also.. 3-4 hours/day

I tried XBA-3 with my smartphone in the shop yesterday.. but bass was not that significant ( i am not audiophile so might not have good understanding of quality of bass) ..
my friend told me it would also require amplifier if i want to use this with my cellphone.. XBA3i is not available in india which is for ipod & iphone...

Please guide me through... as this is my first BA IEM... should i buy it at this cost.. is it worth...?
seperate amp is also required for smartphone use.. ? if its required..which one i buy...?

Is there any other option at this price range.. 

Thanks

If you don't like them, why buy them? I thought that the XBA-3 had good bass body, so if you want to give them a fair shake and get them for a few days, and return them if you don't like them (something I do way too often, Amazon must hate me now!)...

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #1,672 of 5,364
Quote:
Err, can't say too much for the others, but W4/UM3X/SM3 having great clarity in the mids/highs...they're all pretty mid-forward/centre, with a warm, thick sound antithetic with preceived "clarity". Same would sort of go for the IE80, but that bass is so nice, that you'll probably forgive it. If the 3.Ai are anything like the 4.Ai I heard, but obviously with some more bass, they might be what you're looking for. The Atomic Floyds had really good bass as well, and the treble definitely brought out some of that preceived clarity. 

Thanks for the great response TwinQY as always, out of the W4/UM3X/SM3 which would provide the best quality of bass while providing strong mids and clear highs as well as a larger soundstage? Also I am planning on buying a simple portable amp since I have none at the moment so which one would be the best that would drive any of these IEMs best? Currently I am looking at iBasso, NuForce, and FiiO at the moment but don't really have an idea what would be a good choice. Thanks again!

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,673 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a new set of IEMs after I lost my pair of Sennheiser CX271s
I strongly disliked the boomy bass of those though.

Price: ~100 Euro
Available in: Switzerland or Germany
Preferred Sound: Analytical
Useage: Mobile, (workplace PC, train or airplane).
Driven by: RME Babyface if available.

I found a good deal for the Etymotic research HF5, So I don't need recommendations any more.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,674 of 5,364
I'm looking for a portable HD600/Asgard replacement. I find myself using my home set-up less and less, so I'm thinking about letting it go in favor of a more portable option. Price range ~$500, portable and circumaural if possible; supra-aural if needed. They need to be closed. I prefer a mid-centric sound with good bass and treble balance. I listen to mainly indie rock and I'll be driving this out of a AudioQuest DragonFly.

Not sure if this is even possible to replace a full set-up, but I've been looking at the Sony MDR-1R and MDR-Z1000, UE6000, Senn Momentum, and some of the Audio-Technica ES line. I don't care for noise cancellation, so the PSB and some of the UE models didn't really appeal. Most of these headphones are still relatively new though, so I guess I might need to wait for more reviews to come in?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,675 of 5,364
Quote:

Heir Audio 3.ai
Westone 4,3, UM3X
Sennheiser IE80
Earsonics sm3 v2

Out of the Westone earphones I have heard (all three you listed), I would go with the W3. It has more bass than the W4 and UM3X and is better suited to EDM/Rap imo.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,676 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks for the great response TwinQY as always, out of the W4/UM3X/SM3 which would provide the best quality of bass while providing strong mids and clear highs as well as a larger soundstage? Also I am planning on buying a simple portable amp since I have none at the moment so which one would be the best that would drive any of these IEMs best? Currently I am looking at iBasso, NuForce, and FiiO at the moment but don't really have an idea what would be a good choice. Thanks again!

Probably the W4 or the SM3. Soundstage isn't so big on the UM3X, but separation and width is just eery. The W4 have a great size, immense positioning and imaging. The SM3 has an all-around thing going on, with sound being able to come from any direction. All of them have strong mids, the W4 mids are a bit more polished and warm, the SM3 are a bit more thick and lush. And I would give the
nod on the highs to the W4, they are slightly more present, which isn't saying much, since the three all are pretty laid-back in the treble. If you're just starting out on amps, I would look at the E11 more. Sounds great with the W4, I can tell you that!

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,677 of 5,364
Quote:

Probably the W4 or the SM3. Soundstage isn't so big on the UM3X, but separation and width is just eery. The W4 have a great size, immense positioning and imaging. The SM3 has an all-around thing going on, with sound being able to come from any direction. All of them have strong mids, the W4 mids are a bit more polished and warm, the SM3 are a bit more thick and lush. And I would give the
nod on the highs to the W4, they are slightly more present, which isn't saying much, since the three all are pretty laid-back in the treble. If you're just starting out on amps, I would look at the E11 more. Sounds great with the W4, I can tell you that!

How does the W4 compare with EX1000?

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,678 of 5,364
Quote:
How does the W4 compare with EX1000?

Very well. If the EX1000 didn't have that awful fit, I would have a hard time choosing between the two. The EX1000 bass is more textured, detailed, a bit more full-bodied. The W4 bass is a bit more emphasized, very fast with good extension. The mids are more prominent on the W4, both are very smooth, but the EX1000 would win on clarity and the W4 would win on details (IMO). The treble, and really the whole presentation is airy, on the EX1000, while the W4 are more laid-back and focused, with what I feel to be better imaging and positioning. It's great fun to compare and AB the two, since I found them to be the most even-handed between all the other IEMs. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,679 of 5,364
I'm looking for a portable HD600/Asgard replacement. I find myself using my home set-up less and less, so I'm thinking about letting it go in favor of a more portable option. Price range ~$500, portable and circumaural if possible; supra-aural if needed. They need to be closed. I prefer a mid-centric sound with good bass and treble balance. I listen to mainly indie rock and I'll be driving this out of a AudioQuest DragonFly.

Not sure if this is even possible to replace a full set-up, but I've been looking at the Sony MDR-1R and MDR-Z1000, UE6000, Senn Momentum, and some of the Audio-Technica ES line. I don't care for noise cancellation, so the PSB and some of the UE models didn't really appeal. Most of these headphones are still relatively new though, so I guess I might need to wait for more reviews to come in?

Thanks!

Hey there. I haven't heard all of those models. The UE6000 i agree for sure is not going to be your ticket.

Just based on description alone I would also recommend checking into the DT1350 on ear headphone. The isolation is actually quite good and it is a balanced more mid-centric sound without sounding "boring". The thing that will be the biggest shock factor for you making that transition is going to be the soundstage coming in on you but IMO the detail and separation of instruments make up for the closer in your face sound. I wish I had experience with the momentum and ath-esxxx phones to give a comparison. .

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,680 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey there. I haven't heard all of those models. The UE6000 i agree for sure is not going to be your ticket.
Just based on description alone I would also recommend checking into the DT1350 on ear headphone. The isolation is actually quite good and it is a balanced more mid-centric sound without sounding "boring". The thing that will be the biggest shock factor for you making that transition is going to be the soundstage coming in on you but IMO the detail and separation of instruments make up for the closer in your face sound. I wish I had experience with the momentum and ath-esxxx phones to give a comparison. .

Yeah, I'm sure I'll miss the soundstaging, but I barely use the HD600, so it's almost gathering dust in the corner... I've heard good things about the DT1350, but I'm trying to avoid supra-aural headphones if possible. I actually miss my ESW9 a bit, so I might just buy another pair of those if I go supra-aural.

I've heard mixed things about the Z1000, which I'm quite interested in. I think I might wait for a few more reviews on some of the ~$300 circumaural portables that are coming out. It's a shame that so many of them have Bluetooth and noise-cancellation which are features I neither need nor want.

I'm actually trying to think of circumaural portables around the $400-500 range so I can do a bit of research on them, but they don't seem to exist. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back