Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,457 of 5,364
Quote:
List out you preferences in music listening and any other details of what kind of sound you want. Neutral?, bassy?, shimmery highs? or mor midrange? You will get better advice that way.

I guess I am a fan of bass, though i dont want anything overpowering. I want to hear it though i dont want it to sound muddy. I also would like to hear clarity in the bass and across all regions as well. I listen to a wide range of music, from bass and hip hop to country to acoustic to rock to jazz and sometimes even classical. I guess im just looking for earphones that sound great all around. I want to be indulged and isolated in the music as well, so a good soundstage may work out for me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,458 of 5,364
Sadly I do have exactly the problem that my outer ear is just too small, so it looks like no Westone 4s for me. Heir Audio 4.ai look considerably smaller compared to the Westones - is that right?

I am thinking those are looking about the same size too me. Certainly at least as big as the M6 you mentioned earlier. I think you are going to have to go with more of a bullet style IEM.

I am sure when TwinQY logs on he can recommend a bunch but there is one I am intrigued with right now that you can look at that is inexpensive and I have seen several people raving about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630235/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread/30

Once you get to about page 3 of that thread ClieOS joins in and starts to give some sound comparrisons.

In anycase, I think that style of UIEM is going to be the best fit for your ears.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,459 of 5,364
Hey guys I have been looking for some budget iem's under $50, and i have narrowed it down to about 4 choices, I listen mostly to Rap, Rock, and R&B, and the source will be my iPhone 4s, So between these what would you choose?
1. Sony MH1C
2. Philips SHE3850
3. Brainwavz M1
4. Brainwavz ProAlpha

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,460 of 5,364
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a custom IEM and I'd like a bit of help in choosing. I spend a lot of time in trains, so it needs to have adequate isolation (as far as I can see, practically every custom IEM on the market has good isolation) and to be able to perform decently without amplification and dedicated DACs when on the move (if possible I would like to avoid having to cart around a portable amplifier) from sources like an iPhone 4S.
I mainly listen to classical music (more piano or strings than full-size orchestras), minimalist electronica, dark ambient and postmodern (but I can accept that the aforementioned noisy train will never be a good setting for Ligeti, no matter what the equipment is).
My budget is around 600-700€ (keeping in mind shipping costs to Europe and the need to have casts taken), so I'm currently considering the UM Mage and the 1964 V6, but I do not have a full grasp of what the market offers.
I'd like to know if I should seriously consider spending less/more money (due to price/performance ratio plateaus or something), which other IEMs I should consider and finally which one between the two mentioned models might be better for the kind of music that I listen to.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,461 of 5,364
Hey guys I have been looking for some budget iem's under $50, and i have narrowed it down to about 4 choices, I listen mostly to Rap, Rock, and R&B, and the source will be my iPhone 4s, So between these what would you choose?
1. Sony MH1C
2. Philips SHE3850
3. Brainwavz M1
4. Brainwavz ProAlpha

I thought the MH1 sounded amazing with those genre's. On the same level with my TF10 with the test I did. Just study up on the J cable and if you are alright with that, give them a shot.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,462 of 5,364
Need help: For a classic rock, metal, trance listener who is looking for good soundstage IEM's with a budget of $110, should I go with the Audio-Technica ATH-CKS77BK or  Shure SE215-K   or MEElectronics A161 or something else? thanks

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,463 of 5,364
Quote:
Go to earphone solutions online store. They are running a 30% off right now on thee site. You should be able to get a Westone 4R for $350 or a UM3X for $300 if you are looking for more bass. Both are a siginifigant jump to the ones you have listed in the main. You will NOT regret getting one of those particularly the W4 IMO.
edit: coupon code THANKS2012

thanks for the help.  is it 30% off everything?  what would you recommend under $200 (after the 30% discount)?

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,464 of 5,364
After reading around I think I am most certainly going to try out the JVC HA-S500s.   I actually purchased JVC's HA-FX1Xs when they were 50% off few months ago and I've been pretty impressed with the bang for my buck since, so I'll give the HA-S500s a shot for sure. Which ones should I be going for, JVC HA-S500-B or Z? That is, are there key differences (besides price or if there is any such difference) that make that much of an impact?

Also, I see they need to be purchased from Japan.  A buddy of mine is actually going to be in Japan for a week starting a few days from now.  Tokyo, to be precise. How would he go about picking them up?

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,465 of 5,364
thanks for the help.  is it 30% off everything?  what would you recommend under $200 (after the 30% discount)?

Seems to be everything. I added some shures to cart and same deal.

This is the deal..... My take is to do it right to begin with. People compare the W4 with $1000+ custom iems. I would go for it since that is about 50 bucks less than the best deal i have seen so far (unless you were one of us lucky ones who got the inmotion fluke deal :D).

That being said there are a lot i havent heard. Fore sure when TwinQY decides to roll his lazy butt out of bed, he will be able to better answer the iem questions. You can wait for his answer if that is your spending limit right now which is understandable. It is a lot of money.

edit: Also check out Joker's IEM comparrison thread linked in the OP of this thread for ideas. He has it divided by price range.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,466 of 5,364
Im looking at the Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 022, The sony MH1C, the Rockit R-50, The Etymotic H5 and the Shure 215i. My main music source will probably be my iPhone or my Mac. Which of these do you recommend? Im really stuck here, as there are so many to choose from, and im sure ill be satisfied with any one of them. I really just want the best bang for my buck here. I listen to almost every genre of music, from rap to hip hop to country to jazz, and i just really want something i can be satisfied with. I do tend to overwork my headphones a lot and usually fall asleep with them on, so comfortability and durability is a must, BUT sound of course must come first. I like that all of these have inline mic controls so you can take that out of the equation. I do like quality OVER quantity of the bass, as long as the bass is present, not overwhelming, but strong and impactful in a good way. Please help me im going crazy over which ones to choose.. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,467 of 5,364
Quote:
Seems to be everything. I added some shures to cart and same deal.
This is the deal..... My take is to do it right to begin with. People compare the W4 with $1000+ custom iems. I would go for it since that is about 50 bucks less than the best deal i have seen so far.
That being said there are a lot i havent heard. Fore sure when TwinQY decides to roll his lazy butt out of bed, he will be able to better answer the iem questions. You can wait for his answer if that is your spending limit right now which is understandable. It is a lot of money.
edit: Also check out Joker's IEM comparrison thread linked in the OP of this thread for ideas. He has it divided by price range.

yea i checked that thread and thats where i got my original selection from.  So I guess now it's between the:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Klipsch Image X10i
Westone W2
Westone UM2  
They are all in the around the same price range (between $200-$300).  I wanna use it for listening mostly to hard rock, alternative, and electronic (on android phone and computer) and I'm looking for a little extra bass (i dont want too much bass though) but still want well defined mids and highs.  I guess i'll wait and see what TwinQY says...

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,468 of 5,364
As the SoundMAGIC PL-50 was introduced some three years ago, I am wondering if it is still considered a good buy?  I can purchase one for $30 bundled with an E17 from Micca, and at that price I am sorely tempted.  Currently, I have a Sony MH1C, MEE M11+, MTP Gold and an MD Tribute, so this would be my first BA IEM.  But it is now 2012, almost 2013...  A lot of new IEMs have been introduced since these hit the market.... Are there other budget BA IEMs I should consider?

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,469 of 5,364
I see lots of people using inner fidelity pdf files for reference on where the sound of the headphone is emphasized on, if I'm looking for strong bass, where and what should I look for?

Like for my current headphones of HD 439's I'm not really satisfied in terms of bass, so on the fidelity charts, the frequency response looks fine in the low end, but the impulse response is lacking.

Should I be looking for that? What numbers should I be looking for?

Also between impact of the bass (like found in House music) and more flowing bass (Like dubstep and DnB) I prefer more of the flowing bass, what should I look for in those fideltiy graphs?

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,470 of 5,364
I see lots of people using inner fidelity pdf files for reference on where the sound of the headphone is emphasized on, if I'm looking for strong bass, where and what should I look for?

Like for my current headphones of HD 439's I'm not really satisfied in terms of bass, so on the fidelity charts, the frequency response looks fine in the low end, but the impulse response is lacking.

Should I be looking for that? What numbers should I be looking for?

Also between impact of the bass (like found in House music) and more flowing bass (Like dubstep and DnB) I prefer more of the flowing bass, what should I look for in those fideltiy graphs?

I would not rely on graphs at all. They do tell you things but if you are not accustomed to interpreting them it is easier to just post in the full sized recommendations thread asking for what you are looking for. They will give you several ideas and then you can look up reviews and see if the sound seems to match your desired sig.

For instance I would throw out the UE6000 and tell you to go into your nearest bestbuy and give them a listen (bring your own source with you). There are also the Ultrasone 780 that are commonly recommended for your type of request although I must admit I haven't been able to try one yet. DT770's with a small amp like a Fiio will also deliver what you are looking for.

Last remark, go to headphone.com and they have a tutorial on how to interpret the various graphs as well. If you are interested in learning about them it is a good overview on where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back